The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

113 views
SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 25.6 - Lavender's Task: Derivative Work

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2017 03:07PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4997 comments Mod
25.6 - Lavender's Task: Derivative Work

A few years ago I decided that I should read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies because it looked silly. I like doing things in order, so I figured I should read the original Jane Austen novel first. (I've read a few Jane Austen books since then, but still haven't gotten around to the zombie book.)

For this challenge, read 2 books.
Books with the main page genres of Graphic Novels/Manga/Comics are allowed for this task as long as they meet SRC requirements.

Book 1: Read a derivative work.
It can be a reworking, satire, tribute, adaptation, non-fiction, analysis, fan fiction, or an imagined continuation by a different author.
It should NOT be an "official" sequel, though.

Book 2: Read the book that the first book was derived from.

Examples:
Book 1: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Book 2: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Book 1: Why Read Moby-Dick? by Nathaniel Philbrick
Book 2: Moby-Dick or, The Whale by Herman Melville

Book 1: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born Graphic Novel by Peter David
Book 2: The Gunslinger by Stephen King.

REQUIRED: Explain the relation between the books if it's not obvious in the goodreads description.

Some potential examples: Popular Derivative Fiction Books

Note: Some of the books in the list above are part of a series. Reading a book that is part of a series is fine, but the 2 books should not be from the same set. You could read
Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguirewith The Emerald City of Oz by L. Frank Baum but not Son of a Witch and Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire.


message 3: by Lavender (last edited Jun 02, 2017 06:13AM) (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments NOT accepted

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and any Sherlock Holmes


message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4997 comments Mod
This thread is now open.


message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments What a fun task! I've been trying to fit The Tempest and Hag-Seed into my reading schedule, and here's my chance!


message 6: by Gayla (last edited Jun 01, 2017 03:31PM) (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Hag-Seed is terrific, too -- you are in for a treat!

Now I have to decide between Shylock Is My Name and Vinegar Girl.


message 7: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments I loved Hag-Seed! :)


message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7787 comments Ohhhh interesting....hmmmm


message 9: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Will these books work?

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde

Thanks!


message 10: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3016 comments Would reading a Sherlock Holmes work? There are a few newer ones and then reading one of the original work? For example The Angel of the Opera and then read The Return of Sherlock Holmes


message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7787 comments Jayme - I was thinking similar - a Sherlock Holmes and then one of the Mary Russell books which are notionally a sequal


message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1884 comments Would Scarlett and Gone with the Wind work?
(Although I do like the Sherlock Holmes idea and would probably switch to that if you approve posts 10 & 11)


message 13: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3016 comments Dee wrote: "Jayme - I was thinking similar - a Sherlock Holmes and then one of the Mary Russell books which are notionally a sequal"

That would work too. I just know there are quite a few newer Sherlock mysteries out there.


message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 981 comments I wanted to do Tempest/Hag-Seed too!


message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16410 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "I wanted to do Tempest/Hag-Seed too!"

I read those in the winter - I thought it would be good to read Tempest before Hag-Seed, since it's been a long time. And I really liked it better that way, I think - I appreciated both more.


message 16: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4159 comments I am thinking along the Jane Austen line. I had planned Sense and Sensibility for one of my 30.3 books. However...

As I am not really comfortable with what a derivative work would be, would any of these work? Sense and Sensibility: A Latter-Day Tale, Sense & Sensibility, The Third Sister: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility


message 17: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 49 comments Would The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and a Sherlock Holmes novel work? I love this task.


message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim | 669 comments Please let me know if these options work:

Book 1: The Gap of Time
Book 2: The Winter's Tale

Book 1: Rhett Butler's People or Scarlett
Book 2: Gone with the Wind

Book 1: March
Book 2: Little Women

Book 1: Dreaming Spies or The Murder of Mary Russell
Book 2: A Study in Scarlet

Thank you.


message 19: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2651 comments Please approve these for your task

Hamlet and Ophelia


message 20: by Cat (last edited Jun 02, 2017 04:35AM) (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2476 comments Gayla wrote: "Hag-Seed is terrific, too -- you are in for a treat!

Now I have to decide between Shylock Is My Name and Vinegar Girl."


I enjoyed Vinegar Girl! It coped well with the difficult bits of 'Shrew - the misogyny & domestic violence bits.

Have you seen there's a reworking of Othello out now too (int he same Hogarth series): New Boy


message 21: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Is there a page minimum? I wanted to read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead and Hamlet, but it does not reach 500 pages.


message 22: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Pia wrote: "Will these books work?

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde

Thanks!"


Yes, those work!


message 23: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would reading a Sherlock Holmes work? There are a few newer ones and then reading one of the original work? For example The Angel of the Opera and then read [book:The Return of Sherlo..."

That would work. It looks like a "what if" rather than a real sequel.


message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7787 comments Bridgit wrote: "Is there a page minimum? I wanted to read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead and Hamlet, but it does not reach 500 pages."

Not all tasks have a page minimum - it will be stated up front


message 25: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Dee wrote: "Jayme - I was thinking similar - a Sherlock Holmes and then one of the Mary Russell books which are notionally a sequal"

Yes, that's good, too. Another what if type of thing.


message 26: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Julia wrote: "Would Scarlett and Gone with the Wind work?
(Although I do like the Sherlock Holmes idea and would probably switch to that if you approve posts 10 & 11)"


Yes, that's good.


message 27: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Chris wrote: "I wanted to do Tempest/Hag-Seed too!"

Awesome choice!


message 28: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Bea wrote: "I am thinking along the Jane Austen line. I had planned Sense and Sensibility for one of my 30.3 books. However...

As I am not really comfortable with what a derivative work would be,..."


All of those work. Re-tellings, continuations, re-imaginings are all good.


message 29: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments frugalitymom wrote: "Would The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and a Sherlock Holmes novel work? I love this task."

I haven't read this one yet, but from the description it looks like the main character admires Sherlock Holmes, but it doesn't seem to be an actual retelling of a Sherlock story (or a continuation/satire, etc). Can anyone who has already read it confirm?


message 30: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Kim wrote: "Please let me know if these options work:

Book 1: The Gap of Time
Book 2: The Winter's Tale

Book 1: Rhett Butler's People or Scarlett
Boo..."


Yes, All of those are great options!


message 31: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Marie wrote: "Please approve these for your task

Hamlet and Ophelia"


Yes, this works.


message 32: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Catherine wrote: "Gayla wrote: "Hag-Seed is terrific, too -- you are in for a treat!

Now I have to decide between Shylock Is My Name and Vinegar Girl."

I enjoyed Vinegar Girl! It co..."


I will have to look for that! I've enjoyed the Shakespeare retellings that I have read so far.


message 33: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Bridgit wrote: "Is there a page minimum? I wanted to read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead and Hamlet, but it does not reach 500 pages."

No page limit for this task


message 34: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments If anyone wants to do Oz, there's a whole list of Oz books

Books About Oz


message 35: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "If anyone wants to do Oz, there's a whole list of Oz books

Books About Oz"


Thanks for the link!


message 36: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3860 comments Lavender wrote: "frugalitymom wrote: "Would The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and a Sherlock Holmes novel work? I love this task."

I haven't read this one yet, but from the description it looks like the main character admires Sherlock Holmes, but it doesn't seem to be an actual retelling of a Sherlock story (or a continuation/satire, etc). Can anyone who has already read it confirm? ..."


Lavender ... your take on this is correct. It is NOT a retelling of a Sherlock story.


message 37: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Lavender wrote: "frugalitymom wrote: "Would The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and a Sherlock Holmes novel work? I love this task."

I haven't read this one yet, but from..."


Thanks for the clarification.


message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 366 comments Hello!! You mention different Gregory Maguire and L Frank Baum books in your task description, but I just want to confirm that Wicked and The Wizard of Oz work together?


message 39: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Stephanie wrote: "Hello!! You mention different Gregory Maguire and L Frank Baum books in your task description, but I just want to confirm that Wicked and The Wizard of Oz work together?"

Yes, I just added it to the accepted list above, too.


message 40: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 49 comments Lavender wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Lavender wrote: "frugalitymom wrote: "Would The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and a Sherlock Holmes novel work? I love this task."

I haven't read..."


Thank you


message 42: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments frugalitymom wrote: "Would this work?
Emma by Alexander McCall Smith
Emma by Jane Austen"


Looks like a retelling, so yes, that works.


message 43: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 995 comments Since retellings work, am I able to read Eligible: A Modern Retelling of Pride and Prejudice and Pride and Prejudice? I can't believe I've never read P&P. I need to take care of that omission this summer.


message 44: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (purlav) | 374 comments Brooke wrote: "Since retellings work, am I able to read Eligible: A Modern Retelling of Pride and Prejudice and Pride and Prejudice? I can't believe I've never read P&P. I need to take..."

Yes, this works. I only read Pride and Prejudice recently, too.


message 45: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 49 comments Lavender wrote: "frugalitymom wrote: "Would this work?
Emma by Alexander McCall Smith
Emma by Jane Austen"

Looks like a retelling, so yes, that works."


Thank you


message 46: by KSMary (last edited Jun 02, 2017 03:06PM) (new)


message 47: by Dee (last edited Jun 02, 2017 05:34PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7787 comments Exit, Pursued by a Bear

and

The Winter's Tale

the first is a retelling (I think)

The title is "Exit, Pursued by a Bear", which is a famous Shakespearean stage direction in The Winter's Tale.


message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3860 comments Would this pairing work?
Something Rotten
Hamlet


message 50: by Trish (last edited Jun 03, 2017 02:14AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2592 comments Out of curiosity, could the derivative book be one which has the author of the original book as a character? There seem to be a few series like that, for example:
Josephine Tey: https://www.goodreads.com/series/5226...
Jane Austen: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4095...

Failing that, back on the Sherlock Holmes theme, would Two Hundred and Twenty-One Baker Streets: An Anthology of Holmesian Tales Across Time and Space be far enough away from a straight sequel to work as a derivative?

I'm also curious if The Castle of Otranto, Horace Walpole or Mysteries of Udolpho, Ann Radcliffe would work against Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen, as the Austen book is generally considered a parody of the Gothic Fiction genre, of which the other two were major examples.

And for fans of retellings, the combination of:
Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen
Northanger Abbey, Val McDermid
isn't a bad one. They're very different books, albeit based around the same basic plot.


« previous 1
back to top