Book Obsessed discussion

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
This topic is about The Maze Runner
Archives~2017 Buddy Reads > The Maze Runner Series~2017

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Feb 10, 2017 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melanie | 235 comments Mod
This is the Series Buddy Read for The Maze Runner series!
Duration: 2.1.17-5.1.17

The Maze Runner Series (Maze Runner) by James Dashner The Maze Runner Series by James Dashner

1) The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James DashnerThe Maze Runner
Start Date: 2.1.17

2) The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James DashnerThe Scorch Trials
Start Date: 2.15.17

2.5) Thomas’s First Memory of the Flare (Maze Runner, #2.5) by James Dashner Thomas’s First Memory of the Flare
Start Date: 3.1.17

3) The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James DashnerThe Death Cure

4) The Kill Order (Maze Runner, #0.5) by James DashnerThe Kill Order
Start Date: 3.15.17

5) The Fever Code (The Maze Runner, #0.6) by James DashnerThe Fever Code
Start Date: 4.1.17

OPTIONAL
Start Date: 4.15.17
The Maze Runner Files (Maze Runner) by James DashnerThe Maze Runner Files
Inside the Maze Runner The Guide to the Glade by James DashnerInside the Maze Runner: The Guide to the Glade
Maze Runner The Scorch Trials The Official Graphic Novel Prelude by Jackson LanzingMaze Runner: The Scorch Trials: The Official Graphic Novel Prelude

I have listed the books in the suggested reading order by the author. Feel free to join in at any time.

message 2: by Melanie (last edited Feb 16, 2017 06:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James DashnerThe Maze Runner
Start Date: 2.1.17

Book Description:

If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.

message 3: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. I would like to read the first book at least :) I will try to start it this week.

Laura (lauradragonchild) I'm starting it this week too.

Laura (lauradragonchild) hey there! did anybody start the maze runner? I am a fast reader and if it's a buddy read I want to wait until you girls start it.

I have started it and so far I like it. I'm in the same boat here as The Longest Ride. I have some library books due soon that I need to finish first. I plan to finish it by the 15th though!

Laura (lauradragonchild) I only need a few days for it so I'll make sure it's done before the 15th so we can chat about it. What library books do you have due? Maybe you want another buddy read with a fast reader :))

Lol, I'm reading a couple of series books:
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (#1)

Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3) by Kiersten White Endlessly by Kiersten White (#3)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I'm in for six of crows if you want. as it is I doubt I'll be making it with the mount tbr challenge - too many good buddy reads and too many good new books.

Laura (lauradragonchild) how far in it are you and when do you want to finish it? that is if you are in for a buddy read :))

I'm about 37% in and I'd like to finish it by this weekend.

Laura (lauradragonchild) drat! that much into it already! I think I'll pass then. Start with Fallen though I really don't know why I don't feel like picking up that book :((! I'll finish maze runner also by 15th.

I am really liking The Maze Runner, it is very engaging and easy to read.

Laura (lauradragonchild) I'm starting it tomorrow. Picked up Torment in between and want to finish it. Where are you now with Maze Runner?

I'm about 46% in, and it's actually hard to put down, but I have to work in the morning :(.

Laura (lauradragonchild) makes me eager to put my hands on it :))

Laura (lauradragonchild) I'm starting today. Did you already finish it? You seem to be a very fast reader also :)

I haven't finished yet, I think my reading speed depends on how much I like a book, lol. I can read a 500-600 page book in a day, if I really love it. I'm sure I will finish this one pretty quick, once I pick it up again. :) I'm reading too many books at once right now, I need to stop doing that to myself, lol.

Laura (lauradragonchild) I'm half way through it now and I must say i really enjoy it. I haven't seen the movie yet but I think I'll give that a go also after I finish the series. I like the concept of the maze and the way the author describes the attitude and behaviour of the boys: seems like stuff plucked out of the real life. The story flows fast and easy and keeps you curious to what the whole thing actually is. I'm eager to get to the finish:). It's very entertaining.

Laura (lauradragonchild) I'm giving it 4 stars though it is really not my type of book. It is perfect I think for young boys who dream of fight and being heroes. The way the kids talk reminds me a little about the way my brother used to talk to his friends (different name-calling of course but nonetheless the same in intent and style). For me personally there was something missing but I think it is a very good read for those who like this genre.

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James DashnerThe Scorch Trials
Start Date: 2.15.16

Book Description:

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.

Ok, so I still haven't picked the maze runner back up, lol. I promise I was really liking it, I just started reading the Harry Potter books again and couldn't stop. I plan to pick it up again tomorrow night and then I will start the next one :).

Laura (lauradragonchild) It's ok Melanie:) I am not gonna read the second book still. Not really in a hurry for it. I'm in the middle of a buddy read for Elantris right now and the book is great by the way. I'll get to the scorch trials only before the end of the month.

Laura (lauradragonchild) finished with the scorch trials and gave it only 2 stars. Not really my type of book. The plot escalates to something sort of weird for me and the whole talk about variables seems at this point ...
I'll be reading the third book just to see what the author really means by it - to get an explanation but I'm affraid I might bail on the other extra books.

Sorry you didn't like it, maybe the next one will be better for you. I really need to finish the maze runner now, lol.

I finally picked it back up again and it was a four star for me. I really enjoyed the story and I really want to know what's going on in this world and why Thomas and Teresa are so special. I feel like there is still so much I don't know, I need answers, so I must read the next book.

Laura (lauradragonchild) It was the same for me when I finished the first book. The second book however was a disappointment. For me it raised more questions than answers but it may be only my opinion. I'm waiting to see what you think about it.

I heard the third one is where the story gets good because you get a bunch of answers. I will be reading the scorch trials soon, I still need to read the Book of the Month, lol.

Laura (lauradragonchild) speaking of book of the month. check the thread for March please. You sure about that one? Can't we change it?

Are you referring to the girl on the train? It was the winner i the polls and I would like to read it myself. Have you read it and not liked it?

Laura (lauradragonchild) that's the one. I started it but gave up. Didn't like it at all.

Oh, I'm sorry you didn't like it :(. Luckily, you aren't required to read our group reads. If you would like to read something else, I'd be willing to do a buddy read with you! I'm still going to give it a try and see if I like it. I will force myself to finish it even if I don't like it.

Laura (lauradragonchild) Let me know what you are planning to read next month and we can buddy read something. I have a lot of heavy stuff scheduled for March so something light would be a good change in between.

Laura (lauradragonchild) I thought group reads were compulsory:).

Not in this group, lol, but I do like to see participation. :) I don't have anything planned yet, but let me know if you have a standalone you already plan on reading. If something else comes up for me, I'll let you know.

Thomas’s First Memory of the Flare (Maze Runner, #2.5) by James DashnerThomas’s First Memory of the Flare

Book Description:

Short flashback that occurs between "The Scorch Trials" and "The Death Cure."

message 37: by Melanie (last edited Feb 28, 2017 07:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James DashnerThe Death Cure

Book Description:

It’s the end of the line.

WICKED has taken everything from Thomas: his life, his memories, and now his only friends—the Gladers. But it’s finally over. The trials are complete, after one final test.

Will anyone survive?

What WICKED doesn’t know is that Thomas remembers far more than they think. And it’s enough to prove that he can’t believe a word of what they say.

The truth will be terrifying.

Thomas beat the Maze. He survived the Scorch. He’ll risk anything to save his friends. But the truth might be what ends it all.

The time for lies is over. (less)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I'm about 80 percent done with this one and I have to admit it was better than the first 2. Though I still haven't got a clue what is really happening in here. It's a little bit frustrating. It makes me interested in knowing what comes next and I really wonder about the finish. For now it's all still a mixed jumble.

I'm so behind, I really need to catch up. I've committed myself to too many books, just like I always do. I may not get them read on time, but I will get to them. :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I think we're in the same boat here :). that's why the longest ride is left so far behind with me also.

Laura (lauradragonchild) by the way, if you want to wait for Crooked Kingdom till April end I'll buddy read it with you. I'm planning on reading both books that time. seriously overbooked this month!

message 42: by Melanie (last edited Mar 07, 2017 09:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I actually already have it checked out from my library, lol, but I could probably return it and then just check it out again! :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) that's ok. :)

The Kill Order (Maze Runner, #0.5) by James DashnerThe Kill Order
Start Date: 3.15.17

Book Description:

The prequel to the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series.

Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease.

Mark and Trina were there when it happened, and they survived. But surviving the sun flares was easy compared to what came next. Now a disease of rage and lunacy races across the eastern United States, and there’s something suspicious about its origin. Worse yet, it’s mutating, and all evidence suggests that it will bring humanity to its knees.

Mark and Trina are convinced there’s a way to save those left living from descending into madness. And they’re determined to find it—if they can stay alive. Because in this new, devastated world, every life has a price. And to some, you’re worth more dead than alive.

Laura (lauradragonchild) sorry Melanie but I'm done with Maze Runner. Not worth for me reading the extras. I was not at all impressed with the trilogy though I had high hopes for it. there are so many other real good books there to read...

No problem, I don't mind. I will keep going to the end in case anyone else wants to join in at a later date. I still haven't started the second one yet. I'm finally getting into The Longest Ride. :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) oh my! the Longest Ride! I totally forgot about that one again. got caught up in Brent Weeks - who is incredible by the way! And now the Long Price Quartet. And there is the 3rd book in Fallen also....
sheeesh If I go on like this I think I'll try for the Longest Ride only in April or May :(!

The Fever Code (The Maze Runner, #0.6) by James Dashner The Fever Code
Start Date: 4.1.17

Book Description:

Once there was a world’s end.

The forests burned, the lakes and rivers dried up, and the oceans swelled.

Then came a plague, and fever spread across the globe. Families died, violence reigned, and man killed man.

Next came WICKED, who were looking for an answer. And then they found the perfect boy.

The boy’s name was Thomas, and Thomas built a maze.

Now there are secrets.

There are lies.

And there are loyalties history could never have foreseen.

This is the story of that boy, Thomas, and how he built a maze that only he could tear down.

All will be revealed.