Start by marking “Kick, Push (Kick Push, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kick, Push (Kick Push, #1)

Kick, Push (Kick Push #1)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,834 Ratings  ·  796 Reviews
An alternate cover edition can be found here.

There’s a single defining moment within every skater.
It lasts only a second. Two if you're good.
Three if you’re really good.
It’s the moment you’re in the air, your board somewhere
beneath you, and nothing but wind surrounds you.
It’s the feeling of being airborne.

The sixteen-year-old version of me would’ve said it was the
gr
Published August 4th 2015 (first published July 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Kick, Push, please sign up.

Mary Jackson Josh, the main character, becomes a custodial dad at age 17. Book takes him through several years raising his son. After 400 pages of angst, I was…moreJosh, the main character, becomes a custodial dad at age 17. Book takes him through several years raising his son. After 400 pages of angst, I was disappointed that it ended with a cliffhanger. (less)
Lalaland2000 Hi Montal this book ends in a cliffhanger so I don't think it's fair to say it can be read as a standalone. Is it only the Author who can make changes…moreHi Montal this book ends in a cliffhanger so I don't think it's fair to say it can be read as a standalone. Is it only the Author who can make changes and mark it as a series?(less)
The Deal by Elle KennedyConfess by Colleen HooverA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasThe Mistake by Elle KennedyThe Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Best Books of 2015
175th out of 2,530 books — 4,881 voters
November 9 by Colleen HooverForbid Me by M.  RobinsonDark Wild Night by Christina LaurenHollywood Dirt by Alessandra TorreTomorrow's Lies by S.R. Grey
2015 Romantic Releases (JULY to DECEMBER)
73rd out of 493 books — 1,572 voters

More lists with this book...

Christy
5 fire truck stars!!!

photo 8a07ebf3-1553-480d-aad5-3f40fff4c3ee_zps05vu3twv.jpg

I’m convinced that Jay McLean is magic. Her ‘More Than’ series is one of my favorite series ever. It’s not very often a book will effect me like those books did. I love all her work, but nothing of hers has got to me like the More books. Until now. Kick Push is equally as good when it comes to the story and the feels, but the writing is even better. How can she do that more than once? Put out books like this that just consume and overtake me? I don’t know but I’m glad she d
Lisa Jayne
Aug 04, 2015 Lisa Jayne rated it really liked it
FOUR FIRE TRUCK STARS.

“There’s a big difference between being happy and being selfish. Choose to be happy. Fire truck the rest.”

description

Talk about a book journey this novel was more like an expedition. If you take all your thoughts and feelings and jumble them up, then imagine yourself falling in love, then experiencing some unforeseen twists and turns then you might just about grasp how I felt when I was reading this book. Jay McLean has done it again. Every single time I pick up one of this authors
Arianna
Dec 13, 2015 Arianna rated it really liked it
4 Stars!!

description

“Kick Push” was an emotional read about second chances, falling in love, parenting, fallowing your dreams and so much more. Like other books I have read from this author, this one had a little bit of everything – humor, angst, drama – and it made me feel, really feel. “Kick Push” fallows the story of Josh, character we previously met in “Where the Road Takes Me”, another book by this author.

“We were sixteen and pregnant. And at the time—we were happy.”

Josh’s life change irrevocably
Jennifer Kyle
Jul 29, 2015 Jennifer Kyle rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs

If you have read Where the Road Takes Me then you obviously already have meet and fallen in love with Josh and his son Tommy. No worries for those of you who haven’t meet them as this is their story and can be read as a standalone.

description

Josh and Natalie find themselves pregnant at seventeen and make promises to one another when their respective family’s cut most ties and support.

Natal
Arabella ~♡AB♡~
5 Stars

Now LIVE!
Amazon US
Amazon UK

I cannot quite express how I am feeling about this book, this book GAVE ME SO MANY FEELS but mainly I laughed and cried. I CAUGHed throughout most of the book.

I am going to keep this as spoiler free as I can, so this will have to be short. (She says...)

Joshua Warden is sixteen when his girlfriend tells him she is pregnant, and being the stand up guy he is, he supports Natalie throughout the whole pregnancy and vows to stick by her and his baby. When Tommy is j
Mysza
Aug 05, 2015 Mysza rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-read

I firetrucking loved this book. So many emotions.... Gah, this book made me feel. It had it all... humour, angst, drama, heartbreak, healing, love, loss, pain, hope, happiness. I had butterflies throughout it all.

I loved the story, the writing, the feels, but the shining star was a hero himself and his little boy Tommy. I mean other characters were great too, but those boys ent
Brandi
Aug 13, 2015 Brandi rated it really liked it

4-4.5 Stars

description

Jay is a master at bringing out the feels, and this book is no exception. Josh is a single dad, at 17 when he learns his girlfriend Natalie is pregnant he is scared, yet determined that they can get through it, together. Unfortunately for Josh, shortly after the birth of his son, Tommy, Natalie abandons them both.

I couldn't understand how anyone could turn their backs on their family...and yet here I was - facing nothing but backs.

Josh and Tommy are completely alone, Josh is terrifi
Beverly
Jan 12, 2016 Beverly rated it it was amazing
LIVE - http://amzn.to/1SHRvaz

Every once in a while a book comes along that makes you fall in love with reading all over again. Don’t get me wrong I never fell out of love with reading, but sometimes it just becomes something I do. But this story it made me love, love reading. It was the absolute perfect story and one of my favorite books of 2015.

We met Josh in Where the Road Takes Me, I immediately fell in love with this single dad and couldn’t wait to read his story. Josh is a unique character
warhawke
Jun 15, 2016 warhawke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Angst lovers & skateboarders :D
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Type: Book 1 of Kick Push series
POV: First Person Dual
Rating:

Joshua Warden had one passion - skateboarding. But at seventeen, his life turned upside down when his girlfriend left him with his baby. Shunned by his own family, he struggled to survive until an angel offered protection and he started thriving again, but not without great sacrifices. Hanging up his board was worth every moment with his son.

Rebecca (Becca) Owens came crashing into their life out of nowhere.
Katy Loves Romance ❤️
5 Breathe, Coast and I see you Stars*****

photo 6AFFDF15-EF3B-4ADB-85EE-41B05E57E779_zpsfvkmvdgs.jpg

"There are some sacrifices greater than love. And some loves greater than any, Tommy's greater than both."

I don't know how the hell to review this book nor how to get over a book like this...

This is a book about life and about learning to breathe again.

Josh is a single dad after his ex girlfriend left him, after his parents failed him, and he was left to bring up his son ALONE. He learnt what unconditional love means and became the one man his son nee
Vanessa
6 Kick. Push. Stars

Hands down, my best New Adult read of 2015. Absolutely loved it.

Release Day - August 4, 2015!!
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
3 stars

Sorry guys I feel like all I do is complain about what didn't go right with books nowadays. And for this one a few things:
1. Becca's past: (view spoiler)
2. The Drama: Too much in the last 30%.
3. The end: frustrating! Why couldn't it end with one book?! (view spoiler)

There was a few things I liked to balance out m
Deeksha
Jan 13, 2016 Deeksha rated it did not like it
1.5 Stars
* little bit spoilery*

I am so SO angry ....I can't even .....

Ughh....I freaking hate it when authors take a good book with an excellent premise and turn it to shit. I had been waiting for this for so long, which makes me even more angry.

First 60-70% of this book --> Solid 4 stars
After that -->0 Stars

The writing felt unevenly paced throughout the book. But it truly managed to wreak havoc in the last one third of the book. I understand that after a certain point in the book, you ne
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
4.5 Fire Truck the Rest Stars

Pure Emotional Overload. I believe that NO ONE can write young, dramatic, angst filled, passionate love and life stories like Jay McLean. Kick Push, is in my opinion one of her "hardest" reads in that everything is so beautifully broken...

photo bdcec23f-8a0b-4ad1-b5df-53ea1bbba7a3_zpsyvdhbro6.jpg

Everything is elevated to a different level...all because "There are some sacrifices greater than love. And some loves greater than any sacrifice. Tommy's greater than both."

For a 17 year old boy...becoming a father was the start o
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4 - 4.5 's

Reading the blurb for this book, you get that Josh is a single dad, that he rides a skateboard and he meets a girl. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Josh, like a lot of teenagers, got his girlfriend pregnant but unlike a lot of teenagers, he stuck around and was always there for his girlfriend and their baby.

But things are not easy and most people turn their backs on Josh and his girlfriend making it rough to have a place to live and food to eat. Then there's the diapers and f
Beth
Jul 25, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing
5+ Coasting Stars

This is me getting the new Jay McLean.

This is me reading Kick Push.

devastated, noun
1. destroyed or ruined
2. me after reading Kick Push

We met single dad Josh in Where the Road Takes Me. He had a quiet dignity that few his age possess. He was mature beyond his years and we wanted to know what make him that way.

Here's the answer: I wake up every morning. That's it.....I wake up. Breathe new air. And fall deeper in love with a kid I created.

In Kick Push we learn the backstory to
Claire Robinson
Jun 01, 2016 Claire Robinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shit-hot-series
5 - "You're my drug, and I'm your poison..." Stars!

I started Kick, Push on the commute to work yesterday morning… I finished Kick, Push on the commute home from work yesterday afternoon. I literally couldn’t put it down. Needless to say not a lot of work was actually undertaken!

Jay McLean isn’t a new author to me, but I will confess I haven’t read a huge number of her books, but one thing that has stood out from my reading experience with her work so far, is that although she does lay on the ang
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Aug 03, 2015 Jenny - TotallybookedBlog rated it really liked it

4.5 "Goodreads really needs a 1/2 star option" stars

“I see you.”

Wow; what a truly beautiful journey we’ve just been on. Kick Push felt unique, refreshing and had a hero that literally stole our hearts. We started reading and were quite simply unable to put this story down with huge lumps in our throats and aching hearts. Yet in amongst the devastating sadness was rays of hope, love and perseverance. This book had such a huge heart.

“Kick. Push. Coast….Time to coast, son.”

Joshua Warden – be
Loyda
Jun 14, 2016 Loyda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Loyda by: Mercedes
~~~FULL REVIEW TO FOLLOW~~~

Emotional, deep writing, HURTS like SHIT, I cried like a baby lol but LOVED IT HARD!!!

READING THIS BCUZ THIS SHHLUT *COUGH* MER NEEDS A BUDDY SUPPORT AND WELL I'M THAT GOOD OF A FRIEND OF COURSE SO HERE I GO HAHAHA....I better CRY bitch!!! LMAO

OH PLUS I LOVE THE COVER HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I'M ABOUT TO READ AND WELL IT'S ONLY .99C....SHOULD I KEEP GOING? LOL

~~~~~BLURB~~~~
There’s a single defining moment within every skater.
It lasts only a second. Two if you're good.
Three
Mercedes
Jun 13, 2016 Mercedes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
This is really more of a recap of my emotional journey followed by my endorsement of the book. Not my typical review style but...this book called for it :)
I have to let you go because you’re my drug, and I’m your poison.
So, when I first saw this book I was intrigued by the young single dad thing and I shelved it and thought of it on occasion but made no real move to pick it up. Then, I saw it was being offered in the NABC read it/review it program and was super stoked, I wanted it. I was u
 ⊱✿⊰ Kitty Kat's Crazy About Books ⊱✿⊰
༺**Complimentary Copy**༺ Provided by the author "Jay McLean" in exchange for an honest review..Thank you!!

TITLE: Kick Push
AUTHOR: Jay McLean
GENRE: Contemporary Romance
RELEASE DATE: August 04th 2015

MY RATING: 5 STARS!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I am so behind on my arcs, please accept my apologies I'm reading as fast as I can to get through them..

JOSH

Straight off the bat Kick Push starts off with Natalie breaking it to her boyfriend Josh that due to a broken condom he is now going to be a teenage father..A feel good
C-Money
Jul 27, 2015 C-Money rated it it was amazing
I read a book.

I read a book at a time in my life when I needed to escape into the words on paper. I wanted to be able be broken over and over again and then healed.

I read a book that was supposed to just make me feel, but instead tore open my soul and bared it to the world.

I read a book that will forever change me as a human being.

I read a book that gave me 3 simple words that I will live by every single day of my life.

I read a book that from start to finish I was consumed by the characters
Alexis *Reality Bites*
Jul 28, 2015 Alexis *Reality Bites* marked it as next-in-my-lineup

Dear Josh,

photo tumblr_mgzp247S2e1s2wqhio1_500_zpse001d7e6.gif

*Copy kindly provided by author for an honest review*
AJ
Aug 06, 2015 AJ rated it liked it
Shelves: romantic, series, steamy, drama
3.5 conflicted stars

I loved it… but I also didn’t. Honestly, I still don’t really know how I feel about this book, so apologies but this review could be a bit all over the place as I purge my thoughts. I love Jay McLean’s More Than series, but I wasn’t a huge fan of her precursor to this book Where the Road Takes Me. Nevertheless, I was excited from the moment I heard about it and dove in with high hopes.

Josh was introduced in Where The Road Takes Me, as the best friend of Hunter, and for me, h
Gitte - TotallyBookedBlog
Aug 03, 2015 Gitte - TotallyBookedBlog rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015

4.5 "Goodreads really needs a 1/2 star option" stars

“I see you.”

“Kick. Push. Coast….Time to coast, son.”

Joshua Warden – be
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Aug 04, 2015 Donna ~ The Romance Cover rated it it was amazing
Kick Push by Jay McLean
5 stars!!

“There are some sacrifices greater than love. And some loves greater than any sacrifice. Tommy’s greater than both.”

Many moons ago I came across Jay McLean after she had just published More Than This, I fell in love with that book and even though I have loved every book since, they still hadn’t managed to knock off More Than This as my favourite Jay McLean read...until Kick Push.

To say I fell in love with this book would be an understatement, to say I fell in
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃

Humour: 2/10
Hotness: 3/10
Romance: 8/10
Extra book Details: Heroine & hero POV; 1st person. Book 1 of ? Cliffhanger

Kick Push is a NA read with a sweet tentative romance, likeable leads, lots of angst, a slow build and a dramatic 2nd half.

Love Jay Mclean's writing and characters, as always, missing the humour from the More Than series though. She never fails to write a unique NA book.

Like many other readers, I wa
Salvatore
Jun 12, 2016 Salvatore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-4.5 STARS

This was a really awesome book and I loved Josh & Tommy! They totally stole my heart & I'm a sucker for single dad stories, so add a really adorable toddler and I'm a puddle of goo. I have to admit that the last part of the book made no sense to me and that if it wasn't for this turn of events it would have been a 5 star read! I do recommend this book and I'll be reading Coast, hopefully soon!
Sam
Aug 04, 2015 Sam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Jay McLean is the only author who can make me laugh, cry and feel all within the same sentence. She doesn't just write a book to keep people happy, she writes a book because it's her! It is in her heart and soul, and you feel exactly this with every book, page, chapter and sentence she writes.
Kick, Push isn't just any ordinary romance novel. It is an experience, a journey and such a complex story that will stay with you forever.
We were introduced to Josh Warden in Where The Road Takes Me and I
Jen
Feb 04, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing
5+ Fire Trucking Stars!

Amazing story! Jay McLean you are amazing! I have to say “thanks” to Christy for this read. I’m so far behind other readers, but I know Christy and I have similar reading taste, so what better way than to use her 2015 favorites list as a starting point for 2016. I’ve loved all of them so far, but this book is by far my very favorite of all. I have to say one of my favorite things when reading a book is getting that “ah ha” moment when the title comes into play. From other
Jaybirds MoreMunity : Kick Push 32 33 Feb 15, 2016 08:05PM
Young Adult Conte...: Kick Push by Jay McLean - Starting August 25, 2015 46 20 Sep 01, 2015 08:20AM
  • Butterfly Dreams
  • Dear Tabitha (Forever Family, #2)
  • A Little Bit of Trouble (Little Bits, #3)
  • #Selfie (Hashtag, #4)
  • Harkham's Case (Harkham's, #1)
  • Ten Thousand Words (Ten Thousand, #1)
  • Paper Hearts (Hearts, #2)
  • Icy Pretty Love
  • Virtue & Vanity
  • Sweet Soul (Sweet Home, #4; Carillo Boys, #3)
  • Abruption
  • Among the Echoes (Wrecked and Ruined, #2.5)
  • Thick Love (Thin Love, #2)
  • Here's to Falling
  • Interim
  • Thin Lines (Donati Bloodlines, #2)
  • Stop!
  • Easy Silence
Jay McLean is an international best-selling author and full-time reader, writer of New Adult Romance, and most of all, procrastinator. When she’s not doing any of those things, she can be found running after her two little boys, playing house and binge watching Netflix.
She writes what she loves to read, which are books that can make her laugh, make her hurt and make her feel.

Jay lives in the subur
More about Jay McLean...

Kick Push (2 books)
  • Coast (Kick Push, #2)

“And there’s nothing sadder, nothing harder in the world than watching the person you love fall apart right before your eyes—and you can’t say or do anything to change it.” 14 likes
“Seriously, how many times can a person break before the only things left are shattered fragments too small to piece back together?” 12 likes