Start by marking “The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2)

The Scorch Trials

(The Maze Runner #2)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  393,817 ratings  ·  24,950 reviews
Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WI
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 362 pages
Published October 12th 2010 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Scorch Trials, please sign up.
Eajas
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  393,817 ratings  ·  24,950 reviews

Katie
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
During this entire book, I counted how many times Thomas ended up passing out or sleeping either at the end of a chapter or paragraph and did you want to know what the finally count was?

29.

29 times this guy blacked out!! Out of 360 pages, Thomas left you with the cliff hanger of "and finally he slept" 29 times. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

If this didn't annoy you at all, reread this book (NOT RECOMMENDED) and realize that this dude spent most of his life passed out. Then try to tell me you didn't

Miranda Reads
The lyrical genius of Dashner brings out such heart-wrenching emotions that I often have to pause to collect myself.
“Anybody else wanna pee their pants and cry for mommy?”
Thomas's innermost thoughts have this je ne sais quoi.
I felt her absence. It was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth..
(Somebody, please, send help)

What the mess is happening to this plot? Instead of a giant maze, we are faced with the zombie apocalypse and a desert. Whiplash.

Essentially, we have a few
Emily May
Feb 05, 2011 rated it did not like it

What the hell? Even though I have sometimes enjoyed a book and not really liked the sequel, it's very rare that I would love one and absolutely hate the other. I desperately tried to finish it but I was bored, I kept getting distracted by either my family, my cats or some random fluff on the carpet... so I just skim-read it to the end and gave myself a basic idea of what the conclusion was.

I truly loved The Maze Runner, even though quite a few people found it annoying - particularly the protag
Lola
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was ok

How can an author start a trilogy with such a fascinating world-building, create endearing and strong characters and build up suspense and intrigue inside a complex and admirable plot…

and then write this?

description

That’s right, I’m extremely disappointed in Mr. Dashner. How could he make Thomas so annoyingly obsessed with that annoying girl he so annoyingly has telepathic conversations with? I.did.not.care.

I did not care about the romance. I did not want any romance. Honestly, I could say I adored the fir
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Too many questions. Too many shuck questions, all without answers.”

And that about sums it up! I swear, by now I’m as confused and angry as Thomas and with all the shit WICKED pulled off I can’t help but wonder if they might be “past the gone” already. But I’m getting ahead of myself so let’s start at the beginning, right?

We’ll make it easy and begin with the similarities between the movie and the book:

- The characters
- There’s a girl named Brenda
- There is some sort of wicked party (no pun int
Christina
Jan 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. STAY AWAY AND SAVE YOURSELVES!
Sigh. I don't know how to write a review for this book without it sounding like a full-out rant. So I guess I'll just rant.

First of all, I will admit that I only have myself to blame for picking up this (audio)book. I wasn't a fan of the first one, and yet I still decided to give The Scorch Trials a try. Somehow, this one was worse than the The Maze Runner. How so? Let me count the ways...

1. Character development. James Dashner deserves an award for achieving the impossible by being the first au
Thomas
I AM SO CONFUSED RIGHT NOW.

I hate it when people do that. Don't you just want to tell them," okay, calm down. It's not like writing in caps is going to get your point across any further." But I just had to, because my brain is bursting at the seams after reading The Scorch Trials.

I love Thomas' name! I know my enthusiasm is quite unnecessary, but I've never seen the name Thomas used for the protagonist of a book. And a great one, too. Now there are other references besides that darn Thomas the T
Nick
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars

I seriously don't know how to feel about this. It's a total mess.

I loved the first book, but I am not sure I like this one that much.

I don't enjoy the writing style at all. I didn't mind it in the first book, but in the second it just became more unbearable.

I loved the characters in the first one, now I don't even care for them at all.

Not sure if I will read the last one.
Mohammed Arabey
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Sorry to break the bad news But...Guys..You have to Run Again...
No no, not the maze..but here..Welcome to the new Trial...
And Thomas, Remember..
WICKED is Good so shuckin' Wicked

"فيروس الأيبولا الدموي ينتشر في العالم وظهور حالة بنيويورك..الأحتباس الحراري وصل لمرحلة متقدمة... وجماعات تنادي بانقاذ القطب الشمالي"
هل مازلت تعتقد ان احداث تلك الرواية مستحيل تحققها في المستقبل؟؟

اذا شاهدت -واعجبك- الفيلم الأول , لا تنتظر الجزء الثاني وابدأ فورا في قراءة الرواية
تعبت من الجري مع توماس واصدقاءه في المتاهة,
Emily Rose
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Holy klunk, this book is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!
Natalie Monroe
Thomas, honeybunch? We need to talk.

What exactly happened here? In the first book, you were a huge Gary Stu, yes, but you also captured my heart with your endearing awkwardness. You were a confused little boy that awakened the mama bear in me and made me want to take you in my arms and squeeze you til all the insecurity is gone. For the Scorch Trials, I still wanted to play the mom, but the kind that whacks you a new one so you'll sort your shit out.

How the hell did you go from this:

To this:

Half
Charlotte May
“So we’ve had to up the ante, and now it’s time for Phase Two. It’s time for things to get difficult.”

Damn I love this series!
So Thomas and the Gladers have escaped the horrors of the maze, only to be thrown into a world even worse than the one they left behind.
Full of secrets, mysteries and red herrings I was completely gripped following the Gladers journey through the Scorch, to the alleged safe haven

We get new characters introduced, Jorge and Brenda, and we get to see what the awful disea
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2), James Dashner
The Scorch Trials is a 2010 young adult post-apocalyptic dystopian science fiction novel written by American author James Dashner and the second book, fourth chronologically, in The Maze Runner series. The novel was published on September 18, 2010 by Delacorte Press. It is preceded by The Maze Runner, and followed by The Death Cure. A film adaptation was released on September 18, 2015 by 20th Century Fox. The book starts with Thomas and the other
May
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
Una segunda parte de la que esperaba poco y que me ha sorprendido gratamente. Me ha gustado bastante, aunque no tanto como El corredor del laberinto.
Eso sí, veo algunos cabos sueltos y personajes que no han evolucionado nada.
¡Con ganas de leer el tercero ya!
Laz
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dystopia lovers
WICKED is good. Nah.

Where should I begin? Firstly, this was by no means as good as the first book. The first book was a mix of thrill and adventure and the mystery surrounding everything was something that gave the chills.

On the other hand, the second novel failed to give me the goosebumps and I would sometimes lose interest. The storyline felt dragged on and phase two was a boiled potato. I felt like Mr. Dashner put all the characters and had them running around like pigs for nothing. It kind
Zainab
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-series
I am FLYING through these books!
Okay now it feels like the movie and the book are two completely different things. Again, I'm not complaining. I love both of them but I do admit that it was hard picturing all the 'new' scenarios since my mind kept going back to the movie ones.

description

Can we just take a moment to appreciate Newt? He's the sanest and smartest person among all of them. Such a sweety...ugh I love him.

description

Oh also... Minho's character's a bit unrefined..borderline rude. I mean I know I sound like
Claudia Ramírez
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I'm more confused than ever!!!
Debra

I was expecting things to finally clear up at the end of this book, instead I was left with even more questions than before...

Up until 80% I really enjoyed the story though, and I'll probably read book 3 as well, because I just have to know how all of this is going to play out.

3.5 Stars.
Mitchel Broussard
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Here we go again!

Just when they think they are all safe and in a place where there is food and water and showers and bed... nope, doesn't last very long.

They wake up from their little safe place to all kinds of weirdness, dead people hanging from the ceiling, cranks (crazy sick people) trying to get in the windows, Teresa gone and replaced by a boy named Aris, and other stuff.

THEN, they get locked in a room and when they are allowed out all of that stuff is gone and things are changed. Then a
Liam
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
re-reading this book was tHE BEST DECISION!!

I read this book for the first time a couple of years ago and I honestly could barely remember anything that happens... So when the trailer came out and it looked amazing I felt a re-read was needed!

This book was so fast paced and I just couldn't put it down!! Nearly every little chapter ends in a cliff hanger so I found myself saying "just one more chapter" at the end of every chapter...

The bromance and sass between the gladers in what stood out to
Maria Kaye
Feb 19, 2014 rated it liked it
OH SHIT, IT LOOKS AMAZING. SOME TEASER PHOTOS FOR THE SCORCH TRIALS MOVIE.

description

There's more but these are the best, WHO ELSE IS EXCITED?
mark monday

photo sigh_zps7b8198cf.jpg
P
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
“The betrayal meant he couldn't trust her anymore, and his heart told him he couldn't forgive her.”

This book is as good as the first one, but honestly, the movie sucks. I legit adored the ideas in The Maze Runner. James Dashner successfully delivered enjoyment to me when reading his books. In The Scorch Trials, the game is changed, they don't run away anymore but have to find something or someone instead. The first 30% of the book was refreshing regarding that I did want to take a break from
~Tina~
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, James Dashner is my freaken Hero!!!!

WOW you guys! Just O M G, WoW!
If y'all liked The Maze Runner, you'll LovE The Scorch Trials! It's unbelievable!

James Dashner as once again created a none stop, action packed adventure that will blow your ever loving Shuck-Sticks-Cranked mind.
With new characters and all your favorite crazed-lingo-Gladers, comes a story of constant struggle to survive, a once again, Trial that are even more terrifying, dangerous and in
Aishu Rehman
Lame. After a promising start with The Maze Runner, this book tries to keep the tension going by not answering any of the questions set up by its predecessor. Unfortunately, this just means it devolves very quickly into not making any sense and the characters lose what little they had to talk about in the first book. So the main character just blunders through a bunch of stuff asking questions that never get answered and repeating the entire story of the first book to everyone he meets. Like, li ...more
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
Okay so this book was much better than the first but I'm a little confused... Death cure is next right? What about fever code and kill order?
Arlene
Jun 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SciFi and Dystopia YA Fans
Post-apocalyptic Nightmare!

Wow, The Scorch Trials was definitely a bizarre mind trip, and after everything that was revealed and unfolded, I can’t wait to see how this series ends.

This next installment to The Maze Runner picks up right where the first book left off. The Gladers have been rescued from The Maze, but their trials are far from over. They are immediately launched into a human nightmare where WICKED uses mental, physical, psychological and emotional experiments to test mind patterns
Kate ♡
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
The Scorch Trials

This was an awesome books, however not as good as the first.
I loved all the mystery and constant suspense, although Thomas seemed to be sleeping or passing out a lot in this book :')

I feel like not a lot happened, yet a lot did at the same time. This book definitely took a different turn and was very different to The Maze Runner.

I'm excited to see how this ends, because I've heard very controversial things about it!
These books are great so far and I really want to pick up some
Renata
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No sabía a qué esperarme de este libro y la verdad me ha sorprendido. Me sentí muy decepcionada y traicionada y confusa en casi todo el libro pero supongo que es esto lo que James quiere. Espero que acaben ya con los juegos y ver que pasa por que me estoy poniendo muy nerviosa.
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review 1 5 Jul 26, 2018 07:31PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Speak
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Lies (Gone, #3)
  • Other Worlds
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Solitary (Escape from Furnace, #2)
  • The Sun Dwellers (The Dwellers, #3)
  • Middle Ground (Awaken, #2)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • The Legacy (The Declaration, #3)
  • Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)
  • Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin, #2)
  • Dark Life (Dark Life, #1)
  • Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)
  • Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2)
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.

The Maze Runner (5 books)
  • The Kill Order (The Maze Runner, #0.5)
  • The Fever Code (The Maze Runner, #0.6)
  • The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
  • The Death Cure (The Maze Runner, #3)
“i felt her absence. it was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth. you wouldn't need to run to the mirror to know they were gone” 791 likes
“Rose took my nose, I suppose” 476 likes