Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you reading in July 2016?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I was so proud of myself for updating the Books of the Month, and totally forgot about this thing...

So, start the sharing.

message 2: by Michelle Von (new)

Michelle Von (booksteacats) | 123 comments Started The Sandman and the War of Dreams by William Joyce, and I'm going to resume Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6) by Robert Jordan later tonight or tomorrow.

Daniel Ketelhut | 1 comments "The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi.

message 4: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (last edited Jul 05, 2016 06:24AM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I started Guards! Guards! this morning as part of my Discworld-book-a-month-a-thon.

I may also start Hild for AE as my gym read... if I make it to the gym today.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm reading Homeland in audio as my commuting listen - so that's going pretty slow.

I'm also reading Winds of Fury and its not my favorite book in the series. I hate how...almost cartoonish Lackey's villains are in this series. It's all black & white without a hint of grey. There is nothing even remotely redeeming about any of the villains. They are all child molesters, rapists, murderers, torturers, kin slayers and unreasoning despots. All.

And the beginning of Winds of Fury starts with getting the POV of one of the three main baddies. And it's almost disgustingly over done.

I'm re-(re-re-re)reading The Key of the Keplian and then I'm going to read Zarsthor's Bane for a challenge. I need a "Z" book and this one I own, lol.

I recently (finally!) finished up The Other Half of the Sky. It was a mixed bag as anthologies are. But there were some good stories in there so I'm satisfied. I bought the sequel anthology but I'm not particularly excited to read it.

message 6: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments Currently I'm reading The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, and am enjoying it quite a bit. It's just the sort of sci-fi I get into - light on tech and heavy on characters. Fun read so far!

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) I'm still trekking through Malazan with House of Chains.
I'm also planning to read The Shadow Throne because I loved the first book.

message 8: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I'm reading End of Watch & Throne of Glass, and I'm about halfway with each.

message 9: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments I just started The Archived and am enjoying it so far.

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Nearly half-way through The Dead (violent YA zombie horror) and enjoying it so far!

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments I'm still listening to The Death of Dulgath on Audible. I also started reading my second Discworld book with Mort. Discworld is fun :p

message 12: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 69 comments Just finished Alfred the Great: The Man Who Made England, and rather liked it.

message 13: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I just finished The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and I really loved it. Highly recommended!

message 14: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I started Finders Keepers today.

I wasn't planning on it, but I couldn't bring myself to read another page of Hild, and FK was on the front page of my reader from when hubs was reading it, so...

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm reading The Time Traders and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm thinking...I should remove myself from S&L and not try to join any groups reading Andre Norton.

I love her but she's seemingly just not for modern audiences. I'm a little tired of being sad when it seems that everyone dislikes her writing. That way I can remain happy and re-read to my little heart is content.

message 16: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments I am reading Roses and Rot and enjoying it a lot.

message 17: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Finished reading The Dead! It's a violent and, at times sad and depressing tale, but lightened by good humour and hope. A YA horror it can also be described as post-apocalyptic science fiction. It contains plenty of action and is quite a page-turner.

message 18: by Cuniculus (last edited Jul 14, 2016 07:34AM) (new)

Cuniculus Potterton Started Barbara Hambly's Winterlands series last week:

Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) by Barbara Hambly

message 19: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Ekel wrote: "Started Barbara Hambly's Winterlands series last week:

Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) by Barbara Hambly"

I read Those Who Hunt the Night which is a horror/mystery cross-over. I'm intrigued by what her heroic fantasy is like.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael Forester (michaelforester) Reading Shark Alley by Stephen Carver. I should disclose that Dr.Carver is me editor. That aside I'm less than 59 pages in and this work has already distinguished itself as unusually good. Heading for s high star rating methinks (which I don't part with easily) and no, he doesn't know I'm posting this lol

message 22: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments I'm about 25% into Dreamcatcher, and I don't know if I can do it. It's just... Ew. I don't know if it's worth it. I really don't. I like scary / suspense, but this is just stomach turning and gross.

message 23: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 69 comments Currently on The Packard Defence, fourth part of the Empire Dance by Steven Poore. Novella-sized, I think (but 99p, so fair enough).

There are various strands to the story which are initially kept entirely separate but seem to be interweaving a bit more now.

message 24: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments It's finally time! I'm doing it!

I've been wanting to re-read Harry Potter for quite a while now (this will be my 3rd or 4th re-read, I can't exactly recall), but I've been saving it for a special occasion... Having a baby. I didn't know if I'd ever get here, but I knew if I did I'd need something I was guaranteed to love, something light and easy and that didn't put me to sleep. For me, that's HP.

And now it's finally time. The baby will be here in 20 days or less, so HP here I come! I'm so excited. Starting Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone today. Woohoo!

message 25: by Dawn, Dawnerys, Mother of Modding (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 860 comments Also, I put a hold on Dreamcatcher for now. Maybe forever. I like scary, and I can deal with gore, but it's just plain gross. I can't deal with gross right now, maybe later.

message 26: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Dawn wrote: "It's finally time! I'm doing it!

I've been wanting to re-read Harry Potter for quite a while now (this will be my 3rd or 4th re-read, I can't exactly recall), but I've been saving it for a special..."

Congrats on the forthcoming baby, Dawn! :)

Started reading Gridlinked - my first Neal Asher novel - and I'm enjoying it so far.

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Congrats Dawn!

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments Congratulations Dawn!!!

I finished Mort last week. I liked it but I didn't love it, which surprised me since I know it's one of the most loved books in the series.

I went to Lake Michigan over the weekend and did quite a bit of reading. I read Sex Criminals, Volume 1: One Weird Trick & Paper Girls, Vol. 1- oh my God. They were both so. Freaking. Good. I can't wait to get the next volume of Sex Criminals and I'm so bummed that I have to wait for the next volume of Paper Girls :( I also finished listening to The Death of Dulgath- Give me more Hadrian & Royce, please!

While at the beach I started Brooklyn. It's a great vacation read and I'll likely finish it up on my Chicago trip this weekend.

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments Oh and I also started listening to The Fireman!!!

1) The story instantly had me hooked
2) Kate Mulgrew's voice is perfect.

message 30: by Felina (last edited Jul 21, 2016 10:04AM) (new)

Felina Dawn wrote: "I'm about 25% into Dreamcatcher, and I don't know if I can do it. It's just... Ew. I don't know if it's worth it. I really don't. I like scary / suspense, but this is just stomach turn..."

I really enjoyed Dreamcatcher. The (view spoiler) are rough but it's such an interesting story. It's a beautiful story about the power of friendship. I cried.

But I do agree that it's probably not the best book for a new baby.

message 31: by alansplace (new)

alansplace | 38 comments I'm anxiously awaiting the next Dresden Files book (#16) Peace Talks by Jim Butcher (the release date is unannounced), and while waiting I've just begun the 20th Harry Bosch book, The Crossing by Michael Connelly (the last one he's written). I just read this entire series back-to-back and loved every book. Now in addition to Peace Talks I'm also anxiously awaiting the release (in November) of The Wrong Side Of Goodbye, Harry Bosch #21.

message 32: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (last edited Jul 21, 2016 10:29AM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I finished Dream London last night. It was one of those books I just wanted to get through the be finished. And such a fizzle. 2-stars.

Started The God of the Hive this morning, a direct continuation of The Language of Bees (which is actually a mystery novel, and not about bees... Mostly. )

message 33: by Felina (new)

Felina Dresden is another series I started and enjoyed but haven't gotten back to.

message 34: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Felina wrote: "Dresden is another series I started and enjoyed but haven't gotten back to."

I got burned out on Dresden. I need to read Ghost Story just to see if it's worth all the hype - but if I don't like that one, then I think I'm'a gonna call it quits.

message 35: by Felina (new)

Felina I only read the first one. Still good!

message 36: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Felina wrote: "I only read the first one. Still good!"

I might be willing to send you my copies through... 8 or 9, I think?

I'd have to check with Jer first, though.

message 37: by Felina (new)

Felina I would not say no to that.

message 38: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I finished Finders Keepers this morning...

And now my shelf is nekkid!

I don't know what to read...

I didn't get a chance to drop by the library last night (kinda forgot, to be honest), and I won't get another chance until Monday... and I've finished the two books I have out.

I guess I could start I, Lucifer for a buddy read... or I could start End of Watch to finish up the Hodges trilogy... but neither of them are really jumping out at me at present...

*cranky book fussies*

message 39: by Felina (new)

Felina Read an old favorite. Did you like American Gods? You could ramp up for the new tv show. ??

message 40: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I did like American Gods, but I'm not in the mood for something that thick right now...

I'm wanting something light and airy, but I'm just not sure I have such to hand...

*ponders*

message 41: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments I just finished Time Salvager and am currently engrossed in Stiletto.

message 42: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the fabulous fabulaphile wrote: "I did like American Gods, but I'm not in the mood for something that thick right now...

I'm wanting something light and airy, but I'm just not sure I have such to hand...

*ponders*"

What about that book I rec'd? Have you tried it yet?

message 43: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "What about that book I rec'd? Have you tried it yet? "

Which one? There have been a few. ^_^

message 44: by Felina (new)

Felina You couldn't re-read the Ranger Apprentice books. Those were easy and fast.

message 45: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Felina wrote: "You couldn't re-read the Ranger Apprentice books. Those were easy and fast."

I actually reread the first the other day... maybe that's not a bad idea to continue.

message 46: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the fabulous fabulaphile wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "What about that book I rec'd? Have you tried it yet? "

Which one? There have been a few. ^_^"

The historical one. I want to say it has a red cover.

message 47: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "The historical one. I want to say it has a red cover. "

Gunpowder Alchemy?

Gunpowder Alchemy (The Gunpowder Chronicles, #1) by Jeannie Lin

If so, yes, I read it. 2-stars.

message 48: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Awww. Dang.

message 49: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments How about Zodiac?

message 50: by Felina (new)

Felina colleen the fabulous fabulaphile wrote: "Felina wrote: "You couldn't re-read the Ranger Apprentice books. Those were easy and fast."

I actually reread the first the other day... maybe that's not a bad idea to continue."

Woot! I win.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.