Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > What else are you reading? (August)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know what other SF&F books you're reading! It's a fun way to pick up recommendations and discover new authors and titles.

message 2: by Jon (last edited Aug 01, 2009 02:06PM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I'm about half finished with The Martian Chronicles and not really enjoying it. In fact, I'm taking a break today to start Bright of the Sky, which I've been wanting to read for a couple of months. I'm also listening to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets while driving around in my car.

As for the rest of August, it's pretty busy: http://www.goodreads.com/event/show/4...

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3103 comments Mod
Just finished The Warlords of Nin by Stephen R. Lawhead, book 2 of the Dragon King trilogy. This was better written than the first book in the trilogy, still not very well developed but an OK read.

Now starting the 2 August BOTMs.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I'm reading The House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier right now. I'll probably start Eve of Chaos when we go to the beach tomorrow. I'll be picking up The Curse of the Mistwraith again next week. (I had to pause because it's too dense for summer reading.)

message 5: by William (new)

William (williamjm) I'm currently reading The Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold. It started off a bit slowly but I'm about half way through now and it has become quite an interesting and entertaining novel.

With all the discussion of her Vorkoskigan series recently, I'm noticing a few similarities in her fantasy works as well in the characterisation and some of the themes (such as people being forced to hide the truth about past deeds).

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I'm about to read two books by Mark L. Van Name that precede Overthrowing Heaven, which I read in May. I loved the character Jon Moore and wanted to go back to the beginning of the series: One Jump Ahead and Slanted Jack. I'm also reading more Elizabeth Bear. Currently Undertow, and I'd like to get back to the Jenny Casey novels as well. Finally, I just picked up the first installment of the second James Morrow/Mercedes Lackey trilogy, The Phoenix Unchained, so far, so good.

message 7: by Staci (new)

Staci | 47 comments I haven't gotten much reading done this summer. I moved at the end of June and all my books are still packed up in boxes. Before the move, I was able to finish Shards of Honour. I really enjoyed this and will be moving on to Barrayar once I finish Dying Inside which should be today. I also just started listening to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I've also got a few non genre books going at the moment as well.

message 8: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Sisimka wrote: "I just picked up the first installment of the second James Morrow/Mercedes Lackey trilogy, The Phoenix Unchained, so far, so good. "

I picked that up recently, too, but am waiting for the trilogy to be completed before diving in...

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I gave up on The House on the Strand. I just don't think it's the right time for me to be reading it. I picked up a bunch of books at the library, including Survivor, the missing book in Octavia Butler's Patternist series. I had read the omnibus, Seed to Harvest, after we read Wild Seed a while back. Butler never allowed Survivor to be re-published because she hated it.

message 10: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I've been in a terrible, health-induced reading slump for the last several months, but I've managed to read a few books lately and I'm currently rereading Anne Bishop's The Invisible Ring. I'm thoroughly enjoying, which is lovely. I have The Stars Blue Yonder by Sandra McDonald waiting for me at the library, so I guess that will be up next.

message 11: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 172 comments Mostly, I'm reading The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper, which is great, now that I've gotten into it.

Also started reading Scardown by Elizabeth Bear out loud to my husband before going to sleep. But I'm still not convinced it's a great read-aloud book (too much "thought" interspersed among the narrative and the dialogue.

Otherwise, I'll finish listening to the podcast novel Murder at Avedon Hill by P.G. Holyfied today. Really great production and fun story with an amazing back story.

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Kerry wrote: I'm currently rereading Anne Bishop's The Invisible Ring..."

I read this a few years ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. I remember wondering what her other stuff was like. Have you read much else by Anne Bishop?

message 13: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I have 3 books by Anne Bishop on my shelf, but I haven't read any of them. They are The Pillars of the World, Shadows and Light (Tir Alainn, #2), and The House of Gaian. I believe they are a trilogy.

message 14: by Deedee (last edited Aug 03, 2009 04:16PM) (new)

Deedee | 136 comments Hello -- I've been reading short story collections, all good ones, namely:

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fifth Annual Collection (1988) edited by Gardner Dozois -- all of his Annual Collections are excellent, including this one, Gardner Dozois really knows how to pick the good stories

Steampunk (2008) edited by Ann VanderMeer (Editor), Jeff VanderMeer (Editor) -- steampunk stories combine high-tech fantasy with Victorian era surroundings -- some stories are really good, others are clunkers, but an interesting collection nonetheless

We Never Talk About My Brother (2009) by Peter S. Beagle -- a collection of 9 stories and 1 poem, all by Beagle, a mellow, "literary" fantasy collection, I like them all!!!

Stories of Your Life and Others (2002) by Ted S. Chiang -- a collection of his stories, most of which had either won or were nominated for Nebula, Hugo, Sidewise and other awards. He has a unique way of telling a story that I like, so I've enjoyed this collection.

message 15: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments Sisimka, Anne Bishop is one of my favourite authors. While The Invisible Ring is very good, her Black Jewels trilogy - Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows and Queen of the Darkness - blow it away. I've enjoyed everything of hers I've read, although I haven't yet read the latest Black Jewels book (The Shadow Queen) or the Tir Alainn books Kathi mentions above. I have the first on my TBR pile and hope to get to it one day.

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Lots of good recommendations here! (I'm going to look into Anne Bishop). Deedee, Jeff and Ann VanderMeer edited another collection you might like called Fast Ships, Black Sails. I loved it!

message 18: by Anomander (last edited Aug 04, 2009 08:40AM) (new)

Anomander | 35 comments I've started reading Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene, more of a science book than SF.
Also presently reading Decision at Thunder Rift which so far is enjoyable light military SF.

message 19: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I've been in the mood for old-fashioned SF lately, so I picked up David Falkayn Star Trader, a collection of short stories and 2 novels set in the Polesotechnic League universe by Poul Anderson. It's a fun read so far.

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I just started Benighted.

message 21: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments A Short History of Women A Novel is the book I am just starting. So far, not so interesting, but I am only a few pages in, so I will give it some time. It did get pretty good reviews...

message 22: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments I just started Blood and Iron byElizabeth Bear. I really liked the Jenny Casey books; this is very different, very much a fantasy, but fun so far (very early).

message 23: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 126 comments I just finished the LeGuin The Left Hand of Darkness last week, and I have two others by her on my shelf to read, not sure which I'll pick up next: Changing Planes or A Fisherman of the Inland Sea Stories.

Meanwhile, I've been reading the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig, I'm on the 4th book and enjoying them, one more to go!

message 24: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I finished David Falkayn Star Trader by Poul Anderson --- solid, old-fashioned SF.

I started Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente last night. It's so good that I'm trying to force myself to slow down and savor it. Absolutely gorgeous.

message 25: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I just finished Sabriel by Garth Nix. I highly recommend it. I'm currently reading some non-genre books, A Mercy by Toni Morrison and the non-fiction Rethinking Thin The New Science of Weight Loss--and the Myths and Realities of Dieting. I'm also reading the third book in S.J. Day's Marked trilogy, Eve of Chaos. It's pure literary crack. I mean, urban fantasy.

message 26: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments Sandi let me know on A Mercy. I have it in my stack but have been putting it off. Morrison sometimes is a bit complicated. I am still on some painmeds right now and want to know if it might get lost in the muddle.

Currently reading and very disapointed in Dexter in the Dark. I think its my last in this series

message 27: by Ken (last edited Aug 08, 2009 06:37PM) (new)

message 28: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments Ahhhh another book I had forgotten. Thanks Ken

message 29: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Renee wrote: "Sandi let me know on A Mercy. I have it in my stack but have been putting it off. Morrison sometimes is a bit complicated. I am still on some painmeds right now and want to know if it might get los..."

I'm about halfway through. It's definitely a complicated read. I wouldn't try reading it while on pain meds.

message 30: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments Thanks so much I will move it to the bottom of Mount TBR

message 31: by Camille (new)

Camille (camiller) | 15 comments Starting "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett. It's shameful, I've owned it for what, two years now?

message 32: by Camille (new)

Camille (camiller) | 15 comments Ron wrote: "I just started Blood and Iron byElizabeth Bear. I really liked the Jenny Casey books; this is very different, very much a fantasy, but fun so far (very early)."

I love that cycle. I read it out of order though (i.e. chronological, instead of publication-al), starting with "Ink and Steel," which I think changes the perspective a little bit! :-)

message 33: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments Ohhhh I love Making Money. (lol both the book by pratchett and the act of making money).

I read and had read to me Pratchett during each course of the chemo.His humor just somehow made it easier for me. LOL I think I got my niece hooked on him also. She would read to me freuquently when I was too weak to hold books. It got to the point where she would say wouldnt you like another Pratchett :)

message 34: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Renee wrote: "Ahhhh another book I had forgotten. Thanks Ken"

Well I ended up changing my mind. After my rather serious Moon book i realised I wanted something lighter and Kushiel's Justice was just to heavy for me

message 35: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments LOL I am still going back to that series. I had started it last year and well life caused me to forget many things I had started

message 36: by Kerry (last edited Aug 10, 2009 01:39AM) (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I finally finished The Invisible Ring and have started The Stars Blue Yonder by Sandra McDonald. I'm enjoying it so far; I just wish my memory was better and I could remember more details of the previous books.

message 37: by Anomander (new)

Anomander | 35 comments I am reading novels from the third story arc of the Gaunt's Ghosts series. An excellent set of military SF novels set in Warhammer 40000 universe written by Dan Abnett who also happens to be the best author of Warhammer 40K novels out there :)

message 38: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 172 comments Carolyn wrote: "... I have two others by her on my shelf to read, not sure which I'll pick up next: Changing Planes or A Fisherman of the Inland Sea Stories."

I'd recommend A Fisherman of the INland SEa Stories!

message 39: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 172 comments Camille wrote: "Starting "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett. It's shameful, I've owned it for what, two years now?
"

LOL, Camille! I have un-read books that have been on my shelves for upwards of 10 years. They've made it through up to 6 moves now so someday I'll get to them! :-)

message 40: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Diane wrote: "Camille wrote: "Starting "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett. It's shameful, I've owned it for what, two years now?
"

LOL, Camille! I have un-read books that have been on my shelves for upwards of ..."

I would hate to count the unread books on my shelves--more than half, I'm sure! I tend to buy things in bulk, so I bought all the Terry Pratchett books after I read one and loved it (and after reading so many recommendations for his work here and elsewhere), but I haven't read a lot of them. I'm going through them in the order they were written, although I jumped ahead and read Going Postal when it was BOTM here a while back. And I only read them occasionally, interspersed with other things.

message 41: by Kelly (last edited Aug 13, 2009 08:37AM) (new)

Kelly (sisimka) After reading today's digest I feel compelled to add this comment: Can you all stop reading such interesting books and reviewing them so well??? :)

Just the mere sight of my TBR shelf (which holds an estimated 180 books) makes me dizzy and now I have my Goodreads wishlist to think about.

I also have a wishlist on Amazon that holds something like 40 titles and my Kindle has about 25 unread books on it. I'm drowning!

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Sisimka wrote: "After reading today's digest I feel compelled to add this comment: Can you all stop reading such interesting books and reviewing them so well??? :)

Just the mere sight of my TBR shelf (which ho..."

I agree heartily! My own to-read pile is over 7' long. Stop already!!!
;-)

message 43: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I finished Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente a few days ago. It was excellent - simply gorgeous prose, and a very unique concept. Recommended!

Then I tore through The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold in less than a day. That was a re-read for the upcoming discussion - and it was just as good as I remembered.

Now I'm just starting out on To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts. The story's already grabbed me, 50 pages in - I'm eager to read more soon.

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Palimpsest was great.

message 45: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) Tonight I'm starting on James Todd Cochrane's The Hourglass of Souls the sequel to Max and the Gatekeeper which I loved. I'm also reading Ravenshade A Tale of Alterra, The World that Is by C.S. Marks, the third and final book in her Elfhunter A Tale Of Alterra, The World That Is trilogy.

message 46: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Stefan wrote: "I finished Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente a few days ago. It was excellent - simply gorgeous prose, and a very unique concept. Recommended!

I liked your review of "Palimpsest" and will add it to the to-be-found-and-read-immediately list, which if it were ever written down would end the recession in the paper industry at least. As Sisimka says, will you all just stop already!

message 47: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Maybe, we should just read faster.

I just started The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein.

BTW, if anyone likes werewolf stories and social commentary, check out Benighted

message 48: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Chris wrote: "Maybe, we should just read faster."

I already read too fast and therefore miss and/or don't recall details (and sometimes critical information), so this is one suggestion I have to ignore. :-)

message 49: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I honestly don't think I could read any faster and not miss too much detail. When I'm really focused to I read quite fast and can get through 2, 3 or even 4 books in one week. It's *never* enough.

message 50: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I just started All the Windwracked Stars by Elizabeth Bear. If the rest of the book is as good as the first chapter, it's going to get five stars.

« previous 1 3