Start by marking “Annie on My Mind” as Want to Read:
Annie on My Mind

Annie on My Mind

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  40,029 ratings  ·  1,986 reviews
This groundbreaking book is the story of two teenage girls whose friendship blossoms into love and who, despite pressures from family and school that threaten their relationship, promise to be true to each other and their feelings. The book has been banned from many school libraries and publicly burned in Kansas City.

Of the author and the book, the Margaret A. Edwards Awa
Paperback, Aerial fiction, 234 pages
Published 1992 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published July 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Annie on My Mind, please sign up.
Naofumi Iwatani (from The Rising of The Shield Hero) ☯ (ヅ) ꧁꧂✨ ╰(*´︶`*)╯♡ ✿◕ ‿ ◕✿ I think it is also at Barnes and nobles, whenever I buy paper books I go there, which is a lot, I am actually pretty famous there, or at least at the …moreI think it is also at Barnes and nobles, whenever I buy paper books I go there, which is a lot, I am actually pretty famous there, or at least at the one I go to c:(less)
Hayley I’m not sure if you’re still looking, but ThriftBooks.com has the copy you’re looking for! I wanted the same one — I remember taking it out of the lib…moreI’m not sure if you’re still looking, but ThriftBooks.com has the copy you’re looking for! I wanted the same one — I remember taking it out of the library and being so concerned the librarians were judging me because the book was so obviously gay.(less)

·  40,029 ratings  ·  1,986 reviews

Start your review of Annie on My Mind
Sarah Verminski
Annie On My Mind will always have a special place in my heart, it was the first lesbian themed book I ever read. You may not understand the enormity of this, but just try to understand being 14 and every book you read involves a romance between a man and a woman. Every movie, every TV show, everyone I know is straight, nobody knows I'm gay, I barely understand it myself, and I pick up this book and suddenly it's like I can breathe. Suddenly I don't feel so alone, there's an actual published book ...more
Cristina Monica
3.5 stars.

This romantic relationship is so… organic.

Liza and Annie fall in love with each other gradually and for the right reasons. Neither expected to feel so deeply for the other person, but they cannot deny their feelings for one another without breaking their own heart in the process, even if they both know people in their lives disapprove of them or would disapprove if they knew they were more than friends.

They know society is against them, but still they decide to see where their feelin
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Have you ever felt really close to someone? So close that you can’t understand why you and the other person have two separate bodies, two separate skins?”

Oh my! This book hit me with so many different feels I didn’t even understand what was happening to me. I mean I knew ”Annie on My Mind” is an f/f romance and that it wasn’t only banned from school libraries but also publicly burned at some point. I knew this book was published about 36 years ago and that Nancy Garden is a lesbian. I knew all
Elyse  Walters
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Update: For those who are looking for 'wonderful' audiobooks --a 'great story' which will hold your interest from start to finish ---THIS IS IT!!! Its still one of my favorite audiobooks...
ECHO is 'exceptional'!!
I've been thinking about audiobooks --and I saw a member notice this book a few minutes ago--and I just can't say enough good things about it. I 'STILL' have Iris to thank!!!

I can't imagine 'anyone' not liking it!

Thank you **Iris** for this Audible book. I can't thank Iris enough! (an
Skyler
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I'm qualified to write much of a review on this book, as I was never an adolescent lesbian. But I will say that it was incredibly easy to relate to--even for an adolescent hetero male--and the situation is touching, if not incredibly sad.

Liza is a teenager who finds a companion in a fellow museum-goer one star-struck day. Cautious and excited, she pursues her romance, despite the fact that many around her do not seem to understand. Through the help of a teacher, she finds guidance i
Thomas
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Thomas by: Himanshi Agrawal
It was like a war inside me; I couldn't even recognize all the sides. There was one that said, "No, this is wrong; you know it's wrong and bad and sinful," and there was another that said, "Nothing has ever felt so right and natural and true and good," and another that just wanted to stop thinking altogether and fling my arms around Annie and hold her forever. There were other sides, too, but I couldn't sort them out.

Can we talk about how Annie On My Mind was published in 1982? 1982? Almost 20 y
Ines
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
A very nice story but without any pretensions or of particular depth, it is suitable for young readers who look for the first time to understand, or better to realize that we do not all love in the same way. The girls, Liza and Annie, are very nice and smart and their characters well presented, I’m only sorry that the school context, where a good part of the narrative takes place, is absolutely weird and not believable. A book that is unfortunately dated.
It didn’t convince me much that the only
Emer (A Little Haze)
"Have you ever felt really close to someone?
So close that you can't understand why you and the other person have two separate bodies, two separate skins?
I think it was Sunday when that feeling began."

There is a reason that this novel was so groundbreaking upon its release in 1982. It is utterly beautiful and devastating. The teenage love story between Liza and Annie is nothing short of moving. It starts out so simply. Two girls that form a gorgeously written connection that blossoms so nat
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: lesbian mc & li, lesbian side characters

Review also on my blog. Galley provided by the publisher.

Speaking as a lesbian, I can't even begin to properly explain to you why this book is so important to me. My only wish is that I read it at 15 instead of 25 & I really, really hope there have been a bunch of kids who did just that! I'm sure there must have been though given it's 35 years (!!!) since Annie on My Mind was first published.

And I think that's one of the greatest things about this boo
Silvia
BR with my favorite bean

🌈 full review now posted!

Can you believe this book came to my house to murder me with feels??? Wow the disrespect!!!

I can't believe I've owned this book since last June and I've waited until now to read it, but I probably enjoyed it much more now that I would have this summer for various reasons.

It takes place in the US in the eighties, when it was also published. I believe it's one of the first, if not the first, YA book that deals with female homosexuality in such an
Julia
"What struck me most, though, was that, in that whole long article, the word 'love' wasn't used even once. That made me mad; it was as if whoever wrote the article didn't know that gay people actually love each other. The encyclopedia writers ought to talk to me, I thought as I went back to bed; I could tell them something about love."

This quote sums up pretty well what I loved the most about this book. Liza and Annie are only 17 year old when they fall in love, and this whole time, despite all
Elise (TheBookishActress)
you know, this is just not doing it for me right now and I'm 45% of the way through. I don't know, it's fine, I think this is just not my genre of book and I was only reading it because of the lesbian classic thing? possibly will be returned to someday.

I will say, though, that this quote stuck out to me:
Nataliya
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
“Have you ever felt really close to someone? So close that you can’t understand why you and the other person have two separate bodies, two separate skins?”
Published in 1982, ‘Annie on My Mind’ explores the relationship between seventeen-year-old Liza Winthrop and Annie Kenyon that starts as close friendship and blossoms into love, tender and awkward and sincere and intense - and of course, absurdly terrifying and threatening in its perceived ‘immorality’ to the heteronormative world of pearl
Rachel Hall
Reading Annie on My Mind in 2017, what was once considered a groundbreaking coming of age novel on its publication in 1982 admittedly feels incredibly dated. Thankfully attitudes have mellowed, albeit much too slowly, but besides the abhorrent treatment and an appreciation of progress made, the emotions of the story are still very true. Whilst the actual specifics and details may be markedly different for today's teenagers, the ensuing turmoil of self-acceptance and coming to terms with ones ide ...more
Katie.dorny
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was simply worded and i loved it.

The story and the premise is so believable because it is so real and still existing, still happening.

Meeting Liza and Annie, watching their friendship progress - it resonated so strongly with me because the exact same thing happened to me. I felt every emotion.

In regards to Mrs Pointdexter and Mrs Baxter - the fact the hate they spew is still so vehemently preached everyday around the world, the belief in their statements made this book just utterly captivat
Starsandsun18
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ya
If you’ll have a starter pack for F/F books I think this one is a must. A safe choice.
F/F-YA is very delicate genre especially if you’re just staring to figure things out. A lot of FF/YA can be a bit traumatic for me. But for this one, everything is just so light and balanced.

Re-reading this for the nth time and like the very first time I read it, it always makes me smile.
Now with the new edition. :))

Highly recommend.
Rose
Initial thoughts: I'm still trying to form thoughts on my reactions to "Annie on My Mind", but the one thing I can say was that this was a wonderful novel and I'm wondering why it took me so long to read it. Beautifully written, the relationship between Annie and Liza is quite resonant, not just in how it develops, but how it endures. I loved the ending, and I was happy to be able to listen to some reflective thoughts on Nancy Garden's life and personal experiences following the story.

Full revie
elena ⚢
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being a lesbian is simultaneously the easiest and hardest part of my life. It's natural, it's beautiful, it's something I'll always be proud of, but so much of the world still hates that part of me and wants me to hate it too, and this book captured that feeling so perfectly-- that feeling of knowing that who you are is okay, that the love you feel is not ugly or immoral or abnormal; it's beautiful and it should be treated as such. This book teaches girls like me that you should never be ashamed ...more
Sara
May 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
i didn't read this book until i was in my mid-twenties, though it is a book written for a teen audience. it was published in 1982, but i never even heard about it until i was in a queer women's book club in dc. we decided to read this as one of our selections (as well as "are you there, god? it's me, margaret.") it is truly a beautiful story and perfect for teens struggling with their sexuality. the author, nancy garden, doesn't shy away from many of the difficulties of being queer, but it's hea ...more
Lisa
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
First impression: UGH. I'd heard about the use of archaic words, but man a-live.

Thankfully that went away after a while.

More importantly, Annie bothered me. A lot. Who breaks into spontaneous Shakespearean character? Annoying Shakesperean character? I didn't get what it was about her that entranced Liza.

But then everything changed. I realized the metaphor behind the Shakespeare, and eventually the two of them (Annie in particular) stopped doing it. They gradually became, as Annie said, "real."
Anja V
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia
It's Annie and me they're all sitting around here like cardboard people judging; it's Annie and me. And what we did that they think is wrong, when you pare it all down, was fall in love.
"If you two remember nothing else from all this," Ms. Widmer said, "remember that. Please. Don't - don't punish yourselves for people's ignorant reactions to what we all are."
"Don't let ignorance win," said Ms. Stevenson. "Let love."

There's one simple reason why I put off reading Annie on My Mind for so lon
MissBecka
I didn't realize this was published in 1982 until I was listening to the interview with the author at the end of the audio.
It is surprisingly ahead of it's time and extremely well written.
It is even cooler to learn that this is based on the author's real life experiences as a teen.
It's a very sweet and honest story.
I've read similar stories that were done better, hence the 3 stars.
I would recommend this to everyone.
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
3.5 "Healthy teen relationship rep" Stars

yes, I placed this in my classic shelf, what are you gonna do about that? Lesbian classic lit.

RTC
Just a man's point of view
I think reviewing Annie on my mind should be a little different than other contemporary lesbian romances.

We should keep in mind that this book was written with a purpose. In the words of the author: "I wrote it to give solace to young gay people, to let them know they were not alone, that they could be happy and well adjusted and also to let heterosexual kids know that we gay people aren't monsters".
We should remember that this book was published in 1982, that it was banned from Kansan City scho
Charlotte Annelise
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book follows Eliza, a seventeen-year-old girl. She is heavily involved in her school's activities and loves going to museums in New York. When she meets Annie, their love for each other grows and the two realise they cannot let anyone know about their romance.

I did not realise this book would be so difficult to read. While it is mostly positive surrounding gay people, many of the characters are very harsh. I wouldn't recommend this book to someone who isn't fully comfortable with their sex
Les Read
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Annie on My Mind is a beautiful love story about a friendship that blooms into love for two young women who are from different sides of the track. Liza attends a private high school and comes from a white-collar family, and Annie attends a public school and comes from a lower-income part of town. They're both bright and accomplished teenagers: Liza, who is applying for MIT to study architecture and Annie, a talented singer who dreams of being accepted into the music program at UC Berkeley. The c ...more
emma
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
“What matters is the truth of loving, of two people finding each other. That’s what's important, and don't you forget it.”

I really wish I’d read this book earlier. I definitely still appreciated it as an adult, but I feel like this book could have been incredibly important for me as a younger teen. Being able to read a book about two girls in high school falling in love, a story about two girls realizing they like girls…a story like this one would have made a huge difference in my life. It t
Tinything
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a mix feeling about this book. Let just say i dont hate it but i dont like it either. And there is going to be some complaining i guess. It just frustrated. Not that the book is bad. It actually good, i think. It just the characters in the book made me so frustrated.

A bit of spoiler and lots of complaining about people. -> (view spoiler)
Kalyn✨
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Liza and Annie are SO friggen wholesome.

I loved the plot and characters, but unfortunately I didn't particularly enjoy the writing style. My biggest issue is how Nancy Garden cuts speech after the first (or first few) words to say "xyz said." I'd be okay with this being done a few times, especially when it makes sense to pause after a word or clause, but it's constant.

Example: “Sally,” said Mrs. Poindexter, “is still a member of the student body.”

(I do realize this sounds a bit nit-picky and I a
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger, aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Nancy Garden's ANNIE ON MY MIND, originally published in 1982, was recently re-released. (It includes an interview with the author herself.)

The book represents an early example of realistic young adult fiction depicting a lesbian relationship between two high school seniors. It is still a fitting portrayal for today's teens.

Liza and Annie meet in a New York museum and develop a fast friendship. Both seem to realize there is somet

• Keeping You a Secret
  • Kissing Kate
  • Empress of the World (Battle Hall Davies, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
  • grl2grl
  • Boy Meets Boy
  • Two Boys Kissing
  • Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel
A versatile writer, Nancy Garden has published books for children as well as for teens, nonfiction as well as fiction. But her novel Annie on My Mind, the story of two high school girls who fall in love with each other, has brought her more attention than she wanted when it was burned in front of the Kansas City School Board building in 1993 and banned from school library shelves in Olathe, Kansas ...more

News & Interviews

“There’s a Greek legend—no, it’s in something Plato wrote—about how true lovers are really two halves of the same person. It says that people wander around searching for their other half, and when they find him or her, they are finally whole and perfect. The thing that gets me is that the story says that originally all people were really pairs of people, joined back to back, and that some of the pairs were man and man, some woman and woman, and others man and woman. What happened was that all of these double people went to war with the gods, and the gods, to punish them, split them all in two. That’s why some lovers are heterosexual and some are homosexual, female and female, or male and male.” 231 likes
“The thing about mountains is that you have to keep on climbing them, and that it's always hard, but there's a view from top every time when you finally get there.” 114 likes