SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Looking for series or trilogy

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wolfgarr (new)

Wolfgarr | 7 comments looking for something new to read. Science Fiction or Fantasy. Hit me with your recommendations. Prefer Male Main characters. But also like Characters like Honor Harrington.

With almost 1600 books read its getting harder to find new material. Series or multi book trilogies etc please. No singletons. Would help if the MC isn't a blithering idiot.. (subjective i know)

Not apposed to urban fantasy.. Just..No romance novels or Who dunits please.

Cheers

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace Crandall | 85 comments I'm reading Fullmetal Alchemist at the moment--20-some graphic novels in the series, all quick reads (but not brainless), and the two leads (Ed and Al Elric) are both super smart, cool dudes. (I'd definitely recommend it) :D
Also the Westmark trilogy by Lloyd Alexander is a really awesome dark fantasy series (lil bit of romance. Not a sickening amount).
If you like trickster/rogue MCs, the Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner is one of my all-time favorites. Lots of politics (also a bit of romance, but it's never the main focus). :)

message 3: by Faith (new)

Faith | 224 comments I see you have Midnight Riot on your to read list. I love that series. You might also try the trilogy starting with City of Stairs. I haven't read the third book but loved the first two.

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 3905 comments Try the Sten series by Allan Cole and Chris Bunch. Sort of in the vein of Military SF but each story takes inspiration from classic movies. First one is Sten.

The Ex-Heroes series is about superheroes versus zombies in the apocalypse. Very entertaining. First one is Ex-Heroes.

The Destroyermen series is about a WWI-era US destroyer going up against a state-of-the-art Japanese battleship in WWII when they both sucked into a weird storm that deposits them on an alternate Earth where humans never evolved and dinosaurs never went extinct. The first one is Into the Storm.

The Riyria stories are Fantasy about a pair of thieves. Lots of swashbuckling action, twists and double-crosses. The first two books are collected in Theft of Swords.

message 5: by Wolfgarr (new)

Wolfgarr | 7 comments Grace wrote: "I'm reading Fullmetal Alchemist at the moment--20-some graphic novels in the series, all quick reads (but not brainless), and the two leads (Ed and Al Elric) are both super smart, cool dudes. (I'd ..."
Thank you Grace :) i think i have read just about everything loyd Alexander has ever written. Not 100% sure though. Cheers

Trike wrote: "Try the Sten series by Allan Cole and Chris Bunch. Sort of in the vein of Military SF but each story takes inspiration from classic movies. First one is Sten.

The Ex-Heroes series is..."

Thank you Trike Have read the Sten Series before. Just never got round to marking it down (was before i joined Goodreads back in 2013. I also love the Destroyerman series of books. Well at least the first ones. I will be checking out Ex heroes and riyria series. :) Cheers

Faith wrote: "I see you have Midnight Riot on your to read list. I love that series. You might also try the trilogy starting with City of Stairs. I haven't read the third book but ..."

Thank you faith :) Will def be checking it out.

message 6: by Grace (new)

Grace Crandall | 85 comments Ahhh a fellow Lloyd Alexander fan!!! You have awesome taste :D

message 7: by Wolfgarr (new)

Wolfgarr | 7 comments Grace wrote: "Ahhh a fellow Lloyd Alexander fan!!! You have awesome taste :D"

:) Still remember reading https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... When i was a kid. It made a impression. Kind of hooked me on reading you could say. Before that my mom had a terrible time trying to get me to read..Afterwards she had even more problems getting me to go to sleep lol.

Between him and Robert Heinlein i got hooked big time.. It really is a toss up who's books i love the most. Heinlein for the science Fiction with out a doubt.. And Lloyd for the fantasy. Cheers Grace.

Sam B . Thank you. Will check your books out.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (HeidiAngell) | 74 comments I am really enjoying Andy Peloquin's Last Bucelarii series. It starts with Blade of the Destroyer Blade of the Destroyer (The Last Bucelarii Book 1) by Andy Peloquin He is mid-series, but publishes pretty fast. I think the third book comes out this month? I also love how his world's intertwine. Just finished Child of the Night Guild Child of the Night Guild (Queen of Thieves #1) by Andy Peloquin It is about a female character, but she's pretty awesome. To me, she blows Honor out of the water. (And I LOVE Honor.)

I'm also enjoying Joshua Robertson's Aenerfell series, which starts with Melkorka Melkorka (The Kaelandur Series, #1) by Joshua Robertson It's a three book series, and I am on the second book right now.

As for Sci-fi, have you tried Adam Dreece I haven't read his series yet, but I loved Man of Cloud 9, and have added all his books to my TBR as a result.

I can't think of any other series that you haven't already read or added to your TBR, but if you want some good stand alones, let me know.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 3905 comments Have you tried the Tour of the Merrimack series by R.M. Meluch? First one is The Myriad.

message 10: by The Jokester (new)

The Jokester (Thejokester) | 5 comments I am half way through Mark T. Barnes trilogy Echoes of Empire and am enjoying them very much. https://www.amazon.com/Mark-T.-Barnes...

message 11: by Nokomis.FL (last edited Apr 21, 2017 04:32AM) (new)

Nokomis.FL (NokomisFL) | 31 comments Wolfgarr wrote: "looking for something new to read. Science Fiction or Fantasy. Hit me with your recommendations. Prefer Male Main characters. But also like Characters like Honor Harrington."

If you'd like a space opera look at either Joshua Dalzelle's Blackfleet series and it's Expansion Wars followup. I'd also look at Joel Shepherd's Sprial Wars trilogy but if you want a long series, Ryk Brown's Frontiers Saga is 15 books long, and it's the first of 4 parts. He's on book 3 or 4 of part 2 at the moment.

message 12: by Allison, The Once and Future Mod (last edited Apr 21, 2017 05:58AM) (new)

Allison Hurd | 6303 comments Mod
I am surprised not to see Ancillary Justice or anything by Octavia E. Butler on your list. Both Ann and Octavia are considered iconic writers in the sci-fi (or in Octavia's case science fantasy) realms.

message 13: by Grace (new)

Grace Crandall | 85 comments Ahh yes the Prydain Chronicles were some of my favorites (still are, come to think of it...) my first Alexander book was Time Cat (I had a thing for cats) and from there I tried to buy up every Lloyd Alexander book I could find. Westmark is still my favorite of his series, but I really ended up loving the standalones, especially The Iron Ring and The Two Lives of Lukas-Kasha--he definitely shaped my taste in books :D

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan (Jan130) | 144 comments I love Alastair Reynolds' revelation space series. Revelation Space (Revelation Space, #1) by Alastair Reynolds

message 15: by Ilona (new)

Ilona (Ilona-s) | 77 comments K J Parker's fencer trilogy is a fun dark fantasy Colours in the Steel or Miles Cameron's current serie mixes medieval battles with magic The Dread Wyrm

message 16: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 436 comments Have you read the TAKESHI KOVACS trilogy by RICHARD K. MORGAN? Starts with Altered Carbon, then Broken Angels and Woken Furies?

Quite good space opera, noir thrillers.

message 17: by Wolfgarr (new)

Wolfgarr | 7 comments Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Will take me a couple weeks to read all of this. Cheers :)

message 18: by Kateb (new)

Kateb | 674 comments i still find myself recommending Joel Shepherd's Cassandra series . a different outlook

message 19: by Carro (new)

Carro | 44 comments Have you tried Julie Czerneda'sSurvival? Trilogy. Female main character - but tough, bright academic. Main character is a field study biologist working on salmon - as in living in a research station on stilts, getting seriously wet in rivers - so not girly. I particularly like the series for getting scientist behaviour really right and for making biology the key to the plot.
Good adventure story and I like the good variety of aliens.

message 20: by Doc (new)

Doc (docd3) | 54 comments Good story but a little wordy.

message 21: by Trike (new)

Trike | 3905 comments Jack Chalker has a couple interesting series. The Well World saga is his magnum opus, first one being Midnight at the Well of Souls. The four-book series called The Four Lords of the Diamond is also pretty epic in scope.

message 22: by Mikhail (new)

Mikhail G (mikhailg) | 8 comments The Black Company fantasy series by Glen Cook is fantastic (except where it loses steam in the last two books). It's a low fantasy chronicle of a mercenary company. George RR Martin credits it as one of the inspirations for Game of Thrones.

First book here:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

Or the first omnibus (collecting books 1-3):
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40...

message 23: by C Patrick (new)

C Patrick Daily (Verminous) I'll second Black Company books.

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele | 896 comments Frank Herbert's Dune trilogy

Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar trilogy starting with The Summer Tree

Stephen R. Donaldson's first trilogy starting with Lord Foul's Bane

Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea trilogy starting with A Wizard of Earthsea

message 25: by Michele (new)

Michele | 896 comments Also perhaps Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy (foundation, foundation and empire, etc)

message 26: by Najaf (new)

Najaf Naqvi (najafnaqvi) | 33 comments try Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga. its a quick read, funny at times, and great if you have to do a ton of mindless chores.

message 27: by Jan (new)

Jan (Jan130) | 144 comments Michele wrote: "Frank Herbert's Dune trilogy

Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar trilogy starting with The Summer Tree

Stephen R. Donaldson's first trilogy starting with Lord Foul's Bane

Ursula LeGu..."

Good choices, Michelle. And the Asimov, although I haven't read that in years. Wonder how I'd find it now?

message 28: by Michele (new)

Michele | 896 comments Ah, I see you've already read the Foundation series :)

Other good choices that I don't see on your list:

Sharon Shinn's Samaria series, starting with Archangel. The further into it you go, the more you learn about this very interesting world she's created. There are usually multiple main characters, male and female.

Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea series, a real classic. Start with A Wizard of Earthsea.

Patricia McKillip's Riddle of Stars series, starting with The Riddle-Master of Hed

Robert E. Howard's classic Conan the Barbarian series, starting with Conan the Barbarian - The Original, Unabridged Adventures of the World's Greatest Fantasy Hero.

I see you read Tad Williams fantasy series Memory, Sorrow and Thorn; you might like his sci fi series Otherland, starting with City of Golden Shadow.

Ian Banks' Culture series, starting with Consider Phlebas is a terrific hard SF series.

Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis series starting with Lilith's Brood, excellent.

Margaret Atwood's MadAddam trilogy that begins with Oryx and Crake

message 29: by Kateb (new)

Kateb | 674 comments Raymond Feist, Joel Shepherd, C.J Cherryh, Sara Douglas, Kate Elliott,

There are soooo many good trilogies you will be reading for ages.
Then you could try longer series eg Anne McCaffrey and the tower series.( 5 books) or her Freedom landing books ( 4) ,

L E Modesitti Soprano series of 5 books