Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 Weekly checkins > Week 4: 1/20-1/26

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Good morning, fellow readers! I hope your Thursday finds you in happy spirits. I'm home with a sick daughter (strep - blech!) and a sick husband and trying to work from home.

I finally got my reading groove back and have finished some books for the challenge. I read Etiquette & Espionage for "a steampunk novel." I don't know if it was the story or the genre but this just wasn't for me. Oh well, I tried something new and no harm, right? I also read When Breath Becomes Air, which pains me to say only fits in "a difficult subject" from the Advanced List. I swore I was not committing to the advanced challenge and that lasted three weeks. Oddly, most of the books I am currently interested in would fit the Advanced better than the main challenge.

That brings me to 3/40 or 4/52.

Monthly challenge update
As January comes to a close, we've got our eyes on February's monthly challenge. The prompt is "written by a person of color." We've selected The Underground Railroad by a pretty big margin to be our group read. I hope to see a lot of activity in that discussion thread. Remember you can also read a book of your own choosing to fulfill the prompt for the monthly challenge. As always, participation is optional. (I still have 21 people ahead of me for a library copy so I'll probably buy a copy this week as I've chosen this as my IRL book club's February pick too.)

Sara has opened up the nomination thread for the March group read: "about an interesting woman." Be sure to check that out. And please insert the book through the add book tool on the desktop version of the site. When you do that, Goodreads tabulates all of the books and it saves Sara and I from having to create Excel spreadsheets. #forreals

Question of the Week: This was inspired by a conversation in another thread ... Do you have a Little Free Library near you? If so, have you used it?

I desperately want my own Little Free Library but no success in persuading my husband to build one for me. My girlfriends caution that since our public library is around the corner from my house and we don't have sidewalks in my subdivision, a LFL might not be the best move for me. A friend/fellow reader has her own LFL, a gift from her husband. It's been fun watching her choose books for it.

That's all for me now. Here's hoping today is a good day for all of us! Happy reading.

message 2: by Erica (last edited Jan 26, 2017 05:48AM) (new)

Erica | 9 comments Good morning from rainy, rainy New Jersey!

This week I finished A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (a book becoming a movie in 2017) and You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero (a book with career advice), putting me at 4/52 for the challenge. I'm not normally one for self help/motivation books, but I really liked this one!

I'm still working on A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. This book has been pulling on my heart strings like crazy, so I only get the chance to sit down and read it when I know that I have an hour or two free, because it's so hard to put this one down!

QOTW: Unfortunately, there isn't one around me. I would love to start one. At home, I've been trying to pass along all the books I don't plan on rereading, but since I've been buying them and not getting rid of them since I was 13, this is quite the task. A LFL would be perfect to pass them on to someone who wants them! However, I also live on a busy road with no sidewalks, so my house just probably isn't the place for it!

There is an actual library nearby at college, but because I'm away and not a resident of the area, they make it difficult to check out books. However, I invested in a Kindle this week, so I can save money on books (by renting ebooks from my library at home) and take them to class and work with me!

Does anyone have Kindle Unlimited? Do you think that it's worth it?

message 3: by Mie (last edited Jan 26, 2017 05:54AM) (new)

Mie | 28 comments Hi all :-)
Sorry to read about your daughter, Juanita. Hope, she gets well soon!

I didn't finish any books for this challenge last week, so I am happy to be able to tick off 2 this time.
I read Brisingr for a mythical creature and Calendar Girl: Volume Three for career advice - not my own, I might add *LOL* I am now on 8/40 (52)

QOTW: Haven't heard about it before, but it sounds like a cool thing! Living in a bigger city there are several public libraries nearby, so I haven't missed it in my area...

Antonia E Iacampo | 15 comments Hi All! I've been pretty remiss about posting for this challenge, but since I didn't actually finish anything until now, so I guess it was not a great loss.

This week I read (or finished, a couple of these I've been working on for a little while) the following:
21. A book told from a non-human perspective: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) - OMG, I LOVED THIS!
23. A book with a red spine: Dracula vs. Hitler - This was so-so. Could have fit in other categories, but since most of my reading is kindle and I don't know the color of the spine decided to get this one out of the way.
30. A book with pictures: Library of Souls - I did enjoy this, although I thought the ending was a little too perfect
14. A book involving travel: Carve the Mark -Nice easy read, but with some deep moments. Looking forward to the rest of the series
17. A book involving a mythical creature: Aerie - worthy sequel to Magonia. Nice to see main characters with flaws, and not just ones that turn out to be strengths, lol.

So I'm at 5/52. Not bad for January. :)

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (edugosh) | 14 comments I just finished Of Fire and Stars and I can't fit it in my challenge but it was in the OwlCrate last month. I'm starting The Glass Castle which is my book about a difficult topic. See: addiction, poverty, etc. I'm at 4/52 and plugging away.

Question of the Week: This was inspired by a conversation in another thread ... Do you have a Little Free Library near you? If so, have you used it?

We have a LFL near our house-- actually, I think there are at least 3 nearby including one at my child's school. We use it occasionally-- go for a family walk with a book and exchange at the LFL. We've found some good books in there. I'd love to put one in my yard but I'm afraid that my HOA won't allow it. I intend to take it before the board this year. We will see!

message 6: by Nadine (last edited Jan 26, 2017 06:27AM) (new)

Nadine Jones | 5570 comments Mod
Good morning from northern NY, where it is - once again - unseasonably warm and drizzly.

I finished three books for the Challenge this week, and two of them were completely unplanned, so my whole spreadsheet is all thrown off! I am now 11/52
March: Book One - "red spine" - excellent graphic novel / memoir from Congressman John Lewis.
Strangers on a Train - "involving travel" - this is the one book I had planned; I wasn't sure it would really involve travel, but I decided it did. This is the second book I've read by Highsmith, and I am such a fan. This is a perfect descent into madness. Now I need to watch the movie!
A Midsummer Night's Dream - "mentioned in another book" - my 8th grader is reading this for school, and I'd never read it so I got a copy from Gutenberg.

QOTW There is a LFL in a state park in our county (Green Lakes State Park). We were there this fall and stumbled upon it, my younger daughter took a book, but we ended up returning it before we left, because it felt like stealing. This is the only LFL I've ever seen.

Thegirlintheafternoon Good morning everyone!

I finished 5 books this week: 1 for this challenge (bringing me to 7/40), 3 for Book Riot's Read Harder (4/24), and 1 just for fun!

I re-read Northanger Abbey for "a book you've read before that's guaranteed to make you smile," Whatever Happened to Interracial Love? for Read Harder's "collection of stories by a woman," Not of Their Own Making for Read Harder's "book published by a micropress," Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit for Read Harder's "YA or middle grade book written by a LGBTQ+ author," and Live Alone and Like It: The Classic Guide for the Single Woman just because it sounded like it would be a fun read :)

I'm currently reading Mr Gwyn, The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, and listening to the audiobook of You'll Grow Out of It.

QOTW: There are a few near me, including one that I pass every day when I walk to and from work! I have grabbed books occasionally - I need to drop some off soon. They're such a lovely resource!

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 539 comments Hello, from Pittsburgh where it seems we go through all four seasons in one day.

I had a really good reading week - probably the best one I've had to date this year.

I finished up the Luxe series by completing Splendor. I feel very accomplished when I finish up an entire series. This does not count for Popsugar but it does count for my personal reading goals. It would count for Around the Year challenge if I decide to complete that.

Then I flew through Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World. I read it in just two sittings. I'm using this for Cat on the cover. I would have liked it to be more about the cat and less about her personal life but Dewey is a cat. How many stories could she possibly have to fill up an entire book? So she needed those filler sections.

Currently I'm 80% of the way through I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives. My plan is to use this for the book of letters. I'm just concerned that there is more story line than letters in this book. I'll have to use my own personal judgement if I feel comfortable leaving this in that category. That being said, I really am enjoying it and I selected to listen to the audio version.

I don't know what I'll pick up next! 2/52 complete!

QOTW No, I don't have a little free library. Just the regular library which I love.

message 9: by Allie (last edited Jan 26, 2017 06:30AM) (new)

Allie | 52 comments Hello from Kansas City (Kansas, not Missouri)!

I had a really busy weekend, so I couldn't get a whole lot of reading done, but I did manage to finish The Remains of the Day as my "story within a story". It was so engaging, and I really fell in love with Stephens' manner and attitude about everything. Very dignified.

I tried to start Another Piece of My Heart as "book that's been on your tbr for way too long" but I just couldn't do it. The chick lit genre just isn't for me it seems.

However, I started Finding Audrey as my "book about a person with a disability" - I assumed it counted because for most of the book her social and general anxiety disorder was so debilitating, she wasn't able to go to school or leave the house. I'm really liking it so far, although there are some happenings in the book at the moment that are a bit implausible for a person with that severe of anxiety to be able to do. Just from my experience. Other than that, it's a really cute read!

At the moment, I am 3/40. Not too shabby for the first month :)

QOTW: I do not have a LFL near me, but I do know of some in the surrounding areas; I've just never had the chance to go to them. I live in an area where there's not a lot of advocacy for reading, so I would love to be able to create one around my work or house. I'm a receptionist for the District Attorney's office in my county, and I've been considering putting books in the front waiting area instead of magazines. Ideas?

message 10: by Mike (last edited Jan 26, 2017 09:55AM) (new)

Mike | 443 comments A very productive week for me.

I finished Sleeping Giants for my First Book in a Series You Haven't Read Yet. Loved it, and am looking forward to the second book coming out later this year.

Just now finished Lock In for my Book Recommended By a Librarian. Also loved it!

Both of the above were recommended by a librarian in the Sci-Fi Recommendations folder. I couldn't decide between the two of them, so I stuck one in another prompt. Glad I did.

Started my Audiobook, In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox. Am currently on CD#3 out of 7. I've discovered that if get books on CDs to listen to while driving, I can knock out some prompts during time that I otherwise would not be able to read. Here's to efficiency!! I think I'll do that with my Reread prompts (Never fails to make me smile, Loved as a child) to at least make it a new experience.

5/40, 6/52

Just about to start The Underground Railroad for our February Group Read. I was able to get a print copy from the library while I wait my turn for the ebook.

QOTW: I do not, that I'm aware of.
Edit: Yes we do! There are about 6 in the city that I was not aware of before. Will have to check the closest one out.

message 11: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Bunton (haileybunton) | 20 comments Good Morning from Joplin, Missouri!

I think I have only remembered to check in every other week so far. Oops.

I am 5/52.

Last time I checked in, I was starting Eat, Pray, Love for my book involving travel prompt. Made it a couple chapters in before I realized I was never going to like the author. We have siginificant idealogical differences and I knew continuing to read was just going to leave me frustrated.

Since then, I read American Psycho for my unreliable narrator prompt. I still haven't decide if I like this one or not. I thought Christian Bale was brilliant in the movie, but they did edit a lot of the book out for obvious reasons. Some parts were just too brutal and I found my self skipping ahead because of that.

This week I finished reading The Hobbit for my mythical creature prompt. What an enjoyable story!

I'm still debating on which books to read in the next couple of weeks. We are leaving for Disney World on Feb 13th and I know once it gets closer I won't be able to focus on anything else! haha. :)

QOTW: I don't believe we have a LFL in our area. We do have a fantastic Public Library with a huge selection and is free to city residents. I will look into the LFL and see if it is in my area.

Side note... My husband took me to see La La Land last night. Have any of you watched it yet? Just curious what you thought? I don't think I loved it, but I can't stop thinking about it.

Double side note... Do any of you use Instagram to post your books in? Just looking for another way to connect with other readers! I find it as an easy tool for being accountable with my reading. My handle is @haileybunton if anyone other instagrammers out there want to connect! :)

message 12: by Sara (last edited Jan 26, 2017 07:08AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Happy Thursday! It's been a long week, and I am thankful that it is almost over. Hoping for some solid reading time this weekend!

I am at 8/52 (7/40 and 1/12)

I finished two books this week:

Paris: A City Revealed - book with pictures. This wasn't my original plan, but my daughter picked it out at the library last week. I sat down to just skim some of the pictures, and I ended up reading the whole thing.

The Samurai's Garden - book where the main character is a different ethnicity than you (Chinese). A beautiful story set in Japan in the early days of WWII. The end of the book got a little messy. I think she was trying to wrap things up too quickly, but the vast majority was pleasant and well-paced.

Still working on my big books. I noticed a few days ago that I am currently working on three books that are over 800 pages! I think I've lost my mind!

Voyager - almost done with this one. This is a reread for the book you've read before and it always makes you smile.
Anna Karenina - slow progress, but I am enjoying it. This is my 800+ page book
Washington: A Life - I haven't made much progress on this one. If I ever finish it, it will be the book that spans a person's life span. We've made it through the war, but he isn't even in office as president yet!
Salt to the Sea - started this one up on kindle. This is my book recommended by a librarian.

Question of the Week: I found a little lending library in a neighborhood that we pass through on our way home. We dropped off several books, but we have yet to see anything good show up. Honestly, I don't expect to see much change until the weather is warmer. It's next to a little neighborhood playground so hopefully there will be more activity in the spring and summer. I wish I could put one in my yard, but HOA restrictions...

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 21 comments I've finished two for this week - the Sheep Queen by Thomas Savage which I'm going to use for book about an interesting woman I think. This book was personally interesting to me because my daughter married into Tom Savage's family and it is quasi autobiographical for him. Lots of genealogical gems I can check with still living family member's. I also finished Ready Player One for a book being made into a movie. It's being made this year but not being released until next March so I''m counting it. I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. Simple plot but keeps moving and keeps your interest. An absolute ton of 80's pop culture references. So many I actually thought I must have missed the 80's but then I remembered- I started having children in 1982- Ha ha- that explains a lot.

I started Insane Clown President by Matt Taibbi for a book published in 2017. It just came out last week. Sometimes I just start giggling so hard I can't keep reading out loud which I am doing with my husband. I also started Emperor of All Maladies.

So that brings me up to 10 out of 52.

We have a bounty of LFL's in my neighborhood. At least 4 that I have found. One is down on the corner so I can check it when I walk the dog. I have both found things I had been wanting to read and things I didn't know I wanted to read until I saw it in there. I love them.

Antonia E Iacampo | 15 comments QOTW - Yes, we do have the little lending libraries around my town. The stations are mostly at the schools, so I just assumed they were connected to them, and therefore mostly children's books. I've never done anything with them before, since I tend to only use kindle books now (reducing clutter, plus easier to carry around 50 books at a time, lol). I may check out the one near my house....even if there isn't anything I'd like to read, maybe I can pass something on.

Kindle Unlimited - I was wondering the same thing. I've been considering it pretty much since it came out. So many of the books I want to read don't seem to be available when I want to read them, and I hate waiting, lol.

message 15: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 411 comments Bonjour from Montréal,

I am now at 4/40 (maybe 52, I'll see). This week I read:

- Austenland for the rpompt about a genre that I don't usually read. I liked it.

- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two for the multiple authors. Fun read also, but I am still not a fan of play.

- Fool's Quest: Book II of the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy: for the author with a pseudonym. I love Robin Hobb and that serie. I gave it 5 stars.

I am surprise by my progress. Usually I saw that people here log more than one book a week and I can't understand how they doing that.

QOTW: We have those LFL near me but only in the summer. I used it a lot last year.

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Good morning! Made some progress this week. My current status is 3/52.

An espionage thriller: The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer

A book by an author from a country you've never visited: Falling in Death and Love by Magnus Stanke

Wow! I had no idea there were ANY in Kennewick -- and there are 3!! I may have to take a walk to the closest one (between 1 and 5 miles from my house) when this horrid cold white stuff disappears.

message 17: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Good morning, everyone! I get such good ideas for future reading from seeing how you all are liking what you're reading.

This week I finished 3 books, but two were very easy:

Lab Girl by Hope Jahren. I love, love, LOVE this book! It's very readable and absolutely fascinating. It would be great for a book club -- lots to discuss. I'm counting it towards task 13 (a book by or about a person who has a disability) because the author is bipolar. Her description of the manic phase of that is incredible. The book is about much more than this, however.

750 Years in Paris by Vincent Mahé. This book is only drawings, each one representing the same building in Paris as it changes over 750 years. Really fun to look for the changes! Lots of detail. I'm using it for task 30 (a book with pictures).

Catwings by Ursula K. Le Guin. I kept hearing about this children's book but had never read it even though I've enjoyed Le Guin's adult books, so I used task 10 (a book with a cat on the cover) as my excuse to finally read it. I'm a big fan of exposing kids to good writing, and this book fits the bill.

Question of the week: I just moved across country and was so excited to see that the house next door has a Little Free Library! That's not why I moved (!!), but it's definitely a bonus. It made me like my new neighbors before I even met them. I haven't used this LFL yet, but I have used another one in the past. I'm not sure what the rules are (if there are any), but I dropped off one good novel when I took one.

message 18: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I don't have any finished this week but I've made progress on a couple. Im reading Alice I Have Been and Great Expectations plus I just received Winter from the library. I'm a bit stressed because GE is going slowly but is a book club read so I need to finish and Winter is so long but I need to finish it before it's due back because there's a wait list! Between a toddler and newborn my reading time is limited so I need to get off Goodreads and get reading lol
QOTW
I have never heard of this but my local library is free and I can borrow books from all over the province with inter-library loans plus I have a card for the city one too so I can borrow from its ebooks and audio books as well. My library is an awesome community hub and I go with my kids at least once a week.

message 19: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracky75) | 2 comments I am currently 8/52.

In the last two weeks I finished:

The Warlock, by Michael Scott form the Alchemyst series, for my audiobook. Love this series. So glad I'm finally getting around to finishing it, and Paul Boehmer is amazing at reading these books.

The Green Ember, by S.D. Smith, for a book from a nonhuman perspective. I've never been a fan of animals leading human lives. This wasn't an exception.

Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies, for a genre I've never heard of (MannerPunk). Also, not a favorite style of book. But I can say I've done it now, lol.

The Invisible Man, by H.G. Wells, for a book mentioned in another book (Matilda). Again, not a fan. But it's moved off my TBR list, so woohoo.

I am still making my way through the Complete Sherlock Holmes (800 pages), The Master Magician (steampunk), On the Jellicoe Road (???), Coming of Age on Zoloft (a librarian friend recommended), and the Last Lecture (a reading group book of the month, where should I put it?).

QOTW: no LFLs near me.

message 20: by Sukriti (new)

Sukriti | 7 comments Hi all. Greetings from sunny Mumbai!

After a fantastic start and 3 books in first 2 weeks, I have hit a reading block.
I already read Gone Girl for a book on an interesting woman and it was mind blowing. Then I read Manhattan Is My Beat though not sure if it fits any category and it wasnt a great read anyway. Then I read a humor satire on Indian life Mrs Funnybones which was sharp and witty and made me think and smile (bestseller from a genre you don't normally read ).

Now since last 2 weeks I have been trying to read Uncle Tom's Cabin for A book where the main character is a different ethnicity than you. This story is on a serious subject and with the language also not being regular English, I have been struggling to read through.. I do hope I finish it soon.

QOTW : Haven't heard about Little Free Libraries here in India however there are a few stores where I have seen a book exchange counter similar to LFL.. leave a book take a book and I think it is a lovely concept!

message 21: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Good morning everyone! This week I finished Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person for "an audiobook". I was planning on listening to a re-read for this prompt, since I can't seem to focus when listening to an audiobook. But about 40 pages into the hard copy I realized her writing style seemed more like a speech or conversation. So I checked the audiobook out and it ended up working out perfectly. A lot of it was a bit rambly, so if I zoned out for a bit I didn't feel like I missed much.

I listened to it while on my way to the Seattle Womxn's March last Saturday. Convienently was at a part that focused on how women compare to men when talking about workplace achievements and bragging. Very uplififting and empowering at spots, but sometimes it was a bit of a drag. I did love the mentions of her work on her shows though. A solid 3 stars, maybe 3.5.

I have House of Leaves checked out from the library but I'm feeling a little intimidated by it.

3/52

QOTW: I have a few LFL's by me, but I've never participated. One is even shaped like a small TARDIS.

message 22: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 411 comments Still bigger from the inside I guess.

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments For those who don't know what a Little Free Library is you can find out more here: https://littlefreelibrary.org/

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna H. (annaholla) | 170 comments I had a good week!

I completed The Last Painting of Sara de Vos(set in two time periods) and The Last Days of Night (librarian's recommendation).

I also finished Capital, The Uncommon Reader, and Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy for the Book Riot challenge.

I made steady progress on my doorstop 800-plus pager, (Bleak House), and started my "involves travel" book (Tunnel Vision) and my book with a subtitle (Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now—As Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Left It, and Long for It) I'm drawing it out. It's lots of short interviews; they're interesting, but they get repetitive. I have to read 30 pages a day in order to finish it in time for my book club meeting, which is about all I can take.

QOTW: I don't know that there's one nearby, as I've just moved here, but there are four public library branches that I can walk to in 20 minutes or less. But I do love the concept!

message 25: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (ninmin30) | 49 comments Hello from Dayton, OH!

I did not manage to finish any books this week but made a lot of progress on both of the book I am reading - The Fiery Cross and My Life on the Road.

I am super close to finishing The Fiery Cross (within 200 pages) and cannot wait to finish it. I find that the Outlander books always seem to pick up within the last 200 pages into that "can't put down" kind of read.

Reading My Life on the Road right now is a little surreal. With everything going on in our country right now (forgive me for getting political), it has been a really good time to read this book. There is a lot of political talk about Steinem campaigning for certain candidates and has a lot of talk about the Clinton/Obama 2008 primary campaign. Just to read a book from one of the greatest feminist icons of our time is really cool. Plus, its a signed copy! Even cooler!

So far, still 2/52. But should be 4/52 within the next couple days. We will see next week!

QOTW: I didn't think we had any in my community but just looked it up and we do have one! I can't wait to check it out soon!

message 26: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Smith | 66 comments Two books completed this week putting me at 8/40.

34. A Book with a month or day of week in the title: 700 Sundays by Billy Crystal. A very quick and easy read. It didn’t blow me away but there were some very lovely passages that showed his love for his parents runs deep.

14. A book about travel: My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem. I was hoping to feel inspired and energized by her life experience. In actuality, it left me feeling a little dismayed at the notion that history is repeating itself. A worthwhile read nonetheless.

Coincidentally, my number came up in the hold queue for The Underground Railroad so this week I'll be getting an early start on the February group read.

QOTW: There is a LFL that I pass on the community path walking to the train stop each morning. I love the concept. I have a few books that I plan to leave there once I’ve read them.

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Hi all from sunny Vancouver!

I am also at 8/40.

This week I finished, #14 A book about travel.
I really enjoy travel writing or travelouges...and I picked The Yellow Envelope: One Gift, Three Rules, and a Life-Changing Journey Around the World, what a great book.
The author travels to several countries...and I loved the bike trip in Vietnam.
Side note -- much of the book is dominated by the marriage issues between the author and her husband.....and it does detract a bit from this book.

A big step for me, I am now reading for # 22 - A steampunk novel. Basically, I don't read any steampunk. Thought I would go for something really classic, it is The Time Machine I am still in the introduction.

I also worked a lot this week on just organizing my reading plans for this year, and what I will read next.

QOTW: You know I think there are Little Free Libraries around, I have just never been to one in my area. I would love to see one, and maybe take a book.

message 28: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 264 comments Good morning from sunny but cold Oklahoma. Well, I was laid off last week so I guess I have a bit more time to read now while I look for a new job. I'm trying not to stress/get depressed about it. Contemplating going back to school. With that said, I've finished three books in the last two weeks.

Voyager for my book set in two time periods. I'm really enjoying this series but this one really felt like two, maybe even three, books in one.

Let it Snow for my book with multiple authors. It was a nice, quick read. I liked how the stories intertwined together but the last one was my least favorite.

The Young Elites for first book in a new series. I liked the concept more than I liked the actual book. I had a hard time connecting with the main character but I am eager to see where this is headed and that complexity develops.

QOTW: I don't think there is a LFL around here but I've always wanted one. I can't put one at my house though because it's a rental but someday I hope to be able to put it in.

message 29: by Brenna (new)

Brenna (bhawleycraig) | 66 comments Happy Thursday!

I decided to participate in the 24in48 reading challenge last weekend, despite not actually having 24 hours available to read. I did make a lot of progress though.

I finished The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which I'm using for my BookRiot Read Harder for book banned often. I have wanted to read this for ages and really felt impacted by it.

I finished Lab Girl for my Book with Career Advice. Definitely an interesting and honest memoir! Highly recommend it.

And then I finished The Girls at the Kingfisher Club for my Book Recommended by a Librarian, from our thread on here! It took me a while to get into it but then I got hooked.

Right now, I'm reading The Moving Finger for fun, and Literary Wonderlands: A Journey Through the Greatest Fictional Worlds Ever Created for my Book with Pictures.

I plan to start The Thirteenth Tale, which Goodreads tells me I added to my To-Read list in 2009! Oh, also, I'm still reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. That one is gonna take forever because I'm reading it in fits and spurts on my phone.

QOTW: No LFL near me because I'm in the country!

message 30: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Hailey wrote: "Last time I checked in, I was starting Eat, Pray, Love for my book involving travel prompt. Made it a couple chapters in before I realized I was never going to like the author. We have significant idealogical differences and I knew continuing to read was just going to leave me frustrated."
I hated this book. I fell for the hype and my then-boyfriend/now husband bought it for me. I made it through Eat and into Pray where I was done quickly.

Fannie wrote: "Still bigger from the inside I guess."
This made me laugh out loud!

Tracy wrote: "Last Lecture (a reading group book of the month, where should I put it?)"

I think you could do:
* Career advice
* About a difficult topic (if you are doing the Advanced)

message 31: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5570 comments Mod
Charlotte - I'm sorry, I've been there too and it sucks. But yeah, more reading time!

message 32: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Langsather (langsather) | 100 comments Still plugging away with Angle of Repose "recommended by a librarian". I am only half way done.

But I started A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home which will fit "a book with a subtitle" or it might fit "a book from a nonhuman perspective". The book is about a mouse but the mouse is not the narrator so I am not sure. This one I might have to leave up to my discretion.

I am a mom with 3 young girls and I read to them almost every night. If a picture book or kids book fits a prompt I am going to count it because this is my world right now. We read My Dream of Martin Luther King "a book by a person of color" so I might not be taking part in the group read in February unless it fills a different prompt- anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Official Count: 4/40- still not totally committed to the advanced list but I am reading the Bible for the 800 page book through the end of the year.

QOTW: I haven't seen an IFL in my tiny town though I have heard people trying to start one especially for kids. We have a couple of them in the town a little ways over from us so I will check it out- love the concept.

message 33: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 26 comments I couldn't post last week, because I was traveling for work.

I did finish Dash & Lily's Book of Dares the previous week for a book with multiple authors. While I was traveling I finished The Underground Railroad for a bestseller from 2016. So, I've finished 7 so far.

I'm still reading The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas, and hope to finish it soon. It's pretty tedious, but some of the information is really good. I also just started Uglies for the category "a bestseller from a genre that you don't normally read."

I don't know of a LFL near me. I live and work in a very urban area. I don't think these pop up in major cities, but are more in suburban areas. They're super cute, but I've only ever seen them on the news or online. I think they're great for areas that may not have easy access to a library.

We do have a book exchange at work (I work for a state agency in California) where people can leave and take books. The ones I always leave get taken pretty quickly. :)

message 34: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Juanita wrote: "Hailey wrote: "Last time I checked in, I was starting Eat, Pray, Love for my book involving travel prompt. Made it a couple chapters in before I realized I was never going to like the ..."

I, too, hated this book. Maybe that's too harsh. I liked the story of traveling and finding yourself; it was fun. Just don't get me started on Elizabeth Gilbert and her tone throughout. UGH.

message 35: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 273 comments This week didn't turn out as I expected. I've been out of town for work, which is usually when I am able to get a lot of reading in. However, this time I was so busy I was lucky to read 15 min each night before I fell asleep.

I didn't finish any book this week, but I am nearly done with The Princess Bride and The Handmaid's Tale. I'm not sure what I will start when I finish these, but my goal is to get at least 50% through another title (in addition to finishing these 2) by the next update.

I am at 4/52 to date.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

message 36: by Thegirlintheafternoon (last edited Jan 26, 2017 10:44AM) (new)

Thegirlintheafternoon Brenna wrote: "Happy Thursday!

I decided to participate in the 24in48 reading challenge last weekend, despite not actually having 24 hours available to read. I did make a lot of progress though.

I finished [bo..."

Brenna, I'm so glad you ended up enjoying The Girls at the Kingfisher Club! I love love love that book.

message 37: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 510 comments This week I read:

Atlas of Lost Cities: A Travel Guide to Abandoned and Forsaken Destinations : Incredibly boring. Interesting subject, but endlessly repetitive and not nearly enough pictures.

The Martian : Awesome! Survivalist lit at its finest. If you liked Island of the Blue Dolphins or Hatchet as a kid, you'll probably like this. This will probably get slotted in "bestseller from a genre you don't normally read" because I generally steer clear of sci-fi. As a chemist, sci-fi usually leaves me rolling my eyes but the Martian is written as contemporary near-future sci-fi so basically using tech we either have or reasonably could have in the next 50 years. Anyway, totally recommend.

QOTW: We don't really have those around here; the main public library is really convenient so I don't think that an LFL would get a lot of use. It's interesting, I think there's a sort of cross-over point in terms of population density. If it's a super urban area, people don't need an LFL because they are generally close to a library. If it's too rural, there's no point in putting out an LFL, because how often are people going to come by? If they're going to drive over to an LFL, they'll just drive to the regular library for the larger selection. So there's a sort of sweet spot of convenience for using LFLs.

message 38: by Tanelle (new)

Tanelle Nash | 128 comments I had a slow week for reading I was only able to finish two books:

Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race took me a long time to get through although I'm glad I stuck it out.

I also threw in a quick one for Spells of Blood and Kin. This one only took me a day.

Currently I'm reading something out of my usual genres in Catalyst - A Rogue One Novel I don't usually read sci-fi books but I'm really enjoying it.

QOTW:

Yes! I'm super excited about this one (considering I was the one who mentioned it last week lol). We have multiple LFL throughout our town (population ~28,000). 7 are run through our library and were created last year. We have many others privately run (I'd estimate around 10). Our library is also very highly used (membership is around 19,000). I'm an avid user of both the LFL's and the public library. In fact I rarely buy books at all anymore.

message 39: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 25 comments Hello! I am getting back into my reading groove too! I am currently in the middle of three books:

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer for a book with a subtitle. Although this is interesting it is taking me a while to get through it. But I do like the topic so I will keep plugging away at it.

Mere Christianity for a bestseller in a genre I don't usually read (Christian Non-fiction). This is a much shorter read with quick chapters so I forsee myself finishing this in a couple of days.

The Shining for an audiobook. Although I've long written off listening to audio books, this one has me hanging on every word. I love it!

QOTW: I don't have a little free library by me but I have a public library within walking distance of my house which is just as good. :)

message 40: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 25 comments Oh, and I forgot I am 2/52

message 41: by Sara (new)

Sara | 13 comments Good morning from freezing Alaska.

I finished The Black Stallion for a book you loved as a child. It was definitely younger than I remember!

I also finished Finding Audrey for a book with a title that's a character's name. It was a really good short read.

I finished Staked and Grave Witch. I really enjoyed both of these books.

QOTW:

I have never seen a Little Free Library in my town. I do use the local library and my university library.

message 42: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 249 comments olá.this week I finished O Assobiador from Ondjaki, pseudonym of an angolan author-a country I don't visited yet.I started reading Diz que és um Deles and I'm surprised so far. I don't have a near LFL in my town.

message 43: by Diane (last edited Jan 26, 2017 11:52AM) (new)

Diane | 68 comments Hello everyone!

Missed a couple of weeks, so here is a catch up.
London for the Advanced challenge of over 800 pages - which actually was 1124. Decided this would be a good prompt to complete early.
Lion in the Valley A book with a cat on the cover.
84, Charing Cross Road A book of letters
The Price of Salt also published as Carol which I read for another challenge
Heartless. A best seller from a genre I don't usually read.
Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race A book with a subtitle. I may switch this the advanced challenge of a book that's becoming a movie
Minnesota's Oldest Murder Mystery: The Case of Edward Philander: St. Paul's Unsaintly Pioneer. Read for another challenge, but just realized it is also a book with a subtitle.

Not sure what books to start next since I just finished London last night. I'm listening to The Last Summer for the book with one of the four seasons in the title

Little Free Library - Although I've seen lots of them around the Minneapolis - St. Paul area, we don't have one near us, so I've never had the chance.

message 44: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Jackie wrote:

The Martian : Awesome! Survivalist lit at its finest. If you liked Island of the Blue Dolphins or Hatchet as a kid, you'll probably like this. This will probably get slotted in "bestseller from a genre you don't normally read" because I generally steer clear of sci-fi. As a chemist, sci-fi usually leaves me rolling my eyes but the Martian is written as contemporary near-future sci-fi so basically using tech we either have or reasonably could have in the next 50 years. Anyway, totally recommend. "

As a chemist, the only thing about this book that got me rolling my eyes was his constantly assuming 100% yields. Otherwise, loved it!

message 45: by Karen (new)

Karen | 15 comments Hello again folks! First of all, a shout out to all the people who manage to get tons of reading done in a week - I don't seem to be able to do the same. Maybe I'm just a really slow reader, lol. But, I digress..

I only finished one book this week, putting me at 2/40 (not doing the advanced challenge). The book was Eleanor & Park, which was my bestseller from a genre I don't usually read (YA). I actually really enjoyed it, and think I will read more by its author, Rainbow Rowell.

I've just started working on One Good Turn for my book with a red spine.

As for the QOTW, I don't have a LFL near my house, but I love the idea of them. There is a public library right near where I live though, so I go there quite often.

message 46: by Betty (last edited Jan 26, 2017 12:20PM) (new)

Betty Quon Good Afternoon, Everyone! Right now I am at 7/40.
I have only completed one book this week, The Shack, and I loved it! I am currently listening to Dracula (for my book of letters) and Pride & Prejudice (for the book that has been on my TBR list the longest) on youtube. So excited to find out about this resource! I am reading the book Chopsticks in the Land of Cotton: Lives of the Mississippi Delta Chinese Grocers for my book with a subtitle. I hope to complete these three books this week, but it will be a stretch. I'll just have to see!
Little Free Library: I've never used one, but I love the idea and would use one if one was available. We are such a rural community with people so stretched out that it isn't really practical for most of us. There are some small neighborhoods, but I've never seen any in those areas, either.

message 47: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Bunton (haileybunton) | 20 comments Lindi wrote: "Juanita wrote: "Hailey wrote: "Last time I checked in, I was starting Eat, Pray, Love for my book involving travel prompt. Made it a couple chapters in before I realized I was never go..."

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. She just drove me nuts. Maybe I'll just watch the movie instead. haha

message 48: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Bunton (haileybunton) | 20 comments Juanita wrote: "Hailey wrote: "Last time I checked in, I was starting Eat, Pray, Love for my book involving travel prompt. Made it a couple chapters in before I realized I was never going to like the ..."

She's just so whiney!!!! It makes me nervous for Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living. I loved that movie and am planning on reading it for one of the prompts, but if this gal is just as annoying as Elizabeth Gilbert, I don't think I will make it through that one either.

message 49: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Phillips (debbie_phillips) | 67 comments I have not posted any updates yet but decided to let you know what is up with me. I have finished 3 books so far this year, but not any this week. I have read Steampunk Fairy Tales for the Steampunk novel.

I am counting Queen of the Cookbooks for a book about food. The story is in a series I am reading and it includes a cooking competition at a new library's opening and a cooking program at the same library later in the book.

The third book I have read this year is Ready to Wed and I may count this as my book for the prompt a book set in a hotel... it is set in a bed and breakfast so I am not counting it until I see if I read something else that fits the hotel prompt better.

I don't know of any Little Free Libraries near me but I work at our local library so I am surrounded by books every day.

message 50: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Hailey wrote: "I'm glad I wasn't the only one. She just drove me nuts. Maybe I'll just watch the movie instead. haha"

Nope, definitely not the only one! If you read through the reviews on here there are some pretty harsh ones. She also has a very privileged tone, as if she's better than everyone.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.