The Sword and Laser discussion

The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1)
This topic is about The Rook
The Rook > TR: Easter eggs - no plot spoilers

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (last edited Dec 07, 2016 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna | 1175 comments This was my second time reading this book. This let me notice a lot more little details. Clever descriptions, and I think references to other fantasy and horror stories. So I thought I'd set up a thread to collect them and guess at what they reference. I plan to put my answers under spoilers. Can anyone find any others? I confess, I blitzed through The Rook and then through the sequel, Stiletto. There are quite a few more references in the sequel.

Page 251 of my edition: "'Clovis said we haven't been at this level of security since those creepy blond kids were wandering around in Winshire.'"

I think this is a reference to (view spoiler)

Joanna | 1175 comments Page 294 "[midway through a rant]...figuring out why the hell a two-door wardrobe in the spare room of a country house is considered to be a matter of national concern!"

I'm nearly certain the character is talking about (view spoiler)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 230 comments Neither fantasy nor horror, but when we hear about the estate school on Kirrin Island I wondered if it was a reference to the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton! Five on a Treasure Island

Alan Denham (AlanDenham) | 85 comments Colin wrote: "Neither fantasy nor horror, but when we hear about the estate school on Kirrin Island I wondered if it was a reference to the Famous Five books by Enid Blyton! Five on a Treasure Island"
I noticed the references above (the creepy blond kids, the wardrobe, Kirrin Island) and assumed a deliberate, if rather obvious, respectful nod to those great authors of the past. I wonder if I missed any? Perhaps I will have to read it again!

Joyce (Eternity21) | 141 comments Joanna wrote: "Page 294 "[midway through a rant]...figuring out why the hell a two-door wardrobe in the spare room of a country house is considered to be a matter of national concern!"

I'm nearly certain the cha..."

I thought the same thing. Glad it wasn't just me thinking it.

Louise (Lowies) | 44 comments If I remember correctly the (view spoiler) was found near Whitby, the place where Dracula came ashore. I could be misremembering, though.

fezfox | 55 comments I just read the reference to Kirin Island and came here to point it out... and you guys are way ahead of me. Yes it is the island from the Famous Five books. George Kirrin is daughter of Quentin Kirrin and they live in Kirrin Cottage on Kirrin Bay wherein is Kirrin Island, location of many of the Famous Five's adventures.

message 8: by Shad (last edited Dec 11, 2016 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shad (splante) | 268 comments There is a Frankenstein reference in the sequel. It talks about a brilliant young student from the University of Ingolstadt who studied galvanism and chemistry. He and his creation, made from cadavers and lightning, die in the arctic.

Iain Bertram (Iain_Bertram) | 407 comments In Stilleto I have spotted a person who almost certainly is Moriarty and a reference to the Island Of Doctor Moreau. Not sure any of these s counts as spoilers as it gives a flavour of the inspiration.

Fresno Bob | 451 comments I enjoyed the asides as well, little bits of clever

message 11: by Trike (last edited Dec 20, 2016 06:43PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Trike | 4391 comments O'Malley should have been less clever and paid more attention to the basics of storytelling.

message 12: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1479 comments Mod
Trike wrote: "O'Malley should have been less clever and paid more attention to the basics of storytelling."

hatersgonhate

Trike | 4391 comments I ain't no hater. I'm a lover... of good storytelling. :p

Robert Lee (harlock415) | 124 comments Page 263:

...there is always one student who plays the game just the right way, who is always made head of house (yes, they had houses back then. Thank God they disbanded them a couple decades back)

Perhaps a Harry Potter reference?

message 15: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean | 296 comments I think it's more a general British school reference.

message 16: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 2157 comments Mod
It's not just British. School houses are common all over the world.
Mostly the British Commonwealth. But even in parts of the US.

It's just a way of dividing the school into groups for competition. Usually for sports.

In Primary school mine were named after the local rivers (Queen, King , Gordon & Franklin) and in High School after the mountains surrounding my town (Sedgwick, Lyell, Owen & Huxley)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (other topics)
The Midwich Cuckoos (other topics)
Stiletto (other topics)
Five on a Treasure Island (other topics)