Book Lair discussion

Monthly Reads > August 2016

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melaslithos (last edited Aug 01, 2016 02:30AM) (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments It's time for the August thread! What are your plans for this month?

For my part, I'll go on readings those I didn't have time to read last month, and more. Here's the plan:

La femme à la veste verte contes extraordinaires du Pavillon du Loisir by Songling Pu Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein Dear Death by Sasenarine Persaud Room by Emma Donoghue Le restaurant de l'amour retrouvé by Ito Ogawa South China Morning Blues by Ray Hecht Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih The Spider's House by Paul Bowles

Once again, that's an ambitious list. But I have long train rides and holidays by the beach this month, so I hope I'll be able to read a lot! Also, a few of those are quite short reads. I already finished La femme à la veste verte : contes extraordinaires du Pavillon du Loisir and read more than half of Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl.

message 2: by Karen M (last edited Aug 04, 2016 04:41PM) (new)

Karen M Right now I'm reading Baby Doll
Baby Doll by Hollie Overton
I think Shades of Earl Grey will be next.

Edit: Currently reading The Daughter of Time which is a group read and then I'm reading The Secret Ways of Perfume and then Shades of Earl Grey.

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I'm in the middle of the audio Gray Mountain and reading the ebook Ink and Bone I need to read Ella Enchanted for my RL book group and want to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Omnibus Slipcase, Insomnia. A couple of those are rereads (the Kings), but also super long, so I may not get through them all.

message 4: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments I need to get my hands on the new HP too!

message 5: by Ana (new)

Ana (anaslair) | 2312 comments Mod
Thank you for creating the topic Melas, work has kept me away from reading and the computer in general. I hope you read Room, looking forward to reading your review!

message 6: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Ana wrote: "Thank you for creating the topic Melas, work has kept me away from reading and the computer in general. I hope you read Room, looking forward to reading your review!"

I just finished Room last night. And wow. I think I'll need a little bit of time before I write the review, I need time to gather my thoughts on this pretty intense story.

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I loved Room! I loved the movie too, despite it's differences. I felt the book was from HIS POV and the movie was more omniscient.

message 8: by Ana (new)

Yes! I completely agree with Kandice. And yep Melas, pretty intense, let us know when you post it!

Oh and feel free to post your thoughts in the topic at Book Discussions: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Gavin (last edited Aug 06, 2016 06:19AM) (new)

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 44 comments Currently reading Sewer, Gas and Electric The Public Works Trilogy by Matt Ruff , which is very clever and entertaining. Also reading a story here and there from Dreams Underfoot (Newford, #1) by Charles de Lint . The next few up on my nightstand are:

The Organ Grinders
Fender Benders
Dominion
The Haunted Air
Moon Called

Should be able to get through at least three of them before month's end.

message 11: by Karen M (last edited Aug 06, 2016 05:39PM) (new)

Karen M Gavin wrote: "Cabal
I Am Legend
Spice and Wolf, Vol. 16
Rainbow Valley
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Superman: Red Son

Ho..."

Read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? 1 last year. Very different than the movie but equally as good. Oh and thanks for reading I Am Legend. I didn't realize it was a book. Added to my wish list.

message 12: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Do Androids is such a good book! I really loved Blade Runner, but DADoES seemed almost smarter. I hope you like it. It's always so strange ot me that they take Dick's books and make these action movies.

message 13: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments I haven't seen the movie (although I should, I had a lot of people saying to me that Shanghai made them think of Blade Runner), but the book is fantastic.

message 14: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 110 comments I wanted to read the book before watching the movie.

message 15: by Ana (new)

I just requested Dark Matter by Blake Crouch Dark Matter from Blogging for Books and will be reading it as soon as I finish my current book. I could not get it from Netgalley so I am pretty excited, it sounds fun!

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ana wrote: "I just requested Dark Matter by Blake Crouch Dark Matter from Blogging for Books and will be reading it as soon as I finish my current book. I could not get it from Netgalley so I am pretty ex..."

I want to read that and can't wait to hear what you think.

message 17: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Melaslithos wrote: "I need to get my hands on the new HP too!"

I finally got my copy yesterday evening! I arrived back home around midnight, after a long trip, so I haven't started it, but I'll certainly dig in tonight !

message 18: by Ana (new)

Awesome, I would do a buddy read but you guys would have to wait ages, I am still reading the same book I was last month v.v

message 19: by Karen M (last edited Aug 13, 2016 03:27PM) (new)

Karen M I don't usually plan my book list beyond one or two books but this month has gotten strange. I'm reading The Secret Ways of Perfume and the pile of books that got too big for the nightstand now consists of:
In the Dark Places by Peter Robinson
An Unmarked Grave by Charles Todd
The Pharm House: A Harding Family Story by Bill Powers
The Life and Times of Persimmon Wilson by Nancy Peacock
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson

The last may move up the list since that's for my ftf book club.

message 20: by Melaslithos (last edited Aug 30, 2016 09:20PM) (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Books I read this month (it started more or less according to plan, than deviated...):

Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein La femme à la veste verte contes extraordinaires du Pavillon du Loisir by Songling Pu Room by Emma Donoghue Shanghai Shikumen 上海里弄文化地图 石库门 by Jiang Qingging Dear Death by Sasenarine Persaud South China Morning Blues by Ray Hecht Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8) by J.K. Rowling The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

Now I need to think about my reading list for the coming month!

message 21: by Ana (new)

Wowza, what a great haul, Melas! Well done! :D
I couldn't find your review for Room, what did you think of it?
Hope you will post your thoughts in Book Discussion! The topic is here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

As for myself, I read the following:

Writers of the Future Volume 31 by L. Ron Hubbard Dark Matter by Blake Crouch Our Future Good by T.J. Kirby Made for You by Melissa Marr

Our Future Good was an audiobook which was nice for a change. My favourite of the month was definitely Made for You.

message 22: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Ana wrote: "Wowza, what a great haul, Melas! Well done! :D
I couldn't find your review for Room, what did you think of it?
Hope you will post your thoughts in Book Discussion! The topic is here: https://www.go..."

I'm super late on all my reviews... I have thoughts scribbled down here and there, but not enough time lately to write things down properly. I'll try to do it sometime soon!

message 23: by Ana (new)

Alright, I hope you will let me know when you do, I am very curious :)