Start by marking “And Then There Were None” as Want to Read:

And Then There Were None

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  617,943 ratings  ·  24,319 reviews
The World's Bestselling Mystery

"Ten . . ."
Ten strangers are lured to an isolated island mansion off the Devon coast by a mysterious "U.N. Owen."

"Nine . . ."
At dinner a recorded message accuses each of them in turn of having a guilty secret, and by the end of the night one of the guests is dead.

"Eight . . ."
Stranded by a violent storm, and haunted by a nursery rhyme countin
Published March 29th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published November 6th 1939)

To ask other readers questions about And Then There Were None, please sign up.
Jackie Allen That's exactly what I like about it. I love not being able to guess who did it. Often killers are so easy to work out. This one had me guessing until…moreThat's exactly what I like about it. I love not being able to guess who did it. Often killers are so easy to work out. This one had me guessing until the very end and even then I read back to see what I missed!(less)
Azur The original title was actually "Ten little niggers". There is (was?) a small island named Nigger Island that inspired Christie for the setting. Since…moreThe original title was actually "Ten little niggers". There is (was?) a small island named Nigger Island that inspired Christie for the setting. Since this is pretty offensive it was changed to "Ten little Indians". The children's rhyme was originally about Indians/Native Americans. This was deemed offensive too, so today they use the last line of the children's rhyme as title and the little figures were changed to soldiers.
Information from my copy of the book.

I have two versions of this book. One is the English version with the little soldiers. The other one is a German translation of the original version with the N word (and a ton of apologies in the preface) but also with the last line as title. (less)

·  617,943 ratings  ·  24,319 reviews

Kinga
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin I would like to apologise for my use of the N word in this review.
It is necessary, I promise.

This book was originally published in UK under a charming title of "Ten Little Niggers". When it came to the US version in the 40's someone decided that 'Ten Little Niggers' is not the most marketable title for a book so they changed it to 'Ten Little Indians' (as it was still ok to call Native Americans Indians then).
Only years after someone decided that neither 'Niggers', nor 'Indians'
Mohammed Arabey
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
يجب أن أعترف أن ضيق أفقي هو مامنعني من دخول عالم أجاثا كريستي
فمنذ صغري لم تبهرني أغلفة قصصها المترجمة للعربية
كما أن معرفة والدي لافلامها وقراءة والدتي لروايتها منذ الصغر جعلني أشعر أن الغموض بهذه القصص "موضة قديمة" وألغازها ستكون مكشوفة لي
ناهيك عن مقولة "لابد أن الخادم هو من فعلها كقصص أجاثا كريستي" جعلتني
متشككا أن الحل دائما نمطيا
فلماذا أقرأ لها؟..لم يعد هناك شئ

عشر عساكر صغار ذهبوا الي العشاء
اختنق احدهم ..ثم تبقي تسعة

الي ان جائتني دعوة..دعوه لقراءة احد كتب اجاثا كريستي لانها في قائمة أعلي
Nataliya
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it

This lovely mystery book is first and foremost about the administration of the long-overdue justice, right? At least that's what the mastermind behind it all believes.

But the question is - who has the right to decide what justice is? And who is to decide what punishment serves the crime? And is perceived justice at all costs the ultimate goal, or is it the frequently pointless work of a maniac? As a matter of fact, what is justice after all?

I think the story of this book (the one that may win th
Emily May
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I'm a big lover of Agatha Christie, she has written some fantastic murder mysteries and her stories never get tiring. But this is the one that just comes out on top every time.

It partly, and quite amusingly, reminds me of that old American murder mystery in Sunset Beach. Basically, they're the only ones on this island and someone is killing them off one by one in accordance with the Ten Little Indians rhyme . And I swear I never saw it coming, and I'm usually very good at it. It's just a very cl
شيماء ✨
*smiles seductively, while swirling a glass of red wine* this book has left me feeling severely emotionally unstable...

The level of "messed up" that is this book cannot be articulated within the confines of English. I'm supposed to write a coherent review as an assignment, but I have a better idea. I'm going to show up to class next week with a PowerPoint slideshow where the first (and only) slide just says, "BRO WHAT THE FUCK?"
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. This is the book that started my absolute love of the mystery genre. I was addicted and must have read it 3 or 4 times over the course of the year. Between the poem, the deserted island, the plot twist, the count-down, the pure clandestine suspense... it couldn't get any better.

Story
Ten people receive a mystery letter from someone they don't know that indicates they should come to a remote island. Why would they go????? After arriving, the
PirateSteve
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the worlds best selling books of all time, Agatha Christie's "and Then There Were None" sets the standard for crime fiction.
The book was first published under a different title in jolly old England, but even back in 1939 American publishers were far too politically correct to use a title they found so offensive.
Still again, in 1964 and again in 1986 a third title was published but political correctness struck again. I read the book under the authors original title because I wanted to re
Anne

Reread: 2015
Because some Non-Crunchy Cool Classic Pantaloonless friends thought I read it wrong...

description

Turns out, I did. This was a really good mystery!
{insert long-winded apology with much groveling}
Happy, guys?

description

The story goes a bit like this:
10 strangers each get invitations from someone they think they know, to stay on an island resort. Hells yeah! Sunshine & sea air!

description

Well, resort is a bit of a misnomer.
It's really a big house on an island. Still, it's famous for being a party place, and nobody
Charlotte May
“Watch and pray. The day of judgement is at hand.”

Now I understand why Agatha is the Queen of crime! This was addictive.

A group of people are all individually invited to an island for a summer holiday in Devon. None of them 100% sure who their mysterious host is. Things become even more peculiar when their host isn’t there when they arrive, and doesn’t show themselves at all.

One by one the guests are killed, picked off, leaving the others terrified and paranoid. It was a fantastic mystery t
Brina
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This year I have decided to take part in a women's century challenge in the group catching up on classics where the participants read a book written in ten consecutive decades. I chose to focus on the 20th century and my 1930s selection is And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Although I had previously read some of her Hercule Poirot cases, this is my first stand alone mystery of Christie's that I have read. A suspenseful premise for a case, And Then There Were None left me on edge for th ...more
Kai
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, classics
“When the sea goes down, there will come from the mainland boats and men. And they will find ten dead bodies and an unsolved problem on Soldier Island.”

My first Agatha Christie, and a good one indeed. And Then There Were None just recently came to my attention. Maybe it was the new mini-series or the many people suddenly reading this, but I was intrigued immediately. I can't wait to watch the series!

Agatha Christie totally tricked me. I thought I had figured it out, but I was wrong. This novel t
Alejandro
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel, detective, horror
Extraordinary and gripping novel!

I knew that the best way to start reading the literary work by Agatha Christie was choosing her most known book. And There were none is the best-selling mystery novel of all time with 100 million of copies, and the fifth book in the list comprehending all genres. That is something to give to Agatha Christie the respect that she deserves.

Initially this novel on UK was titled Ten Little Niggers, only because the original nursery rhyme was called that but it was obv
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$2.99 Kindle sale, Dec. 26, 2018. Every once in a while on Goodreads I find myself feeling compelled to make a True Confession, and here's another one: I'm not all that much of a Hercule Poirot fan.

For someone who's read probably 30 or 40 Agatha Christie books over her lifetime, that's probably an odd thing. I like him okay, I don't DISlike him, but yeah, he kind of irks me sometimes. So when I'm picking up an Agatha Christie mystery, I'm always a little bit tickled when it doesn't involve Poir
Junta
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Junta by: Detective Conan
"Ten literary Goodreads reviewers chatting online;
One bot was discovered and then there were Nine.
Nine literary Goodreads reviewers on a thread until late;
One lost his Wi-Fi signal and then there were Eight.
Eight literary Goodreads reviewers groupreading Austen;
One only read males and then there were Seven.
Seven literary Goodreads reviewers averse to using pics;
One blasphemed with GIFs and then there were Six.
Six literary Goodreads reviewers booktubing live;
One revealed too much and then there
İntellecta
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime
Kurgusu mükemmel. İnsan son ana kadar katili kestiremiyor. Olaylar çok çabuk gelişiyor ve kitap bir çırpıda okunuyor. Bence en güzel Agatha Christie romanı ...
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
And Then There Were None is one of Agatha Christie's most celebrated mystery novels, and purportedly one of the most difficult for her to write.

I don't dislike this book. It seems to be a favorite among many, but it's very middle of the road for me as far as Mystery/Thriller books go.

The Good:

I enjoy the setup & how this mystery is structured. It's fun & easy to engage with in a "Gee, I sure am glad I'm not in their shoes" kind of way.

It's written well with an accurate insight on hu
Nick
Jan 21, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait to read this in one sit.
Aqsa
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy Read with sweet Nasom :)

(Spoilers are in spoiler tags!)

There was something magical about an island-the mere word suggested fantasy. You lost touch with the world-an island was a world of its own. A world, perhaps, from which you might never return.

What would you do if you were invited to a place raved about everywhere, a place where your friend, someone you met once, your colleague, or some old pal invited to you to? Or maybe if you were called in for employment, to be a secretary or det
Mansuriah Hassan
Wow! This is a masterpiece! Dame Agatha Christie's achievement is remarkable. She creates ten characters, all suspected of murder, who are lured to an island. She has them meet their deaths one by one as nominated in the nursery rhyme "Ten Little Indians" which is displayed in their rooms. She has each murder occur in a situation where almost all the other island guests might have had opportunity to commit it.

Set on an isolated island without contact of the outside civilization, a group of ten
°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ʜᴇʟᴇɴ Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°° ★·.·´¯`·.·★ Ⓥⓔⓡⓝⓤⓢ Ⓟⓞⓡⓣⓘⓣⓞⓡ Ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓤⓢ Ταμετούρο   Αμ
Η αξία και η γοητεία του κλασικού αστυνομικού μυστηρίου.
Εκπληκτική πλοκή,εξαιρετική περιγραφή και σκιαγράφηση ηρώων καθώς η συναισθηματική τους φόρτιση μεταλλάσσεται απο στιγμή σε στιγμή.
Όλες οι ανθρώπινες αδυναμίες και αρετές σε ακραία σημεία.
Απο το πάθος στο λάθος. Απο τη χαρά στον πόνο. Απο την αθώωση στην παντοτινή ταπείνωση μέσω συνείδησης.
Όλοι κρίθηκαν αθώοι για κάποια εγκλήματα. Σχεδόν όλοι ειναι ένοχοι όμως.
Ανάμεσα σε δέκα άτομα που δέχονται πρόσκληση για το νησί του Νέγρου με σκοπό
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
SUCH a superb mystery. Wow.
Iryna *Book and Sword*

No wonder this is considered to be the best book of Agatha Christie's ever - it is truly a masterpiece.

And I am not just saying it- I truly mean it. I didn't just discovered it and am not speaking on a high rush of that fresh new read feeling - this was a re-read for me. And I don't re-read books very often - only t
Moira Russell
I admit I am a late, reluctant and suspicious convert to Christie. I avoided her studiously as an adolescent, because dozens and dozens of her paperbacks were always on sale with equally cheap indistinguishable romances and other 'women's books,' and I wanted no part of those. I read Chandler, not Christie; Hammett, not Sayers; James, not Marsh. I even read a few Spillane books, for Chrissakes, at a friend's urging (UGH), but still no Christie. Those endless TV adaptations, with the dotty Miss M ...more
Evgeny
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten Figures

To talk about the plot of this book however briefly would give spoilers right away. For people who have not read them, spoilers kill Agatha Christie books. Basically there is a small isolated island bought by an American millionaire which was later sold to a mysterious party generating a lot of rumors about the latest buyer. A group of very different people ended up on the island.
Island

If you are familiar with the Dame of Mystery's writing you would guess there will be a murder. If you have read sever
Manny
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend Amelie and I used this book as half of our corpus when we wrote our 1990 paper, An Implementable Semantics for Comparative Constructions . We spent several days combing through the text, extracting and categorizing every single occurrence of a comparative construction. So you'll appreciate that I know what I'm talking about when I say it's better than most murder mysteries.
mark monday
You Chose Your Own Adventure!

You are a man, you are a woman; you are judge, jury, and executioner. You are surrounded by murderers and assholes. Kill ‘em all! Then kill yourself. Your adventure is over.

If you would like to start your life anew, choose
Candi
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book ages ago; I believe it was my very first Agatha Christie book. I recall searching through the shelves of the local library in the mystery section trying to find something I hadn’t already read. This was during a phase when all I wanted to read were mysteries and nothing else – I suppose I was attempting to create some sort of balance with the high school required reading curriculum. I have to admit that I don’t think I had ever heard of Agatha Christie until that moment. (My par ...more
Celeste
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten little soldier boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were Nine.
Nine little soldier boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were Eight.
Eight little soldier boys traveling in Devon; One said he’d stay there and then there were Seven.
Seven little soldier boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were Six.
Six little soldier boys playing with a hive; A bumble bee stung one and then there were Five.
Five little soldier boys
PattyMacDotComma
“So far the murderer has had an easy task, since his victims have been unsuspicious. From now on, it is our task to suspect each and every one amongst us. Forewarned is forearmed. Take no risks and be alert to danger. That is all."

I had never read this classic “locked-room” mystery, which is actually an isolated-island mystery. Written in 1939, nearly 80 years ago, it’s obvious there will be no helicopters doing either retrievals or midnight drops of surprise visitors. And there’s no telephone
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Speak
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Anna Karenina
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Brat Farrar
  • The Doorbell Rang (Nero Wolfe, #41)
  • Final Curtain (Roderick Alleyn, #14)
  • The Three Coffins (Dr. Gideon Fell, #6)
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case (Roger Sheringham Cases, #5)
  • A Taste for Death (Adam Dalgliesh, #7)
  • Lion in the Valley  (Amelia Peabody, #4)
  • The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #2)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t
“Ten little Indian boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine.
Nine little Indian boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were eight.
Eight little Indian boys travelling in Devon; One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.
Seven little Indian boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.
Six little Indian boys playing with a hive; A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.
Five little Indian boys going in for law; One got in Chancery and then there were four.
Four little Indian boys going out to sea; A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.
Three little Indian boys walking in the Zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were two.
Two little Indian boys sitting in the sun; One got frizzled up and then there was one.
One little Indian boy left all alone; He went and hanged himself and then there were none.”
587 likes