Start by marking “Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)” as Want to Read:
Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)

Five on a Treasure Island

(The Famous Five #1)

The very first Famous Five adventure, featuring Julian, Dick, Anne, not forgetting tomboy George and her beloved dog, Timmy! There's a shipwreck off Kirrin Island! But where is the treasure? The Famous Five are on the trail - looking for clues - but they're not alone! Someone else has got the same idea. Time is running out for the Famous Five, who will follow the clues and ...more
Published June 14th 2001 by Hodder (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Five on a Treasure Island, please sign up.
Ella Daveson Sorry but you cannot read books on this website, you can order books from this website though!
M. Firmansyah luckily I have got the e book. I will tell you latter the adrress after I upload it.

Grace Tjan
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jess-shelf, ebook, 2010
Jess, my 7-year old girl, gives it 5 stars.

Comments while reading:

"Georgina is a girl but she wants to be called 'George'. Is she a tomboy?"

"Who says that boys never cry? The boys in my class cry. A lot!"

"Uncle Quentin is scary!"

"George is like a volcano --- she's always angry or is about to get angry."

"How can a kid own an island?"

"Awww, Tim is so cute!"

"Why can't Anne keep a secret? She's such a baby!"

"I like it when George took an axe and wrecked the bad guys' motorboat. She's so fierce!"

"I w
Archit Ojha
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-we-own

I remember putting this book back down in 2006 because it was "too big" to read. The number of pages of Secret Seven were tiny in comparison to this one.

I was reading a book this summer and not liking the immoral personalities present in there.

Guess, you sometimes need a break from these grown-up melodramas. And who better to go to than Enid?

The treasure hunting and ship wreck brought me back the memories of why I loved the Secret Seven. George and Tim are a delight to watch together. Coming tog
Juli
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After finishing a rather emotionally taxing suspense novel, I needed a palate cleanser. Usually I turn to children's literature after reading harsh adult fiction. My brain needed something happy and sweet. Recently, I heard about the Famous Five series, a popular series of British books about the adventures of 4 kids and their dog. It sounded like just the thing....so I found a copy of the first book on Open Library. So glad I did! What a delightful and fun book!

The basics....Julian, Dick and An
Jennifer Simmonds
Sadly I gave all my Famous Five books away during my teenage years. However the other day I realised I missed Julian, George, Dick, Anne and Timmy so wanted a catch up. The only edition I could get on Kindle was this one - and it was a slight disappointment. There are no 'lashings' of anything, no 'mummy and daddy', no 'golly's. It has been rewritten to suit a modern children's audience, and I must say I deeply disagree with this choice. When I was an eight year old and reading these books for t ...more
Mark Lawrence
Jul 03, 2011 rated it liked it
The first volume of the 23 Famous Five books sets up a number of patterns and themes that are returned to many times in the series.

It also establishes some basic groundwork that Enid Blyton later forgot and changed, leading to curious inconsistencies.

For example: Julian, Dick, and Anne discover they have a ten year old cousin they have never met. Georgina, daughter of their father's brother Quentin who lives in Kirrin Bay, a region that their own father has only visited once and can remember ver
Praj
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one that lured me into the reading world. I still remember it like yesterday; it was during my 4th grade summer vacations. I was down with high fever and was crying for days for missing out on my yearly trip.So to pacify my tantrums , i was gifted this book. Ah! the mysterious world of Julian, Anne, Dick and my favorite George made me forget my pain and i ended up reading the whole series volume in that summer. Thanks Enid! for bringing me to a world of limitless imagination.
Paul E. Morph
Ah, the Famous Five! Talk about your blasts from the past. I haven't read these books since my age was still in single digits.

Re-reading them as an adult, their appeal is their innocence and the joy of recalling how I used to think my friends and I could have adventures just like the Famous Five! This book brought a big smile to my face.

There's another level of enjoyment to be had reading this book as an adult with a twisted sense of humour, as hardly a page goes by without some kind of unintend
Kelly-Marie
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Visiting these books again love this author so much they really are the best books. Even if your child is reading or learning to these would be the best books ever full of fun so they are. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Graham
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Back when I was a kid, Enid Blyton was MY author. Reading her books - and I read dozens of them - taught me, not to read, but to actually ENJOY reading. I remember feeling how it was a magical experience and twenty years later I still feel that when sitting down with a book today.

I've been wanting to catch up with Blyton as an adult, to see how her work stands up, and I finally got my chance with this handsome hardback. I remember that the Famous Five and the Secret Seven weren't my favourite of
Pooja
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owns, 100-pages
Sometimes you read a book and wonder how didn't you get to read this one in your childhood while everyone about your age did.

Five on a Treasure Island, you are certainly the first one I read after a considerably long time, but your next parts sure are not going to be.

Here I come.
✨ kathryn ✨
4.5/5
I read so much Enid Blyton as a child, that when my cousin wanted to do a book swap (he's reading The Ice Monster at the moment) I immediately said yes. And I'm *so* glad I did! I forgot how much I loved this book, the characters, Blyton's way with words, her vivid descriptions. I felt as though I could escape from annoying, often boring, adult life for 183 pages, and it. was. great. Will I be re-reading the rest? Damn right I will!
Pramod Nair
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had the opportunity to read the whole Famous Five series during my school vacations when i was an eleven year old and 'Five on a Treasure Island' was the first book that introduced me to the magical writings of Enid Blyton. It was during those school vacations that i chanced upon such highly addictive children's series like Secret Seven (from the same author), Nancy Drew, Dana Girls Mysteries, Hardy Boys etc. Hunting down and gobbling up each of those titles was a pure delight.

All the titles i
J
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
I read the whole series (all 21 books) when I was about 13; those were the first books I read in English. I loved them, both the stories, the mystery and the writing. I liked the relationships (that was the time when I dearly wished I had siblings), the companionship and the good old picnicks in the woods/fields :)
Looking back, I don't quite agree with the view of girls/women presented. Still, at that time, while feeling most kinship with Anne and being drawn to Georgina, it didn't matter to me.
Rosanna Threakall
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this and I knew I would as it's a childhood re-read.

I had forgotten a lot of the details and this book still had me at the edge of my seat at the age of 21. I just love it.

I recommend you read it, even if you think you've outgrown it!

A classic, fun, tense, warming, summery read.

I feel at home reading it.
Aso
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, children
(note: please forgive any grammar mistakes in this review, english is not my first language, i wrote this as a part of my writing practice to learn english)

I awfully jealous toward people who got an opportunity to read this series when they were still a little kid. I found and download this little treasure weeks ago for free from a website that i forgot its name, but my long to-read list prevent me to read this book.

Reading this book make me want to run to the nearest super market and buy a time
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
"That doesn't look like a new book," my husband said to me last night when he saw me reading Five on a Treasure Island.

"It was first published in 1942," I told him.

"Maybe it was a book we read when we were kids?" he asked.

"No, I don't think so. Enid Blyton was never big here in America."

Why, I wonder. I can't think of a single reason. Julian, Dick, Anne, and George (as well as the dog, Timmy) are worthy characters. George (really, Georgina) is a girl who doesn't want to be a girl (what girl rea
Olivia McMullan
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a good story :)
I enjoyed it very much :D
Irma
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
... reading with my 9 year old daughter...

I've read all these books way back when I was a child and I've read them numerous times. This book is the second book by this author that my daughter and I have read together. She loved it dearly.
Kathryn
There was a time when Enid Blyton books were the only books I’d read. I’m glad I grew out of this, although the woman’s written over 600 books, so I’d have been right for a few more years, even if I hadn’t grown out of my obsession!

I know I was reading the Famous Five books when I was in grade 1, and I know that my mum had quite a collection, however the only 2 I can remember now are Five on a Hike Together and Five Go Down to the Sea - perhaps these were favourites that I re-read over and over
Manpreet Kaur
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
It felt so good to read this book again... there’s so much I remembered and so much I had forgotten from my childhood.

Yes, it’s a kiddish book... written for children but just to read about the little adventure of the famous five... brought back so many memories and made me enjoy so much!

The food and Tim... all so cool! So glad I read this again!
Sophie Crane
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. It makes me want to go on holiday and explore old ruins. It's a really good adventure story and I like the characters. My favourite is George because she is bold and brave and I like her dog Timmy, he's funny. I think girls would like this story most but boys might like it too.
Colleen Stone
I dont know how to apply a star rating to a series of books that encouraged a generation of readers to read ALL the books in a series and then branch out into increasingly complex Series and stand alone books. My reading career began with the Noddy series. Scratch almost any author writing in English, and Enid Blyton (and very probably The Famous Five will be there). On that alone it earns a five.

But read the stories and you find template based plots, stereotypical characters, racism, sexism and
Shirley Revill
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, children, kids
Loved the famous five books when I was a child my children and Grandchildren loved them too.
Still have my Enid blyton club badge somewhere. How's that for nostalgia.
Recommended.
Manda
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
It’s fair to say I devoured Enid Blyton books with a passion as a kid. Now having read again the first in my favourite series - The Famous Five - it’s odd to reflect back.

For one thing, the gender stereotypes are truly appalling, and surely simply wouldn’t be allowed today. But I read these books in the 1970s and it’s a real reminder of how our opinions on such things have changed significantly.

But on the positive side, the gumption and free-range attitude of the kids is a wonderful aspect of
Anna
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
The Five books are always my favorites. They were some of my first novels I enjoyed reading. Got them all completed in no time long long time ago. Got every piece of the whole series as my precious collection, yet unfortunately I lost them in a way or so. They ain't cheap to get for sure, if you wish to collect them again in recent days. So, I guess I really should give up that idea. I am trying to make my consolation through ebook. Not getting the same joy from reading a real book, but hey... i ...more
Chaitra
Edited 8/22/17.

A friend asked me about Enid Blyton, and I remembered reading this book recently and being uncomfortable with its character portrayals. So here I was looking at my review, and honestly, it's probably one of the worst reviews I've ever written. (*Hint: Some of it was about George's gender identity, and I wanted to say something I was convinced Blyton didn't do well, but it came out being completely tone deaf. So I'm no good at gender issues either, mercifully I'm not a published au
Luffy
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pretty-good, children
This classic has an unexpected quality that caught me unawares. The childish and outdated parts consist almost entirely of the direct speech of children and adults. The early chapters and the lull before the adventure arrives are well crafted. The first day of reading was tinged with nostalgia. Then the novelty wore off, and I began to be dismissive. But when the last third "act" came, the enjoyment of this book was heightened. Most stories, especially in contemporary adult novels and movies, d ...more
Michele Cooper
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this series as a child - the characters, the adventures, the mysteries to solve and the food was fascinating to someone growing up away from England. But I recently re-read them with my children and found them sadly dated. My young boys liked the plots but the attitudes and values of the characters were vastly different to theirs today.
Asghar Abbas
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Pure magic, still love it to this day. Still remember it to this day.
I think it is timeless, even anyone reading this today wouldn't feel that the story is set in the mid 1940s.

particularly the end was thrilling.
Sunshine
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Adventure, peril and a jolly good jape!
What's the Name o...: Cave on a beach with children [s] 10 119 Sep 16, 2013 02:41AM

• The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • Lima Sekawan: Bahaya di Tanjung Badai
  • The Mystery of the Dead Man's Riddle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #22)
  • Amazon Adventure
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • O Olhar do Dragão
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • Än lever Emil i Lönneberga
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192

The Famous Five (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
  • Five Go Off in a Caravan
  • Five on Kirrin Island Again (Famous Five, #6)
  • Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five, #7)
  • Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
  • Five Fall Into Adventure (Famous Five, #9)
  • Five on a Hike Together (Famous Five, #10)
  • Five Have a Wonderful Time (Famous Five, #11)
“It wasn't a bit of good fighting grown-ups. They could do exactly as they liked.” 19 likes
“I believe anyone could light a cigarette from the sparks that fly from your eyes!” 3 likes