Start by marking “The Chemist” as Want to Read:
The Chemist

The Chemist

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  45,356 Ratings  ·  6,317 Reviews
In this gripping page-turner, an ex-agent on the run from her former employers must take one more case to clear her name and save her life.

She used to work for the U.S. government, but very few people ever knew that. An expert in her field, she was one of the darkest secrets of an agency so clandestine it doesn’t even have a name. And when they decided she was a liability,
Published November 8th 2016 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Chemist, please sign up.
Michelle Llewellyn Edward Cullen. She spends the entire book telling her love interest-for his own good-he really should stay away from her.
Judy It does pick up. It dragged for me too. I actually put the book down and then went back a few days later. Looking back I think the first few chapters…moreIt does pick up. It dragged for me too. I actually put the book down and then went back a few days later. Looking back I think the first few chapters are actually necessary to set up her character and what she is capable of. Keep going a bit longer. (less)

Emily May
Jul 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Look, I gave it a fair chance, I swear I did.

I was genuinely curious about how Meyer would move from paranormal YA to an adult Spy Thriller. Would I find myself amazed as I typed out a positive review about how far she has come? Would I be rolling my eyes as I ranted about how terrible and offensive this was? Honestly, though, this book isn't as exciting as either of those options.

For all Twilight's faults, most people would agree that it's a thrilling premise for a lot of teen girls - a hot v
Kat O'Keeffe
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a different genre for me (adult spy thriller?!) but I ended up really enjoying this! I absolutely LOVED all the on the run/action bits. I also appreciated that the protagonist wasn't super physically strong, but she was very smart and resourceful and mostly used her skills with chemicals/poisons to take down enemies and stay alive. I found it all super interesting.

I did have some trouble suspending disbelief regarding the romance--it happens really fast, the male character even (kinda?)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
You haters can hate all you want, I DO NOT CARE. I will read this, and I will probably love it, b/c Stephenie Meyer is an effing Rock Star as far as I'm concerned.

Jessica Signature
Tabby
Jul 20, 2016 marked it as no-longer-interested
Shelves: 2016-releases

Please don't let the lead character be as stupid as Bella

karen
Jul 24, 2016 marked it as ceci-n-est-ce-pas-un-compte-rendu
it's unlikely that i will ever read this, but i have to at least give her a round of applause for breaking out of her mold and trying new things instead of, you know, writing the same damn book from another's character's perspective. spread those wings, girl!

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I have a love-hate relationship with Stephenie Meyer's work, and I think a lot of other people feel that way, too (even if they won't admit it). I'll start by saying that, yes, I do like TWILIGHT. The book, that is. Not the movie. I read it almost ten years ago, and I was at the perfect point in my life where it actually made a lot of sense to me. Because of that, I will always have fond feelings for Bella and Edward's admittedly self-absor
Maddie
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
THIS AUTHOR IS THE REASON I JOINED GR, SO in actual fact I need to thank her for joining GR searching for similar books like Twilight.

I must admit the first +- 15% of this novel, was really confusing and I did not want to continue, and then suddenly all made sense – meaning the story behind that first 15%, the why, the if’s and the hell I am so confused rather just give up went away.
__________________________ →

So if you decide to read this book do not give up, I know it is easy, I also give up
Hannah ◇Reader in the Rough◇
Jul 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Feeling post 100 pages:

I tried, I really did.

But how am I supposed to take our torturer seriously when the victim can't even?

"I suppose we'll get started."

The disbelief was there again. She'd never dealt with that in an interrogation before. All the others who'd been on her table had known what they were there for. She'd faced terror and pleading, and, occasionally, stoic defiance, but never this strange, trusting almost-challenge: You won't hurt me.

"Um, is this some kind of fetish fantasy th
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Buddy Read With My Wonderful Friend Dom =)

I LOVE the Twilight saga and I don't give a damn what the haters think. But I'm not sure if I will like this book because it's not my normal genre but I have been surprised in the past so we shall see =)

I thought this book was awesome! I was worried at first because I'm weird about mysteries/thrillers, sometimes I love them and sometimes not so much. But I was pleasantly surprised that SM wrote such a great thriller.

I just wished they could have taken
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
YES I read it and I enjoyed it. 3.5 stars, rounding up. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Stephenie Meyer changes it up fairly dramatically in The Chemist (2016), her second adult novel, where there is nary a vampire, werewolf or space alien to be found. It’s a rather pulpy but absorbing thriller in the vein of a Jason Bourne novel (to whom she’s dedicated this novel, among others). There’s no real speculative element here, other than perhaps some new developments in chemical-bas
Tatiana
Jul 19, 2016 marked it as lost-interest
I don't get it. It is November 10th, and NOT ONE of my 3000 goodreads friends has read this book yet? How is it possible? Has Stephenie Meyer's fame completely evaporated already?!
Arah-Lynda
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-said, paperwhite
Okay so to be honest it vexes me to see Stephenie Meyer being vilified by so many reviewers here on Goodreads.  To be clear it’s not that I don’t believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion or the right to express it, because I wholeheartedly embrace those rights.  No it is more than that.  I mean there are not so pleasant reviews posted by people who admittedly have not even read the book in question and then there are those that completely deconstruct the book (pick one, particularl ...more
O.R.
Jul 19, 2016 marked it as to-read
Hey at least she is trying new stories unlike Clare who only knows how to milk one skinny cow.
Vane J.
Jul 19, 2016 marked it as would-not-even-touch
The title of this book is an offense. What have chemists (and chemists-to-be) done to deserve such a punishment as to be in the title of a book by Stephenie Meyer of all people?!?

Raeleen Lemay
DNF'd on page 231

HONESTLY. This book was decent until the "romance" was introduced. Admittedly, the plot had slowed down a bit and I was beginning to lose interest, but that put it over the top. I read a few reviews and the fact that the rest of the book is full of this ridiculous excuse for a plot is enough reason for me to put the book down. NO THANKS *bye*
Gabby
Jul 19, 2016 marked it as on-hold
But...but what about the sequel to The Host???
Tina Haigler
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4 3/4 stars!

This was awesome! I was invested from the first chapter. It was action packed! The story drew me in and I really wanted to find out who was behind it all. There were a few slower chapters scattered throughout but they were still interesting. In other reviews, some people considered it too wordy but I didn't feel this way at all. I actually liked having all the information and knowing how much preparation and strife the main character went through to not be found and killed. Apparentl
Matthew
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, audio, library
Not really sure how I feel about this one. I am willing to go as high as 3.5, but probably closer to three.

High points:
- The characters: I liked the main characters, they are pretty interesting.
- The chemistry - a unique approach to the spy-action drama

The so-so points:
- The relationships: While I liked the characters, their relationships were kinda silly
- The length: For what went on, this book was much longer than it needed to be. There were some very drug out scenes in the middle.

The blah poi
P
Jul 20, 2016 marked it as to-read
My queen is back !

I'm so high.
Miranda Reads
Watch out world, Stephenie Meyer entered her Miley phase
description
Figure 1. Left: Twilight-Stephie, We'll wait til we get married cause I lurve you. Love you more. No, love you more. La-ti-da, beautiful happy life. Right: Stephie 2.0, BOOM. Sex. Drugs. Cursing. Torture. Now let's kill some characters.

She's baaaaaaack and badder than ever. Gone are the peace-loving vampires and here are the half-crazed mad scientist on the run plus an equally psycho ex-agent....plus a soulful puppy-dog of a man?
“This is
Ninoska Goris
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: leido-2017
Español - English

Soy fanática de la serie Twilight y no me importa lo que digan. Deben reconocer que Stephenie Meyer cambió la forma de escribir libros YA.

Obviamente tenía que leer este libro. Lo compré cuando salió en inglés pero luego quise esperar a que saliera la versión en español.

Mis expectativas eran realmente altas y me defraudó. Como pudo la misma persona escribir la saga Twilight y este libro?

Es absolutamente aburrido, le sobran 200 páginas rellenadas con banalidades sin sentido, una p
Norma * Traveling Sister
3.5 stars!
I was extremely excited to read THE CHEMIST by STEPHENIE MEYER as I absolutely loved THE HOST and was hoping that this one would be just as good. Unfortunately, it didn't quite meet up to my expectations. I read THE HOST in one day, and this one took me six days to finish! There were some exciting moments to this novel and then at other times it seemed to drag and it was a little bit boring for me. I could put it down and walk away and then at other times all I could think of was readi
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔

Screw it. I'm calling it at 8% - DNF. :/

The writing style is weird, I can't get into the main character or plot. It seems generic to me. Super secret spy must save the world from biological weapon. The details describing her tactics and survival skills was just ... boring.

Also, it's almost all "tell" don't show, info dump. Dictating things that came before. Unemotional writing. Choppy. The blurb says it's fast-paced, but I don't get that at all.

And once again, it feels bloated, even at 8%. Why
Trina (Between Chapters)
Apr 29, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Attempted in April 2017. DNFed on page 56.

WAIT, PAGE 56?? Are you telling me I didn't get further than 56 pages?! I have been reading this audiobook for WEEKS and made it two hours in, and that was only FIFTY SIX PAGES? It felt like about 500. Of nothing happening.

I was excited about this book. I loved Stephanie Meyer's adult sci-fi The Host and was eager to see her write another adult novel but this was just boring. It was 56 years pages of infodump on how this character hides her identity and
Natalie Monroe
Jul 19, 2016 marked it as morbidly-curious
Hmm. Hmm. HMMM.

The blurb is lackluster. The forbidden love element terrifies the shit out of me.

We shall see.
"The Chemist is the love child created from the union of my romantic sensibilities and my obsession with Jason Bourne/Aaron Cross. I very much enjoyed spending time with a different kind of action hero, one whose primary weapon isn’t a gun or a knife or bulging muscles, but rather her brain." -Stephenie Meyer
Ms. Meyer's personal tribute comes through perfectly in The Chemist. It is impossible to not notice the blatant similarities of this female version of the death-avoiding, dangerously skille
Phrynne
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Forget who the author is and just judge the book on its own value. It turns out to be a very readable, entertaining story with likeable characters ( Daniel in particular) and some well written and amusing dialogue. I enjoyed it and the 500+ pages just slid past.
That's not to say that a little more editor's red pen could have been applied. There were sections that went on too long, and some judicious cutting could have made the book tighter and might even have given it a greater degree of suspens
Juliet-Camille
To all the people who are bashing this simply on the basis that "it's Stephenie Meyer" and "Twilight-vomit-OMG" my sentimate to you is this:

description

But anyway, to this book - I enjoyed it, though I do have to say this was not a typical genre that I would gravitate to. I thought the subject matter was fascinating and characters like Kevin and Val were so interesting. Though I didn't love this as much as I loved The Host, it was so much better than the mess that was Breaking Dawn.

The only thing I didn't l
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
What are the odds that this turns out to be as drab as it looks? Minimalism worked well with Twilight but to whoever designed that cover: seriously, what were you thinking???

That aside– Stephenie, for all that is holy, this better not be a big, fat romance parading as a female Jason Bourne novel. Please. Pretty please. With Edward sparkles and glitter on top?
2018 Reading Chal...: The Chemist 30 200 Jun 08, 2018 06:27AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Adult Fiction with former female interrogator on the run but does one last job. [s] 5 12 Apr 19, 2018 11:14PM
What did you think? 14 92 Nov 07, 2017 06:18AM
English 1 H Period 8: The Chemist Review - Tammy Z. 1 3 Sep 08, 2017 07:50AM
Unfinished books 1 17 Sep 07, 2017 10:37PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The Chemist 3 5 Aug 20, 2017 07:15PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Chemist By Stephenie Meyer - Restarting August 7th 2017 65 42 Aug 11, 2017 03:43PM
I was born in Connecticut in 1973, during a brief blip in my family's otherwise western U.S. existence. We were settled in Phoenix by the time I was four, and I think of myself as a native. The unusual spelling of my name was a gift from my father, Stephen (+ ie = me). Though I have had my name spelled wrong on pretty much everything my entire life long, I must admit that it makes it easier to Goo ...more
More about Stephenie Meyer

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Tyrannosaur Canyon
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
“You'll make mistakes because it's impossible to know what is or isn't a mistake until it's made.” 46 likes
“Sometimes you cling to a mistake simply because it took so long to make.” 16 likes