Reading Is Fun discussion

And Then There Were None
This topic is about And Then There Were None
BOM: 2017 > June 2017 BOM: And Then There Were None

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gavin (last edited Jun 01, 2017 01:23AM) (new) - added it

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 202 comments Mod
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Genres: Adult, Classic, Mystery, Thriller, Suspense

Average GR Rating: 4.23

First, there were ten - a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal - and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. One by one they fall prey. Before the weekend is out, there will be none. And only the dead are above suspicion. (less)

message 2: by Gavin (last edited May 31, 2017 08:56AM) (new) - added it

This is a discussion for our June 2017 BOM: And Then There Were None.
Please feel free to discuss your thoughts!

NEW:
Feel free to post discussion questions! Just make sure to mark questions with spoilers as spoilers, and also state which chapter the spoiler is for.
You do not need to state which section of the books the questions are for, and you do not need to write questions in order.

ALSO NEW:
MEDALS!
Medals up for grabs:
WHODUNIT (correctly guess whodunit (must have a final answer, final answer is not changeable, must be guessed before the reveal, re-readers may not receive this medal)
WHYDUNIT (correctly guess whydunit (same rules of WHODUNIT)

NOTE:
People who have read the book (such as myself), please refrain from saying whodunit, even in spoilers, as to not ruin this tale.

message 3: by Gavin (last edited Jun 04, 2017 01:49AM) (new) - added it

Reading Schedule:
June 15: 1-3
June 16:4-7
June 17: 8-11
June 18: 12-14
June 19: 15-End

Even if you don't keep with the schedule, you can still participate.

message 4: by Gavin (new) - added it

I'll be joining this one! Looking forward to it!

message 5: by Gavin (new) - added it

Quite behind on this one...
Finished the first three chapters...
It's kind of strange how they changed Indian Island to Soldier Island... Probably 'cuz of racism?

Emily Murphy | 2 comments The original title was apparently "Ten Little Indians," I think, which does sound problematic. My edition is titled "And Then There Were None" but still has "Indian Island." I wonder what Agatha Christie thought of the changes - if she wanted them or if her publisher did.

message 7: by Gavin (last edited Jun 20, 2017 06:27AM) (new) - added it

Emily wrote: "The original title was apparently "Ten Little Indians," I think, which does sound problematic. My edition is titled "And Then There Were None" but still has "Indian Island." I wonder what Agatha Ch..."

Yeah, I believe some of the older editions are titled that.
Mine's the 75th anniversary edition, which came out just a few years back, so I guess that's why it's different?
Every word that's supposed to be Indian has been changed to Soldier, even the poem... Though, tbh, I guess it doesn't matter or change the story at all...

Emily Murphy | 2 comments Yeah it doesn't really change the story. But do you know if the poem is an actual nursery rhyme, or if Agatha Christie just made it up?

For reference, my edition is from 1983.

message 9: by Gavin (new) - added it

Woof, that's one old ed!
Seems like the poem (also known as "Ten Little Niggers") is a real nursery rhyme sung by an unknown poet

Brylle Nico Fernandez | 1 comments so that's a nursery rhyme? No wonder kids are so racist these days