Start by marking “Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)” as Want to Read:
Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)

Five on a Treasure Island

(The Famous Five #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  25,209 ratings  ·  1,059 reviews
The very first Famous Five adventure, featuring Julian, Dick, Anne, not forgetting tomboy George and her beloved dog, Timmy! There's a shipwreck off Kirrin Island! But where is the treasure? The Famous Five are on the trail - looking for clues - but they're not alone! Someone else has got the same idea. Time is running out for the Famous Five, who will follow the clues and ...more
Published June 14th 2001 by Hodder (first published 1942)

·  25,209 ratings  ·  1,059 reviews

Start your review of Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
Grace Tjan
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, ebook, jess-shelf
Jess, my 7-year old girl, gives it 5 stars.

Comments while reading:

"Georgina is a girl but she wants to be called 'George'. Is she a tomboy?"

"Who says that boys never cry? The boys in my class cry. A lot!"

"Uncle Quentin is scary!"

"George is like a volcano --- she's always angry or is about to get angry."

"How can a kid own an island?"

"Awww, Tim is so cute!"

"Why can't Anne keep a secret? She's such a baby!"

"I like it when George took an axe and wrecked the bad guys' motorboat. She's so fierce!"

"I w
Archit Ojha
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-we-own

I remember putting this book back down in 2006 because it was "too big" to read. The number of pages of Secret Seven were tiny in comparison to this one.

I was reading a book this summer and not liking the immoral personalities present in there.

Guess, you sometimes need a break from these grown-up melodramas. And who better to go to than Enid?

The treasure hunting and ship wreck brought me back the memories of why I loved the Secret Seven. George and Tim are a delight to watch together. Coming tog
Alan Cotterell
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
I owe this series a lot. This series is the first series I read well over 40 years ago, installing a love of reading that has stayed with me.

After finishing a brilliant but dark novel, I felt that I needed a palette cleanser. This book and the rest of the 21 book series written between 1942-1963, are perfect for this. It is a very quick and enjoyable read. Set in a different era, with no sign of health and safety, or hint of any danger to young children going off for several days on their own.
Juli
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After finishing a rather emotionally taxing suspense novel, I needed a palate cleanser. Usually I turn to children's literature after reading harsh adult fiction. My brain needed something happy and sweet. Recently, I heard about the Famous Five series, a popular series of British books about the adventures of 4 kids and their dog. It sounded like just the thing....so I found a copy of the first book on Open Library. So glad I did! What a delightful and fun book!

The basics....Julian, Dick and An
Mark Lawrence
Jul 03, 2011 rated it liked it
The first volume of the 23 Famous Five books sets up a number of patterns and themes that are returned to many times in the series.

It also establishes some basic groundwork that Enid Blyton later forgot and changed, leading to curious inconsistencies.

For example: Julian, Dick, and Anne discover they have a ten year old cousin they have never met. Georgina, daughter of their father's brother Quentin who lives in Kirrin Bay, a region that their own father has only visited once and can remember ver
Jennifer Simmonds
Sadly I gave all my Famous Five books away during my teenage years. However the other day I realised I missed Julian, George, Dick, Anne and Timmy so wanted a catch up. The only edition I could get on Kindle was this one - and it was a slight disappointment. There are no 'lashings' of anything, no 'mummy and daddy', no 'golly's. It has been rewritten to suit a modern children's audience, and I must say I deeply disagree with this choice. When I was an eight year old and reading these books for t ...more
Janete
Jul 20, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF in the middle of Chapter 9. This book isn't for me because when I was a child, I really didn't like "treasure hunt". I tried to read and listen to the audiobook for improving my English, but this plot seemed to me so outdated. Sorry you all who like this book!
Praj
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one that lured me into the reading world. I still remember it like yesterday; it was during my 4th grade summer vacations. I was down with high fever and was crying for days for missing out on my yearly trip.So to pacify my tantrums , i was gifted this book. Ah! the mysterious world of Julian, Anne, Dick and my favorite George made me forget my pain and i ended up reading the whole series volume in that summer. Thanks Enid! for bringing me to a world of limitless imagination.
Paul E. Morph
Ah, the Famous Five! Talk about your blasts from the past. I haven't read these books since my age was still in single digits.

Re-reading them as an adult, their appeal is their innocence and the joy of recalling how I used to think my friends and I could have adventures just like the Famous Five! This book brought a big smile to my face.

There's another level of enjoyment to be had reading this book as an adult with a twisted sense of humour, as hardly a page goes by without some kind of unintend
Lisa
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I haven't read these books since I was a child when I read them repeatedly and it was such a treat to read this first in the series at a time when I needed a comforting and nostalgic read.
The characters are adorable and I just wish I lived in a world of picnics, adventures, swimming, seaside and sunshine - fantastic!
I bought the first three on kindle for 99p so be prepared for more Famous Five shenanigans!

Graham
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back when I was a kid, Enid Blyton was MY author. Reading her books - and I read dozens of them - taught me, not to read, but to actually ENJOY reading. I remember feeling how it was a magical experience and twenty years later I still feel that when sitting down with a book today.

I've been wanting to catch up with Blyton as an adult, to see how her work stands up, and I finally got my chance with this handsome hardback. I remember that the Famous Five and the Secret Seven weren't my favourite of
✨ kathryn ✨
4.5/5
I read so much Enid Blyton as a child, that when my cousin wanted to do a book swap (he's reading The Ice Monster at the moment) I immediately said yes. And I'm *so* glad I did! I forgot how much I loved this book, the characters, Blyton's way with words, her vivid descriptions. I felt as though I could escape from annoying, often boring, adult life for 183 pages, and it. was. great. Will I be re-reading the rest? Damn right I will!
Pooja
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owns, 100-pages
Sometimes you read a book and wonder how didn't you get to read this one in your childhood while everyone about your age did.

Five on a Treasure Island, you are certainly the first one I read after a considerably long time, but your next parts sure are not going to be.

Here I come.
Kelly-Marie
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Visiting these books again love this author so much they really are the best books. Even if your child is reading or learning to these would be the best books ever full of fun so they are. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Pramod Nair
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had the opportunity to read the whole Famous Five series during my school vacations when i was an eleven year old and 'Five on a Treasure Island' was the first book that introduced me to the magical writings of Enid Blyton. It was during those school vacations that i chanced upon such highly addictive children's series like Secret Seven (from the same author), Nancy Drew, Dana Girls Mysteries, Hardy Boys etc. Hunting down and gobbling up each of those titles was a pure delight.

All the titles i
J
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
I read the whole series (all 21 books) when I was about 13; those were the first books I read in English. I loved them, both the stories, the mystery and the writing. I liked the relationships (that was the time when I dearly wished I had siblings), the companionship and the good old picnicks in the woods/fields :)
Looking back, I don't quite agree with the view of girls/women presented. Still, at that time, while feeling most kinship with Anne and being drawn to Georgina, it didn't matter to me.
Melinda
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was lovely!🥰
Classic oldschool story about summer adventures of brave children and their wonderful dog. ♥️
I’m sure I will read more Famous Five stories!
🛶🏰💰☀️🐶
Rosanna Threakall
I loved this and I knew I would as it's a childhood re-read.

I had forgotten a lot of the details and this book still had me at the edge of my seat at the age of 21. I just love it.

I recommend you read it, even if you think you've outgrown it!

A classic, fun, tense, warming, summery read.

I feel at home reading it.
Aso
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, children
(note: please forgive any grammar mistakes in this review, english is not my first language, i wrote this as a part of my writing practice to learn english)

I awfully jealous toward people who got an opportunity to read this series when they were still a little kid. I found and download this little treasure weeks ago for free from a website that i forgot its name, but my long to-read list prevent me to read this book.

Reading this book make me want to run to the nearest super market and buy a time
Shirley Revill
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, children, kids
Loved the famous five books when I was a child my children and Grandchildren loved them too.
Still have my Enid blyton club badge somewhere. How's that for nostalgia.
Recommended.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
"That doesn't look like a new book," my husband said to me last night when he saw me reading Five on a Treasure Island.

"It was first published in 1942," I told him.

"Maybe it was a book we read when we were kids?" he asked.

"No, I don't think so. Enid Blyton was never big here in America."

Why, I wonder. I can't think of a single reason. Julian, Dick, Anne, and George (as well as the dog, Timmy) are worthy characters. George (really, Georgina) is a girl who doesn't want to be a girl (what girl rea
Manpreet Kaur
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
It felt so good to read this book again... there’s so much I remembered and so much I had forgotten from my childhood.

Yes, it’s a kiddish book... written for children but just to read about the little adventure of the famous five... brought back so many memories and made me enjoy so much!

The food and Tim... all so cool! So glad I read this again!
Sabrina
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved these books as a child and now I get to read them to my Godchild – what a feeling! It was somewhat amusing at how simple the story was, but these books made me start to read, to love adventure and to cherish friendship. For that alone, they deserve 5 stars 😊
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
This was cute but boiiiiiiiiii it did not age well.
J.Aleksandr Wootton
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
series review

Liking Enid Blyton has been unfashionable since long before I was born, due to a combination of deserved criticisms (touches of racism, xenophobia, and sexism in her stories) and perhaps less-deserved criticism (general moral simplicity; touches of snobbery). They're phenomenally successful commercially - often in lightly revised forms nowadays - but have also very often been banned or censored. In fact they were not available in the U.S. when I was a child; but my mother remembered
Olivia
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a good story :)
I enjoyed it very much :D
Kathryn
There was a time when Enid Blyton books were the only books I’d read. I’m glad I grew out of this, although the woman’s written over 600 books, so I’d have been right for a few more years, even if I hadn’t grown out of my obsession!

I know I was reading the Famous Five books when I was in grade 1, and I know that my mum had quite a collection, however the only 2 I can remember now are Five on a Hike Together and Five Go Down to the Sea - perhaps these were favourites that I re-read over and over
Sophie Crane
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really like this book. It makes me want to go on holiday and explore old ruins. It's a really good adventure story and I like the characters. My favourite is George because she is bold and brave and I like her dog Timmy, he's funny. I think girls would like this story most but boys might like it too.
Colleen Stone
I dont know how to apply a star rating to a series of books that encouraged a generation of readers to read ALL the books in a series and then branch out into increasingly complex Series and stand alone books. My reading career began with the Noddy series. Scratch almost any author writing in English, and Enid Blyton (and very probably The Famous Five will be there). On that alone it earns a five.

But read the stories and you find template based plots, stereotypical characters, racism, sexism and
Irma *Irma The Book Whisperer*
... reading with my 9 year old daughter...

I've read all these books way back when I was a child and I've read them numerous times. This book is the second book by this author that my daughter and I have read together. She loved it dearly.
What's the Name o...: Cave on a beach with children [s] 10 119 Sep 16, 2013 02:41AM

• The Secret Seven: Mystery Of The Skull
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • Goodbye Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #12)
  • New Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #7)
  • Well Done, The Naughtiest Girl!
  • Summer Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #8)
  • The Naughtiest Girl Collection 3: Books 8-10 (The Naughtiest Girl Gift Books and Collections)
  • Secrets at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #11)
  • Rosa, Minha Irmã Rosa
  • The Famous Five And The Mystery Of The Emeralds (The Famous Five: Claude Voilier Sequels, #2)
  • Running Wild
  • Lima Sekawan: Bahaya di Tanjung Badai
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • Fun and Games at Malory Towers
  • How I Taught My Grandmother to Read and Other Stories
  • A Taste of Danger (Nancy Drew, #174)
  • The Naughtiest Girl Saves the Day