Start by marking “The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3)

The Price of Valour

(The Shadow Campaigns #3)

In the latest Shadow Campaigns novel, Django Wexler continues his “epic fantasy of military might and magical conflict”* following The Shadow Throne and The Thousand Names, as the realm of Vordan faces imminent threats from without and within.

In the wake of the King’s death, war has come to Vordan.

The Deputies-General has precarious control of the city, but it is led by a
Published July 9th 2015 by Del Rey (first published July 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Price of Valour, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lorna Freeman
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Petrik
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Flintlock/military fantasy fans
Shelves: owned-ebooks
4.5/5 Stars

Django Wexler brings balance to the force.

In the acknowledgments section of the book, Django stated that this is the first book that he wrote after having heard the response to his previous volumes; contrary to The Shadow Throne, which was almost completed already before The Thousand Names publication. This is also why this book is another great addition to the series.

The Price of Valor is a wonderful balance that resulted from the storytelling direction of the previous two books in T
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WHEW!

What. A. Ride.

Well, I think it's safe to say this is turning out to be one of my all-time favorite series.

I'm 10000% engaged with every single aspect of The Shadow Campaigns.

The politics are intriguing & elaborate with elements that continuously surprise me. The characters are teeming with individuality & complexity; they seem so real that at times I'm taken aback by how acutely I feel my emotions for them.

The perspectives seamlessly interlace into a precise, intelligent story line
Django Wexler
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's the day before the release, so I feel like I should put something here! I hope everyone has as much fun reading the book as I had writing it.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/07/03/b...

The Price of Valor is the third book of The Shadow Campaigns, of which five books have been planned so we are officially now past the half-way point. An epic fantasy series is often at its most precarious when we get to this tricky place between the introduction and the ending, where arguably the best action and excitement is usually packed. However, it appears Django Wexler is not content to slow things down or let his
Haïfa
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can find this review and more at Booksprens.

The Price of Valor finally achieved what its predecessors failed to attain: the perfect balance between military and politics. Some loose threads are being tied up at last and found their place in the bigger picture.

That being said, I sadly struggled during at least the first third of the book. TPoV started with a battle. Given the minimalistic context and an ever growing number of new battalions and regiments, it was really hard for me to visuali
Jody
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The perfect victory is the battle that is decided before it is even fought, and therefore never needs to be fought at all."

The Price of Valor is the third book in Django Wexler's The Shadow Campaigns series, and my favorite book so far. Everything that the first two books have been leading up to is finally in full swing. I was so close to giving books 1 and 2 the full five stars, but there were minor issues that kept me from placing them on that pedestal. Along comes book 3 and I was comple
Rob
Executive Summary: This book combines the excellent military action of the first book with the political intrigue of the second book, making it the best book yet.

Audio book: Richard Poe once again does an excellent job. He makes waiting the few extra days for Audible/Recorded Books to get their act together so I can buy it worth it. :)

Full Review
My review for The Shadow Throne is easily my best, and most popular. I'll likely never top it. Thankfully the same cannot be said for Mr. Wexler.

I'm a
Solseit
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just loved it.
Reading this book around women's day helps in celebrating women; and I just loved it. I wanted to be part of the Girl's Own right there!

I cannot wait to start book 4!
Daniel
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

Što se stila pisanja, akcije, likova kao i samog tempa priče tiče sve je na nivou prethodnih knjiga. Znači na vrhinskom nivou. Lagano štivo koje prosto vuče za dalje čitanje bez dosadnih delova ili nepotrebne ekspozicije.

Ono što mi baš nije leglo prosto osećaj da se gosn. Veksler suviše opustio u ovom svetu pošto generalno slabo šta novog se desilu u ovoj knjizi sem u poslednjih 50 do 100 strana. Mislim ima većih događaja i na početku ali sve ukupno ovo mi je prvi put da imam osećaj da je o
❄️Nani❄️
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fuckin’ love this series.

One of the best military fantasies out there.
Em Lost In Books
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 4-star, 2010-19
I was disappointed in book 2 but this book has restored my faith in this series and Mr. Wexler. Unlike second book which concentrated on politics of Vordan, this book was a perfect blend of battle, magic and politics. And I enjoyed every moment of it.

Marcus and Raesinia stay back in Vordan while Winter is once again on the war front with Janus. She has her own regiment now and she is promoted to a new rank. She wins some great battles and respect of her fellow army men with her calm demeanor and
Dan
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book felt like the nerve-wrecking pay off for the oft-slow second book and oh my, what a pay off it was! I believe this one was even better than the first book, everything just came together in the best kind of ways.

It felt, in many ways, like the conclusion of a big part of this story, putting all the characters in the right place for the explosive next part of it. I believe the stakes will feel bigger from now on and it's completely earned.

It's always nice to feel that a writer hasn't lo
Michael Fletcher
This series just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait for The Guns of Empire!
Freakout
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, fantasy
Excellent!!! This books just keeps getting better and better. Highly recommended !!!
Mark
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think the 5stars, says it all.
Jenna Kathleen
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads, fantasy
I finally got my guillotine in the form of a "merciful" spike to the heart!

The action of The Price of Valour starts much faster than the second book and we are right away thrown into the action. I loved that we got the best of both settings of book one and two: a military campaign led by the ever mysterious Janus, and political conflict with Raesinia and Marcus forming a fantastic partnership.

I hated Jane. I was really hoping (view spoiler)
YouKneeK
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Price of Valor is the third book in Django Wexler’s Shadow Campaigns series. I continue to enjoy this flintlock fantasy series a lot.

There were a few slow spots here and there, and one plot thread that really got on my nerves, but otherwise the story held my attention well and it especially picked up in the second half. There’s a good mix of politics and military action, and the author writes the military action particularly well. It’s usually exciting to read about and it has never yet fel
Jack +Books & Bourbon+
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Been a long time since I've written a GR review, but this book warrants one. Seriously, I'm glad to see the number of positive reviews out there, because at times I think that Mr. Wexler is writing this series just for me...

Let me caveat that statement. I was weaned on fantasy at a young age, first with Tolkien (naturally), and then branching out into the myriad options that were available in the 80's and 90's. And while I have an ingrained appreciation for high fantasy, to say the market is sat
Daniel Millard
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I think I'm done with this series, for better or for worse.

I made it about a third of the way through The Price of Valor as a dedicated, line-for-line read, before I got irritated enough to switch to skimming and relying on synopses to guide me through what I wanted to read.

My high level view of this series is that it falls frustratingly short of what I wanted it to be. Wexler's knowledge and appreciation of warfare in the age of musketry is (at least by my estimation) well-researched and kn
Stefan Bach
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Zašto šah nikada nije izgledao ovako zabavno?

Treća knjiga u serijalu i Vekslerova "Oluja Mačeva", "Republika Lopova" ili njegov "Sunčani Rat"; dakle najbolja knjiga u još-uvek-nezavršenom kvintetu.
Spoj krvave militaristike iz prve knjige i politike, intriga i špijunaže iz drugog dela.

Da nisam toliko pristrasan i zaljubljen u "Hroniku o Kraljoubici" rekao bih da je Rotfusov debi serijal inferioran u odnosu na Vekslerov, ali strpiću se i sačekaću da obojica privedu kraju svoje knjige, kako bih
Skylar Phelps
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.0 Stars :)

A definite improvement from book two. I hesitate to say it’s as good as The Thousand Names but there was a lot to like about this one.

Muskets and magic, what an explosively fun combo!
Geoff
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, library
The 3rd entry in The Shadow Campaigns is back to the quality of the first book, in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure every review mentions this, but Wexler really nailed the mix between the military campaign (with Winter & Janus) and the Vordan political situation (with Marcus & Raes) in The Price of Valor.

I really like Winter's devotion to her regiment, her friends and the campaign. I think there are a lot of ways that Winter could be a bad character, but Wexler nails it. She's likable and fe
Scott
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Damn, this series just continues to amaze and entertain. This was probably the best of the three so far, but it definitely could have benefited from more editing (or just a better editor.) For such an amazing story, it was frustrating to get taken out of it by mistakes.

Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints. I continue to love watching Winter make her way through this world and she came across some interesting challenges. The enigma of Janus never ceases and Marcus is loyal as ever.

I
Tani
I am completely in love with this series. I will admit that right from the start. I love all of the amazing women that Django Wexler writes in his books. I love the complex moral situations. I love the magic of demons, and I love the creepy power of the Penitent Damned. I love the battles and the strategy and how I can follow it with just as much interest as I do the characters. I love Winter and Raesinia and Cyte and Abby and Jane and even Marcus (most of the time). I love the way that these bo ...more
Liviu
weakest of the 3 installments so far as it is a clear transition books covering needed events and bringing only relatively little new - though the ending is excellent and promises much for the last 2 volumes - but the main characters (Winter, Marcus, Raesinia) still shine, Janus is still mysterious and the bad guys are as before, while the writing kept me turning the pages till the end

overall - while not quite as good as the first two, still very entertaining and next one should be better as the
Suzanne
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was really an enjoyable entry in the series, combining the political machinations of the second book with the battles of the first. Oh yeah, and there is magic, specifically demons. I hated some characters (one in particular), loved some, and still am wondering about one.

Anyway, a great book and I highly recommend it. I'm excited to see where it will go.
Anirudh
Dec 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I think I have mentioned this before in an earlier review but I will mention it again. I think the first book and the sequels were written by two different people. I don't know how else to explain the collapse in quality post book one.

The Price of Valor sadly, does not have even a single redeeming feature. It is a disaster from start to finish. So many things go wrong that it becomes a pain to read.

To start with, this is the "Crossroads of Twilight"of the Shadow campaigns series. Meaning it ha
Blodeuedd Finland
Hmm *reading the review of book 2* It seems I have the same issues with this one as I had with book 2. There I wanted it to be all war and camp, and yes the good parts here were war and camp. That is what he does best.

The parts with Winter were the best parts. She were leading the troops, marching, camping, dealing with issues since they now have the Girl's Own company and that brings out a lot of tensions. There are skirmishes and battles along the way. Winter is growing in her boots as she is
Nico
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The third book in The Shadow Campaigns was more to my liking than the second book, where the political intrigues in the capital were the main story. Now we finally get back to the great battles I liked from the first books. Very well described and action packed fights. As a back story a small detective plot to get a glimpse of what's happening in Vordan city, though I kind of didn't really care about the Marcus/Raesinia storyline it was quite enjoyable.
On the whole once again a solid book by Dja
Kristobelle
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
It's 5am and I just finished The Price of Valour .. So, you work it out.. I rarely read for 6 hours straight, so Wexler must've been doing something right! I'd review this a little more succinctly but, being 5 am and all.. I have the eye strength of a 2 hour old kitten... So, this is what you get:

If you love flintlock fantasy that has fully rendered characters with continuous development, relationships that ring true (cause unless there is a sense of flummoxed, it just isn't realistic!), demony

• The Dread Wyrm (The Traitor Son Cycle, #3)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Spider's War (The Dagger and the Coin, #5)
  • The Scarlet Tides (Moontide Quartet, #2)
  • Sword of the North (Grim Company, #2)
  • The Shattered Crown (Steelhaven, #2)
  • She Who Waits (Low Town, #3)
  • Saint's Blood (Greatcoats, #3)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • Seal of the Worm (Shadows of the Apt, #10)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • The Ace of Skulls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #4)
Django Wexler graduated from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh with degrees in creative writing and computer science, and worked for the university in artificial intelligence research. Eventually he migrated to Microsoft in Seattle, where he now lives with two cats and a teetering mountain of books. When not planning Shadow Campaigns, he wrangles computers, paints tiny soldiers, and plays g ...more

The Shadow Campaigns (5 books)
  • The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • The Infernal Battalion (The Shadow Campaigns, #5)
“Three men can keep a secret only once two of them are at the bottom of the river.” 6 likes
“But there was never any arguing with Janus, least of all from the other end of a flik-flik line.” 3 likes