Start by marking “Archangel (Samaria, #1)” as Want to Read:
Archangel (Samaria, #1)

Archangel

(Samaria Published Order #1)

And so it came to pass...

Through science, faith and force of will, the Harmonics carved out for themselves a society that they conceived of as perfect. Diverse peoples held together by respect for each other and the prospect of swift punishment if they disobeyed their laws. Fertile land that embraced a variety of climates and seasons. Angels to guard the mortals and mysti
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published April 1st 1997 by Ace (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Archangel, please sign up.
Stephanie Thorpe There are some spoilers in the later published books that actually occur chronologically earlier so reading them in chronological order would give…moreThere are some spoilers in the later published books that actually occur chronologically earlier so reading them in chronological order would give some things away. I would recommend reading in published order.(less)

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2007
There are five books out in this series, though each can be read as stand-alone novels. I think this is the first one (I wanted to start at the beginning, if I could), and very intriguing and well-written it is. I read it in a day. I'm a new fan of Shinn!

Archangel is set on another world, on a land called Samaria which is divided up into three realms: Gaza, Bethel and Jordanna. They aren't the only place names that sound familiar, there's also Mount Sinai, the Plain of Sharon and the Galilee Ri
Emily
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emily by: Shannon
Shelves: 2008-10, fantasy
Fabulous book! Very creative and different. The characters were compelling and deep (but sometimes annoying). Great world building. I can’t wait to continue on with this series. I couldn’t put it down.

Note - Archangel is not a Romance novel. This is a Fantasy novel with romantic elements, but do not expect your traditional Romance themes & behaviors – you will most likely be disappointed.

Another Note – I’ve heard some complaints about the religious elements in the book. That said the religio
Lightreads
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Oh, you know, it’s your typical book about another planet where an angel rescues a woman from slavery and forces her to marry him because his god/an AI told him to. Oh, and he wears leather. The angel, not the AI.

This is actually not as batshit as I’m making it sound, though it’s still decidedly . . . Pernlike. Id vortex or bust, if you know what I mean, and it was mostly a bust for me. I don’t have an arranged marriage kink or an angel kink or any of the other seventeen kinks this book was hurl
Keertana
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I'm at a loss for words when it comes to Sharon Shinn's Archangel. Utterly torn in fact. I was so sure this novel would earn a hearty 5 Stars from me and make its way to my 'favorites' shelf, but alas, I couldn't bring myself to fall in love with this as I thought I would.

I suppose I'll start at the beginning. I woke up early today morning with plenty of time left before I really needed to be out of bed. Thus, I perused my Kindle library and stumbled upon this. I thought I'd r
Mariel
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: freedom and its owner
Recommended to Mariel by: love is no big truth
Sharon Shinn carries the torch of Joss Whedon for fantasy and science fiction. Oops not everyone is a fan, Mariel. Cliff's notes version: the world is great but what hits close to home has everything to do with the emotional joys and horrors. What resonates and vibrates like an internal chord being struck is the this is what I can feel too stuff because it's the things we're all in it together for. Shinn is kindred spirit to Peter S. Beagle. Her stories make me feel that she could be related to ...more
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
"And if I should leave you, for any reason," he added, tightening his grip as she struggled to free her hand, "I will return to you. That is as certain as the sun rising tomorrow morning and the thunderbolt falling tomorrow night. That is as sure as the god's existence. I will come back to you, or I will find you - over and over again, as often as we are parted, until the end of the world itself.”

3.5 Stars

A sci-fi masquerading as fantasy about angels in an alternative universe before any of that
Lizzy
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found Sharon Shinn's Archangel an awesome fantasy and an amazing entertainment reading. Through highly creative and unusual premises, provocative characters and actions that are always surprising the reader, Shinn was able to create a beautiful story. A tale about love, music, magic, power and honor and has done it so well that I found myself escaping into her world, living it through her protagonists, so strong in their imperfections and conflicting desires.

Archangel is set in Samaria, divi
Felicia
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this series so much. Predates a lot of the fantasy/romance out there that's so popular now. Angels in an alternate universe. Weird to explain but really really good!
Cheri
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
The world building was interesting, the story drew me in and even when I wanted to give up, I held on hoping that things would get better. This story gets a three star rating because of the details and music description but that's about it.

The story started off with Gabriel and Rachel being irritating. But as the story went on, I began to sympathize and feel so sorry for Gabriel. Rachel was a really immature shrew. Not once did she stop to consider Gabriel's point of view. I get that she had her
4.5 🌟🌟🌟🌟

"Only the strong are put through the fire" Josiah said. "And the forge creates things of great strength and beauty."

I resented both Rachel and Gabriel at the beginning of the story, but ended up loving them in the end.

The story kept me engaged till the very end and even though, most of the time, the 'what will happen' was pretty obvious, the 'how it will come to pass' was intriguing and beautiful.

I loved the religion and the music. The structure of the society is original and absolutel
JG
I can't do this anymore. I refuse to suffer like this.

I'm sad to say, but the heroine is an immature, biased, spiteful bitch. Can somebody please smack some sense into her! Please! She's ruining the whole story! Everytime she does something good, she ruins it by being such a stubborn bitch! The concept of angels and God is intriguing but all of those thing is overshadowed by how immature the freaking heroine is!

Does she have to be so hateful? Does she have to be angry and bitter and UGHGGGGH
Jess Haines
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Light paranormal romance fans
Summer
In the world of Samaria, there are angels and people. The angels being very powerful, with the the Archangel as the most powerful of them. The current Archangel will soon step down from his position and be taken over by the angel Gabriel. Gabriel has known from a young age that he is to become an Archangel but waits until 5 months before he is to take the position to find his angelica. An angelica is a human woman paired with a male angel. Angels can only be produced from a pairing of an angel a ...more
Jon
Jan 25, 2012 added it
Recommended to Jon by: Beyond Reality Feb 2012 Selection
Anoolka
About 60 pages in the book drew me in and it was a very fast and pleasant read. Good writing style. There were moments where I was slightly annoyed with Rachel for being stubborn for stubborness sake. She admited often that she did thinks purely to be contrary and after awhile that gets tiresome. Over all I did like her. The plot was interesting, the other characters as well and the setting has a lot of promise in this weird religious/sci-fi way.

I didn't terribly like that the Edori were univer
Holly
One of my new favorite authors. She does a nice fantasy/romance thing, but this series also has interesting theology. And her characters are distinct and likeable.

But the best part is the worldbuilding. I really feel like she knows the geography of her worlds inside and out, like it's a living breathing place that really could exist somewhere out there.
Inara
Jul 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy and angel lovers
Angel Gabriel, being next in the line to become Archangel and lead the annual Gloria to assure God everything is in harmony has a problem. He needs to find his chosen bride by God – the Angelica – within six months to assist him with the Gloria or desaster will strike. He isnt happy about Rachel being a farmers daughter und probably untutored to lead the Gloria with him. But Gods will has to be obeyed. When Gabriel arrives at the village where Rachel is supposed to live he finds everything is de ...more
Wendy Darling
Feb 04, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy, pn-angels, adult
Because Sarah J. Maas told me to. Plus SWOON, I hear. :D
Katie
I've been meaning to read this one forevvvvver. I think I'm bumping the rating up a little, but ohhh. I really loved the characters and the world. And I really liked how it addresses issues of belief and faith. I am so excited to read more.

Mostly I guess it's just two things holding me back:

1. The romantic relationship didn't quite work for me until the VERY end. I needed them to spend more time together to really believe in their love. But because I WAS on board at the end, I think I'd like it
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Angel/human romance amid angel political conspiracies and power plays. "On hiatus" is a nice way of saying "this book was a DNF for me but I think I may go back and try to finish it sometime." If I didn't actually own this book, though, I'd probably just mark it DNF and give it up. When Sharon Shinn is on, she's a great fantasy author, but I'm finding that I don't care for everything she writes. Enough people like this that she's written at least 5 books in this series, so maybe it's just me.
Trike
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This is essentially Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern, except Shinn has merged the dragons and people into one, the flying, singing angels.

The world actively annoyed me because it didn’t make any sense, even when allowing for the fact that it’s just a metaphorical Fantasy with some sci-fi stuff overlaid on it.
Shauna
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
"The angelica," he said, through tight lips, "holds the position of highest honor on Samaria. She sings beside the Archangel at the Gloria. She hears petitions that men and women fear to put before the Archangel himself. She can, if she chooses, be a great force for good among mortals, among angels. Many angelicas have had special relationships with Jovah, asking from him boons and favors which have been divinely granted. The angelica is one step from the god."

"The angelica, you said," she resp
Apr 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
There are interesting ideas in this book, and interesting discussions of good versus evil, the nature of God, and faith. (Surprisingly, for a book with obvious religious overtones, the novel didn't put me off as many other "romances" oriented toward women based on the Bible do, such as The Red Tent, which I hated, by the way). The characterization is actually rather good, but in the end, I felt like Shinn copped out, or at the very least couldn't find a way to give closure to her novel. In my op ...more
Princessjay
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This series melds romance and f/sf world building very well. Each book tells the love story of its pair of protagonists, and also the progressive discovery of what this world really is, one generation at a time.

(view spoiler)
Hugo
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I bought this book on a whim after reading about it on a blog I didn't know that it was mainly a romance novel, it caught my interest because the twist on the fantasy setting seemed intriguing.

As a romance novel it more or less follows Formula 1A (not that I'm a big fan of the genre, but I've read enough to recognize the clichés). Head-strong and willful, yet amazingly beautiful and talented servant girl meets proud and brooding noble lord, and there is some sort of connection. Initially they ha
Chachic
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted here.

Before I write anything else, I just want to ask what's up with the cover? I'm going to go ahead and assume that that's Rachel but what is she holding in her hands, a feather and a glowing ball of some sort? It's not part of the story at all. I'm glad I've heard so many good things about this book because otherwise, I wouldn't have picked it up based on the strength of its cover alone.

I loved the worldbuilding in this book. The setting is a fictional country called Samaria
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
This was a disappointment.

I suppose I'm destined for disappointment when I go into a fantasy book expecting romance. But I don't think I'm too far off base with this one, since the entire plot hinged around a marriage of convenience and the two main characters reconciling the differences in their personality and, yes, falling in love.

However, the romantic elements took a far back seat to the politics of a desert land called Samaria, and these politics weren't very interesting. This was essential
Rhapsody
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
A pretty good story set in a uniquely crafted world based on biblical mythology. I've never encountered this sort of setting in a romance or fantasy novel before, so it was fairly striking, and from the style of the writing, Shinn really seems to know how the bible reads.

Gabriel, an angel, is about the be appointed Archangel, leader of the angels of Samaria. He will become Archangel at a ceremony called the Gloria, in which he and his wife must sing. Of course, that means he has to find his bri
Sharon
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The first time I read this, I must have been aroun 14. I remember being very underwhelmed. Now, seven years later, my opinion has changed dramatically. This book is perfection. First of all, it is subtle. Its romance is not over dramatic or cheesy. The couple has real problems and has to work through them in a believable and difficult way. Secondly, the writing is gorgeous. Sharon Shinn has a gift for words. Thirdly, the world building is so enjoyable. I didn't find the religious themes too naus ...more
LPJ
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
A thoroughly engaging fantasy, but a less than satisfying romance. This world of angels, humans and oracles drew me in totally. But the characters themselves were so abrasive they were difficult to connect with. Also, not enough of the world is explained. What powers do the angels have beyond having their prayers for weather heard? Are they immortal? If so, how do these angel/human pairings end?

Both the hero and heroine were flawed, too flawed in my opinion. Gabriel was arrogant and Rachel was
  • The Silver Metal Lover (Silver Metal Lover, #1)
  • Heroes at Risk (Hero, #4)
  • Jaran (Jaran, #1)
  • Singer from the Sea
  • A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2)
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • Illusion
  • An Accidental Goddess
  • To Weave a Web of Magic (Samaria Chronological Order #3.5)
  • The Fire Lord's Lover (The Elven Lords, #1)
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • The Laurentine Spy
  • Transformation (Rai-Kirah, #1)
  • The Native Star (Veneficas Americana, #1)
  • Heir to Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters, #4)
I’ve been writing stories and poems since I was eight years old. My first poem was about Halloween: "What is tonight? What is tonight?/Try to guess and you’ll guess right." Perhaps this inauspicious beginning explains why it took me till I was in my thirties to sell a novel. It occurred to me early on that it might take some time and a lot of tries before I was able to publish any of my creative w ...more

Samaria Published Order (5 books)
  • Jovah's Angel (Samaria, #2)
  • The Alleluia Files (Samaria, #3)
  • Angelica (Samaria, #4)
  • Angel-Seeker (Samaria, #5)
“Are you asking me if there is a god?' he said, still in that soft voice. 'All I can say is, I believe there is. I feel him when I sing. He has responded to my prayers countless times. He guides my actions and he dwells in my heart. I know he is there.” 42 likes
“Everybody's afraid of love, because love is what hurts the most.” 38 likes