Jump to ratings and reviews

Ranger's Apprentice #2

The Burning Bridge

Bracing for a final clash with the evil warlord Morgarath, the Rangers rally the kingdom's allies, and Will is chosen, along with his friend Horace, as special envoys to nearby Celtica. But the simple mission soon takes an unsettling turn - the Celticans have disappeared, their town abandoned. The scheming hand of Morgarath, it seems, has been far from idle. He has found a way to bring his legions over the once impassible eastern mountains and is planning to ambush the king's army in a rout. Now with help many miles away, Will and Horace are the only ones standing in the way of the dark lord's plans. They have shown great skill and courage in their training, but how will they fare in the face of true evil?

With bigger battles and higher stakes, John Flanagan's epic adventure charges ahead with this rousing follow-up to The Ruins of Gorlan.

262 pages, Hardcover

First published May 2, 2005

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

John Flanagan

101 books8,059 followers

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It turned out one of the company directors agreed with John's assessment of the executive, and happily agreed to train John in copywriting.

After writing advertising copy for the next two decades, John teamed with an old friend to develop a television sitcom, Hey Dad!, which went on to air for eight years.

John began writing Ranger's Apprentice for his son, Michael, ten years ago, and is still hard at work on the series.

He currently lives in a suburb of Manly, Australia, with his wife. In addition to their son, they have two grown daughters and four grandsons.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2,445 (2%)
1 star
815 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 3,801 reviews
Profile Image for Amreen.
79 reviews26 followers
June 14, 2014
Me before reading The Burning Bridge: Oh my gosh I'm so excited to read this, ugh but I have other books to read but Im going to abandon those for this one because I miss Will's adventures.

Me immediately after reading The Burning Bridge: OH MY FUDGE GOSH WHAT? NO WTH THERE HAS TO BE MORE THERE HAS TO BE MORE AHHHHHHHHHHHH *scream that lasts for 10 minutes then slowly transfers into sobs* NO NO NO NO I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THIS IS THE END AHHHHHHHHHHHH IT CAN'T END LIKE THIS MACARONI NOT FAIR NOT FAIR!!!!! I am honestly at a loss for words except for WHAT THE IN THE NAME OF KING DUNCAN JUST HAPPENED? Honestly THEE most torturing CLIFFIE in history of books. I am seething. Ugh this is so BLAH

I will go get a snack and do a proper review after I gather my thoughts and mop up the sea of tears that have splattered my floor. If you'll excuse me *sniff sniff*

.................

Okay I have returned more emotionally stable.

So this is the 2nd(epic) installment in the Ranger's Apprentice series by Mr Flanagan. I have to say I like this sequel better than the 1st. Don't get me wrong though, the 1st is incredible as well. But there's a lot more action in this one and Gilan got a bigger role in it.

I can't really explain the plot without giving several things away so I'll just say that the Kingdom is preparing for a vicious war against Morgarath (Evil bad guy) and Will, Horace, and Gilan must stop his treacherous plans.

Along the way they encounter everything from Wargals (creatures that work for Morgarath) Skandians(actually pretty chill group of men but also working for Morgarath) and a girl who goes by the name Evanlyn.

The writing was very good, detailed but not repetitive. I loved everything about the book. The characters were all extremely likable except for the bad guys of course. I was actually really scared for them when they were left alone (won't tell you who but the point is I felt emotion and general attachment to the characters)

The ending I knew was coming because of the title of the next one in the series but I refused to believe it until I was on page 262 even then staring dumb-fonded as I refused to believe it could end like that. Ughh I hate cliffiessssss.

I'm dying to read the next one ASAP! Highly recommend the whole series to everyone and I haven't even read all of them yet. Hehe really good book though, 5 well-deserved stars!
Profile Image for Ahmad Sharabiani.
9,568 reviews55.6k followers
August 27, 2017
The burning bridge (Ranger's Apprentice #2), John Flanagan
The Burning Bridge is the second book of the Ranger's Apprentice series written by Australian author John Flanagan. It was released in Australia on 5 May 2005. On a special mission for the Ranger Corps, Will, his friend Horace, and the Ranger Gilan travel to Celtica, a neighbouring country to Araluen. They discover that all the people have vanished. Will and Horace wonder if all the villagers have been slain or captured, but Gilan believes that the evil Lord Morgarath devised a plan to cross the mountain pass faster. If that were true, and the King wasn't warned, the country would be destroyed. Gilan rides to warn King Duncan, and Will and Horace begin to follow a straggling Wargal force. On their way, they come across a girl named Evanlyn, who claims to be a maid to a lady of the Araluan court, but is actually the Princess herself. When the three of them follow the dimwitted Wargals they discover that a gargantuan bridge is in the process of being built across The impassable Fissure for their war party to cross. They also discover that the King's army will be trapped on the Plains of Uthal, because the plans that Halt captured were merely a ruse. Will burns the bridge with Evanlyn's help. Evanlyn tries to warn Will about a rock thrown by a Skandian but is too late giving a chance for a Skandian to grab them. Will and Evanlyn are taken captive by the group of Skandians ruled by Jarl Erak. Fortunately, Horace was able to escape their grasp. After, he tells the King and his aides about what is going to happen, the army starts to get prepared for the army that is supposed to attack them from behind, Halt is sent to take care of them with a force of cavalry and archer units (an archer and pikeman). In the middle of the battle, Morgarath calls a truce and challenges Halt to a duel, but king Duncan forbids it. Then, unexpectedly, Horace challenges Morgarath to single combat. About to be defeated by Morgarath, Horace then, in a last-ditch attempt to win the battle, throws himself into the path of the battlehorse, to throw it off-balance. He is successful, but only manages to wind Morgarath. Morgarath is confident that he is going to win by a last powerful stroke of his broadsword, but Horace blocks it with the double-knife defence that Gilan taught Will and stabs Morgarath to win the battle. The Wargals become harmless as soon as Morgarath dies and the mind domination is broken. Immediately Halt goes looking for Will and Cassandra but fails and so the Skandians escape to Skandia to sell Will and Princess Cassandra as slaves.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دهم ژانویه سال 2013 میلادی
عنوان: پل آتشین - جنگاوران جوان کتاب دوم؛ نویسنده: جان آنتونی فلانیگان (فلناگان)؛ مترجم: مسعود ملک یاری؛ تهران، افق، 1391؛ در 423 ص؛ مجموعه جنگاوران جوان کتاب 2؛ شابک: 9789643698072؛ موضوع: رمان نوجوانان و داستانهای کودکان از نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 21 م
پل آتشین عنوان دومین کتاب از سری داستان‌های شاگرد رنجر (جنگاوران جوان) اثر: جان آنتونی فلنگن نویسنده استرالیایی می‌باشد. کتاب در 5 ماه می سال 2005 میلادی در استرالیا منتشر شد. خلاصه: پانزده سال است که اهالی آرالوئن در صلح و صفا روزگار میگذرانند. چرا که مورگاراث اهریمنی نتوانتسته پایش را از کوهستان باران و ظلمت بیرون بگذارد. اما او بار دیگر دسیسه کرده است. گیلان، ویل و دوستش هوراس که جنگجویی جوان است در ماموریت ویژه‌ ای به سرزمین همسایه می‌روند. ولی اهالی یل فرار کرده یا اسیر شده‌ است. ا. شربیانی
Profile Image for ambsreads.
656 reviews1,403 followers
July 31, 2016
WARNING: THIS REVIEW IS SUPER RAMBLY AND PROBABLY NOT THAT GREAT

Burning Bridge is the second book in The Ranger's Apprentice series. It really picks up from where book one finishes, continuing to follow the story of the characters we were introduced to and following a few more.

Whereas the first book can be seen as boring for 80% of the book, The Burning Bridge has a lot more plot for the reader to immerse themselves in. When I first read this book in 2010 I remember not being able to put it down, staying up late by using my lamp and covering the cracks of my door with jumpers so no one would know - obviously I was a big rebel.

The Burning Bridge focuses primarily on Will, Gilan and Horace. They are on a quest, so to say, to visit the Celtics in order to provide information about an upcoming war. However, upon arrival it is obvious something is amiss. The Celtics, who are stated to be clean people, have left watch bases abandoned and not in the standard they would. The trio continue further into villages to find more or less the same thing only to learn they have been outsmarted. Basically the plot line, so much more happens that I don't want to mention due to spoilers as well.

Characters

With characters we get so many perspectives I can't really focus on certain primary characters in order to fill this section of my review. What is needed to know is we get humour from each perspective. As well as gaining insights between the trio and Halt back at the castle where he seems to be throwing Lords in moats.

World-Building

The world building wasn't as vital or obvious in this book, since so much had been established in the previous book. It was still present however with how the author described the characters and added a slight magical twist to it all. It was alluring in the sense it is both historical and fanatical.

Overall

Overall, this review is incredibly scattered but I woke up at 5am so I'm giving myself a break personally. I enjoyed this book immensely. Seeing Alyss and Halt interact was hilarious, as well was finding out about him and Lady Pauline. I absolutely adore the characters of this series and would, without a doubt, recommend it to people who are unsure if they should pick it up. It's worth the read.

"I'll find you, Will!"
Profile Image for Valerie.
285 reviews11 followers
December 31, 2008
Really, if I could give 6 stars, this series would get them. They are so good. I love the characters, good and bad, and the way we are seeing them grow up or older. There is so much action and adventure, very much like Lord of the Rings. Love these books.
Profile Image for George Jankovic.
140 reviews87 followers
October 24, 2016
Wow! I loved this book. While the first book in the series was good, this one was great. There was more action, more humor, a good battle, and a fantastic cliffhanger at the end. Enjoy!
Profile Image for Daniel.
746 reviews72 followers
September 3, 2015
Još uvek nekako naivno ali ipak priča kajo drži pažnju i koja se već bavi malo težim temama. Svet je dobio malo više world building-a, upoznali još jedan narod (površno, za sada) i jedna od pretnji je rešena tako da me interesuje šta nas čeka u nastavku što je uvek plus kada knjiga ode ne očekivanim pravcom.

Jedino što mrzim kada se knjiga završi cliffhanger-om. Grrrrrr.

Ali ako kod svake knjige nastavi ovako da raste kvalitet biće ovo odličan serijal.

Ako vam treba fantazija za mlađu publiku svaka preporuka.
Profile Image for Josiah.
3,201 reviews142 followers
June 10, 2021
Even under Halt's tutelage, years of training will be needed for Will to become a Ranger. In this era of war, though, he'll only have months before being required to perform like one. It seems to be an important victory when Halt and Will ambush a small party of Wargals, slaying the violent creatures and discovering a written plan for Lord Morgarath's next siege against the Kingdom of Araluen. Morgarath was banished fifteen years ago for exerting mind control over the Wargals and using them to attack Araluen, but Halt turned the tide of battle against Morgarath at the eleventh hour. Foreknowledge of the evil lord's plans will be key in stopping his assault on the kingdom's fifty fiefs a second time. It could be Araluen's saving grace...if the plans are authentic.

A reconnaissance mission to Celtic lands is necessary to warn the people, but Halt is needed elsewhere. So Gilan—Halt's first apprentice, a master swordsman and tracker—heads the mission, joined by Will and Horace, a Battleschool apprentice whose childhood rivalry with Will resolved itself in book one, The Ruins of Gorlan. In Celtica they find deserted villages and homes that appear to have been vacated some time ago. Why did the Celts disappear without notifying anyone? Gilan, Will, and Horace's worst suspicions are confirmed when they meet Evanlyn, a frightened teen girl who says that Wargals raided the region and killed her companions. Morgarath's push for war with Araluen is escalating rapidly, but his actions don't match the written plans that Halt and Will found. What is the Lord of Rain and Night's real strategy, and what are mere feint tactics to deceive Araluen's braintrust?

Observing how Halt misses having Will around, Baron Arald and Lady Pauline of Castle Redmont temporarily assign young Alyss to him. The apprentice ambassador enlivens the Ranger's daily life, but Halt is concerned for Will out in the countryside where deadly enemies roam. Will struggled in his most recent combat with the aggressive Wargals; if they meet again, can Gilan coach him to win the fight and restore Will's confidence? Gilan is the team leader, but Will and Horace are capable apprentices and Evanlyn is a keen strategist, and they deduce that Morgarath has a hidden design for Araluen's destruction. His vast Wargal army is bottled up on the wrong side of a mountain pass, unable to invade the kingdom in large numbers, but Morgarath has devised a solution to the problem. There's no time to head home and alert King Duncan, but a bold gambit by Will, Horace, and Evanlyn could shut down Morgarath's path and allow opportunity for Araluen to shore up its vulnerabilities. The time is now for Will to act as a Ranger and Horace a knight, but can two apprentices and a plucky friend actually defeat the dark lord who has tormented Araluen since before any of them were born?

Will couldn't have a better mentor than Halt. Will had nascent Ranger abilities and a good heart, but needed Halt to show him what separates a real warrior from the romanticized version in most people's minds. Will and Halt spend most of The Burning Bridge apart, so we miss out on this continuing education, but there are a few bright spots of wisdom. Will recalls Halt's advice while he's scouting an empty tract of land. "Whenever you're scouting...move as if there's somebody there to see you. Never assume that you're on your own." Peril is ever-present when you're taking sensitive action. Why risk your life if a bit of discipline can shield you from disaster? Halt treated Will with indifference for most of the first book, like an inconvenience he tolerated out of professional duty, but clearly he sees Will as more than that. Lady Pauline understands the gift Will is to Halt. "He's amusing and interesting and talkative and cheerful. I should imagine he's brightened Halt's life quite considerably." The freshness of youth is impossible to duplicate, invigorating the old and tired with new sense of purpose. In its absence, it is painfully obvious how dreary life becomes. Will has grave doubts after his botched encounter with the Wargals, and needs Halt's wisdom to heal his resolve, but Gilan will have to suffice. The young Ranger assures Will that fear is normal, and cautions him not to obsess over past mistakes. "Self-doubt is a disease. And if it gets out of control, it becomes self-fulfilling. You have to learn from what happened...Use the experience to make you stronger." Self-doubt can cause devastating erosion of elite potential; it's crucial to focus on your action in the moment and do it to the best of your ability, trusting your training and discipline. That's the only way for Will to grow into the Ranger that Halt is confident he can be, and is perhaps Araluen's only chance of survival against the approaching menace of Morgarath. Will good triumph over evil when the final battle commences?

The Burning Bridge isn't as deeply wise as The Ruins of Gorlan, and doesn't have the same easy flow. Its life lessons are less extensive and directly applicable to the reader, and particular plot points could be more subtle. But it's a solid novel; I came close to rounding my two-and-a-half-star rating to three, and the emotional ending leads into the next book with redoubled energy and direction. Will's challenges as he grows into a good man and Ranger are only going to get harder, and he'll have to surmount them mostly by himself. Will he take another big stride in The Icebound Land? I look forward to finding out.
Profile Image for Jackie.
4,037 reviews46 followers
March 10, 2008
The author’s command of the language allows the continuation of the story of The Ranger's Apprentice to flow with ease and familiarity. Characters become those you care about, nervous and anxious when they are in danger and happy and satisfied when a job is well-done. The on-going story starts with the The Ruins of Gorlan and your memory is refreshed in such a way that it is not merely rehashing and reiterating the beginning over again , but a gentle reminder of what proceeded at the start of the saga.

Halt, and his apprentice Ranger, Will are continuing their training of the ranger method, as Horace, Will's orphanage mate, is training on the battleschool field. The first inklings of an invasion by evil and sadistic Morgarath and his Wargals is becoming apparent. Gilan, a trusted fellow ranger, was the first ranger trained by Halt.He is sent on a mission with Will and Horace to enlist the help of the secretive Celtica nation, a nation known for their mastery of mining, welding and tunnel excavations. When passing through many towns in Celtica, an ominous foreboding is surrounding the towns…they are virtually empty of life and it is evident that they have left their homes in haste. What happened to them? Why does Gilan, Halt and Horace sense that it has something to do with Morgarath?

An adventure story, touched ever-so-slightly by fantasy elements, is filled with battle strategy and maneuvers,strong yet compassionate men, no-good, money loving mercenaries and intelligent and beautiful women. The Wargals, half-men half-bearlike creatures are controlled by Morgarath. Their brute force is unmatched, yet their every move is controlled through the brain-washing effects dictated by Morgarath. Will, Horace, Gilan and Halt combine efforts to aid King Duncan of Araluen in the defeat of Morgarath. Will, Horace, Halt and Gilan , along with newcomer Evanlyn (Cassandra)all contribute to Morgarath's demise, but the story does not end conveniently, as Will and Evanlyn, seemed doomed to a life of slavery with their capture by the Skandias. Will Halt let that happen? I assume we will all find out in the third book of the series.
Profile Image for Kasia (kasikowykurz).
1,092 reviews27 followers
May 18, 2022
Druga połowa zdecydowanie lepsza, na początku w ogóle nie kliknęło. Zastanawia mnie fakt, że w trakcie słuchania (świetne audio!) bawię się naprawdę przekozacko i zapewne wciągnę całą serię i jej kontynuację, ale gdy skończę i minie trochę czasu to nie sposób się nie zastanawiać, jak bardzo przewidywalna jest. Mam nadzieję, że nie będzie tak w przypadku każdego tomu, ale już na samym początku można przewidzieć, jak zostanie poprowadzona.

Zapewne 15 lat temu cieszyłabym się i pochłaniała tom za tom, ale dziś trochę mnie to niepokoi, bo czytać czternaście razy o tym samym to trochę słaby biznes. Póki co jestem zainteresowana, zresztą bardzo polubiłam bohaterów, więc pewnie na dużą ilość rzeczy przymknę oko. Ale jednak.
Profile Image for Annalise Nakoneczny.
596 reviews6 followers
May 22, 2021
OKAY THIS SERIES IS JUST SO MUCH FUN. It feels like a classic, with clear lines drawn between good and evil, spunky, vibrant characters, and a lot of heart. Flanagan writes about this fantastical world realistically-- I felt like I learned a lot about strategy and fighting and survival. Super cool. My eyes got really big reading the last couple of chapters and surprising me is always a good thing.
Profile Image for Roxanne.
Author 1 book52 followers
June 2, 2022
June 2022: My daughter has been super into these books, but was totally devastated at the ending here. We had such a great time reading it together and she was really enjoying it, but the cliffhanger ending and her reaction to it really soured the whole experience for me. I tried to console her by saying more adventures in Skandia were ahead, but she said, “I like the adventures in Araluen where he’s just being an apprentice!” Too true.

Original 2009 review: I still really like Will's character in this second book of the series. However, (spoiler alert) I was shocked to see Morgarath get killed. He's been set up to be the Big Bad, so I thought for sure he'd get away at the last instant of the single combat and escape to the mountains to attack again later. I was really surprised that Horace managed to kill him, and also impressed at Flanagan's daring in writing it that way. It's a YA series, so it would have been really easy to keep Morgarath in a Big Bad, Voldemort sort of role, but it looks as though Flanagan wants to do more with the series. Which is exciting, but which also apparently involves poor Will getting kidnapped by Skandians! Which, I mean, when Phedre got sold to the Skandians in the Jacqueline Carey books, no good came of it. (Ha ha, I love it when I can make cross-series connections that were never intended by the author.) I was really worried about Will, and I'm not sure where the next book is going. Which means I need to read it immediately, and luckily my dad has lent me books 2 through 5! Off I go!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Olivia.
9 reviews
October 26, 2011
This book is very well written, not only grammatically, but in the emotion that the author can draw out of the reader. The story plot line is exceptional, and creates a world you can truly believe exists. This atmosphere in the book is so realistic, you become immersed in the world inside the book. The book is actually the second in a series. However, in the first two pages it explains the background, and then dives right in, not wasting time on lengthy unnecessary explanations. The story begins in an exciting manner, with a chase, a capture of battle plans, and the beginning of a war. The story continues, growing in excitement, and subterfuge. Though the plot thickens, it does not become over complicated and it creates an almost perfect balance of characters, emotions and plot lines. Everything that happens to the characters pulls at you, compelling you to feel what they feel.

This book is excellently written and I would recommend it for anyone at any age. It is a book that many, no matter what age will find enjoyable to read.

I loved reading this book because this book created one of the most realistic worlds I have encountered in a book. This book also balanced all of the elements, ensuring I wouldn't get confused, while also adding depth.
Profile Image for Joanne.
701 reviews16 followers
January 4, 2021
These books are just so enjoyable and the narrator is amazing. The characters are well constructed and so is the story and the world that has been created. This ones ends with kind of a cliff hanger so if you want to know what happens you have no choice but to read book 3.
Profile Image for Darren Hagan-Loveridge.
271 reviews38 followers
August 1, 2020
Loved it! That ending was very frantic and fast-paced, and had me on the edge of my seat.

Definitely feeling hooked on this series. 2 down, 10 to go!
Profile Image for luvmyromanoff .
160 reviews7 followers
February 3, 2022
zakończenie złamało mi serce, tak czy inaczej kocham tą serię, comfort książki
Profile Image for Status Książka ;) .
258 reviews4 followers
June 9, 2022
Super, fajny wątek z nowa postacią. Kinda plot twisty pod koniec. Sięgnę po tom następny.
Profile Image for Kadi P.
740 reviews94 followers
June 29, 2022
*More like 3.5 stars than 3.*

An increasingly suspenseful read set on the cusp of war, this started out a little shakily, then grew more confident, only to become self-inflated and implode by the end.

There was a certain nostalgic feel to this book. It had an air of warmth and familiarity to it, despite the character interactions being fresh due to entirely new pairings, and that made this an enjoyable and interesting read. There was heartfelt camaraderie, good-natured banter, and strategic planning in almost every chapter.

Beyond the light jokes and sweet moments there were a few shortcomings, though. The book’s lack of a map was odd considering the great amount of geography continuously mentioned throughout the book and the way characters travelled to many different locations. The entire plot hinged on the geography of the lands and yet there wasn’t a single diagram or map to help the reader better understand the confusing layout of the areas. The descriptions were plentiful and they clearly tried to paint a comprehensive picture, but it would’ve made for more enjoyable reading if a map was included to aid the reader’s understanding of what was going on in the different areas throughout the book.

And whilst the pacing was not too bad—the build up was steady enough and the reveals were well-timed—the conclusion was rushed and the end was a shocker. The decision to not only change the course of the larger overarching plot to such an extent as to decimate it completely (due to an unreasonable and ridiculous twist, no less), but also to change the location of the protagonist’s next adventure, was a decision so grave that it overwhelmed everything that came before it in this book, even threatening to undermine the entire series after dislodging the clear foundations built up in The Ruins of Gorlan and here, too. It was certainly enough to pull what would’ve been a 4 star read down to 3.5 stars.

After the cliffhanger ending the future of this series hangs in the balance and, although The Icebound Land could still be great, the series is no longer going in a direction that is expected nor particularly wanted.
Profile Image for _och_man_.
150 reviews3 followers
December 30, 2021
Nie czuję żadnego przywiązania do tej historii. Idealne podsumowanie mojego zaangażowania? Wątek bitewny przyjęłam z podobnym entuzjazmem, jaki towarzyszył mi przy słuchaniu narzekań pewnej postaci na niezbyt smaczny posiłek. To dziwne, ale większą radość czerpałam z lektury pierwszej części - mimo, iż była ona w głównej mierze wprowadzająca i zwyczajnie sucha.
Wynudziłam się przeokrutnie. Książka zakończyła się w momencie, który większość czytelników przyprawia o białą gorączkę, a ja tym bardziej nie chcę brnąć w to dalej.
Profile Image for Saul the Heir of Isauldur.
149 reviews41 followers
June 20, 2019
This review originally published in Phantases and Other Funny Words

Note: Below, my review is split into two parts. The first gives my general thoughts on the book, and the second details spoilers and major plot points. Be warned.

Part One: Overview
Much of what I said about the previous book applies to The Burning Bridge as well. The characters, yet again, are developed on a very basic level. The world is hardly expanded, and even the new things we learn about Araluen and its surroundings are based so heavily on the real world that they’re hardly new information.

Morgarath, whose name should have told anyone who ever met him that he was evil, is not much of a threatening villain. While he does pose a threat to the main characters and to the kingdom of Araluen, he’s not exactly memorable or interesting. He is, simply put, an obstacle to be overcome.
However, I had fun reading The Burning Bridge. It’s another adventure with very simple but passable characters. This time Will and Horace are together for most of the book, and that allows the reader to notice their budding friendship. It’s not as iconic as that of, say, Sherlock and Watson, or Frodo and Sam, but there is potential in the way the characters are written. The battle scenes were written with great attention placed to the strategies of the armies. This did get a little tiresome after the eight or nine of nothing but battle, but it is still impressive how far Flanagan went to make his battles feel realistic, planned out and intelligent.

Overall, an enjoyable read. I’ll continue reading the Ranger’s Apprentice series to see where it goes.

Part Two: Overview
The only major problem I had with the second entry in the series was that only three events of major importance happen in the entire book: Celtica is invaded, the titular bridge is burned and Will is captured by Skandian mercenaries. Quite frankly, these details could have likely all been covered in the first book. The Burning Bridge ends with the final battle against Morgarath, so thematically, this book could have been coupled with the first one to make a single, cohesive novel. As it stands, it’s not bad at all, but it is a little slow and does drag at times, especially in the scenes where the characters have little or nothing to do except sit around and talk to each other.

The reveal of Evanlyn not being who she says she is was a little transparent. However, it’s maybe excusable because the author never pretends that this is some grand mystery. From the moment that Evanlyn/Cassandra is introduced, she shows hints of not being who she says she is, and even the characters draw attention to this. It’s not so much a mystery for us, the readers, as it is for the characters themselves.

I, for one, am glad that we’re done with Morgarath. He wasn’t very well built-up as a force to be reckoned with or even as a decent antagonist. As I already mentioned, he was but an obstacle for the main characters. I hope that the next books are less conventional, with more twists and turns to the plot than what The Burning Bridge gave us. It was a small-scale adventure that advanced the overall narrative only marginally, and which culminated with a grand battle.
18 reviews
February 14, 2017
This book was pretty interesting. It all started in the kingdom of Aularan where all good rangers are which Will a seventeen years old is one of the rangers. And theirs the Morgarath which is the evil one. So what happened is that Will and the other rangers found something strange which the evil Morgarath doesn't attack often in the Aularan kingdom anymore. Then the rangers decides to sneak in to the Mirgarath. And they see that their preparing an attack. One thing I liked about the book was the fighting. One thing I didn't liked about book was theirs always one important character that dies.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 3,801 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.