The Rainbow Rowell Fan Group discussion

Ask Rainbow your question here!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 575) (575 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim | 8 comments Mod
Ask Rainbow your question here!

message 2: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) | 1 comments Hi! I read an egalley of Landline and absolutely loved it! I'm interested to know what the main influence for the 'magic phone' aspect of the novel was? =)

message 3: by Carly (last edited May 29, 2014 12:43PM) (new)

Carly | 1 comments Hi Rainbow! Love your books! You have both adult and YA novels - which type do you prefer writing and what makes you branch out to both genres?

message 4: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Clark | 1 comments Hi Rainbow,

Huge fan, so excited you're answering questions. Could you share some tips on how you switch between writing YA characters (i.e. teens) to writing older characters (i.e. in their twenties).

Thanks!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (smcarp) | 2 comments Hello there, Rainbow! Your novels are so inspiring to me! I was wondering which novels inspire you the most when writing...

Thanks and please keep writing! =)

-Sarah
http://nobodyputssarahinthecorner.com

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie  (JackieJorgenson) Hi Rainbow,

What are some characters you wrote who were based off of real people you know?

Thanks!

-Jackie

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate Lansing (klansing) | 1 comments Hi Rainbow! One thing I especially love about your books is how real all of your characters seem. What goes into creating such compelling and beautifully flawed characters? Thanks!

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate I. Foley (themagicviolinist) | 4 comments Hi Rainbow! :) I am a HUGE fan of yours. Eleanor & Park is one of my absolute favorite books!

Speaking of E&P, I loved your ending. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. And though I know you won't share what they are, I wanted to ask you this: Did you know from the beginning what the three words were going to be, or did it just sort of happen as you wrote it?

message 9: by Ashrakat (new)

Ashrakat Deyab (ashfire) | 2 comments Hi Rainbow! You're especially renowned for your ability to write both tragic and comedic books. I was wondering which you personally enjoy writing more?

Deanna (A Novel Glimpse) (anovelglimpse) | 3 comments I read Landline through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway and absolutely loved it. My favorite chapter had to be Neal's. I loved hearing some of his perspective. What made you decide to add his point of view for one chapter when the rest was from Georgie's point of view?

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Who would you cast in a movie version of your books?

Also, thank you for writing books with such wonderful dialogue. It's an amazing skill that you have honed to absolute perfection.

message 12: by Ashrakat (new)

Ashrakat Deyab (ashfire) | 2 comments Hi! I'm an absolute fan of your novel, Eleanor and Park. Is there a reason the setting of the book is in the 1980's?

message 13: by Chynna Marilyn (new)

Chynna Marilyn (chynnalovesbooks) | 1 comments hey, I don't mean to spoil this for other if they haven't read Eleanor and park but at the end I was wondering what the three word were, I was thing "I love you" and my father believes it was "we just stopped" I'd love to know!(:

and also what have you the idea of writing Landline? like why did you decide to right something that kind of bends logic? :P

- a huge fan with a few questions.

message 14: by Fatma (new)

Fatma (ScarletAzriel) | 1 comments Hi i read your other 3 books and i wanted to ask how you decide if its Ya or adult, I felt like attachments could have been YA novel and not an adult one, is it because the characters are older. Is landline a adult book because of the characters ages or is there something in it that isn't for teens

message 15: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (masumi768) | 1 comments Hi Rainbow! Love all your books and can't wait for Landline! My question is about Fangirl. Why did you go with Harry Potter type fan fiction?

message 16: by Sarlizgd (new)

Sarlizgd | 1 comments You have written several books that have more than one narrator. Do you find that it is easier to tell a story using different perspectives? How do you decide which narrator is going to tell a certain part of the story?

message 17: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Wolf (betsywolf) | 1 comments Rainbow, I recommend your books to friends all the time and I am so excited to read Landline. One of my favorite things about reading your books is that it feels like you are a down to earth person who just really gets human emotion and somehow captures in words the things we think and feel in a unique way. How has your life changed since becoming such a well-loved author? Do you have any regrets in any of your books thus far?

message 18: by Vannessa (new)

Vannessa | 1 comments Hello Rainbow!

I had a question regarding writing habits. When you're writing do you write in isolation. Meaning you don't read books, watch TV, or movies while you're working on a book. Or do you allow for a little break and watch movies, TV shows etc? I've loved all your books. Attachment was so great can't wait to read your next adult novel!

message 19: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor | 1 comments Hi Rainbow! Huge fan of your books!! Which book that you have written, is your favorite? (Oh and do you watch Sherlock? If so whose your Favorite character?)

message 20: by Estefany (new)

Estefany (EsteVas) Hi, Rainbow.

I really loved Eleanor & Park, so I want to know what was your inspiration for this book?

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Bates (youngadultescent) | 1 comments Technology seems to play a large role in all of your books. If you could bring back one outdated piece of technology (i.e. beepers or rotary phones) or make real a fictional one (i.e. Star Trek's transporter), which would you choose?

message 22: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (faeriefille) | 1 comments I often comment that reading dialogue between your female characters is, for me, like rereading emails and texts between my girlfriends and me - specifically the emails back and forth in Attachments and the dialogue between Cath and her sister and her roommate in Fangirl. To be so authentic with your conversations, do you immerse in the characters or draw on your own relationships?

message 23: by Cindy ♥ (new)

Cindy ♥ My question is would you rather work really hard on a story that you don't love, or keep trying new ideas until you do find the one that sticks.

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (2littleladies) | 1 comments Hi Rainbow!
I'm curious to know if anyone in your personal life inspired you to write Levi? I also would love to know if a Pumpkin Mocha Breve is your go-to Starbucks concoction in the fall and winter months?

message 25: by Erin (new)

Erin Cataldi (ecataldi) Big fan of yours! What was your favorite book as a teen and what is your favorite book now?

message 26: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 2 comments Hi Rainbow! I love all your books, especially Fangirl. I know you've posted stuff about this, but are there any updates on whether you're gonna write Simon Snow books?

message 27: by Jarrin (new)

Jarrin (Buttonpop) Hi Rainbow!

I was just wondering...what are some tips you would give to an aspiring writer?

Thanks!

message 28: by Adira (new)

Adira (IntrovertInterrupted) | 1 comments Hello Rainbow! I've noticed in your books that you have an amazing sense of authenticity when creating the atmosphere of a decade (the 80's in Eleanor & Park; the 90's in Attachments; & the mass appeal of fangirling from the 00's/Harry Potter era). How do you manage to create this solid atmosphere? Is it through extensive research or just plain imagination?

Thank you in advance for answering my question and thank you for the creation of your books.

message 29: by Saloni (new)

Saloni (salpal77) | 1 comments Hi Rainbow! I'm a huge fan of all of your books! My favorite is definitely Fangirl! My question is which types of books, adult or YA, you enjoy writing more?

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann z (ann28z) | 1 comments Hi Rainbow!

I'm curious... How do you feel about Eleanor & Park as movie?

message 31: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Meza (extremedamage) | 1 comments Hi! :)
I read a couple of your books, and I Like your writting style... it's pretty cool.

I was wondering if "Landline" will be translated into spanish for your readers in Spain and Latin America, and what editorial group will be on it.

message 32: by Christina (new)

Christina Ochoa | 1 comments Good morning or afternoon, depending on where you are and what time you're reading this :) I fell in love with Eleanor and Park last summer and read it when I was out of the country in a matter of two days. It was really lovely and I fell in love with the characters. Where did the inspiration for this book come from? And do you want to see it on the big screen in the near future?
Thank you, Christina.

message 33: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (AlexLivier) | 1 comments Hello Rainbow! Always a pleasure to talk to you :D Like most people here, I'm also a huge fan of yours and am looking forward to reading Landline!

All the questions listed are great questions and it's hard to follow up after those... but my question is this, how do you know when you've reached the end of your story? At what point do you feel like "yes, these characters have said all they can and the story is done"?

As a writer (one who will most likely write series novels) it's hard to figure out when a story is done, when to let it end. Even though you don't write series novels (but you should consider writing a sequel to E&P *nudge nudge*), it still gives me shivers that you can find just the right way to end your stories.

So that's my question for you!

Thank you!

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara (A Gingerly Review) (agingerlyreview) | 1 comments Hello!

When it comes to reading, where is your favorite place to curl up with a good book and why?

Thank you!

message 35: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adrienne_s) Eleanor & Park was easily one of the best YA books I read, but my library categorizes it as adult fiction, so it appears as an adult book in the catalog, not a teen book. What is your opinion on that?

message 36: by Words for Worms (new)

Words for Worms Katie (wordsforworms) | 1 comments Hi Rainbow!
I was just having a conversation with some friends today about Midwestern cuisine (I'm a Midwestern gal, too. Illinois, holla!) I haven't read Landline yet, but jumped in on a Twitter chat to explain to someone what "puppy chow" was. I swear I have a point. The POINT is, do you feel like being from the land o' cornfields has been a major influence on your writing? Do you think you'd ever set a book in a different locale?

message 37: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Bradshaw I have loved your books, especially Eleanor & Park. I graduated HS in 1986 and it feels like you wrote that book for me! I loved every song you referenced and wonder what songs inspire you when you write? The beginning of Love Will Tear Us Apart Is awesome and I have a new appreciation for since this book.

message 38: by Laila (new)

Laila Madan (Lailamg) Hi Rainbow !
Your books have the cutest cover designs! Do you design the covers yourself ? Can you talk about the tools that you use and the process ?

Love your books ! xo

message 39: by Ronielle (new)

Ronielle I love that you seem to be spending your time equally between adult and YA novels. I am interested to learn what are some of the different ways you approach writing your 'adult' novels versus your 'young adult' novels. Thank you!

message 40: by Tunee (new)

Tunee | 1 comments Hi Rainbow! It looks like everyone has covered the writing questions. I want to know the basic stuff. Who is your favorite author? What is your favorite food? What is your ultimate favorite movie/TV show?
And finally, what do you do for fun when you're not writing?

Thanks! And can't wait to read Landline. I've read all your books and love them all!

message 41: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 1 comments Rainbow, your writing brings me joy, you have a gift! My question is: It's often hard for me to tell the difference between YA and adult books. How are Eleanor & Park, and Landline different in that regard? Many Blessings for your continued writing, RM

message 42: by Devan (new)

Devan | 2 comments Hey Rainbow! I find your books captivating and just flat out great! Where did you get your inspiration for this book? And is this one of the books your most proud of?

message 43: by Devan (new)

Devan | 2 comments -Devan

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Hiya Rainbow!

As an aspiring author, I look up to you as a role model but am also daunted by how good your books are. My question is double-barrelled: how much time and effort do you put into each novel, and how much gets changed during the editing process?

Thank you—you're an inspiration!
-Blake.

message 45: by Rahma (new)

Rahma MJ (rahma_mj) Hi Rainbow! I am a huge fan, What genre of books do you like to read (is it the same as what you write?), and do you have a particular favorite novel at the moment? Why?
Thank you!

message 46: by Malena (new)

Malena Romano (ButDoctorWhat) | 1 comments Hi Rainbow!
I find that sadly Eleanor is one of the few female main characters in YA these days that isn't super skinny and flawless, How do you feel about this lack of realism for female characters in YA? Don think it contributes to the already huge pressure in teenage girls to have a certain body type?

message 47: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 1 comments Hi!

I loved Eleanor and Park and am such a fan of Fangirl. (Hardy har har...) I have three questions: What is your favorite piece of dialogue or favorite paragraph you've written for one of your books? And if you could give any piece of advice your readers, what would it be? Life advice, writing advice, etc. Final question: Would you rather fight one hundred duck sized horses or one horse sized duck?

Thanks so much!

message 48: by Angela2BPecked (new)

Angela2BPecked | 3 comments I've read Fangirl, Eleanor & Park, and Attachments and love them all.

Pssst ... I without shame admit I developed a crush on Lincoln O'Neill in Attachments.

Q: What was your inspiration for all of your unique characters, are they loosely based on people you've encountered in your lifetime?

message 49: by Esmeralda (new)

Esmeralda | 1 comments Hi rainbow! I'm a huge fan of your books and absolutely adored e&p & Fangirl! How is your process if making such brilliant books?

message 50: by Belen (new)

Belen (Rojaswife) | 1 comments This has probably been asked to you a million times, so here's a million and one: Eleanor & Park I absolutely loved, and with most of my fav characters I always love to have more of them, is there a chance for a book 2 or some type of continuation story with them, maybe years into their future?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12