Start by marking “The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)

The Burning Bridge

(Ranger's Apprentice #2)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  92,048 ratings  ·  2,721 reviews

Bracing for a final clash with the evil warlord Morgarath, the Rangers rally the kingdom's allies, and Will is chosen, along with his friend Horace, as special envoys to nearby Celtica. But the simple mission soon takes an unsettling turn - the Celticans have disappeared, their town abandoned. The scheming hand of Morgarath, it seems, has been far from idle. He has found a

Published June 8th 2006 by Philomel Books (first published January 1st 2005)

Amreen
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Me before reading The Burning Bridge: Oh my gosh I'm so excited to read this, ugh but I have other books to read but Im going to abandon those for this one because I miss Will's adventures.

Me immediately after reading The Burning Bridge: OH MY FUDGE GOSH WHAT? NO WTH THERE HAS TO BE MORE THERE HAS TO BE MORE AHHHHHHHHHHHH *scream that lasts for 10 minutes then slowly transfers into sobs* NO NO NO NO I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THIS IS THE END AHHHHHHHHHHHH IT CAN'T END LIKE THIS MACARONI NOT FAIR NOT F
Ahmad Sharabiani
The burning bridge (Ranger's Apprentice #2), John Flanagan
The Burning Bridge is the second book of the Ranger's Apprentice series written by Australian author John Flanagan. It was released in Australia on 5 May 2005. On a special mission for the Ranger Corps, Will, his friend Horace, and the Ranger Gilan travel to Celtica, a neighbouring country to Araluen. They discover that all the people have vanished. Will and Horace wonder if all the villagers have been slain or captured, but Gilan believ
ambsreads
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
WARNING: THIS REVIEW IS SUPER RAMBLY AND PROBABLY NOT THAT GREAT

Burning Bridge is the second book in The Ranger's Apprentice series. It really picks up from where book one finishes, continuing to follow the story of the characters we were introduced to and following a few more.

Whereas the first book can be seen as boring for 80% of the book, The Burning Bridge has a lot more plot for the reader to immerse themselves in. When I first read this book in 2010 I remember not being able to put it dow
Valerie
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Really, if I could give 6 stars, this series would get them. They are so good. I love the characters, good and bad, and the way we are seeing them grow up or older. There is so much action and adventure, very much like Lord of the Rings. Love these books.
Daniel
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Još uvek nekako naivno ali ipak priča kajo drži pažnju i koja se već bavi malo težim temama. Svet je dobio malo više world building-a, upoznali još jedan narod (površno, za sada) i jedna od pretnji je rešena tako da me interesuje šta nas čeka u nastavku što je uvek plus kada knjiga ode ne očekivanim pravcom.

Jedino što mrzim kada se knjiga završi cliffhanger-om. Grrrrrr.

Ali ako kod svake knjige nastavi ovako da raste kvalitet biće ovo odličan serijal.

Ako vam treba fantazija za mlađu publiku svaka
George Jankovic
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I loved this book. While the first book in the series was good, this one was great. There was more action, more humor, a good battle, and a fantastic cliffhanger at the end. Enjoy!
Jackie
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
The author’s command of the language allows the continuation of the story of The Ranger's Apprentice to flow with ease and familiarity. Characters become those you care about, nervous and anxious when they are in danger and happy and satisfied when a job is well-done. The on-going story starts with the The Ruins of Gorlan and your memory is refreshed in such a way that it is not merely rehashing and reiterating the beginning over again , but a gentle reminder of what proceeded at the start of th ...more
Elizabeth Dragina
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing sequel!! Also Will.... you just can't do this to me!!
Olivia
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is very well written, not only grammatically, but in the emotion that the author can draw out of the reader. The story plot line is exceptional, and creates a world you can truly believe exists. This atmosphere in the book is so realistic, you become immersed in the world inside the book. The book is actually the second in a series. However, in the first two pages it explains the background, and then dives right in, not wasting time on lengthy unnecessary explanations. The story begins ...more
Leona  Carstairs
Gretchen Rubin
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gosh I love having a new fantasy YA series to read!
Ranie C
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was pretty interesting. It all started in the kingdom of Aularan where all good rangers are which Will a seventeen years old is one of the rangers. And theirs the Morgarath which is the evil one. So what happened is that Will and the other rangers found something strange which the evil Morgarath doesn't attack often in the Aularan kingdom anymore. Then the rangers decides to sneak in to the Mirgarath. And they see that their preparing an attack. One thing I liked about the book was the ...more
Ryelor
May 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
I tried to give this series a fair shot, I really did. After the first book I wasn't convinced but figured that a lot of series get better as the story advances. Unfortunately, I enjoyed this novel less than the first one. Granted, the concept of rangers was very appealing, and I really wanted to lose myself in the novel, but for some reason I could not get into Falanagan's writing style or the way he forms his prose. His writing has a very "spoken" quality to it, meaning it reads as if he relat ...more
Roxanne
Oct 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Dan
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
So far, I am really enjoying this series.
Andrew Fox
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great follow up to the 1st book.

Will has gained lots a fame but not from wealth
Everyone knew him because of his stealth
He was a very big threat
His enemys should always be in fret
Claire
Oh, being young and having such fantasy to read:-) I think the series is good and I really enjoy reading it. Of course there are better, more complete fantasy series, but for a young public, dreaming of princes and monsters and epic battles, this book is just great!
For an older reader like me: it is a quick escapist read that is really enjoyable and has the advantage of being very well written.
A 3,5 stars, even more like a 4 stars.
Marky
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favorites
Jop, už jsem zase zhltla další díl. A je to boží!
Víc akce, víc plánování, víc boje a víc přátelství...
Jenom bych uvítala víc Halta, ale jinak to bylo skvělé!
A ten konec? TO byl konec? Vážně, málem jsem začala brečet!
4,5/5*
rachel
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Burning Bridge was a fantastic sequel in the Ranger's Apprentice series. It was just as good, if not better, than the first book. I think the fact that there the characters and setting had previously been introduced, allowed the story to advance with more ease. The storyline was engaging. The characters were fantastic - it certainly increased my affection for Gilan and Horace. I loved the dramatic ending but I am a little nervous about where it will take the story in The Icebound Land.
C.B. Cook
Sooooo good. :D I'm enjoying the awesomeness that is these books sooo much. Will is epic, Halt is wonderful, HORACE. OH MY GRAVY HORACE. <3 And then we get to see more of Gilan (!!!!) and meet Evanlyn, who is wonderful. There were a bunch of plot twists I wasn't expecting, some I was (only because I accidentally read the back cover for book three... whoops...), and overall a great story that I immensely enjoyed!

My only problem with this book was minor language (view spoiler)
Argona
I really enjoyed reading this book and I have to say that I am officially a fan of the series.The ending really surprised me and I can't wait to read more.
Rachel Meyer
Oh, I need book three immediately. That took a turn I didn't expect and I can't wait to read on with the series.

It was so fun to return to the world of Will and the Rangers. Will's grown a lot since book one and he was quite capable in this book, which was great. It was also great seeing him interact with new characters, although I missed him and Halt together. Gilan was also awesome.

Can I also mention how much I like the world? It's very well built, clearly based on an ancient England type soci
Odette Knappers
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Another enjoyable read (or rather, listen) during biking to work. I really like this series! It a good adventure series, suitable for boys and girls (12+) and I'm really happy there are so many more books :D I liked the humor and the plot, and oh my that ending!
Edgar Arias
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
****spoiler Alert****

He just became a ranger but now he has to face the most horrible battle that is starting that could change everything the rangers have built.This book is a adventure,action,and medieval type of era.I give this book 5 out of 5 stars cause it's so awesome.

The setting takes place in castle Redmount But some of it is also in Celtica. A year has pass since Will became a Ranger's Apprentice and war is starting and the king is worried so Halt and Will kill Morgaraths men and retr
Kaitlin
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, book number 2 in this series and I must say that I enjoyed this just as much as book 1 which was a pleasant surprise. I really loved book 1 for the wonderful characters and the charming storytelling. I felt that there were good messages about friendship and trust and I would say that those themes have been strongly carried into book 2 as well.

I particularly enjoyed getting to see more of Gilan’s personality and seeing the way that he led the younger characters was interesting and fun. I did
Braden Bell
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Flanagan begins to hit his stride in this book. I remember that this book was the one that really sold me on the series. Flanagan is quite good at cliffhanger endings that draw you in and I found his characters to be interesting. At first they seem to be well-worn types--but as the book progresses, he draws back the layers and they have become very real to me.

This is a fun, page-turning book. Not sure what genre it is. It's listed as fantasy but there is not much sorcery or magic. It reads more
Congoking
Jun 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Hamdey
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a very entertaining book. All though it did have an lot of build up until it got to the action and excitement in the end it was worth the read. You most definitively read the first book and consider reading the series through amazing adventures. The books story line is a spectacular one to follow because of all the surprising twists and turns. It is an a extraordinary story to read through, you should obviously read the whole series.
Rebekah
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love this series, I cannot say enough about it, if there were 50 I would read them all. John Flanagan is a genius. Reread 8/6/17
Lonneke
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I'm way too old for this, but I love it! :')
Starting a fire, how hard can it be when... 5 12 Oct 30, 2018 08:41PM
What was your favourite book in this series and why. 5 36 Oct 17, 2018 03:50PM
Book Report 3 7 Mar 23, 2018 02:49AM
Vampires, Weres a...: The Rangers Apprentice Month Two 10 11 Feb 14, 2018 10:24AM
  • The Rise of the Wyrm Lord (The Door Within, #2)
  • Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #3)
  • The Soldiers of Halla (Pendragon, #10)
  • The Horn of Moran (Adventurers Wanted, #2)
  • The Wizard Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • Lost (Magic Thief, #2)
  • The Rise of the Black Wolf (Grey Griffins, #2)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes, #3)
  • Return to Del (Deltora Quest, #8)
  • The Wrongful Death (The Great Devil War #3)
  • The Second Siege (The Tapestry, #2)
  • The Cobra King of Kathmandu (Children of the Lamp, #3)
  • The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)
  • The Way of the Sword (Young Samurai, #2)
  • Shadow of the Hawk (Wereworld, #3)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It

Ranger's Apprentice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)
  • The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice, #11)
“That taught us how to block a sword with two knives. But what if an ax man's coming at me?"
Gilan looked suspicious. "An ax man? I don't recommend trying to block an ax with two knives."
But Will wouldn't take no for an answer. "But what if he's charging at me?" Horace walked over.
Gilan looked away. "Uh...shoot him."
Horace intervened. "Can't, his bowstring's broken."
Gilan gritted his teeth. "Run and hide."
Will kept on him. "There's a sheer cliff behind me."
Horace caught on. "There's a sheer cliff behind him, and his bowstring's broken. What should he do?"
Gilan thought for a moment. "Jump off the cliff, it'll be less messy that way.”
830 likes
“So I sent Halt to straighten matters out. Thought it might be a good idea to give him something to keep him busy."
So what's Digby got to complain about?" Rodney asked. It was obvious from his tone that he felt no sympathy for the recalcitrant commander of Barga Hold.
The Baron gestured for Lady Pauline to explain.
Apparently," she said,"Halt threw him into the moat.”
355 likes