The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 25.4 - Tien's Task: Hi! My Name is (What?)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2017 03:29PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
25.4 - Tien's Task: Hi! My name is (what?)

This is a two book task.

No books with the main page genre Childrens or Kids may be used for the task. Your two books combined should have a total of at least 500 pages.

Book 1: Read a book in a series where the series name (in parentheses following the title/subtitle) is ONLY the name of the main protagonist.

REQUIRED: Please include the series name in your book link in your post

Book 2: Read a book by a single author whose name contains either the first or last name, found intact, of the series name from book 1. The order of the name does not matter - the first name of the series protagonist could be the last name of the author of book 2, and vice versa.

Example:
Book 1 - The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin #1) by M.C. Beaton
Book 2 - The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie
Name: AGATHA

Book 1 - The 5 Greatest Warriors (Jack West Jr #3) by Matthew Reilly
Book 2 - Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
Name: WEST

message 2: by Tien (last edited Jun 18, 2017 08:07PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments If you asked for specific book approval, I'll post them here

Approved list:

Book 1 - Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) by Patricia Briggs
Book 2 - The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Book 1 - The Lost Art of Gratitude (Isabel Dalhousie #6) by Alexander McCall Smith
Book 2 - The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

Book 1 - The Keepers of the Library (Will Piper #3) by Glenn Cooper
Book 2 - Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman

Book 1 - Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels #8) by Ilona Andrews
Book 2 - Cold Magic (Spiritwalker #1) by Kate Elliott

Charlotte Holmes series
Charles Paris series

message 3: by Tien (last edited Jun 25, 2017 03:23AM) (new)

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments Tien - you are devious!!

message 6: by Dee (last edited Jun 01, 2017 04:26PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments Can I ask I'm seeing many where it's first name last name mysteries or similar - does the mysteries disqualify it? (My guess is yes)

Ie https://www.goodreads.com/series/1510...

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments For this challenge, I'd like to do Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) and The Age of Miracles, by Karen Thompson Walker but I think according to SRC rules "Thompson" wouldn't be considered her "last" name. Would it still work for this challenge?

message 8: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Dee wrote: "Tien - you are devious!!"

You should know this by now ;p

Dee wrote: "Can I ask I'm seeing many where it's first name last name mysteries or similar - does the mysteries disqualify it? (My guess is yes)

Ie https://www.goodreads.com/series/1510......"

Sorry, yes, that does disqualify it. Nothing else should be part of the series name but just the MC's name.

message 9: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Melanie wrote: "For this challenge, I'd like to do Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) and The Age of Miracles, by Karen Thompson Walker but I think according to SRC rules "Thompson" wouldn't be considered her "last" ..."

Melanie, the task states that the order of the name does not matter so yes these books work! Enjoy!

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments Tien wrote: "Melanie wrote: "For this challenge, I'd like to do Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) and The Age of Miracles, by Karen Thompson Walker but I think according to SRC rules "Thompson" wouldn't be consid..."

Thanks!

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments Tien wrote: "Dee wrote: "Tien - you are devious!!"

You should know this by now ;p

Dee wrote: "Can I ask I'm seeing many where it's first name last name mysteries or similar - does the mysteries disqualify it?..."

I probably found 20 different series like this

message 12: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments I know... I noticed that trend doing Scattershelves. I tried to make a 'simple' task but I didn't want it to be that easy :p

message 13: by Bea (last edited Jun 01, 2017 06:32PM) (new)

Bea | 3824 comments The Lost Art of Gratitude (Isabel Dalhousie, #6) by Alexander McCall Smith

and

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

Would that work? Page count total = 710

message 14: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Bea wrote: "The Lost Art of Gratitude (Isabel Dalhousie, #6) by Alexander McCall Smith

and

Would that work? ..."

Yes, those are fine, Bea. Good luck, I DNF'd that second book... I have a hard time with Allende's.

message 15: by Bea (last edited Jun 01, 2017 06:39PM) (new)

Bea | 3824 comments I have read one of hers that was pretty interesting...but I have this one and one other that gets moved from task to task. I am hoping for this task to help me get it done, so I pared it with a book series that I enjoy.

message 16: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments You could read it first and then as a reward read book 1 ;)

message 17: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3824 comments Tien wrote: "You could read it first and then as a reward read book 1 ;)"

Great idea!

message 18: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments What about something like The Unquiet Dead? It features two main protagonists and is labeled "(Rachel Getty & Esa Khattak #1)". Would I be able to use it?

message 19: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments BriKie wrote: "What about something like The Unquiet Dead? It features two main protagonists and is labeled "(Rachel Getty & Esa Khattak #1)". Would I be able to use it?"

Sorry, BriKie, I thought about this too when I created this tasks but the 'ONLY' in the task does disqualify the ampersand in series name so no...

message 20: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Okay, thanks, I'll keep looking. I did think of the Cormoran Strike series and the Harold Fry series but finding a good author match is tricky!

message 21: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments BriKie wrote: "Okay, thanks, I'll keep looking. I did think of the Cormoran Strike series and the Harold Fry series but finding a good author match is tricky!"

I know what you mean! I was going to do Maisie Dobbs but err... couldn't find anything with that one. My own task! lol

You need a rather common name like Samantha Kincaid or Kate Burkholder etc

message 22: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1501 comments Bea wrote: "The Lost Art of Gratitude (Isabel Dalhousie, #6) by Alexander McCall Smith

and

Would that work? ..."

Bea - I'm totally stealing your idea!!

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments Tien wrote: "BriKie wrote: "Okay, thanks, I'll keep looking. I did think of the Cormoran Strike series and the Harold Fry series but finding a good author match is tricky!"

I know what you mean! I was going to..."

This is why I didn't go with Maisie Dobbs

message 24: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) | 202 comments Meg wrote: "Bea wrote: "The Lost Art of Gratitude (Isabel Dalhousie, #6) by Alexander McCall Smith

and

Would..."

Me too, I've loved all Allende's stuff so far

message 25: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3824 comments Glad I could help, Meg & Katrina.

message 26: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2220 comments This task might well be my excuse to pick up a Kate Daniels book!

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3611 comments Dee wrote: "Tien wrote: "BriKie wrote: "Okay, thanks, I'll keep looking. I did think of the Cormoran Strike series and the Harold Fry series but finding a good author match is tricky!"

This is why I didn't go with Maisie Dobbs..."

Or Hercule Poirot!

message 28: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Or any of the scandinavian crime books... they'll be tough to match!

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Fabulous task, Tien.

Another author match for Mercy Thompson is Victoria Thompson

message 30: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3824 comments Hmm. I thought I would try to find matches for Maisie Dobbs - a challenge! Maisie might be hard to match but here is a list for Dobbs https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

message 31: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2055 comments For Book A, will this book count?
Murder in the Title: A Charles Paris Novel
also listed as
Murder in the Title

with the series name being listed as
Charles Paris

and, if I understand the task correctly, Book B would need an author name of "Charles" or "Paris" and be (500 - 191 = 309) 309 or more pages long

Thanks

message 32: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Deedee wrote: "For Book A, will this book count?
Murder in the Title: A Charles Paris Novel
also listed as
Murder in the Title

with the series name being listed as
Charles Paris."

Yes, that's fine. Though you might want to link the book like this:

Murder in the Title (Charles Paris #9) so it's clear for the Mods when checking the completed task that the series name is 'Charles Paris'.

Deedee wrote: "and, if I understand the task correctly, Book B would need an author name of "Charles" or "Paris" and be (500 - 191 = 309) 309 or more pages long"

Yes, that is correct.

message 33: by Deedee (last edited Jun 08, 2017 07:18PM) (new)

Deedee | 2055 comments Testing -testing -
Murder in the Title (Charles Paris #9)

I did it! The link works!!

Thanks for the quick reply Tien

message 34: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments You're welcome :)
and well done!

message 35: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 09, 2017 03:31AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17400 comments Mod
Tien wrote: "Though you might want to link the book like this:

Murder in the Title (Charles Paris #9) so it's clear for the Mods when checking the completed task that the series name is 'Charles Paris'."

You should always post the link to the edition you read. We click on every link to get to the main book page.
All the editions show the series after the title on the main page.
Murder in the Title: A Crime Novel (Charles Paris #9)
Murder in the Title (Charles Paris #9)
Murder in the Title: A Charles Paris Novel (Charles Paris #9)

message 36: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Trying to place The Last of August.

Series is "Charlotte Holmes". The focus is all on her and Jamie Watson, so I don't know if it fits with all the requirements. lol. No big deal if not, just figured I should ask before looking for a different slot.

(But I did figure "Charlotte" would be a hopefully easy author name to match up.)

Thanks!

message 37: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1646 comments Is it ok to have "Inspector" before the name?

Inspector Ian Rutledge

https://www.goodreads.com/series/4042...
A Test of Wills

message 38: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Morgan wrote: "Trying to place The Last of August.

Series is "Charlotte Holmes". The focus is all on her and Jamie Watson, so I don't know if it fits with all the requirements. lol. No big deal ..."

This is fine, Morgan.

message 39: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Is it ok to have "Inspector" before the name?

Inspector Ian Rutledge

A Test of Wills"

Sorry, Karen Michele, the task specifically asked for names only so no other words should be part of the series name.

message 40: by Karen Michele (last edited Jun 12, 2017 04:57PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1646 comments Tien wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "Is it ok to have "Inspector" before the name?

Inspector Ian Rutledge

A Test of Wills"

Sorry, Kar..."

Ok, thanks, Tien ---- I think I'll probably go with Kate Shugak, Linda Wallander or Kurt Wallander.

message 41: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Those 3 are ok, Karen Michele :)

message 42: by Sandra (last edited Jun 15, 2017 06:20AM) (new)

Sandra (sandra72) | 726 comments Would like to check these two books:

Book 1: The Keepers of the Library (Will Piper #3) by Glenn Cooper

Book 2: Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman

Page total: 675

message 43: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Looks good, Sandra, enjoy :)

message 44: by Cindy AL (last edited Jun 18, 2017 07:17PM) (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments OK, so
Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels #8)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
can be paired with an author with the first name Kate as

Cold Magic by Kate Elliott?

message 45: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Cindy AL wrote: "OK, so
Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels #8)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
can be paired with an author with the first name Kate as

[book:Cold Magic|711482..."

Correct!

message 46: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 760 comments Would Tricky Twenty-Two (Stephanie Plum #22) and The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer work? The name is the same, but there is 1 letter different in the spelling.

message 47: by Tien (last edited Jun 19, 2017 04:20PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Brooke wrote: "Would Tricky Twenty-Two (Stephanie Plum #22) and The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer work? The name is the same, but there is 1 letter different in the sp..."

Sorry, Brooke. The task requires the name to be found intact so "west" in Westerfeld is okay but Stephanie and Stephenie do not work.

message 48: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1621 comments When I look at the "All Editions" list for Locked Rooms (https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...) it shows as Locked Rooms (Mary Russell, #8) but when I go to the book page it shows as Locked Rooms (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes #8)

I don't know why the series name would be different on the different pages. Is this usable?

message 49: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1379 comments Wow, there's a good one!

It's the way whoever uploaded these books and/or created the series onto GR. They've named the series, 'Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes' but then when they've created the books, they actually have to include the series name within the text boxes for titles and they've only put in 'Mary Russell'...

It's a bit all over the place when I looked it up online but I'm going to take the author's website as 'a source of truth' here and she's referred it as 'Russell & Holmes' so I'm going to say that you can't use it for this task, sorry, Julia!

But, awfully good query!

message 50: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1621 comments Tien wrote: "Wow, there's a good one!

It's the way whoever uploaded these books and/or created the series onto GR. They've named the series, 'Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes' but then when they've created the b..."

Thanks for looking into it!

« previous 1