New Adult Book Club discussion

Jay McLean
This topic is about Jay McLean
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Author Q+A's > Q&A with Jay McLean *CLOSED*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LeAnn (new)

LeAnn (leannelizabeth)

Welcome to another fabulous New Adult Book Club Q&A. Over the next two weeks we have Jay McLean joining us to answer your questions! Jay is the author of the More Than series, the Kick Push series, the Combative series, and the Boy Toy Chronicles. Please leave your questions for Jay below.

message 2: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 2 comments While the Combative trilogy has all of your writing magic, it is different from your other books. Other than challenging yourself, what have you enjoyed most when writing it?

message 3: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 2 comments Fill in the blank with one of your characters:
When my boys start to date, i hope the girl is like ________.

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (pinky_bcbc) | 106 comments What's your next project?

message 5: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Tricia wrote: "While the Combative trilogy has all of your writing magic, it is different from your other books. Other than challenging yourself, what have you enjoyed most when writing it?"

Ohhhh, that's such a good question! I really liked writing the suspense of it all. Building up secrets, and then exposing them. And, I really enjoy writing cliffhangers. lol. I've written 11 books and 4 of them have been cliffhangers. I also liked getting into the heads of three different main characters instead of just the two. :D

message 6: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Tricia wrote: "Fill in the blank with one of your characters:
When my boys start to date, i hope the girl is like ________."

Amanda. (More Than Her/Him)
I'm not too sure what it is about her that I love, maybe it's her confidence from the beginning (not needing a guy to build her up) Even though she gets THE guy, she's never at a place where she feels like she's below him in any way. She's experienced so much but still doesn't take life too seriously, and her love for her family, her friends, and Logan are constant and fierce throughout. I hope my boys find someone who loves them, flaws and all, and has the confidence to be her own person. That was a really good question! Thank you!

message 7: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Rosa wrote: "What's your next project?"

I can't say.
For a couple reasons, but mainly because I tend to write half a book, then get stuck, and move on to something else. I go back and forth a lot so I don't want to announce something and then later change my mind.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jones (melissajones) | 50 comments Hi Jay.
What book of your own would be the first that you would recommend to a new reader?

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 73 comments Which one of the guys and/or girls that you've written that you can see yourself either dating or being their best friend when you were their age?

message 10: by Mercedes (last edited Jul 03, 2016 06:11PM) (new)

Mercedes | 257 comments Hi Jay! I was wondering if you have any writing hard limits? (Maybe HEA only, or you steer clear of a certain genre or certain types of scenes etc.?) If so, why? Stemming from this question, is there a certain genre or trope you'd like to write and haven't yet? If so, could you tell us what the genre/trope is?

This is my favorite question to ask but I'm also wondering if Tommy will ever get a book? I mean, he's got some serious game, I wouldn't mind some grown up Tommy.

Thanks!!

message 11: by warhawke (new)

warhawke | 1530 comments Hi Jay!
Do you have any writing rituals? Things you have to do or avoid doing while writing?

By the way I recently read Kick, Push by Jay McLean and that was my first book of yours. I love it. Love all the feels lol! I still need to read Coast (Kick Push, #2) by Jay McLean so will definitely do that soon :D

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 16 comments Hi Jay! Have you ever thought about writing in another genre? Like PNR or Romantic Suspense? Love you work btw!

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Shiels (erato23135) | 0 comments I have loved everything I've read of yours. Do you think you will write any more in the More Than series?

message 14: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Melissa wrote: "Hi Jay.
What book of your own would be the first that you would recommend to a new reader?"

I would recommend Kick Push, followed by Coast, just because I think it reaches a larger audience, and I'm probably most confident in that book than any other. lol

message 15: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Michelle wrote: "Which one of the guys and/or girls that you've written that you can see yourself either dating or being their best friend when you were their age?"

Hi Michelle,

Great question! I would both date and be BFF's with Lucy from the More Than Series. Lol. She's my spirit animal. <3

message 16: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi Jay! Have you ever thought about writing in another genre? Like PNR or Romantic Suspense? Love you work btw!"

Hi Ashley! Fantastic question!
I've done a little romantic suspense in the Combative Series, but it's not dark romance. I've stuck to what I know in that it's still kind of the New Adult Romance, with a side of suspense. Different types of characters with an organized crime kind of twist. I wrote/am writing it because I love to read those kinds of books. I've struggled to read PNR so I for sure would struggle writing it.

message 17: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Jennifer wrote: "I have loved everything I've read of yours. Do you think you will write any more in the More Than series?"

Hi Jennifer! Thanks for the question.
I've mentioned a few times that More Than Enough is the final book in the series, but I will be writing Lucy's brothers books, starting with Lucas. I think five books for a series is enough. <3

message 18: by M (new)

M (princessmabie) | 1 comments Hi Jay!!!

Between the More than Series and the Kick Push (or WTRTM) series, which one was the most difficult to write the ending to?

I absolutely love your books <3 Thank you for all the words!

message 19: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Mabel wrote: "Hi Jay!!!

Between the More than Series and the Kick Push (or WTRTM) series, which one was the most difficult to write the ending to?

I absolutely love your books <3 Thank you for all the words!"

Hi Mabel!
Wow, this one is tough!
I've always had a really soft spot for wtrtm. Saying goodbye to those characters ruined me. lol. Saying goodbye to the More crew was so bittersweet. I really wanted to be done with that series, while at the same time, not wanting to let them go. lol. And, as far as KP&C -- I don't think I've truly said goodbye to them yet. :/

message 20: by Roxy (new)

Roxy Naranjo | 2 comments Out of curiosity, did you know you were going to write Kick, Push (Josh &Becca's) story whem you wrote Where the Road Takes Me?

message 21: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Roxy wrote: "Out of curiosity, did you know you were going to write Kick, Push (Josh &Becca's) story whem you wrote Where the Road Takes Me?"

Hi Roxy!
Thanks for the great question. Actually, Where the Road Takes Me was originally titled The Road, and was later acquired by a publisher. The original version of The Road tied up everyone's story, including Josh's... who met a Nanny at a park while Tommy was playing. I hinted that he still went pro, and everything else was the same. He still lived with Grams etc. When I went to do the rewrites for the publisher, I edited a LOT of Josh out of the story, and told myself that if he ever spoke to me again, I'd give him a story. So in short... no. There was never a plan for Josh and Becca. In fact, Becca was originally write for one of the More Than books. :D

message 22: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi Jay!

I absolutely LOVE everything you've written. After reading Coast, I've had a serious book hangover and have not been able to get into anything since so I'm kind of just re-reading all of y..."

Hi Ashley!
Thanks for the question.
I suck at planning out stories and plot lines. There was never an intent prior to writing that I would tie them all in together. In fact, More Than This was originally written as a standalone. I added the epilogue from Logan's POV the day before I published so there was a hint to it. I do like how More Than Forever tied in everyone's story... and More Than Enough was kind of post all of them because I think Dylan's character and the storyline needed more mature characters.

xx Jay

message 23: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 18 comments Ciao, Jay!
Unfortunately, I've read just one of your books because "Where the road takes me" is the only one available in Italy (and I've loved it!).
Anyway, if you could spend a whole day with a character from one of your books , which would you choose and why? :)

message 24: by Lo Bookfrantic (new)

Lo Bookfrantic | 218 comments Hi Jay!
I recently read Kick, Push (Kick Push, #1) by Jay McLean Coast (Kick Push, #2) by Jay McLean and I was fascinated with your writing style.

What book of yours would you recommend a reader after reading those two books?

Thank you!

message 25: by Lo Bookfrantic (new)

Lo Bookfrantic | 218 comments Mercedes wrote: "Hi Jay! I was wondering if you have any writing hard limits? (Maybe HEA only, or you steer clear of a certain genre or certain types of scenes etc.?) If so, why? Stemming from this question, is the..."

>>>omg Mer! I would love to read a book of Tommy Eekk that would be amazing.

message 26: by Lo Bookfrantic (new)

Lo Bookfrantic | 218 comments Oh I'm sorry other question:

Jay, do you write with music or prefer the silence? If so, what type of music do you normally listen while you write?

message 27: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Claudia wrote: "Ciao, Jay!
Unfortunately, I've read just one of your books because "Where the road takes me" is the only one available in Italy (and I've loved it!).
Anyway, if you could spend a whole day with a..."

Hi Claudia!
Thank you so much for reading Where the Road Takes Me? Did you read the Italian translation? I LOVE that cover so much!
And, thank you for that question! Hmmm... that's a really tough one. I think I'd probably want to hang out with Tommy Warden, just because he's a little cutie and I think he'd make me laugh a lot. lol

message 28: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Loyda wrote: "Hi Jay!
I recently read Kick, Push (Kick Push, #1) by Jay McLeanCoast (Kick Push, #2) by Jay McLean and I was fascinated with your writing style.

What book of yours would you recommend a reader after reading thos..."

Hi Loyda!
Thank you for taking the time to read Kick Push and Coast! I think I'd probably suggest the More Than Series after reading those. I think the later books in the series are very similar in writing style and emotions. The first two (my first two books) are a little bit more amateur, but I do get better, I promise. And I truly think the last two books (Forever and Enough) are on par with KP&C. If you get a chance to read them, I hope you enjoy.

Jay

message 29: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Mercedes wrote: "Hi Jay! I was wondering if you have any writing hard limits? (Maybe HEA only, or you steer clear of a certain genre or certain types of scenes etc.?) If so, why? Stemming from this question, is the..."

Hi Mercedes! I'm so sorry, I think I must have missed this question! My hard limits are just from personal preference. I don't do too well writing "in your face" kind of alpha male or BDSM. I like to write relationships I find realistic and I do the same with my characters. I don't write billionaire/MC characters because I can't connect with them. Most of my male characters are confused jocks, LOL! I think a major "hard limit" for me would be cheating between the main two characters, and as far as HEA's... just like reading, I don't believe every story needs to have a complete HEA. I think sometimes it's almost better when a story ends with a realistic ending. :D
Thanks for a fantastic question!

message 30: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Loyda wrote: "Oh I'm sorry other question:

Jay, do you write with music or prefer the silence? If so, what type of music do you normally listen while you write?

Hi Again!
Awesome question!
I'm kind of a mix... sometimes I like to have music on full blast, or just in the background, and other times I need DEAD silence. I wear earplugs and block out ALL outside noise when that happens. Sometimes I binge watch something in the background that's not at all related to what I'm writing. For example, I watched Criminal Minds when I wrote More Than Enough, even though I wanted to watch Friday Night Lights, but the whole New Adult genre and emotions of the show and book were too similar. So I watched Friday Night Lights when I wrote Redemptive (Romance Suspense) lol. I'm kinda strange like that. <3

message 31: by Lo Bookfrantic (new)

Lo Bookfrantic | 218 comments warhawke wrote: "Hi Jay!
Do you have any writing rituals? Things you have to do or avoid doing while writing?

By the way I recently read Kick, Push by Jay McLean and that was my first book of yours. I love ..."

>>>war thanks for buddy reading this with me and Mer but now you need to speed up woman and read coast

Oh bty great question I want to know too lol

message 32: by Lo Bookfrantic (new)

Lo Bookfrantic | 218 comments Jay wrote: "Loyda wrote: "Hi Jay!
I recently read Kick, Push (Kick Push, #1) by Jay McLeanCoast (Kick Push, #2) by Jay McLean and I was fascinated with your writing style.

What book of yours would you recommend a reader afte..."

YAY! I can't wait to read more. Thank you for taking your time to recommend :)

message 33: by Lo Bookfrantic (new)

Lo Bookfrantic | 218 comments Jay wrote: "Loyda wrote: "Oh I'm sorry other question:

Hi Again!
Awesome ques..."

Hahaha I love this answer!! Sounds like a good combination ;)

message 34: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments warhawke wrote: "Hi Jay!

By the way I recently read Kick, Push by Jay McLean and that was my first book of yours. I love ..."

Hi Warhawke!
I definitely avoid reading while I'm writing, which sucks. I try not to be too active on social media because it's crazy distracting! As soon as I'm done with a book, and it's with beta readers or editors, I binge read. But, I'm a slow reader... so binge reading means, like, four books. lol.

I drink a LOT of diet pepsi and eat a stupid amount of chips when I'm writing. That changes to chocolate when I'm editing. lol.

What else... I think that's about it. I do have a daily word target when I write, and I try to maintain it. I won't sleep until it's done. I also have a horrible habit of rewriting the first 30%... getting stuck on 30-70% and then going hard at the ending (only to rewrite it). lol. And once a book is released, I lay low for a few weeks and catch up on all the adulting I've missed out on. Then I start it all over again. My sleep routine is horrible. I write until 3-4 in the morning, wake up around 9, am a sloth for a few hours, have lunch with my family, do all the non-writery/business side of work. Do dinner for the family, then once the kids go down at 7-8, I start on my writing. lol. My poor husband.
xx

message 35: by Roxy (new)

Roxy Naranjo | 2 comments One more quick question: do you think you'll ever write Heidi's story? I'll be thruthful. I truly adore your books; they're awesome. I stumbled on the first ENough book last year and thought was great and loved each one more and more. When I got to MTE I was looking Forward to Dylan and Heidi's story and gosh was I thrown for a loop. Initially I was confused, sad and many other emotions but ended up loving it! But wonder now what happens to Heidi! Thanks for giving us such beautiful and emotional stories!

message 36: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Roxy wrote: "One more quick question: do you think you'll ever write Heidi's story? I'll be thruthful. I truly adore your books; they're awesome. I stumbled on the first ENough book last year and thought was gr..."

Hey Roxy!
Heidi's been one of those characters that I've just not been able to connect with. If, at any time, she decides to talk to me, I would definitely consider it. I'd sort of been setting up the Dylan story since More Than Her (if you read closely enough) so I'd always planned that twist in the final book, and hoped it wouldn't deter too many people from reading it. xx

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (velezlaura) Hi Jay,

I'm also a HUGE fan of OTH so i was wondering what is your favourite episode and why?

message 38: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Jay,

I'm also a HUGE fan of OTH so i was wondering what is your favourite episode and why?"

Season 3, episode 16. The episode shooting. That show is EVERYTHING. I cried my eyes out!

message 39: by J. (new)

J. (leaj) | 275 comments If you could me any book character for a day, who would you pick and why? :)

message 40: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Ortiz | 733 comments Do you make a playlist that goes with the books that you write and listen to music to?

message 41: by Irma (new)

Irma *Irma The Book Whisperer* | 325 comments I would just love to know if the release day for Lucas (Preston Brothers #1) is known?

message 42: by Geleen (new)

Geleen Faye (readingwithgee) | 43 comments Hi Jay!!! You have the innate ability to squeeze the tear ducts out of a person. I just want to ask was it planned? Like, "I would make the lives of these two miserable" or "this is going to be one hell of a ride". Or it just sort of came out when you are writing the story?

message 43: by Jo-Ann (new)

Jo-Ann Forrest (joannf57) | 215 comments Which one should I start with?

message 44: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments J. wrote: "If you could me any book character for a day, who would you pick and why? :)"
Hi J!
Awesome question! I think I'd be Layken from Slammed. Because Will Cooper. So much Will Cooper. lol.

message 45: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Nicole wrote: "Do you make a playlist that goes with the books that you write and listen to music to?"

Hi Nicole.
Thanks for the question. I do have playlists for all of my books. They're on Spotify. You can follow me @ jaymcleanauthor. :D

message 46: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Irma wrote: "I would just love to know if the release day for Lucas (Preston Brothers #1) is known?"

Hi Irma,
No release date set for this yet. I tend not to know what I'm writing next, so I give no more than a months notice. Sometimes, I just do surprise releases. :D
Thanks for the question!

message 47: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Geleen wrote: "Hi Jay!!! You have the innate ability to squeeze the tear ducts out of a person. I just want to ask was it planned? Like, "I would make the lives of these two miserable" or "this is going to be one..."

Hi Geleen!
This question made me lol. It is (in a way) planned. I love writing angst and emotion, and those are the scenes I find easiest to write. I write the types of books I enjoy, and I love a good cry book. Sometimes I find my direction a little risky (see Kick Push cliffhanger, and More Than Enough) but I always follow my heart.

message 48: by Jay (new)

Jay McLean (jaymclean) | 24 comments Jo-Ann wrote: "Which one should I start with?"

My two most popular series are the More Than Series and The Road Series.
More Than This was my debut novel, so it's a little scratchy in areas, but my writing gets better. I promise. lol.
The More Than Series follows a group of friends from High school through college and beyond, and the series is complete.
The Road Series starts with where the road takes me. The first book is a standalone and starts in high school. It's a lot more YA than my other book. Kick Push and Coast (to be read as a dualogy) is definitely more New Adult. Kick Push has been my most successful book and can be read without reading Where the Road Takes Me, however you will find spoilers for Where the Road Takes Me in Kick Push. Hope that helps! <3

message 49: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Willis Hi Jay! what's the best thing being an author? :)

message 50: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (blkel14) | 78 comments This question is completely unrelated to writing or your series, but I'm curious: what are your favorite ships (either on TV, in movies, or from books)? Were there any that influenced the relationships you write about in your books?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.