Start by marking “The Chemist” as Want to Read:
The Chemist

The Chemist

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  61,189 ratings  ·  7,913 reviews
In this gripping page-turner, an ex-agent on the run from her former employers must take one more case to clear her name and save her life.

She used to work for the U.S. government, but very few people ever knew that. An expert in her field, she was one of the darkest secrets of an agency so clandestine it doesn't even have a name. And when they decided she was a
Published November 8th 2016 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Chemist, please sign up.
Michelle Llewellyn Edward Cullen. She spends the entire book telling her love interest-for his own good-he really should stay away from her.
Judy It does pick up. It dragged for me too. I actually put the book down and then went back a few days later. Looking back I think the first few chapters…moreIt does pick up. It dragged for me too. I actually put the book down and then went back a few days later. Looking back I think the first few chapters are actually necessary to set up her character and what she is capable of. Keep going a bit longer. (less)

·  61,189 ratings  ·  7,913 reviews

Start your review of The Chemist
Emily May
Jul 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Look, I gave it a fair chance, I swear I did.

I was genuinely curious about how Meyer would move from paranormal YA to an adult Spy Thriller. Would I find myself amazed as I typed out a positive review about how far she has come? Would I be rolling my eyes as I ranted about how terrible and offensive this was? Honestly, though, this book isn't as exciting as either of those options.

For all Twilight's faults, most people would agree that it's a thrilling premise for a lot of teen girls - a hot
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
You haters can hate all you want, I DO NOT CARE. I will read this, and I will probably love it, b/c Stephenie Meyer is an effing Rock Star as far as I'm concerned.

Jessica Signature
TJ✨
Jul 20, 2016 marked it as no-longer-interested

Please don't let the lead character be as stupid as Bella

Miranda Reads
Watch out world, Stephenie Meyer entered her Miley phase
description
Figure 1. Left: Twilight-Stephie, We'll wait til we get married cause I luv you. Love you more. No, love you more. La-ti-da, beautiful happy life. Right: Stephie 2.0, BOOM. Sex. Drugs. Cursing. Torture. Now let's kill somebody.
She's baaaaaaack and badder than ever. Gone are the peace-loving vampires and here are the half-crazed mad scientist on the run plus an equally psycho ex-agent....plus a soulful puppy-dog of a man?
“This is weird,
karen
Jul 24, 2016 marked it as ceci-n-est-ce-pas-un-compte-rendu
it's unlikely that i will ever read this, but i have to at least give her a round of applause for breaking out of her mold and trying new things instead of, you know, writing the same damn book from another's character's perspective. spread those wings, girl!

Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I have a love-hate relationship with Stephenie Meyer's work, and I think a lot of other people feel that way, too (even if they won't admit it). I'll start by saying that, yes, I do like TWILIGHT. The book, that is. Not the movie. I read it almost ten years ago, and I was at the perfect point in my life where it actually made a lot of sense to me. Because of that, I will always have fond feelings for Bella and Edward's admittedly
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Buddy Read With My Wonderful Friend Dom =)

I LOVE the Twilight saga and I don't give a damn what the haters think. But I'm not sure if I will like this book because it's not my normal genre but I have been surprised in the past so we shall see =)

I thought this book was awesome! I was worried at first because I'm weird about mysteries/thrillers, sometimes I love them and sometimes not so much. But I was pleasantly surprised that SM wrote such a great thriller.

I just wished they could have taken
Hannah ◇Reader in the Rough◇
Jul 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Feeling post 100 pages:

I tried, I really did.

But how am I supposed to take our torturer seriously when the victim can't even?

"I suppose we'll get started."

The disbelief was there again. She'd never dealt with that in an interrogation before. All the others who'd been on her table had known what they were there for. She'd faced terror and pleading, and, occasionally, stoic defiance, but never this strange, trusting almost-challenge: You won't hurt me.

"Um, is this some kind of fetish fantasy
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
YES I read it and I enjoyed it. 3.5 stars, rounding up. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Stephenie Meyer changes it up fairly dramatically in The Chemist (2016), her second adult novel, where there is nary a vampire, werewolf or space alien to be found. It’s a rather pulpy but absorbing thriller in the vein of a Jason Bourne novel (to whom she’s dedicated this novel, among others). There’s no real speculative element here, other than perhaps some new developments in
Tatiana
Jul 19, 2016 marked it as lost-interest
I don't get it. It is November 10th, and NOT ONE of my 3000 goodreads friends has read this book yet? How is it possible? Has Stephenie Meyer's fame completely evaporated already?!
Arah-Lynda
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paperwhite, i-said
Okay so to be honest it vexes me to see Stephenie Meyer being vilified by so many reviewers here on Goodreads. To be clear it’s not that I don’t believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion or the right to express it, because I wholeheartedly embrace those rights. No it is more than that. I mean there are not so pleasant reviews posted by people who admittedly have not even read the book in question and then there are those that completely deconstruct the book (pick one, particularly ...more
Tina Haigler
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4 3/4 stars!

This was awesome! I was invested from the first chapter. It was action packed! The story drew me in and I really wanted to find out who was behind it all. There were a few slower chapters scattered throughout but they were still interesting. In other reviews, some people considered it too wordy but I didn't feel this way at all. I actually liked having all the information and knowing how much preparation and strife the main character went through to not be found and killed.
O.R.
Jul 19, 2016 marked it as to-read
Hey at least she is trying new stories unlike Clare who only knows how to milk one skinny cow.
Vanessa J.
Jul 19, 2016 marked it as would-not-even-touch
Raeleen Lemay
DNF'd on page 231

HONESTLY. This book was decent until the "romance" was introduced. Admittedly, the plot had slowed down a bit and I was beginning to lose interest, but that put it over the top. I read a few reviews and the fact that the rest of the book is full of this ridiculous excuse for a plot is enough reason for me to put the book down. NO THANKS *bye*
Gabby
Jul 19, 2016 marked it as on-hold
But...but what about the sequel to The Host???
Matthew
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, audio, 2017
Not really sure how I feel about this one. I am willing to go as high as 3.5, but probably closer to three.

High points:
- The characters: I liked the main characters, they are pretty interesting.
- The chemistry - a unique approach to the spy-action drama

The so-so points:
- The relationships: While I liked the characters, their relationships were kinda silly
- The length: For what went on, this book was much longer than it needed to be. There were some very drug out scenes in the middle.

The blah
P
Jul 20, 2016 marked it as to-read
My queen is back !

I'm so high.
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
3.5 stars!
I was extremely excited to read THE CHEMIST by STEPHENIE MEYER as I absolutely loved THE HOST and was hoping that this one would be just as good. Unfortunately, it didn't quite meet up to my expectations. I read THE HOST in one day, and this one took me six days to finish! There were some exciting moments to this novel and then at other times it seemed to drag and it was a little bit boring for me. I could put it down and walk away and then at other times all I could think of was
Phrynne
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Forget who the author is and just judge the book on its own value. It turns out to be a very readable, entertaining story with likeable characters ( Daniel in particular) and some well written and amusing dialogue. I enjoyed it and the 500+ pages just slid past.
That's not to say that a little more editor's red pen could have been applied. There were sections that went on too long, and some judicious cutting could have made the book tighter and might even have given it a greater degree of
Trina (Between Chapters)
Apr 29, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Attempted in April 2017. DNFed on page 56.

WAIT, PAGE 56?? Are you telling me I didn't get further than 56 pages?! I have been reading this audiobook for WEEKS and made it two hours in, and that was only FIFTY SIX PAGES? It felt like about 500. Of nothing happening.

I was excited about this book. I loved Stephanie Meyer's adult sci-fi The Host and was eager to see her write another adult novel but this was just boring. It was 56 years pages of infodump on how this character hides her identity and
Natalie Monroe
Jul 19, 2016 marked it as morbidly-curious
Hmm. Hmm. HMMM.

The blurb is lackluster. The forbidden love element terrifies the shit out of me.

We shall see.
Celeste
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, favorites
You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

This is a book I honestly had no intention of reading.

I really enjoy Meyer’s YA books. They’re a little trashy, but they’re fun and addictive in a teenage soap opera kind of way. Twilight will always be one of my guilty pleasures. But I honestly didn’t think she could handle writing an adult spy thriller. I mean, it requires so much more research and finesse than a vampire/werewolf love triangle, right? The foreshadowing that was so present in
"The Chemist is the love child created from the union of my romantic sensibilities and my obsession with Jason Bourne/Aaron Cross. I very much enjoyed spending time with a different kind of action hero, one whose primary weapon isn’t a gun or a knife or bulging muscles, but rather her brain." -Stephenie Meyer
Ms. Meyer's personal tribute comes through perfectly in The Chemist. It is impossible to not notice the blatant similarities of this female version of the death-avoiding, dangerously
Desirae
To all the people who are bashing this simply on the basis that "it's Stephenie Meyer" and "Twilight-vomit-OMG" my sentimate to you is this:

description

But anyway, to this book - I enjoyed it, though I do have to say this was not a typical genre that I would gravitate to. I thought the subject matter was fascinating and characters like Kevin and Val were so interesting. Though I didn't love this as much as I loved The Host, it was so much better than the mess that was Breaking Dawn.

The only thing I didn't
Suzanne
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really apprehensive about reading this book because of the mixed reviews but I was absolutely intrigued from the first page! I would recommend those who were worried like I was to read it.
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
What are the odds that this turns out to be as drab as it looks? Minimalism worked well with Twilight but to whoever designed that cover: seriously, what were you thinking???

That aside– Stephenie, for all that is holy, this better not be a big, fat romance parading as a female Jason Bourne novel. Please. Pretty please. With Edward sparkles and glitter on top?
Amanda
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! I know there has been quite a few negative reviews for this novel by Stephenie Meyer, but I really enjoyed it. I do tend to take each book I read, in it's own individual right, not necessarily by the author.

I'm a big Jason Bourne fan and found the likeness between the main character of this novel Alex (one of her many cover identities) and Bourne, fun and exciting. It kept me engaged and wanting more when it ended. I think the whole chemical torture idea made for something
Mischenko
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
What a bore! I was so excited to read this because I'm a huge Twilight fan, but it was so boring and flat. Few characters and not so great story. I kind of just kept reading along for a disappointing ending. It was well written though with impeccable details, so I'm still giving it 3 stars. Just not for me...

• Memory, Mirrors, and the World Inside My Head: A Short Story
  • The Silent Patient
  • An Anonymous Girl
  • The Lying Game
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
  • Pieces of Her
  • Nine Perfect Strangers
  • Something in the Water
  • Thinking Outside the Gift Box: 75 Simple & Meaningful Gift Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • The Death of Mrs. Westaway
  • Into the Water
  • The Good Daughter (Good Daughter, #1)
  • The Wife Between Us
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #.5)
  • The Girl Before
  • The Fates Divide (Carve the Mark, #2)
  • The New Psycho-Cybernetics (6 Compact Discs, Conversations DVD with Dr. Maxwell Maltz, Writable PDF Workbook, PDF Key Point Reminder Cards & PDF Cue Cards)
  • For the Love of Cats: From A to Z
I was born in Connecticut in 1973, during a brief blip in my family's otherwise western U.S. existence. We were settled in Phoenix by the time I was four, and I think of myself as a native. The unusual spelling of my name was a gift from my father, Stephen (+ ie = me). Though I have had my name spelled wrong on pretty much everything my entire life long, I must admit that it makes it easier to ...more
“You'll make mistakes because it's impossible to know what is or isn't a mistake until it's made.” 62 likes
“Sometimes you cling to a mistake simply because it took so long to make.” 24 likes