Harlequin Books discussion

What are you reading? > Monthly Color Read Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 2144 comments Mod
You can make this one as easy or as hard as like to go with your schedule. I will assign a color for each month. You pick whatever shade of that color and find books with titles to spell it out. For example, if the color is white, you could pick anything off from the following chart:

If you have a busy month SNOW, would be your word. If you're going on vacation and you know you'll be reading extra that month, ALABASTER would be good. If you don't like any of the shade name choices from the chart I'll provide for each month, share where you got your shade name from and go for it!

January- White
February- Red
March- Green
April- Yellow
May- Orange
June- Pink
July- Blue
August- Lime
September- Purple
October-Black
November- Brown
December- Favorite color redo!

message 4: by Harlequin Books (last edited Jan 29, 2017 01:30PM) (new)

Since it was such late notice for January- White, I definitely did not have any of the words on the list so I looked over my books read this month and found a word I could relate to white. CAT. I had a white cat, Max, when I was a kid. He was the coolest cat. He had 9 toes on one paw and 7 on the other. He was a stray that we took in. He died of feline leukaemia.

C- Compromising the Duke's Daughter by Mary Brendan
A- A Bravo for Christmas by Christine Rimmer
T- The Tycoon's Reluctant Cinderella by Therese Beharrie

Compromising the Duke's Daughter by Mary Brendan A Bravo for Christmas (The Bravos of Justice Creek) by Christine Rimmer The Tycoon's Reluctant Cinderella by Therese Beharrie

message 5: by Cindy (last edited Feb 12, 2017 02:27PM) (new)

Cindy (cynx) | 5 comments ♦February Color Read♦
Duration: 2.1.2017 - 2.28.2017
•Merlot ~ 2/6•

descriptionM: More to Give by Terri Osburn 2.9.17 ♥♥♥♥
descriptionE:
descriptionR:
descriptionL:
descriptionO:
descriptionT: The Mighty Quinns: Thom by Kate Hoffmann 2.12.17 ♥♥♥♥

message 6: by Harlequin Books (last edited Mar 08, 2017 01:47PM) (new)

February Color Read

After looking over my monthly book order, I believe I'll have the best chance to finish the word BRICK. I'll have to look for a couple of letters in my TBR bookcase which is a very good thing. I have to make room for more!

B-
R- Rodeo Rancher by Mary Sullivan
I-
C- A Countess for Christmas by Christy McKellen
K-
Rodeo Rancher (Rodeo, Montana, #2) by Mary Sullivan A Countess for Christmas (Maids Under the Mistletoe #1) by Christy McKellen

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cynx) | 5 comments I didn't do too well in February, but I'm going to try again for March. =)

♦March Color Read♦
Duration: 3.1.2017 - 3.31.2017
•Shamrock ~ 0/8•

descriptionS:
descriptionH:
descriptionA:
descriptionM:
descriptionR:
descriptionO:
descriptionC: Completely Yours by Erin Nicholas
descriptionK:

message 9: by Harlequin Books (last edited Apr 09, 2017 10:01AM) (new)

I didn't do any better in February! Here's hoping March has more reading time.

I waited until today to make my monthly book order so if my books arrive to late I will use the smaller word, BUSH, which is a green word that works well for my order. If it comes soon, I'll do...

March Color Read
Duration: 3.1.2017 - 3.31.2017
Shamrock ~ 0/8

S- Stranded with the Secret Billionaire by Marion Lennox
H- His Last Defense by Karen Rock
A- After the Dark by Cynthia Eden
M- Meant to Be Mine by Marie Ferrarella
R- The Road to Love: Love by Degree/The Rain Sparrow by Debbie Macomber and Linda Goodnight
O- The Only One for Me by Bridget Anderson
C- A Comfortable Wife by Stephanie Laurens
K- Kissed by a Rancher by Sara Orwig Yay! This one has been on my TBR for a while. Really enjoyed it.
Stranded with the Secret Billionaire by Marion Lennox His Last Defense by Karen Rock After the Dark (Killer Instinct, #1) by Cynthia Eden Meant to Be Mine by Marie Ferrarella The Road to Love Love by Degree/The Rain Sparrow by Debbie Macomber The Only One for Me by Bridget Anderson A Comfortable Wife by Stephanie Laurens Kissed by a Rancher (Lone Star Legends #4) by Sara Orwig

message 10: by Harlequin Books (new)

message 11: by Harlequin Books (last edited Jun 07, 2017 08:33AM) (new)

Still trying to decide on my April word. Any others trying one?

edit: I've finally decided on my April word, Mustard.

M- Meant to Be Mine by Marie Ferrarella
U- Up in Flames by Kira Sinclair
S- A Song for Rory by Cerella Sechrist
T- Taming the Hunter by Michele Hauf
A- A Warriner to Protect Her by Virginia Heath
R- The Rancher's Cinderella Bride by Sara Orwig
D- The Duke's Unexpected Bride by Lara Temple
Up in Flames by Kira Sinclair Meant to Be Mine by Marie Ferrarella A Song for Rory by Cerella Sechrist Taming the Hunter (The Decadent Dames #1) by Michele Hauf A Warriner to Protect Her (Wild Warriners #1) by Virginia Heath The Rancher's Cinderella Bride by Sara Orwig The Duke's Unexpected Bride by Lara Temple

message 12: by Harlequin Books (new)

message 13: by Loz (last edited May 12, 2017 04:25AM) (new)

Loz | 2 comments I have so many unread Harlequins, so I'm joining in this month. Going with the word FALL.

Completed 1/4

F - Final Score by Nancy Warren (11.05.17) 4★
A - About Last Night... by Stephanie Bond (12.05.17) 3★
L - Larenzo's Christmas Baby by Kate Hewitt
L - Lawman Protection by Cindi Myers

Final Score (Last Bachelor Standing #3) by Nancy Warren About Last Night... by Stephanie Bond Larenzo's Christmas Baby by Kate Hewitt Lawman Protection (The Ranger Brigade #2) by Cindi Myers

message 14: by Harlequin Books (new)

Hey Loz,

:) I love hearing that the challenge helped you tackle some of your TBRs. You did pick a word from the May list but I'm happy to count it as an April word and you can pick a second word next month. Or, if you'd like, you can take until the end of May to complete your selections. ~ Kim

message 15: by Loz (new)

Loz | 2 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Hey Loz,

:) I love hearing that the challenge helped you tackle some of your TBRs. You did pick a word from the May list but I'm happy to count it as an April word and you can pick a second word ..."

Hi Kim..
I haven't started any of them yet, just getting in early and making my to-read list for May, hope that's ok?

message 16: by Harlequin Books (new)

Yes, totally fine!

Would anyone like me to put June's list or any other month?

message 18: by Harlequin Books (new)

Sorry, I'm a little late. Hopefully, next week will get back to normal once they are done replacing my roof.

message 19: by Harlequin Books (new)

Well, June was a bust for me. I didn't get much reading done. Hopefully, July will be better.

message 20: by Harlequin Books (new)

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 11 comments This sounds like a lot of fun. I will have to try it for July

message 22: by Harlequin Books (new)

Good luck!

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 11 comments Well it's the last week of July and I am not going to complete this month's color. What are August's?

message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Rohner | 13 comments I have "Blackthorne's Bride by Joan Johnston. (sapphire)

message 25: by Pam (new)

Pam | 163 comments I also realised it was the last week in July. so I have looked at the titles I read in July and colors to see what I could spell. I have a week to fill in what letter I do not have.

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Rohner | 13 comments I took honorable mention in Hollywood book festival 2017 in general fiction category for "Shari's Secret"
Patricia Striar Rohner

message 27: by Harlequin Books (last edited Jul 25, 2017 10:29AM) (new)

July-Shades of Blue
Ok, I'm resorting to the back-up plan. "If you don't like any of the shade name choices from the chart I'll provide for each month, share where you got your shade name from and go for it!

Here's the story behind my blue word which makes it fit the color. Growing up I shared a bedroom with my older sister. When she turned 13, my dad offered to remodel our bedroom. All my sister said was she wanted a blue light and light colored walls. She was thinking a blue lightbulb and using other items in the shade of blue to accent the room. Instead, my dad surprised us with blue carpet, blue/white wall panelling and a huge BLUE ceiling light. Our room GLOWED blue from that point on. He was so proud of the job he did that neither of us had the heart to tell him he got it all wrong. To this day, when I pass the old house, I can see that blue light shining out on to the street from the old room. I did enjoy the blue rug since it made it easy to pretend I was on a boat sailing the 7 seas. I used my sister's huge Snoopy stuffed animal as my boat. LOL

R-
U-
G-

message 28: by Harlequin Books (new)

August

message 29: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Rohner | 13 comments oh that is a good story
I grew up with pink clouds on the ceiling and so I guess I am a person who likes pink in all shades, especially the pink of pretty baby pink clouds overhead.

message 30: by Harlequin Books (new)

I would have loved pink clouds. My husband is an artist and he routinely painted new murals as our daughter grew. I think my favorite was one he did for our niece though. It was a tea party picnic scene with a teddy bear leaning against a tree trunk in the corner of the room.

Speaking of my daughter, she had one school year in which one of her classmates lived in my old house and had my bedroom. They thought the huge blue ceiling light was cool but they took down the blue panelling. They were very happy to discover the phone jack which my dad "forgot" to cut a hole for. My sister was not happy when he refused to take down the panelling so she could get her own phone. The good old days before cell phones. LOL

message 31: by Pam (new)

Pam | 163 comments question about August. the color is lime. so are we.talking the lighter spectrum of green? because Lime is shade of green.. Also I was thinking color of metals might work for Dec. example Silver gold etc.

message 32: by Harlequin Books (new)

Pam wrote: "question about August. the color is lime. so are we.talking the lighter spectrum of green? because Lime is shade of green.. Also I was thinking color of metals might work for Dec. example Silver go..."

Yes, when I was thinking of Lime it was a lighter shade of green. I'd be happy to come up with a Color of Metal list for December for anyone who would like to do that instead of picking their favorite color. :)

message 33: by Pam (last edited Jul 28, 2017 07:39PM) (new)

Pam | 163 comments OK Here are my three colors of blue.
THIS ONE IS NOT ON LIST
S-SALE OR RETURN BRIDE BY SARA MORGAN 7/2
L-LOVE AT FIRST DATE BY SUSAN TATLER 7/21
A-THE ALPHA MALE BY MARY FISHER 7/17
T-TEXAS GUN SMOKE BY JOANNA WAYNE 7/14
E-EVAN BY DIANA PALMER 7/26

C- CODY'S LAST STAND BY KATHY CLARK 7/4
O- ONCE UPON A GHOST BY DAY LE CLAIRE 7/20
B- THE BRIDE LOTTERY BY KRISTEN HOLT 7/9
A- ANTONIDES FORBIDDEN BRIDE BY ANNE McCALLISTER 7/14
L- THE LONER BY LASS SMALL 7/18
T- THE TEXAN'S CONTESTED CLAIM BY PEGGIE MORELAND 7/8

C- CONNEL BY DIANA PALMER 7/25
O - OCCUPATION: CASANOVA 7/12
R - RAVELLI'S DEFIANT BRIDE 7/26
N - NOTHING BUT TROUBLE BY LISA MODELLO 7/27
F - FUGITIVE BRIDE BY MIRANDA LESS 7/2
L - LUCKY IN LOVE BY BEVERLY BARTON 7/28
O- ONE CHANCE IN LOVE BY CAROL MORTIMER 7/20
W- THE WEREWOLF IN MANHATTAN BY VICKI LEWIS THOMPSON 7/11
E-THE ESCAPE BY KRISTEN OSBURNE 7/1
R- THE RAVEN ASSIGNMENT BY KASEY MICHAELS 7/24

message 34: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 2 comments Pam wrote: "OK Here are my three colors of blue.
THIS ONE IS NOT ON LIST
S-SALE OR RETURN BRIDE BY SARA MORGAN 7/2
L-LOVE AT FIRST DATE BY SUSAN TATLER 7/21
A-THE ALPHA MALE BY MARY FISHER 7/17
T-TEXAS GUN S..."

That's a lot of books! I just joined this club and have been reading a little slower this month.

message 35: by Harlequin Books (new)

Wow Pam! You finished 3 blues. Way to read!

message 36: by Pam (new)

Pam | 163 comments I read all summer like crazy. It is my little staycation. I am a Teacher once school starts again I read at a slower rate. My child is grown and I chose not to work summer just to relax. Had a stresssful year health wise so.I need a GOOD readful STAYCATION😁

message 37: by Chelsea (last edited Jul 29, 2017 09:59PM) (new)

Chelsea (crystal_dark) | 2 comments Pam wrote: "I read all summer like crazy. It is my little staycation. I am a Teacher once school starts again I read at a slower rate. My child is grown and I chose not to work summer just to relax. Had a stressful year health wise so I need a GOOD readful STAYCATION😁 ..."

I am sorry you had a stressful year but at least you can take a nice break now and get some reading done. Taking a reading staycation is a great vacation since you can travel all over the world to different times, and different worlds through literature.

message 38: by Harlequin Books (new)

Pam wrote: "I read all summer like crazy. It is my little staycation. I am a Teacher once school starts again I read at a slower rate. My child is grown and I chose not to work summer just to relax. Had a stre..."

I hope your health issues are better and I love a good staycation! "crossing fingers" that I have good words for LIME to fit your collection of books. If not, remember you can tell us a story to fit the name of your lime-ish color.

message 39: by Harlequin Books (new)

Chelsea, welcome to the group! Join in anywhere you feel comfortable.

message 40: by Pam (last edited Aug 06, 2017 03:36PM) (new)

Pam | 163 comments I am going to kick us off the Month with a color and a story. I decided to play from the beginning this month and pick a color to work from because it helps clear the shelf, of books that have been there a little while. Last month I read a bunch of books then the last week made them word colors. (filled in the books the last week)
My color is not on the list but it is a shade of Lime Green. The color is CHARTREUSE.
In 1979, (telling my age) my family returned to the USA from being overseas for about 10 years. (My father was in the Army). I was fond of listening to Casey Kasem Top 40 hits as I did my Sat. chores. I would memorize all the words to all the top songs an sing them at the top of my lungs(much to the distress of my family I cannot sing!)
Now in 1979 one of the new songs was the "RAPPER'S DELIGHT" by The Sugarhill Gang. Meeting new friends is a hard transition for anyone and I was no different. One day on the bus I was humming the Rapper's Delight and this girl sat next to me and said we all like that song too. Especially that part the goes
"I got a Lincoln Continental and a Chartreuse Cadillac." I said me too. The girl said I don't even know what Chartreuse is but any Cadillac is good to me. We laughed and I told her it was like a Lime Green. She thought I was real smart and cool because I knew that. The funny thing about that was, I had only just asked my Father what color Chartreuse was and his standard response was look it up the dictionary. It is right there. (very proud we had books in our house for us to learn from). Begrudgingly I went to look it up. This was a vary large two volume Webster's dictionary. I always thought belonged in an old library and was convinced that was were he had gotten it. The dictionary definition was a hue of Green. When I went back to my father to tell him what it meant (another standard for us). He laughed because I really could not see the color was it light or dark. He said a bright Lime Green like the Limes in Panama( we had just left there). I also used that example to explain the color and got a bunch of new friends that day because they were fascinated about were I had lived. Now the Irony of the whole thing. Those were not the words to the song the are "a Lincoln Continental and a Sunroof Cadillac". We did not discover that for months later but always sung it with Chartreuse Cadillac because in Alabama (where I lived at the time) Chartreuse Cadillac's are popular. And that song the "Rapper's Delight" became the first RAP song to make it and started a new genre of music so to speak.

message 41: by Pam (new)

Pam | 163 comments C - CONTRACT BRIDE BY DEBRA WEBB 8/2
H - HE'S STILL THE ONE BY CHERYL KUCHNER 8/5
A - ABBY BY VERNA CLAY 8/1
R
T
R
E
U
S
E

message 42: by Harlequin Books (new)

Love it! Chartreuse is definitely a shade of lime green and it is scary how close some of your memories are to mine. I loved Casey Kasem and always did my chores while listening to them. We also had a 2-edition dictionary but ours was part of an encyclopedia set that my dad was very proud of owning. And, I never got song lyrics correct but didn't care one whit. I sang them as I wanted. LOL

message 43: by Pam (last edited Aug 17, 2017 02:03PM) (new)

Pam | 163 comments Oh ours came from an Encyclopedia set too I just thought he took them all from an old library haha Also back in the day we could not look up the right lyrics. I used to get this magazine call SONG HITS and it had words to songs in it. I always got them wrong too.

message 44: by Harlequin Books (new)

I remember replaying parts over and over trying to figure out the words. Practically wore the needle away on the record player. :D

message 45: by Pam (new)

Pam | 163 comments C - CONTRACT BRIDE BY DEBRA WEBB 8/2
H - HE'S STILL THE ONE BY CHERYL KUCHNER 8/5
A - ABBY BY VERNA CLAY 8/1
R - RUMOR HAS IT BY MAUREEN CHILD
T - TEXAS BLUE NORTHER BY LASS SMALL
R - REUNITED BY KATE HOFFMAN
E - EMOTIONAL RESCUE BY BEN GREENMAN
U - UNDERCOVERING THE CORRETTIS BY CAROL MARINELLI
S - SHEIK AND THE CHRISTMAS BRIDE BY SUSAN MALLERY
E - ENCHANTED BY NORA ROBERTS

message 46: by Harlequin Books (new)

message 47: by Harlequin Books (new)

message 49: by Harlequin Books (new)

message 50: by Harlequin Books (new)

Or, pick your favorite color from the year!

« previous 1