YA LGBT Books discussion

Book Related Banter > Library List Recommendations - redux - What books do you love?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Jul 26, 2016 07:24AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments If a teen library comes into money for a YA LGBTQ collection... What titles should they buy/request?

We have a thread in the Book Related Banter file for recommendations to YA libraries for LGBTQ books - it's a great list but it's very long by now. Plus most of it was done several years ago, and particularly in the BTQ range we have a bunch of new good choices.

So I want to do another list but to keep it short:

Please list up to:
2 books with gay MCs
2 books with lesbian MCs
4 books with MCs who are BTQIAPP+
2 books of any LGBTQ that are clearly also genre (fantasy, historical, SciFi, mystery)
(Your first 8 can also be genre or not, but here's a chance to add 2, because I love books that are not just about being LGBTQ))

That's it. Your top 10 max. Preferably books that come in paper, but don't feel obliged to go track that down.
*bwahhaha - making you choose just 2... :D *

Go...

message 3: by Rez (last edited Jul 27, 2016 04:01PM) (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 596 comments *shakes fist at list limitation* CURSES!
Here's a template (remove the asterisks):(view spoiler)
Gay MCs:
The Great American Whatever
The Red Sheet

Lesbian MCs:
(Can't remember any right now, be back later to finish)

BTQ+
Grasshopper Jungle
The Art of Being Normal
Pantomime
A + E 4ever (also Genre; Graphic Novel)

Genre
The Star Host (Science Fiction)
Willful Machines (Speculative Fiction)

message 4: by Kaje (last edited Jul 27, 2016 10:17PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Thanks for the picks and the template Rez <3

message 5: by Clarke (last edited Jul 28, 2016 04:43PM) (new)

Clarke Daniels | 1 comments Gay MCs:
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
I'll Give You the Sun

Lesbian MCs:
Afterworlds
The Miseducation of Cameron Post

BTQ+:
Ash (Fantasy, female MC)
Beauty Queens (lesbian, trans, and not-labeled-bisexual MCs)

Genre:
Proxy (Science Fiction gay MC)
Carry On (Fantasy--this is unapologetically Harry Potter fanfiction but it's kind of brilliant also gay MC)

Books I don't recommend:
Almost Perfect (the most transphobic/homophobic queer book I know of)
Grasshopper Jungle (there's nothing actually wrong with this book apart from the main character being a horrible person. I just don't like it.)

message 6: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments While Rez has Grasshopper Jungle on their top recommended list... that's why I want all the different input. It's a reading rainbow and what one person loves another may not.

Thanks for the list Anna - I really need to get to reading The Miseducation of Cameron Post. I've seen a lot of recommendations for it.

message 8: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments <3 Thanks for the list.

message 9: by CR (new)

CR Daylex (carryingabyss) | 16 comments Here's mine! All 2016 because I figure a lot of libraries already have many of the older titles. ^^

Gay
And I Darken (The Conquerors Saga #1) by Kiersten White
Jerkbait by Mia Siegert

Lesbian
My Year Zero by Rachel Gold
South of Sunshine by Dana Elmendorf

BTQ+ plus
If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
Being Jazz My Life as a (Transgender) Teen by Jazz Jennings

Genre
We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Unicorn Tracks by Julia Ember
The Abyss Surrounds Us (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #1) by Emily Skrutskie

message 10: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Very cool - good to have the new stuff.

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments Gay MCs:
Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg
Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You by Peter Cameron

Lesbian MCs:
Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden
The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

BTQ:
None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio
What We Left Behind by Robin Talley
The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson
Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin (technically adult, but has teen narrator and appropriate for teens)

Genre:
Lizard Radio by Pat Schmatz
The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow

message 12: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Thanks Rainbowheart <3

message 13: by Stef (new)

Stef Rozitis | 5 comments I don't know that I read enough YA to know a lot of good ones but

Any genre: speculative
The Chimes by Anna Smaill A very beautiful romance develops between two young men

I am going to be looking at everyone's lesbian recommendations however not only because I'm a lesbain myself but more so because any YA book that doesn't have the irritating male love interest has to be a good thing, right?

message 14: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments LOL - I find them less irritating when the other character is also a guy, or bi... But I'm going to look at people's non-gay-guy recs too; it's getting easier to find good LBTQ YA but still a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for the link to "The Chimes" - on my TBR now.

message 15: by Matthew (new)

Matthew  | 2 comments books with gay MCs

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
Willful Machines by Tim Floreen

Books of any BTQIAPP

The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare

books of any LGBTQ Genre

Hero by Perry Moore
Secret (Elemental, #4) by Brigid Kemmerer

message 16: by Kaje (last edited Aug 01, 2016 04:26PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Thanks Matt.

Can "Secret" be read as a stand alone?

message 17: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Favorite gay mc's--gotta tell you I love these boys!
Tales from Foster High

Ok. I'll be back to add. Lol

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Paulsen Gay MCs:
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Contemporary)
Fan Art (Contemporary)

Lesbian MCs:
Everything Leads to You (Contemporary)
Forgive Me If I've Told You This Before (Contemporary)

BTQ+:
Adaptation (Sci Fi)
Proxy (Sci Fi/Dystopian)
I also second Beautiful Music for Ugly Children!

Genre:
Ascension - not technically YA, but SO good and certainly appropriate for YA readers (Sci Fi/Space Opera, Lesbian MC)
Serenity Rose: 10 Awkward Years (Fantasy/Graphic Novel, Lesbian MC)

And I also thought I'd add some books I would not recommend:
What We Left Behind (really awful transphobia, lesbophobia, etc etc - generally terrible)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (mostly just for the lesbophobia, though I've heard it has other problems too)
The Porcupine of Truth (this has a happy ending, but the main character is pretty gross towards his lesbian friend)
Boyfriends with Girlfriends (I don't even remember what I didn't like about this book, but I'm pretty sure it was racist?)
I am J (again with the lesbophobia. This is an extremely common problem with a lot of LGBT books, especially those with trans or gay MCs.)

message 19: by Yahaira (new)

Yahaira Elizabeth wrote: "Gay MCs:
[book:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe"

That book is one of my absolute favorites.

message 20: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Elizabeth wrote: "Gay MCs:
[book:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the (Contem..."

Yahaira wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Gay MCs:
[book:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe"

That book is one of my absolute favorites."

Adding it to my to-read list! :)

message 21: by Matthew (new)

Matthew  | 2 comments Kaje wrote: "Thanks Matt.

Can "Secret" be read as a stand alone?"

I suppose you could but you'd lose a lot of the background info. The gay character is in the whole series but Secret is the book that focuses on him (Each book is about a different brother while the other brothers are supporting characters). I'd recommend the entire series. It's one of my faves.

message 22: by Marina (last edited Aug 03, 2016 09:32PM) (new)

Marina Costa (cowny) | 2 comments Here's my contribution!

Gay MCs:
Carry On (the best fanfic book ever)
Openly Straight

Lesbian MCs:

Colorblind (it isn't the best of all, but it's predictable in a comforting way)

The Big Lie

BTQ+:

Unfortunately I'm short on recommendations on this ): But I'm gonna check all the books people mentioned

Genre:

The Raven Cycle (seriously, GUYS, if I could only recommend one series for you to read, it'd be THE ONE. It's a fantasy YA, has a kind of eerie vibe, witty and well built main characters, and leaves you aching for more by the end of it. Just. Please. Read it.)

Captive Prince (Fantasy) ops. Sorry everyone.

Foxhole Court (Sports. It has some heavy issues as drug abuse, violence, and rape, but truste me, it's an YA. I'll admit to do not like very much the first 2 volumes, but i think the 3rd is a great one; there's a lot of character development to most characters, and I couldn't stop reading until I finished the end. Plus, it's very cheap!).

message 23: by Kaje (last edited Oct 04, 2018 08:17PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Marina wrote: "Here's my contribution!

..."

...Adding The Raven Boys to my TBR. Thanks for the list.

Do you think Captive Prince can be considered YA? I admit to not having read it, but hearing it as dark and maybe erotic?

Edited to add - Lots and lots of content warnings for Foxhole Court - I really enjoyed the read, very fan-fic angsty and the sex stays YA, but check out trigger warnings if you have concerns. (abuse, drugs, etc.)

message 24: by Marina (last edited Aug 03, 2016 09:33PM) (new)

Marina Costa (cowny) | 2 comments Kaje wrote: "Marina wrote: "Here's my contribution!

..."

...Adding The Raven Boys to my TBR. Thanks for the list.

Do you think Captive Prince can be considered YA? I admit to not having read ..."

Oh my God, you're totally right. I think I suffered a one-second stroke right there when I put Captive Prince (probably cause it's one of my favorites).

I edited my comment to fix that mistake :) and added another one in CP's place (despite not being YA, though, I'd still recommend it <3)

Gina Marie ~books are my drug of choice~ | 5 comments A favorite of mine is Play Me, I'm Yours by Madison Parker Play Me, I'm Yours I've taken it out of my local library multiple times.
The MC is gay. It is a great story that all ya readers can relate to, especial those who feel like they don't quite fit in anywhere, gay or straight.

message 26: by Kiana (last edited Aug 16, 2016 08:00PM) (new)

Kiana Russell | 2 comments Confessions of a Teenager This one! It's a story A LOT of LGBTQIA members can relate to!

message 27: by Dean (new)

Dean Pettit (deanerrific) | 1 comments I don't know if these have been mentioned yet but

Gay:
Openly Straight

Lesbian:
Keeping you a secret

Transgender:
The art of being normal

I really enjoyed all of these!

message 28: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Thanks for the list Dean <3

message 29: by Fay (new)

Fay (faygoodreadscom) | 8 comments I fell in love with reading when i first read Proxy by Alex London, further deepened by it's sequel, Guardian.

I also love The Torch Keeper series by Steven Dos Santos. Extremely so.

My new favorite is the Outlier series(incomplete) by Daryl Banner.

message 30: by Kaje (new)

message 31: by Estella (new)

Estella | 1 comments Ahh, this question excites me :)))
2 books with gay MCs:
1. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe! (one of my favorite novels of all time)
2. Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz (does a relationship between a fish-boy hybrid and a teenaged boy count?)
also, more happy than not (couldn't help myself)
2 books with lesbian MCs:
1. Keeping You a Secret (very predictable but very adorable & important)
2. Girl Walking Backwards (not well-known at all, tragic, and heavy emphasis on mental health)
2 books with MCs who are BTQIAPP+
1. Grasshopper Jungle (i didn't like it, but the main character is torn between his best friend, a boy, and his current girlfriend)
2. Luna
2 books of any LGBTQ that are clearly also genre (fantasy, historical, SciFi, mystery):
1. SONG OF ACHILLES (well-written, well-developed relationship and characters, and a tearjerker/heartbreaker); such a beautiful story that is FAR more than just the romance (greek mythology, fantasy, politics)
2. We Are the Ants (contemplated whether this is clearly genre, but decided that it deals with his coming-of-age, mental health, and the aftermath of a death mostly)

message 32: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Thanks - that's a great list. (We Are the Ants is one of our nominees for next month's book of the month reading.)

message 33: by Jason (new)

Jason (jason_williams) | 732 comments I'm keeping my list simple with just one from each category:

Gay MCs:
--Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
(Ari and Dante was so close though)

Lesbian MCs:
--Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

BTQ+:
--Spy Stuff by Matthew J. Metzger

Genre:
--The Star Host by F.T. Lukens

message 34: by Consu (new)

Consu (4pomegranateseeds) | 3 comments Labyrinth Lost
This is a recent release
Best book I've read so far, it's a retelling of alice in wonderland but with brujas. All main characters are poc and the protagonist is a latina bisexual girl. Yes, it's as amazing as it sounds

message 35: by Kaje (last edited Nov 04, 2016 10:15AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments pia carlotta wrote: "recent release "someonesickness", two of the main characters are a gay couple. :)"

I would ask authors to please not use this thread to promote your own books. I'm glad if you believe in them, but this is for the work by other writers that we want to share.

I'd love to hear about the books that inspired you to write YA LGBT.

message 36: by Carl (new)

Carl | 5 comments I hope just 2 books for 1 category are okay, as I don't have any titles yet for the others.

Lesbian:

Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden
Colorblind by Siera Maley (both of these are warm & wonderful)

and

books with MCs who are BTQIAPP

Luna by Julie Peters

message 37: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Thanks, and absolutely you don't have to fill all the categories.

I did enjoy Luna too.

message 38: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments I'm going to add in Autoboyography since many people have been praising its integration of the themes of religion (particularly Mormon families) and bisexuality and comeing out

message 39: by Iamshadow (last edited Feb 23, 2018 06:32PM) (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Gay MCs
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli - gay MC
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell - gay MC

Lesbian MCs
Santa Olivia / Saints Astray by Jacqueline Carey - lesbian MC with a bi girlfriend (I think this is okay for an older teen audience. Correct me if I'm wrong.)
Dreadnought by April Daniels - trans lesbian MC

BTQIAPP+ MCs
Clariel by Garth Nix - ace MC (heavily implied, not stated)
Autoboyography by Christina Lauren - bi MC
Radio Silence by Alice Oseman - wlw MC with various secondary including ace and mlm rep
Every Heart a Doorway / Down Among the Sticks and Bones / Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire - various, including ace and wlw (with a book about a trans character slated for future release!)

Genre
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet / A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers - wlw and poly rep
The Abyss Surrounds Us / The Edge of the Abyss by Emily Skrutskie - wlw

Yeah, I know that's technically more than ten, but I read a lot of series, and I've stuck to ten franchises? *shrug*

message 40: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Works for me - thanks :)

message 41: by Christian (new)

Christian LaFreniere | 3 comments Adam silvera's, " History is all you left me" possibly the saddest YA book ever written

Carry on , by Rainbow of course

message 42: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Thanks for the votes. It helps our member librarians choose books (and readers too.)

message 43: by Lomion (new)

Lomion | 1 comments What about the Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan? It's for sure YA, I'm not sure if it fits the LGBT requirement: there is a gay character, but his sexual orientation is revealed only in the 4th book (out of 5), and they are definitively not stand-alone, so you need all 5 of them.
On the other side, in my opinion the whole theme is treated quite well, with a good balance between the doubts, the problems with self-acceptance and the moments of weakness of the gay MC and him being, objectively, a badass.

message 44: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Lomion wrote: "What about the Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan? It's for sure YA, I'm not sure if it fits the LGBT requirement: there is a gay character, but his sexual orientation is revea..."

It's a great series especially for that hard to fit middle grade range, and there is a lot of LGBTQ rep among the characters.

message 45: by James (new)

James (rigfield) | 27 comments 2 books with gay MCs
The Wicker King
The Art of Starving

2 books with lesbian MCs
Girl Mans UP
As I Descended

4 books with MCs who are BTQIAPP+
Cut Both Ways
The 57 Bus

2 books of any LGBTQ that are clearly also genre (fantasy, historical, SciFi, mystery)
Three Truths and a Lie
White Rabbit

2 Titles I'm excited for release -
What If It's Us
Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts)

message 46: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16771 comments Thanks for adding to our lists. I'll have to check out The Wicker King and The 57 Bus...

message 47: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 596 comments James wrote: "2 Titles I'm excited for release -
What If It's Us
Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts)"

SAME. I've got both pre-ordered despite my usual reluctance to pre-order things (been burned one too many times in the past by the videogame industry in that area). But Albertalli and Silvera haven't disappointed me yet, so I'm hopeful that trend continues.