Start by marking “Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)” as Want to Read:
Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)

Every Which Way But Dead

(The Hollows #3)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  65,037 ratings  ·  1,460 reviews
There's no witch in Cincinnati tougher, sexier, or more screwed up than bounty hunter Rachel Morgan, who's already put her love life and soul in dire jeopardy through her determined efforts to bring criminal night creatures to justice.

Between "runs," she has her hands full fending off the attentions of her blood-drinking partner, keeping a deadly secret from her backup, an
Mass Market Paperback, 501 pages
Published June 28th 2005 by HarperTorch

To ask other readers questions about Every Which Way But Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Which Way But Dead

·  65,037 ratings  ·  1,460 reviews

Start your review of Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
Robin (Bridge Four)
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Welcome to our What Kind of Heroine are you Quiz. Please select the option that best describes what you would do in the following situations:

You have recently started a business with a friend. Should you
A. Work as a team and solve mysteries and crime
together playing off each other’s strengths.
B. Go off on your own rarely telling your
partner what you are working on and where you
are going, with no indication on when you will
return.
C Hedge your bets and have a few other people
/beings you are workin
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at 61%. Go me and stuff.

Why the murderous crustaceans are DNFing this PoC™ thing and won't bother continuing with this series :

All relationship/romance/dating BS/crap and NO plot/story whatsoever. Rachel, Ivy, Nick, Kisten, Skimmer (view spoiler)…Reading this book feels like watching a bloody shrimping culebrón. Which might explain why much eyerolling and facepal
Luffy
This is a paranormal urban fantasy that I can like. It wasn't always apparent. I have been reading this series because it has an end. That kept me going in this particular book. Then things got marginally, then noticeably better.

The thing is that I don't know how to review a book from this subgenre. I didn't gasp in rapture at the sex scenes and I didn't take sides in Nick vs Kisten. I read the books for the story and the dialog, sometimes.

The ending was like a cozy mystery; family and friends t
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

You know how "they" say the things you hate in others are the things you like least about yourself?

When I was 21, after an extreme bout of poor decision-making, I decided to take a sabbatical from dating. In quick succession, I had dated a slightly-younger-than-me guy, a guy who was my age, and a more-than-slightly-older-than-me guy, and they were ALL great, big lamewads.

19 y.o. Mark, the 6'7'' college basketball player and DRAMA QUEEN liked to wake up, drink milk, and t
Sh3lly
1. Dead Witch Walking: ★★★★
2. The Good, the Bad, and the Undead: ★★★★★

SECOND READ: ★★★★
FIRST READ: ★★★★

Buddy read with the MacHalos.

I'll keep my 4 star rating for this re-read. It was still really good and some important things happened. Jenks isn't in this one much since he is still mad at Rachel. We meet NEWT. YES! David the werewolf is in this one more. We find out more about Ivy's family.

A lot of this one has to do with Rachel being involved in a magical terrorist attack with Trent and then
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Lazaros
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers
I'm glad this hasn't reached a low point. And I sure as hell hope it won't because so far I'm loving every second of reading this series. It's fast-paced, the action is abundant and there are so many characters I just can't help but love.

As you must have assumed, Rachel finds herself in an impossible situation once again. As the shit hit the fan and everything goes to hell. Rachel must find a way to get herself out of the deal with Algaliarept without getting herself or her friends killed in the
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I liked this audiobook but it was bit of a disappointment after absolutely loving the first two books in the series. This was a re-read for me but I actually didn't remember anything about it from my initial read years ago. I am actually pretty sure that this is the book that I stopped on when I started the series the first time. It was a good book but it wasn't anywhere near as entertaining as the first two in the series were for me.

This boo
Kat Kennedy
I have to deduct stars from this for several reasons. All three books so far have suffered from a shit-poor editing job and my inner editor constantly screams while reading them.

Then there's the fact that Rachel Morgan is just unbelievably stupid. Painfully stupid. So stupid that she shouldn't be allowed to live. So stupid that I don't understand why she IS alive.

I WILL read the next book because there're a number of things that intrigue me. However, if the next book isn't markedly better then
Jonetta
Even though there's a lot going on in this story, there seemed to be quite a few lulls. Fortunately, the many revelations kept it moving.

One of the things I like about Rachel is her ability to think her way through situations, especially when she's figuring out how to balance her magic skills with what she knows about the rules of her world. She's pressed to her limits in this story and learns so much about herself and her gifts.

I've not liked or trusted Nick Sparagmos and he doesn't do anythi
Emma
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one was excellent! A series that started well, got better in the second and has hit its stride in the third. I really enjoy the large cast. It reminds me of the Dresden files in that way, where each builds on the one before and the side characters develop along with the main protagonist and broaden the whole picture of the world created.
Recommended series. Book 4 here I come!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have a confession to make, I didn't love the first book in this series, in fact, I forced myself to finish it. And months later, decided to give the second a chance because some many people loved it.

And while I did like the second book, I still wasn't blown away by it and was still wondering, what all the fuss was about.

You see, it wasn't until book three, this book, that I finally got it. That something clicked and I understood what all the fuss was about.

Can I just say, I love Rachel, Ivy,
John
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural adventure, anyone who likes the Rachel Morgan series.
Shelves: fantasy, horror
This, third, book of Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series has the weakest plot so far. On the other hand, the character driven scenes kept me reading, and when the plot finally got rolling in the last 30% of the book, I was frothing.

The book starts out with two problems presented to Rachel: A demon that she owes favors to has come to collect, and a new crime boss in town is making life difficult for everyone. After that, we get a lot of character development and the plot fades away, showing up n
Sara Kate
I loved this one, starting to really get into this series. Also.... I mean can we talk about Kisten?!?! I am so up for Rachel and Kisten as a couple. I feel kinda bad for Ivy though and her strong feelings toward Rachel and her not knowing what to do with them. I hope Ivy will find someone.
Kira
Dec 25, 2011 rated it liked it
2011: 3 stars
2020: 2.5 stars

This is the book of unhealthy relationships. It was difficult to get through because in almost every situation I wanted Rachel to make the opposite choice of the one she did. Many parts highlighted how insecure Rachel is and how she is desperate to be liked. Those emotional issues are why she makes many of the poor choices that she does.

Rachel is a mess. She dives into things without thinking of the consequences over and over again. She’s only still alive by sheer luc
Linda
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading, audiobook
Re-reading via audio and it´s even better the second time around =)

Rachel´s having a hard time, the last time she had to save herself put her in debt with a demon, not a place you want to be. Now he´s coming to collect, her latest enemy is wanting her help and somehow she has to keep her new family safe. Could it be done?
PNR suspense, action and fluff in an awesome combo.
Bingelistening and loving it =)
Kribu
Hmm. I felt this one was a little weaker, overall, than the second book - possibly because there was a little less emphasis on plot and a little more on Rachel finding more or less every single guy hot.

It didn't really bother me - for which I need to give the author some props, because it so easily could have, and should have - but really, it was getting ever so slightly ridiculous how Rachel was basically drooling over every man she met. Kisten's hot. Trent's hot. David's hot. Lee's hot. Nick .
La La
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm currently on book three and I really don't know what to say. This series doesn't really do it for me but I feel deeply compelled to continue on hoping that it gets better. So far I find Rachel to be judgemental, a bit of a victim, and too stupid to live, yet she's suppose to be the baddest b^%$!. I don't see it. She's constantly getting her butt kicked and getting lucky in the end with the help of others. She can't stand Trent for his business dealings, drugs and biomedical research, which i ...more
★ʜɑʋɘɳ★
Srsly, this series could be so bloody amazing if Rachel weren't such a bloody idiot.
valee
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I loved this one!
So much better than the first 2 books. I enjoyed every page of this book, although it took me much more time to read it.

Rachel is becoming stronger, which I love, I really want her to become even more powerful than she already is.
Nick didn't make an appearance after the first half of the book, which IMHO was the reason for why I adored this book much more than the first 2. He is a boring and irrelevant character and (even if I know it is a terrible thing to say) I wish he could
Charlie
Not quite as good as book two but definitely still great. So far my series re-read is a success.
Mark
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
These just keep the high standards since the first book.

Good character maturity.
Kimberley doruyter
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
still enjoyable but it's starting to slip.
Anna Kander
Ah, Kisten. Still Rachel's best boyfriend ever.
Lauren Stoolfire
My favorite book in the series so far!
Carrie
I like the flow of this series.
Carly
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Book Reaction (not a full review)

In the third installment of Rachel Morgan's adventures, she's mostly dealing with the fallout of some of the events of the previous book. Sadly, this means that the book has a heavy focus on vampires and demons, and in Harrison's world, that means that the book is all about seduction, temptation, and weird rapey vibes. An amusing side adventure involves Rachel acting as body guard for Trent because--wait for it--they believe that she can handle vampiric vibes bet
Lauren
Every Which Way But Dead
4 Stars

There is a lot going on in Rachel’s life as she deals with becoming Algaliarept’s familiar, Nick’s aloofness, Ivy’s possessiveness, Kisten’s advances, Jenks’s hurt feelings as well as a possible Were stalker, a dangerous extortionist and last but not least, Trent Kalamack’s mysterious machinations. With all this, its amazing that she hasn’t lost her mind yet … or has she?

The majority of the book revolves around introducing new characters and developing existing one
Tabitha
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: Every Which Way But Dead

There's a new underground player in the Hollows, and he's putting his own brand of Brimstone on the streets. People are beginning to die. Both Piscary and Trent want the new competition out of their city, and Rachel is about to end up in the middle of it all. To make matters worse, every time she taps a line she risks calling Al across the ley lines. Rachel can't escape the demon forever, but she doesn't plan on becoming a
VampireNovelFan
This book is the best thus far in the series. You can tell it's starting the hit its stride. The characters are becoming more established and the lines between protagonists and antagonists are thinning a bit.

Rachel strikes a deal with Algaliarept, a demon, to testify against Piscary. To do it she'll have to become his familiar. From there she meets his old familiar, Ceri, who happens to be an elf. She turns out to be a very mysterious, interesting, and powerful character. Does Rachel want to ma
Hollows Read-alon...: Beginning Every Which Way but Dead 2 55 Nov 20, 2019 02:19PM
Hollows Read-alon...: Al and familiars 7 52 Nov 19, 2019 09:12AM
Vampires, Weres a...: Every Which Way but Dead (Hollows #3) 61 26 Nov 10, 2017 03:40PM
Urban Fantasy ser...: May SRA: EVERY WHICH WAY BUT DEAD by Kim Harrison 1 11 May 05, 2016 02:22PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 8 11 May 09, 2015 12:37AM

• The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville, #4)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian #3)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
Kim Harrison is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, but she has written more than urban fantasy and has published over two-dozen books spanning the gamut from young adult, thriller, several anthologies, and has scripted two original graphic novels. She has also published traditional fantasy under the name Dawn Cook. Kim is currently working on a new Hollo ...more

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)

News & Interviews

“And then there are the rare ones who know love, who understand it. Who freely give of themselves, demanding only a return of that love,that trust.” 520 likes
“Hey, ah, does anyone want a cookie or something? Oh yeah. A cookie. That would make everything better. Dunked in a shot of tequila , maybe? Or better yet, just the bottle? Yeah, that ought to do it.” 377 likes