Who's Your Author? discussion

2 - 6 Mthly Challenges > Rio Olympics Challenge

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4527 comments Rio Olympics Challenge
1 July - 30 August 2016

descriptiondescription

The Rio Olympics run from 5th to the 21st of August 2016, but our challenge will run all of July and all of August, just to give us a sporting chance.

Rules: Pick your books from any part of the categories. Countries & sports can be from any Summer Olympic Games. No page limits, all formats are acceptable. Re-reads are allowed.

description

Gold Medal - 15 books
Silver Medal - 10 books
Bronze Medal - 7 books

World Record Holder - Bonus book - you tell us how it fits into the Olympics

Categories

Olympic Ring Colours & Flag
Read books with covers predominately the colour listed or have the name of the colour in the title.
Possible 6 medals.

The 5 colours represent the 5 continents
Blue
Yellow
Black
Green
Red
White (background on flag)

Countries Who Have Hosted the Summer Games
Read books set in one of the countries; or by an author from one of the countries or characters from one of the countries. You can only use each country once.

Greece, France, Germany, England, Sweden, Belgium, Netherlands, Finland, Australia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Canada, Russia, USA, Sth Korea, Spain, China.

Years the Summer Olympics have been held in the modern era
Read books set in an Olympic year or published in an Olympic year. You can only use the year once.
Helpful link: http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A01143...

Sports that are in the Rio Olympic Games
Read books where someone does one of the sports at any level. You can use any Summer Olympic games, some years do different sports, just list which year your sport is if its different from those listed. You can only use each sport once.

Swimming, (diving and synchronized swimming, water polo), Archery, Badminton, Basketball, Boxing, Canoe / Kayak, Cycling - including Track, Road, Mountain Bike and BMX, Equestrian, Fencing, Football (soccer), Golf, Gymnastics (Artistic, Rhythmic and Trampolining), Handball, Hockey, Judo, Modern Pentathlon, Rowing, Rugby 7s, Sailing, Shooting, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis, Track & Field, Triathlon, Volleyball - indoor and beach, volleyball, Weightlifting, Wrestling (Greco-Roman and Freestyle)

message 2: by LastBreath (new)

LastBreath (last_breath) | 241 comments Oh this looks like an exciting challenge!

message 3: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4527 comments Thanks LastBreath, hope you enjoy it :)

message 4: by Lara (last edited Aug 14, 2016 10:48AM) (new)

Lara | 742 comments I'm in with Colors and Flag. I'll see what I can read in August.

Blue Quantum (Atrophy, #2) by Jess Anastasi 8/14
Yellow Mercury Striking (Scorpius Syndrome, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti 8/3
Black Separation Point by Jennifer Sable 8/7
Green Floating Alone (Shifting Crossroads, #39) by Zenina Masters 8/13
Red Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2) by Craig Schaefer 8/8
White The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2) by Charlie N. Holmberg 8/6

message 5: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4527 comments Yay!

message 6: by Lara (new)

Lara | 742 comments I finished!

Blue Quantum (Atrophy, #2) by Jess Anastasi 8/14
Yellow Mercury Striking (Scorpius Syndrome, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti 8/3
Black Separation Point by Jennifer Sable 8/7
Green Floating Alone (Shifting Crossroads, #39) by Zenina Masters 8/13
Red Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2) by Craig Schaefer 8/8
White The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2) by Charlie N. Holmberg 8/6

message 7: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4527 comments Hooray Lara!

And you finished before the Games :D

message 8: by Lara (new)

Lara | 742 comments Thanks Sandra!

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne | 318 comments Wow, Lara! Fabulous.

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara | 742 comments Thanks Anne!

message 11: by Tina (last edited Aug 22, 2016 01:06PM) (new)

Tina Bartz | 604 comments Completed to date (08/22/2016): 15 Books

Colors- 6/6 Completed
Blue- The Beast (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #14) by J.R. Ward 07/02/2016
Yellow- Destiny Blues (Hand of Fate, #1) by Sharon Joss 07/08/2016
Black- Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire 08/04/2016
Green- Dog with a Bone (Black Dog, #1) by Hailey Edwards 07/21/2016
Red- Sweet Ruin (Immortals After Dark, #16) by Kresley Cole 07/29/2016
White- My Viking Vampire (Sanctuary, Texas, #1) by Krystal Shannan 08/18/2016

Countries- 6 Completed
USA- (Jasmine Walt, born/ lives in USA) Burned by Magic (The Baine Chronicles #1) by Jasmine Walt 07/30/2016
France- (Scarlet Benoit, character, is from France) Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer 07/18/2016
Canada- (Shannon Mayer, born in Canada) Rootbound (The Elemental Series, #5) by Shannon Mayer 07/02/2016
Australia- (C.J. Archer, born/lives in Australia) The Last Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #1) by C.J. Archer 08/19/2016
Mexico- One of the settings/locations in Ember (Darkest London, #0.5) by Kristen Callihan 08/19/2016
England- Setting for Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan 08/21/2016

Years (Published Dates)- 3 Completed
2008- Howling at the Moon (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #1) by Karen MacInerney 07/06/2016
2012- Moonglow (Darkest London, #2) by Kristen Callihan 08/22/2016
2016- Waylaid by Kim Harrison 08/05/2016

message 12: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4527 comments Hooray, Tina!

message 13: by Tina (new)

Tina Bartz | 604 comments Thanks, Sandra!

message 14: by Lara (new)

Lara | 742 comments Awesome reading Tina!

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne | 318 comments Incredible, Tina!

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina Bartz | 604 comments Thanks, Lara and Anne! I didn't see this challenge until August but I was incredibly lucky that so many of the books I had already read fit into the categories. Now, I am actively looking through my TBRs to see which of them I can use to hopefully complete it for a gold medal. I am at a disadvantage in August, though, because I have been doing less reading and more T.V. watching (i.e. The Olympics, especially).

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne | 318 comments I know what you mean about the Olympics - we are recording hours of them a week. I don't read contemporary, so I did not do this challenge.

message 18: by Tina (last edited Aug 19, 2016 09:58PM) (new)

Tina Bartz | 604 comments Anne wrote: "I know what you mean about the Olympics - we are recording hours of them a week. I don't read contemporary, so I did not do this challenge."
I read very few contemporary books myself so I was at a disadvantage with regard to the sports categories- I thought I might have to search through some Regencies for fencing but I think I can finish without it. With regard to the years, I am using years published instead of the books' timeframes.

message 19: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4527 comments Hahaha I'm recording about 25 hrs a day, luckily I can easily skip the bits I'm not interested in. Our host channel has 3 channels, and the app as well, all showing different sports. And no list of what is on each channel except some broad outlines.

As to the challenge, you certainly don't need to read contemporary books, I don't read those either. Colours, countries & years would certainly gain you enough books without the sports.

message 20: by Anne (new)

Anne | 318 comments We are fast forwarding all of the conversations and ads - makes a big difference.

I think I will pass on this challenge.

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina Bartz | 604 comments Finished the basic challenge, gold medal level, yesterday.

Still trying to decide on the bonus book.

message 22: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4527 comments Hooray, Tina!

message 23: by Tina (new)

Tina Bartz | 604 comments Thanks, Sandra!

message 24: by Tina (last edited Aug 31, 2016 09:13PM) (new)

Tina Bartz | 604 comments World Record Holder-
Bonus Book: His Wicked Sins (Dark Gothic #4) by Eve Silver
1. Fourth in series (Dark Gothic #4; Olympics- every four years)
2. Author: Eve Silver (Olympic silver medal)
3. Fencing is discussed (Olympic sport)

message 25: by Anne (new)

Anne | 318 comments Tina wrote: "World Record Holder-
Bonus Book: His Wicked Sins (Dark Gothic #4) by Eve Silver
1. Fourth in series (Dark Gothic #4; Olympics- every four years)
2. Author: Eve Silver (Olympic silver medal)
3..."

Wow!