Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 archive > Nominate a book about an interesting woman for the March group read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara (last edited Jan 30, 2017 01:33PM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments We are going to start the nomination thread for March's group read a little earlier than previous months. This will hopefully allow more time for participants to acquire a copy (especially from the library).

UPDATE: This thread will remain open until January 31 for nominations. Once nominations close a poll will be created with the top 6 books from the nominations.

Post the title and the author (link if possible - this makes it much easier to tabulate the nominations).

Rules:
One nomination of one book per member.
The top 6 most nominated books will be added to the poll.

No other posts in this thread.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I nominate Katherine by Anya Seton

message 5: by Christine (last edited Jan 22, 2017 02:10PM) (new)

Christine McCann | 462 comments My suggestion is Rebecca.

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (atwistedlime) | 18 comments I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 12: by Jen Parenti (new)

Jen Parenti | 6 comments Rebecca

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Heaney | 193 comments That Woman: The Life of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor - Anne Sebba

message 16: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Malala

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda McLaughlin (lindamclaughlin) Do we all have to read the same book every month?

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna H. (annaholla) | 170 comments Linda wrote: "Do we all have to read the same book every month?"

Nope! Only if you want to. If it's a prompt that you're struggling with, it's nice to do the group read.

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Linda wrote: "Do we all have to read the same book every month?"

No, the monthly read is an optional activity for those who are interested. You are welcome to join, but you may certainly abstain :)

message 23: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Rb | 3 comments How and when do we see the top 6 books?

message 24: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Rb | 3 comments I vote for America's First Daughter

message 25: by Allie (last edited Jan 26, 2017 06:19AM) (new)

Allie | 52 comments Lab Girl by Hope Jahren!

message 29: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Colleen wrote: "How and when do we see the top 6 books?"

This thread is just nominations for books that members suggest for the group read. Once we close the nominations (haven't set a date for that yet) I will count up the total nominations for each book. The top six will then be added to a poll for voting. When the poll is created I will send a message to the entire group so that you can vote.

message 30: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Miller | 9 comments I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

message 31: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 10 comments I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
by Malala Yousafzai

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 39 comments I know why the caged bird sings - maya angelou

message 34: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 17 comments Rebecca is an interesting book, but I would't say it's a book about an interesting woman...

message 36: by Nadine (last edited Jan 24, 2017 04:57AM) (new)

Nadine Jones | 5607 comments Mod
I'd like to read Girl Waits with Gun, which is "a novel based on the forgotten true story of one of the nation’s first female deputy sheriffs," Constance Kopp. I read another book by Amy Stewart last year (it was about earthworms, completely different kind of book!) and I loved it, so I want to read more by her. When I found out that this is a novelization of a real life, and another group member (I'm sorry, I cannot remember who you are!) highly recommended it, I pushed it to the top of my list!

There, that's my sales pitch :-)

message 37: by Meghan L (new)

Meghan L I also nominate The Princess Diarist.

message 38: by Donna (last edited Jan 24, 2017 05:50PM) (new)

Donna | 32 comments Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
Lillian Boxfish takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney

message 39: by Donna (new)

Donna | 32 comments The Mothers by Brit Bennett
The Mothers

message 41: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 273 comments I agree with a couple of the other commenters and vote for Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg

message 42: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairetastrophe) | 9 comments hidden figures

message 43: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Some good suggestions! I nominate Margaret Fuller: A New American Life by Megan Marshall

Margaret Fuller was a contemporary of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Thoreau, Louisa May Alcott

message 44: by Jule (new)

Jule Monnens (kaferlily) | 38 comments I vote for Hidden Figures though I'm reading it for another category. I am reading Hedy's Folly about "a remarkable story of science history: how a ravishing film star and an avant-garde composer invented spread-spectrum radio, the technology that made wireless phones, GPS systems, and many other devices possible. Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World

https://www.amazon.com/Hedys-Folly-Br...Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World

Antonia E Iacampo | 15 comments Oh, I second (or 5th or whatever we are at, lol) Hidden Figures. I'm also reading it for a different category, but I'd love to have a group discussion about it.

I see everyone is going with real women for this prompt...interesting. That is totally not where I went in my head.

I was going to suggest The Book of the Unnamed Midwife.

message 47: by Joy (new)

message 48: by LdyGray (new)

LdyGray | 7 comments I also nominate Hidden Figures, or Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay.

All of these suggestions are great!

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda McGough | 25 comments I nominate My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

message 50: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (belalusia) | 40 comments I'd like to nominate Women Who Work: Rewriting the Rules for Success by Ivanka Trump.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.