Start by marking “White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)” as Want to Read:
White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)

White Witch, Black Curse

(The Hollows #7)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  45,599 ratings  ·  1,177 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Kim Harrison returns to the sinister and seductive Hollows for the newest blockcuster adventure featuring Rachel Morgan, witch and bounty hunter.

White Witch, Black Curse

Some wounds take time to heal...and some scars never fade.

Rachel Morgan, kick-ass witch and bounty hunter, has taken her fair share of hits, and has broken lines she swore
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 504 pages
Published February 24th 2009 by Eos

·  45,599 ratings  ·  1,177 reviews

Start your review of White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

White Witch, Black Curse introduces us to a new type of Inderlander—the banshee. Well, introduces us directly. Mia (the banshee) shows up in a couple of the novellas, but in the seventh installment of The Hollows, she is front and center. And not in a good way.

Harrison’s version of a banshee is more like a succubus or a psychic vampire. They’re seen before a person dies, not b/c they’re a herald of death, but b/c they’re doing the killing. By sucking the life force, or a
Lazaros
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
How could I not love this like all of the previous books? Not sure when there's going to be a book in this series that I do not give it 5 stars. This one deserved every single one of them, and so did its predecessors.

A child banshee unable to control her powers and a mother bringing hell on earth to keep her safe and to herself. Bashees suck on emotion and eventually kill you. I dig this hard, it's amazing to see how powerful some creatures are and it's not even a demon.

After the events of the
Schnaucl
Lightreads
Okay, I think we've officially entered the extremely strange realm where a book outstrips its author. I can't count the number of times there was this cool visual image (gargoyle correcting his size by plinking out ice cubes) or interesting emotional moment (Rachel having a flashback) and I nearly missed it because of a clumsy phrase or an anvil to the head. And this book lost major points with me for ham-handed exploitation of terminally ill children for emotional juice that it didn't even need ...more
Duchess Nicole
I can never quite love the Hollows books, but I never stop reading them, either! This is a world that you can't forget...there's something about the unique casting of characters and the way they all interact together that makes them so very memorable.

I just love Rachel and Jenks. Their friendship and complete and utter loyalty to each other make this series for me.

What about Ivy, you ask? That vampy chick pisses me right the hell OFF! I rant about Ivy in every review, but I'll do it again here
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
As much as I love the action and adventure in this series, it was nice to take a slight step back and get a bit of a softer side with Rachel and her interactions with her family, specifically, her brother Robbie and her mom, who I absolutely adored.

And while this book was a touch lighter on the action side it was still packed full of emotion as Ivy and Jenks still have a mystery to solve, memories to retrieve and demons to deal with.

So very much happens in this book, heck so much has happened
Kribu
Eh. It took me 13 days to get through this book (this is more than four times what a genre book this size would usually take), and it's not just because I was off travelling and had less time.

I could have made the time to read. I just .... had a hard time making myself go into the effort. And whenever I did, I inevitably got bored or sleepy after a chapter or two.

I don't even know. I've had problems with the writing in all the books in this series (and this one was no exception), but at least th
Lorena
Feb 24, 2009 rated it liked it
I generally like this series, but this book's ratio of ass-kicking to emotional self-indulgence was heavily weighted towards the emotional self-indulgence. I say "self-indulgence" because most of the book seemed to revolve around Rachel feeling sorry for herself and whining about how aloooooone she was because nobody understaaaaands her. The personalities of some other characters seemed to be entirely altered just to advance this agenda. That shift in how certain characters behaved, along with t ...more
Ja Ella
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
So happy with this book. It had some frustrating moments, but in the end I liked it so much.

With all those events happening, it's one of the few series that still hold my interest, even after book 7.

So curious about #8 :)
Jen Davis
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tell the truth. Did you take the time to read all of those Hollows short stories scattered in anthologies over the past few years? If the answer is yes, you're finally getting your payoff. Just about every short story associated with the series comes into play here. And while you didn't HAVE to read them all to understand, they certainly give the reveals here something-extra for the fans who went beyond the novels.

We pick up with Rachel accepting her deal with the demon, Al, to become his stude
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
I read this series because the worldbuilding is great, and the witchcraft is interesting and intricate. The author really has those things down pat. Unfortunatly, this series is kinda falling flat (for me, anyways) as it goes along. A character doesn't have to be perfect or even likeable for me to like reading about them, but Rachel is just plain annoying, and it's hard for me to have any kind of concern for the character. I am also sick to death of Ivy and the relationship angst between her and ...more
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The seventh book in the series, I found this one dragged a bit more than some of the others, although I think it ended really strong. It also tied up a number of loose ends that had been lying around, and although a few new ones were started, this had the feel of closing a major chapter or arc before beginning a new one.

This is also the first book that directly incorporates events from the novellas and short stories which have been published in anthologies (specifically Dates From Hell, Holidays
Beth The Vampire
When I started this series, I wanted to punch Rachel in the face and tell her to listen to the people around her instead of going charging into a situation half cocked. Now, all I want to do is give her a hug and tell the others to back the hell off. Like seriously, everyone is on her case about every little thing, and I want them all to get fucked! I think this is the first time that Rachel has really showed her vulnerabilities so openly, because when you think about it, her house is full of pe ...more
Gina
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: urban fantasy-paranormal lovers!
Jim
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've been reading the series since the beginning & this is book 7. It got an extra star because it is still so engaging. It's entertaining fluff & fun. Our heroine, a witch, is still trying to do right & still coming up with nothing but problems. She no sooner gets one thing settled than two others pop up. Which problems get solved & which new ones will pop up is the mystery. After 6 other books, I knew there wouldn't be a clean, happy ending. Hopefully, she'll end the series on a good note one ...more
Susana
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Well this was pretty much more of the same, and by that I mean that Rachel continues to get herself into all the messes and predicaments she can come up with! And that becomes exhausting to read.

Despite that, this continues to be one of my favourite urban fantasy series, mainly because I love the Hollows world and most of its insane characters _I may even have started warming up to Ivy.

Despite that, I can't help wishing that the book had been about half its size.
Oh, and can't we get Rachel a the
Melliane
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mon avis en Français

My English review

It’s been a while since I told myself that I should return to the series. Lexxie and Jessica’s reviews really made me want to go back to the stories, not that I needed that, because I really enjoyed all the novels. But it is true that with the release of the last volume, and given the great reviews, I was even more curious to get into the novels. Want to know why I did not read it sooner? Because I knew perfectly well that at the end of this book I was going
VampireNovelFan
Well, every series going for this long is bound to have that one book that just isn't up to par with the rest. I'm a huge fan of The Hollows, but this was definitely the weakest installment.

Rachel's shunned, cast aside as a black which in her community. She's also focused on figuring out who killed Kisten a couple of books back. All the while, she takes on a banshee that feeds herself and child by stealing auras from people.

The resolution to Kisten's death was anti-climatic at best. I am not su
Kira
2012: 4 stars
2020: 3 stars

Rachel is helping the FIB to go after an extremely dangerous banshee. She and Ivy are also trying to find out who killed Kisten. Someone from Rachel's past makes an unexpected appearance, and Al makes her life difficult.

Honestly I'm not sure why I liked this so much when I read it years ago. It was boring. All of the issues Rachel was dealing with often were forgotten about because Rachel kept focusing on the men she was interested in. I'm not sure why but it's damn ha
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Armina
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
This instalment seemed a little darker than some of the previous books in the series. What I didn't like so much is that it started a little slow and very little happened in general. Before the last third of the book I felt it somewhere below 4 stars but the last part totally made up for a solid 4 stars read.

In White Witch, Black Curse Rachel is mostly in a state of personal gloom. She needs to find (view spoiler), to tag down a banshee who thinks she rules the wo
Charlie
I couldn't really remember any of this book at all so it was quite like reading it for the first time. As usual, I was hooked with the adventures of Rachel and co. The ending was utterly heartbreaking, and I was devastated for Rachel and Ivy, though at least they got some closure. Re-reading this series has been such fun, I'm both anticipating and dreading getting to the end.
Steven
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This one was pretty epic. Lots of twists and turns, a lot of backstory revealed, some new/returning characters brought into the mix and developed, and a lot of Al hijinks. Fun fun!
Sara Kate
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars
So Rachel has been getting on my nerves lately. This girl just has waaaaay to much drama and the stuff with guys in her life is a bit ridiculous but I’m also still upset about the whole Kistan thing. So it was like rubbing salt in a wound when all they did was talk about Kistan in this book and then when Rachel finally remembered the memory she had spelled to forget, that just gutted me and is not helping me move on with this new story plot!
I will still press on though.
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου

You can see the following review also here: http://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.co...

It’s not easy to write a review for a book that is a part of a series that I absolutely love. I don’t know from where to start! This urban fantasy series by Kim Harrison is one of the best in this genre. The world-building, the not-at-all-black-or-white-but-totally-grey characters, the plot and twists and some of the best lines ever, make the whole series a pleasure to read!

Nothing is easy for Rachel for one more
jD
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading this installment, I better understood why some fans weren't feeling it. I am not one of those. I believe my positive experience with the book is because I didn't have to wait and generous spoilers. In truth, spoilers only tell me what happened but not how I will feel about it.

I did not expect to get excited about Pierce. I thought I would be unhappy that Trent is hardly in the book. I thought it was time for the gorgoyle to state his business. I thought Marshall was going to turn
Theshrewedshrew
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-hollows
One of the last lines of the book defines the entire book for me.

Al says something along the lines of "But he is Rachel candy..." I can't remember now if it was a statement or a question, but assuredly it is hilarious. Its one of the few lines and reason I still read The Hollows...
yeah I know if your 7 books in you should already have a reason, but Rachel is one of the most whiny rhymes with witchy character.

She has this moral code, which makes noooo sense. They are on the boat, people are as
Natasha
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Kim Harrison since I first read DEAD WITCH WALKING and I've never been disappointed. She writes the stories you wish you could have and makes you emotionally attached throughout. I don't think I could choose a favorite from this series but this installment is near the top.
It's action packed and a fast paced read. I read it in a few hours and could not put it down.
In this installment she puts to rest some ghosts and fights a lot of bad guys. She really goes though a lot of to
Sara
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Wow - I couldn't decided between 1 or 2 stars!

What are people thinking?????

Couldn't we just stick with the plot? I felt like this story was all over the place..too many lose ends never getting tied up! ARGH!!

I read all the other books in this series..only bored with book 2 and pissed in book 5 when one of the main characters gets offed.... but this one takes the cake for annoying the living &*$%@ out me.

The story starts out really good for the first 50 pages...then sucks for about 250 pages...t
Lorre
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing book in this series!
Rachel, Ivy and Jenks have a lot to deal with in this one.
Mia, the banshee, was a formidable opponent and I was so happy when she and her creepy husband Remus were finally behind bars!
Hollows Read-alon...: * I Opine.....Gordian Pierce 16 123 Feb 26, 2020 06:15PM
Hollows Read-alon...: Kisten and closure 4 45 Feb 22, 2020 11:10AM
Hollows Read-alon...: Hospital Escape! 10 54 Feb 17, 2020 10:52AM
Hollows Read-alon...: Ivy's Wish 5 39 Feb 17, 2020 10:46AM
Does it get better? 3 15 Mar 25, 2019 10:54AM
Vampires, Weres a...: White Witch, Black Curse 46 29 Apr 08, 2018 09:55AM
Urban Fantasy ser...: September SRA: WHITE WITCH, BLACK CURSE by Kim Harrison 2 9 Sep 07, 2016 12:18PM

• Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9)
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville, #4)
  • Grave Ransom (Alex Craft, #5)
  • Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville, #9)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3; Mercy Thompson World - Complete #9)
Kim Harrison is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, but she has written more than urban fantasy and has published over two-dozen books spanning the gamut from young adult, thriller, several anthologies, and has scripted two original graphic novels. She has also published traditional fantasy under the name Dawn Cook. Kim is currently working on a new Hollo ...more

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)

News & Interviews

“I only snatched him to get your attention,” I said. “Now that I’ve got it, this is what I want.”
“Damn my dame!” Al shouted, hands raised to the ceiling. “I knew it! Not another list!”
119 likes