Jump to ratings and reviews
Once the seeds of desire are sown . . .

Finally free of her suffocating marriage, widow Daisy Ellis Craigmore is ready to embrace the pleasures of life that have long been denied her. Yet her new-found freedom is short lived. A string of unexplained murders has brought danger to Daisy's door, forcing her to turn to the most unlikely of saviors . . .

Their growing passion knows no bounds . . .

Ian Ranulf, the Marquis of Northrup, has spent lifetimes hiding his primal nature from London society. But now a vicious killer threatens to expose his secrets. Ian must step out of the shadows and protect the beautiful, fearless Daisy, who awakens in him desires he thought long dead. As their quest to unmask the villain draws them closer together, Daisy has no choice but to reveal her own startling secret, and Ian must face the undeniable truth: Losing his heart to Daisy may be the only way to save his soul.

384 pages, Kindle Edition

First published July 31, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kristen Callihan

29 books12.8k followers
Kristen Callihan is an author because there is nothing else she'd rather be. She is a RITA winner and three-time nominee and winner of two RT Reviewer's Choice awards. Her novels have garnered starred reviews from Publisher's Weekly and the Library Journal, as well as being awarded top picks by many reviewers. Her debut book FIRELIGHT received RT Magazine's Seal of Excellence, was named a best book of the year by Library Journal, best book of Spring 2012 by Publisher's Weekly, and was named the best romance book of 2012 by ALA RUSA. When she is not writing, she is reading.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
274 (3%)
1 star
83 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 842 reviews
Profile Image for Blacky *Romance Addict*.
464 reviews6,201 followers
November 17, 2016
This book should have 10 stars only for the beautiful cover. I simply adore this picture Photobucket

I'd give the story a good 4 star rating, but my overall is somewhere around 7 because of the characters <3 I fell in love with them <3

The story - Although this is a historical, it's full of paranormal beings, the writer introduced to us a whole lot of them, demons, vampires, werewolves, shifters, gim-s (ghosts of some kind), and I think there was an actuall angel in one scene XD
Anyway, this book is centered around Ian, the werewolf, and Daisy, Miranda's sister who has survived a werewolf attack. Ian takes care of her, and swears to protect her from the werewolf who is bent on killing women who wear Daisy's perfume.

Ian was banished from his clan a long time ago, and he is suffering in his solitude, mourning the loss of his wife and son. He finds his life is empty, he has no one to lean on, and even his nightly thrysts with whores don't do it for him. He meets Daisy, and soon they form a bond, one that goes above just attraction.

Daisy is finally free, after being abused by her husband for 6 years, now she's a widow, and ready to enjoy life again. But it doesn't work like that, almost like Ian, she tries to have an affair, but can't go on with it. After Ian saves her from the attack, she falls for him, even though she knows almost from the beginning that he's a lycan. He makes her feel safe and she stays at his house for her protection.

The ending :O Wow, I was so sure, so convinced . I love the fact that there was an alternative, I didn't see it comming (maybe I'm just stupid lol) but I liked it :)
I have to say, I was misty eyed for the last 30-40 pages. It was so emotional, atleast for me <3 Very very well written, I felt their pain and sorrow as if I was there. Just amazing <3 Those last 50 pages or so deserve a 10 star rating :)
Profile Image for Bubu.
315 reviews324 followers
March 16, 2018
Update 03/18: b-r with Joanna, Sam and Isabella.

Additional thoughts: Please keep in mind that I still haven't finished the series, but here it goes for the five books I've read so far.

Whenever I state that I consider Ember/Firelight and Moonglow to be the weaker of the five books I've read from this series, I always think it's actually nothing but a gross misrepresentation of GR' 5-star-rating system. It's something I always complain about; always conflicted when I see what else I have shelved under 3 and 4 stars.

This is PNR, so you'l always find some plot holes, convenient solutions to problems that are not applicable in the world as we know it.

Should you ever decide to give this series a go, I advice you not to make the mistakes I made when I first started. This is, of course, very dependant on reading habits, and sadly, I'm one of those who skip a sentence here, a description there.

Don't.

Read slowly, let it sink in, and you'll discover the numerous nuances Miss Callihan has given her characters. This series is as much plot driven as it is character driven. In fact, there's a beautiful dynamic between those two elements: the plot drives the characters, and the characters drive the plot. I have read enough PNR novels - and simply general romance books - by now and I have come to some conclusions:

- The absence of the almost obligatory fate-mating this sub genre suffers from - and yes, I don't like fate-mating at all, because it doesn't give the characters room to develop. But that's something I'd already mentioned in my original review.

- Expect the unexpected. That goes for the plot as much as for the characters.

- There's a not so fine line between animosity or wariness and antagonism. You'll find the characters of this series always at odds with each other. What you won't find is antagonistic behaviour for the sake of it. Something that drives me mad in the often used enemies-to-lovers trope. There are reasons for the animosity/wariness the characters begin their journeys with, but the author gives them not only a reason for it, she also gives them enough space and reflection to slightly shift the dynamics; which is why I I said further above 'take your time, read slowly.'

- Each character is unique in his/her own way. They all have their own ticks and quirks that make them stand out within the series. As a result, it never gets boring or repetitive.

A side note here: her heroines have backbones made of steel and it's not for show, either. These women fight with words as well as the powers available to them; and heroes who worship them for their strength and resolve. I think their strength, their wit and resolve is what attracts the heroes to them in the first place.

- This is where I will repeat myself again, but seeing how many mediocre books I've read lately, I think it's worth mentioning. Kristen Callihan isn't a wordsmith like some of my other favourite authors are. But she has this incredible talent to turn everyday occurrences, habits, supposedly meaningless chit-chat, things really, into poignant and very relatable moments which create an intimacy that is rarely to be found and which have - at that moment - nothing to do to with sexual tension. If anything, this 'technique' of hers only adds to the emotional and sexual tension.

- An atmospheric London that you can still find today, without the fog (London is pretty much fog free these days). But if you were to walk into the side alleys along Covent Garden and beyond, especially on darker days, it's easy to imagine: the London Miss Callihan brought so vividly alive.

If you ever let yourself immerse into the world Kristen Callihan built, you will find yourself biting your nails, laughing out loud, shocked, misty-eyed and elevated by the sheer depth of feelings, the devotion her protagonists have for each other.

Heaven knows when I will ever find the guts to finish this series. I don't want it to end.

Joanna and Isabella haven't finished this book just yet, with Sam rereading it. I'll continue to comment and and add my thoughts on the events in Moonglow on Romance Book Buddy Reading. But, ladies, thank you once again for a the immense fun it's been, and still is, to read this book with you!

***************************

Original review 02/17:

I've never written a review for this one. However, I just re-read and finished Moonglow.

A wonderfully layered story that opens the paranormal world the author built even further, introducing us to lycans (and werewolves), to the GIM's (Ghost in the Machine) and the SOS (The Society for the Suppression of Supernaturals). But slowly and in small doses; never becoming overwhelming. After now having read a few PNR novels, I've found this to be a very important element. The first in this series, Firelight, opened the first door, and Moonglow takes it further.

Here we have the heroine, Daisy, who can control the flora. The hero, Ian, is a lycan. He's both man and wolf but can control his wolfish side, whereas a werewolf can't and is more wolf than man. I hope this makes sense.

I keep raving about this series. Besides being wonderfully built, written, executed, it does one thing that most PNR novels/series ignore: it lets the main characters' love grow. No fate-mate-ing here that leaves only one outcome and the reader wondering why these two fall in love with each other in the first place. Just because it's a romance it's not a forgone conclusion that Ms. Callihan's characters will fit. Instead, the author shows why her characters fit.

The romance between Daisy Ellis Craigmore (Miranda (Firelight) and Poppy's (Winterblaze) sister, the middle one) and Ian Ranulf, newly titled Marquis of Northrup, is raw and mirrors the grittiness of the story. What begins with two people feeling the attraction and the lust turns slowly and unwillingly into love. Both characters hide their pain - experienced over the years at the hand of others - behind a mask of flamboyance and cynicism which never slips into bitterness, though. On the contrary, their interactions are laced with ironic humour, never feeling sorry for themselves.

And although, it starts like a cat-and-mouse game between Daisy and Ian, it develops into open admiration and appreciation. No pretenses when these two come together. The sexual tension building up slowly, but it's hawt. By the way, the further you read, the hotter the books become and, oh dear, can this author write good sex scenes. Best thing though is, it's very sensual, and not simply one shag after another.
Profile Image for Jill.
600 reviews1,362 followers
July 5, 2012

A year after her husband's death Daisy Ellis Craigmore is free to come out of mourning. Her unhappy six-year marriage to a brutal man has left Daisy scarred and desperate to taste freedom. Ian Ranulf, Marquis of Northrup is tired of his life. There's little that holds his interest, until he comes across Daisy who has just witnessed a killing by a werewolf. For seventy years Ian has been in exile from his clan; he's kept his wolf tightly contained. Once the alpha of the Lycans, he turned over leadership to his younger brother Conall.

Both Ian and Daisy are hiding secrets about their pasts and who they are. Now with a murderer on the loose in London, targeting women wearing Daisy's particular perfume, Ian must find the killer before he finds Daisy.

The paranormal elements did seem to outweigh the historical in this story, whereas in Firelight I felt there was a lovely balance between the two. The sexual tension was not very, well, tense in this one either. And there was more emphasis on the love scenes. (Though this should appeal to a lot of readers.)

I felt a lack of anticipation in this one. It's already been revealed that Ian is a Lycan, taking away the page-turning intensity of the first book. Like her sister Miranda, Daisy also has a special talent and we find out the source of the sisters' gifts.

With book #3 Winterblaze featuring the third and eldest sister, Poppy and her husband Winston, they both get some page time. Poppy's gift is disclosed in Moonglow as well. Another character who will probably play important parts in upcoming books is Jack Talent, Ian’s valet.

Though not quite up to the standard of the first book in my opinion, Moonglow is still a very good read, and a great follow-up to Firelight.

Steam: 3

ARC courtesy of Grand Central Publishing via NetGalley

Profile Image for ♡Karlyn P♡.
605 reviews1,202 followers
October 8, 2012
Well done! A great sequel to Firelight. I think I enjoyed this one even more. It too had a dark gothic feel with an interesting mystery plot, but the romance between Ian and Daisy surpassed my expectations. They worked so well as a couple.

I'm not a huge fan of PNR, especially shape-shifters, but this one worked for me. When Ian steps in to protect Daisy from a mad werewolf on the prowl killing innocent victims, the connection between these two was smoldering. He was such a passionate man, and I loved how their relationship heated up early in the story.

Many twists are revealed, which brings layers upon layers to the story. Daisy has the ability to communicate with plants, Ian reveals much about his past, and the ending was something I couldn't possibly predict!!

This was a tightly woven, complex and passionate PNR historical romance. I think fans of gothic romances will particularly love this series.

ARC copy provided through Netgalley.com
Profile Image for Mimi Smith.
393 reviews118 followers
July 16, 2014
5 stars

Kristen Callihan has officially made me her devoted fan. Now, that's not just because the name Diana Gabaldon(my fav author ever) is on the cover. Nope it's Ian Rannulf and his wolfiness that made me a believer. Ok, Daisy was kind of cool, too.

About Firelight

Oh, God there was such a buzz about that book. So many people loved it! I don't know, but that kind of made me want to love it so bad. And I did like it. But I didn't love, LOVE it, so I ended up feeling disappointed. Didn't have that problem here, didn't expect very much but fell in love with Moonglow.

About Shifters

Or Lycans, or weres, or...whatever. I love well-done stories with them. It has so much potential! The way they can think weird-like and the cute, dangerous, sexy factor can be great. I loved Bayou Moon, which is one such book.

I like Lycans here. They are Scottish, sufficiently cute and sexy and with whole lot of problems to work through.

About Moonglow

Daisy(Miranda's sister) is finally free of an abusive marriage and she plans to fully enjoy that freedom. So, when a string of murders connected only with the victim's same perfume(same as hers) and the gruesome, werewolf execution mess up that plan, she will have to turn to notorious Ian Rannulf for help.

Ian has not had the best, er, couple of decades, really. He's alone, his family gone, banished and growing weaker because of his refusal to let the wolf out. But, then firecracker Daisy rushes into his life, and suddenly things are looking up. Very much so. Except the psychotic were killing women and wandering London. But that, of course is a minor obstacle when love is in question.

I absolutely adored Daisy and Ian. Her cheerful, no-nonsense demeanor and her love of life and courage endeared her to me thoroughly. Ian...is tortured and kind of sad, but when he's with Daisy we see the playfulness reappear, that same joy in life, and the strength he'll definitely need in this fight.

So, some flirting...

Daisy Craigmore, while having a most angelic countenance, could glare bloody murder quite well. “I don’t like you.”
He pulled her close, forcing her to lean into him. “Like has nothing to do with it. I’m watching over you until this thing is done, Daisy-Meg. You’ll not fight me on this, or you’ll see how great a pest I can be.”

“Ah, Daisy-girl, when you look at me with those eyes, even if they’re scowling at me from over your shoulder as they are now…” He smiled. “You light me up.”

And love...

“I made a lie of love.”(Poppy about her marriage)
----------------
“She is going to live in truth,”(Poppy said about Daisy and Ian)

About The World

The world, lassies and gents, is expanding. And I'm no talking about the universe. Callihan started adding all kind of new beings, societies, magic stuff. It sure makes for an interesting background, and she now has an expanded pool of characters to pick from for future books. All sufficiently unique and tortured of course.

About Winterblaze

Winterblaze, coming February, 2012 is the next book in the series, and it's about Poppy and Winston, as we might have guessed from this book. I'm intrigued as how that will go, as well as by this mysterious SOS. So, definitely looking forward to it, here. February is sooo far away.
Profile Image for Karen.
793 reviews1,004 followers
February 18, 2020
3.75 STARS

He caught her expression and his smile grew fiendish.
“Don’t go getting calf-eyed on me,” he warned with amusement. “Or I’ll start to believe that you like me, too.”

I enjoyed this one. In fact I can easily say, I loved parts of it. But.. there were some parts that just irked me a little. In the love column would be everything "Ian," and in the irked column would be everything Daisy. All the way down to her name. I can't really say why, I just found her a little glib and insincere in the beginning, and then quite the opposite towards the end.

The story itself was intriguing and creative, but there seemed to be just a little too much going on. It went from the introduction of lycan to a full-on paranormal menagerie. I suppose these were introductions into the storylines to come, but I was a little over-stimulated by it all. I did like the story surrounding Ian's character, but I hated the ending. Well... lets just say I hated .

I am intrigued by Poppy's story, and look forward to reading it.
Profile Image for Caz.
2,618 reviews992 followers
March 18, 2015
4.5 stars rounded up.

I’m not normally one for vampires, werewolves, shape-shifters or paranormal romances in general, but having read and heard such good things about the first book in this series – Firelight– I finally got around to listening to the audio version last year and was so completely hooked that I decided to read or listen to the rest of the series. It’s been a while since I listened to that book, but this month’s prompt of “series catch-up” gave me the ideal excuse to read book two, Moonglow.

The things I’d enjoyed so much about the first story are very much in evidence in this one – the Victorian setting, a terrific storyline, strong characterisation and the amazing chemistry the author creates between her two protagonists. Once again, I was sucked in pretty much from the word go.

Daisy Ellis is the middle of the three Ellis sisters, the youngest of whom, Miranda, was the heroine of Firelight. Daisy was married off to a much older, abusive man six years earlier, and has recently been widowed. Determined to enjoy her new freedom, she is out for a night on the tiles with a friend when a gruesome double-murder abruptly puts an end to her plans for the evening.

Ian MacKinnon, the Marquis of Northrup was one of the secondary characters in Firelight, a menacing presence whose infatuation with Miranda set him up rather as the villain of the piece. Ian is a Lycan – and here, I admit I was grateful for the explanation as to what that actually is, as I’d never have known the difference between a Lycan and a Werewolf otherwise!** – an immortal being who is almost two hundred years old. He was cast out from his home and people when he refused to take his rightful place as The Ranulf (the chief of all the Lycans) and allowed his younger brother to assume the role. He’s alone, tired of his empty life and all but dead inside – his mortal wife and son are dead and while he doesn’t want to go through life alone, he can’t bear the thought of experiencing such pain again.

But when he steps in to rescue Daisy from meeting the same gory fate as her friend, he finds himself immediately attracted to her beautiful face and body, impressed by her intelligence and courage - and begins to feel that perhaps there is something worth living for in his life after all. When it emerges that the murderer is a maddened werewolf whose killing spree seems to be somehow related to Daisy’s unique perfume, Ian swears to protect her – indeed, he’s the only one who can – while they attempt to find out who is behind the attacks and stop them.

Moonglow is an exciting story with plenty of action and a couple of plot twists I absolutely did NOT see coming. The set pieces – the scene at Highgate Cemetery where Daisy, having believed herself to be merely human discovers that she, like Miranda, possesses supernatural powers; or the Lycan’s merciless treatment of Ian – are so vividly written as to put the reader right in the centre of the action. In the case of the latter scene, that might not be such a good thing, because what happens to Ian is devastatingly brutal and difficult to read.

Ian and Daisy have endured their own personal versions of hell – Daisy from a violent husband and Ian as the result of his wife’s suicide – so they both bring a fair bit of emotional baggage to their relationship. Ian knows that falling for Daisy is stupid and that he’s only opening himself up to more devastating hurt – but he can’t help it. He’s a man who feels things very deeply, hiding that truth behind the world-weary, supercillous persona he adopts in public. Ms Callihan redeems him splendidly, turning him from an almost-villain in the last book into a loyal, honourable hero in this one. Watching these two emotionally bruised, proud people come together is a real delight, and even though their relationship in the early stages seems more based on lust than anything else, Ms Callihan develops it very skilfully so that we see that lust turn to love as the couple forges a strong bond based on mutual loyalty and trust.

There are some truly visceral emotional gut-punches in the story, not least of which is the one near the end which threatens to separate Ian and Daisy forever. The revelation is shocking – but I have to confess that I wasn’t completely happy with the resolution. It’s the only way the story could have gone, I suppose, but it’s probably my least favourite part of the book.

While all this is going on, we’re introduced to more of the elements making up Ms Callihan’s world of Darkest London; the SOS (Society for the Suppression of Supernaturals), the GIMs (Ghosts in the Machine), as well as vampires, shape-shifters and other supernatural characters that will no doubt feature in future books.

There are a couple of small inconsistencies that niggled a bit, such as when Daisy so easily leaves her sister Poppy when the latter’s husband is fighting for his life and Poppy needs emotional support - but I could let that go, as Daisy isn’t in a particularly good place, mentally, at that point, either. My biggest problem with the story (apart from the way in which the HEA is achieved) is the way in which Ian reverses his decades-old position about assuming his rightful place as Alpha of the clan in the blink of an eye. He does have reasons for it, but he seems to accept it too easily.

In all honesty though, those really are minor niggles rather than major reservations, because Moonglow is a terrific book. The mystery is very well executed, Ian and Daisy are strong, attractive characters and their romance is well-developed. The author creates the most incredible sexual tension between her principals; the air fairly crackles whenever they’re “on stage” together, and when they do eventually come together, the love scenes are hot, sexy and earthy.

I was captivated from start to finish, and can’t wait to move on to the next book, Winterblaze.

**A Lycan is (apparently!) an immortal who possesses the qualities of both man and wolf, and who is able to exert a measure of control over his “wolfish” tendencies. Whereas a werewolf is more wolf than man – and once a Lycan turns fully, he can never turn back.

Profile Image for h o l l i s .
2,333 reviews1,823 followers
March 19, 2018
"Haven't you learned, woman? You've fallen off the map. Here there be monsters."

The key to doing a binge right is leaving a shitty review for each successive read because you don't want to waste time actually reviewing them. Or at least that's how I feel right now. Normally I might put some effort in buuuuut considering all the aforementioned buddies who have been providing such great reviews during their joint reads, I'll leave their words to tell you how it is.

cc :
Sam
Joanna
Isabella
Bubu

"You're the gift I never saw coming."

I think I liked this one just a little bit more than book one in the Darkest London series. But they are both excellent specimens of historical romance, riddled with paranormal flavouring, with (if you can believe it) fresh and unique elements to the creatures within the world, mystery, darkness, and oh did I mention the romance. Each pairing has also been fabulous; strong heroines, broody heroes, and did I mention the hot hot hot. (fans self)

My only complaint with this one is the quick resolution, which I hope we see some fallout for in future books, as I would've liked maybe a few more pages of explanation, I guess? It was just too much of a quick fix. But the solution itself was just.. feels.

I'm loving how each successive book is fleshing out the witches, werewolves, and who knows what!, in this world. Callihan is crazy creative and I so love her take on all these archetypes. Seeing as I can't wait for more I'm just going to go ahead and slide right into book three. #cantstopwontstop
Profile Image for Jo.
957 reviews199 followers
March 3, 2016
Gently, he threaded his hand through her curls, spreading them about her. “We are all imperfect creatures, love. I don’t want perfect. I just want you.”

I LOVED this book!

Finally Daisy Ellis has obtained freedom with the death of her husband. Her husband whom I wish I could bring back from the dead so that I could kill him myself. Daisy is sassy, very sensual and has so many scars from her awful suffocating marriage. But her freedom is short lived when she seems to be the target of a vicious supernatural killer who is responsible for a slew of unexplained murders.

Ian Ranulf has hidden his animal nature from London society. He portrays an image of an uncaring and wicked Lord, hiding his heartache and loneliness. But then he is forced to come to Daisy’s aid, as he is the only one who can stop the villain before his secrets are exposed. What he did not plan on was his intense desire for the beautiful and brave Daisy. Will fate be cruel to him again, or has he finally met the woman meant to be his for eternity…

“I would be a god with the power of your love. If I knew that I had it.”
He touched her cheek. “But I cannot do it alone. I cannot bow and scrape for each scrap, hoping you’ll see what I see in us. I won’t have you by default.” A small smile lifted his mouth. “Ah, but if you gave it to me freely, I swear on my soul I wouldn’t let it go to waste. With everything I am, I’d give it back to you in return. I’d keep ye, love ye till my last breath, lass.”

I adored the romance, and I especially loved Ian. He’s such a wickedly sexy and charming guy. And his Scottish brogue just made me melt ♥. He has such a heartbreaking past, and I so rooted for him to finally get his HEA. The romance was a slow but very intense burn, and once these two got together, just wow! I especially loved how Ian showed Daisy that she was perfect for him.

The plot was really interesting, and I really enjoyed learning more of this world, and all the varied creatures that inhabit it. This book also paved the way for the next book which is about Daisy’s sister, Poppy, and her husband Win. And I cannot wait to read their story.

I really love this series. A historical romance where there are demons, shifters, lycans, GIMs, elementals and so many more supernaturals. I highly recommend this series!

Profile Image for Isabella - SnooRegrets.
439 reviews100 followers
August 12, 2021
Buddy Read with Sam, Bubu and Joanna from Romance Book Buddy Reading.

I loved this book. Where the first an Firelight had quite a few little flaws (I loved it nevertheless), this one was pure joy for me to read. We get very different characters, which isn't always given in companion novels, that were - again - absolutely complex and well built. A plot that entertained me and an absolutely beautiful writing style that simply does it for me.

I don't have words how much I am enjoying this series till now, so please take a look at Bubu's accurate, outstanding review. She put her reading experience in better words than I ever could right now.
Profile Image for Anna (Bobs Her Hair).
907 reviews193 followers
July 15, 2012
Grade: B+ or solid 4 stars

Moonglow, the second Darkest London book, has a different texture than its predecessor Firelight, which was slower-paced yet sizzled with sexual tension. What you’ll find in this second installment is nice balance of mystery, murder, romance, and expanded world-building set in alternate reality Victorian England. Secrets and monsters are underlying themes.

London, April 1883

Three hundred sixty-six days, ten hours, and fifteen minutes after the death of her abusive husband, Daisy Margaret Ellis abandons her widow’s weeds. She’s a red-blooded woman eager to re-experience life’s diverting activities. Unfortunately, her first night out is a gruesome affair. A vicious attack surrounds Daisy with mutilated bodies and bathes her in blood and gore.

Ian Ranulf, the Marquis of Northrup, deserted his lycan clan seventy years ago having experienced the suffering and loss. As an exile, he tries to live a ‘normal’ life, but it grows weary. The night Ian finds Daisy under the body of a were attack his life gains new purpose. Only he can offer the protection she needs as he tries to identify the sickly beast leaving a trail of bodies across London. Ian will approach various otherworldly factions, including Clan Ranulf, before the were reaches its ultimate prize, Daisy. In the meantime, he is drawn to another Ellis sister. He would be a fool to fall in love with another mortal. Will he risk his heart again to later watch Daisy die, as all humans do?

I know who the true monsters are. They are ordinary men who do terrible things.”

“What do you know of monsters, Daisy-Meg?” Who was it that terrorized her?

She looked at him with eyes wide and pained, and the very air seemed to still about him. “Enough to know that you are not one of them.”

Defining monsters is an underlying theme in this story. Ian sees a monster in the mirror and is haunted by piercing tragedy. You ruin everything, Ian. You and your beast. In this alternate world, lycan are evolved men containing a wolf spirit, while a werewolf is a damaged wolf in control. A were hungers for the kill. Ian represses his wolf feeling it is a shameful beast. He will be a monster! Daisy is critical to resolving his self-hatred. In turn, Ian heals Daisy’s legacy of shame imparted by her late husband.

”There are days when I look in the mirror and don’t even recognize myself. I’ve become merely shapes and colors. In truth, I hardly know who I am anymore, or if I was ever anyone at all.”

I know who you are, he wanted to shout. You are brave, funny. Fresh air in this smothered town. And utterly blind if you cannot see what I am. Ian owed it to her to make it clear. “Then I envy you,” he said. “For I’ve had lifetimes to learn each line and plane of my face, and I can’t stand the sight of it.

The one major criticism is the way the characters are introduced. Ian and Daisy seemed shallow. Initiating the reader with their sexuality did not feel endearing nor did it seem to add depth of character. Perhaps it was to draw a parallel to their sexual appetites. I don’t know. Luckily, they are revealed soon enough. Ian and Daisy’s scabs are ripped off to reveal their torment and fear. They are a couple who have had darkness in their lives, yet they are not depressing characters. It was fun reading their flirtatious dialogue and zing each other as they fenced words. The moments when Ian and Daisy offered each other comfort and loving words were romantic.

Secrets also play a large role in this novel. We see the proverbial skeletons in the closet. There are also revelations, a mysterious supernatural leader, new secondary characters, and fallout of various kinds. It is all good stuff! It has me longing for the next book!

Moonglow’s mystery leads Ian and Daisy on a trail that introduces readers to interesting new supernaturals. The GIMs(Ghosts in the Machine) insert an element of science fiction, almost like steampunk. The S.O.S. (Society for the Suppression of Supernaturals Secondary) has potential, too. Let's not forget the vampires! Secondary characters are expanded, but not to distraction.

Ian Ranulf was an enticing character in Firelight, and his character does not disappoint in Moonglow! Daisy Ellis is also appealing as the heroine. Her experiences demonstrate the sexual double standards of the time and, in some minds, present time. This hero and heroine are an ideal match!

I’m anxious for Poppy’s story, Winterblaze. There also seems potential for the following secondary characters: Lucien Stone, Mary Chase, and Jack Talent. Overall, despite the imperfect start (for me), the characters, plot, world, emotion, romance, and sexy times made this book a very gratifying read!

ARC courtesy of Grand Central Publishing via Netgalley

Profile Image for Didi.
865 reviews290 followers
October 12, 2014
4 TO 4.5 STARS!

Ever since reading the Hook Up, I knew KC was an author I needed to read, and this second book in the Darkest London series was fantastic, even better than the first, Firelight. This book was about Daisy, Miranda's sister, now widowed and ready to finally shed her fear and captivity from being in a cruel Union. A werewolf attack amidst the streets of London puts Daisy on the beasts radar. She survives his attack but must now contend with Ian Ranulf, a man whose mysterious past has the ability to shed light on the vicious incident.
Ian was the rake who attempted to lure Miranda away from Ben Archer in firelight. He came across as a selfish and conniving man intent on stealing another mans woman. But here, let's just say first impressions aren't always right.

Rescuing Daisy from the streets of London sets in motion a seductive and compelling attraction. He wants her, but his secret threatens to tear any semblance of happiness. Daisy is at once enamored by Ian but his past with archer and Miranda keep her at bay. It was quite obvious Ian's feelings for her were true and I loved seeing how Ian actually felt about the huge misunderstanding with her sister.

Ian and this book actually reminded me of my most favorite HR hero, Sebastian St. Vincent from Devil in Winter, by Lisa Kleypas. His altercation with an old friend over a woman, then falling for someone who literally sweeps him off his feet. He was a man lost to the despair of his situation and through the unconditional love of another finally found redemption and a love he never believed possible. I love seeing a man fall from such heights for the right woman, gets me every time. Ian was lovely and I never imagined his past was so traumatic.
This was filled with mystery and suspense, sexy steam and beautiful romance. It was an intelligent tale that featured lycans and werewolves, something I love and it still maintained its hold on magic as in the first book. KC writes wonderful heroines. I can't say enough how important that is to me. I love authors that show us why a woman steals a mans heart, and Daisy was compassionate, loyal, intelligent and caring. She supported Ian at a very vulnerable time and showed him her love had no bounds. She saved him, from himself and the despair taking over his life.

The sexual tension was as usual with KC, hot and perfectly done. The epilogue was sweet and tied up the story leaving us a taste of the next book, Winterblaze, about Poppy, the eldest sister and her fallout with her husband after some unfortunate discoveries. This is a great paranormal series that so far, gets better and better, loved it.
Profile Image for Joanna Loves Reading.
559 reviews214 followers
March 16, 2018
Buddy read with Isabella, Sam and Bubu. Very fun to discuss and read this series with you all. Looking forward to the next one.

I may end up actually writing a review at some point, but for now, I will just say that there was much about this book that I loved. There was enough I questioned, pondered and felt was left unresolved that I kept it a four stars. Very compelling writing. KC has some real talent.
Profile Image for layla is a picky reader.
278 reviews153 followers
July 8, 2012
ARC provided by netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

My rating: 3/5 stars
First line: Lord above, was there a better sight than a woman flush with passion, her skin dewy and pink, her breasts bouncing from the force of his thursts?
Favourite quote: We are all imperfect creatures, love. I don’t want perfect. I just want you.

After a marriage of convenience, Daisy Craigmore, Lady Archer’s sister, wants nothing more than to enjoy freedom and experience life. Of course, being a widow doesn’t hurt and she’s ready to go out in the society and have fun. However, her plans are cut short when she learns that she has a crazed werewolf hunting her. Along with Ian Ranulf, they investigate the murders that occur, all of them having something in common: her scent.

Seriously, I wasn’t expecting this book to disappoint me. After reading Firelight, I was sure that Daisy’s book was going to be a hit. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. I wasn’t awed by Daisy, nor by Ian. I can’t pinpoint exactly why I dislike the book, maybe it’s because of the book’s slow pace. I read it in two settings, with almost a month between them. Hmm, colour me intrigued – not.

Daisy Craigmore is witty, a real beauty, intelligent, charming, funny and apparently, horny. The first time we see her in the book is when she goes to a shady alley prepared to give in her desires and have her way with some random mister. Next, she feels a very strong sexual attraction between her and Ranulf. But

Ian Ranulf is a rake. He’s charming and he has a certain sense of danger around him. How can you not tingle? Well, I do not. While I found him entertaining, that’s all there is to his character. I don’t think that Callihan made him feel deep enough. I mean, all the facts about his angst filled past were there but I... couldn’t feel them. They weren’t emphasised enough. Also, It would’ve saved us a lot of time if he didn’t wallow in his pain for so long.

I’m sorry but this book was just not it. It started well and considering some endearing and surprising scenes at the end, I’m giving it three stars . However, the plot was flat, the characters were not enough, Miranda and Poppy annoyed me very much. The GIM idea could be considered its saving grace, although I could use some clarification on that.

Profile Image for Ursula.
584 reviews137 followers
April 16, 2018
I am enjoying this series and I liked the hero in this one, who happens to be a werewolf of sorts.
I had a problem with Daisy, probably because she was a bit too much into casual sexual encounters due to a frustratingly cruel and unhappy marriage. I get that the author was making a point. Women have a sex drive and should not be punished or despised for it. The old double standard needs to go. But she was a little to "nympho" for me, I guess. (We first meet her in an alley with some random, pushing up her skirts for a quick shag against the wall. If nothing else, its dangerous! Nasty werewolf dude is running amok and I doubt said random has a condom in his pocket. But that's practical old me....) On the other hand, it suited Ian, our hero, because he had an animal sex drive, of course. Being an old werewolf and all.

There was some nasty violence and evisceration going on- even the hero got ripped up. Lots of gore and entrails, which I skimmed over. Weak tummy. But I was never bored!
The characters and the world created in this series are great, and the writing is good. I will certainly be reading on!

Now, if Henry were the werewolf....... even better!

Profile Image for Angela.
3,193 reviews367 followers
November 1, 2021
I fell in love with Daisy and Ian from the very beginning. Having had no real feelings for them while reading Firelight, this surprised me somewhat, but they are fabulous. Daisy is smart, has a strong will, and is absolutely captivating. After years of abuse at the hands of her husband she has some scars – inner and outer – to work past and seeing her overcome them with Ian was perfect. Speaking of Ian, he's utterly perfect. He has demons that haunt him, and fights himself nearly every step of his life – against his memories, his clan, and his lycanthropy. The one thing he doesn't fight is his respect and desire for Daisy. I was with them every step of the way, watching them fall in love, and sighing in delight as they fit themselves together.

Though I guessed who the killer werewolf was fairly early in the story, it didn't stop it from being an emotionally charged suspenseful storyline. Every moment that Daisy and Ian spent on the trail, trying to save more innocent lives, was absolutely gripping to me. And the resolution nearly had me in tears.

I felt like the world building was strong and simple in Firelight, there wasn't a lot of extraneous detail bogging down the story and I loved it for that. Moonglow continues in that same vein. Beautifully evocative descriptions painted the picture of this Darkest London as we are handing bits and pieces to make the world a bit larger, clearer and more vivid. As we're introduced to more and more supernatural beings I never felt like it was getting too crowded or confusing, rather I just wanted more and more. Several of my friends were enamoured of the GIMs (and I won't spoil what they are), but while I'm intrigued, I'm still figuring out what I feel in general, though I absolutely loved something so different from anything I'd read before being introduced into this dark and lovely world.

While I don't think one needs to read Firelight prior to reading Moonglow I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't. Both are excellent books, with fantastic characters, and a detailed, growing world. There's a slight cliff-hanger at the end of Moonglow with regards to another set of characters that might have fans on the edge of their seats anticipating the next book.

I was greatly anticipating this book from the moment I finished Firelight, which I loved and couldn't put down. Kristen Callihan did not disappoint, and in fact I think she continues to get better and better! I loved this book from the moment I picked it up, the characters are my favorites in the series, and I grew more enamoured of the world through each page. Now I really can't wait for Winterblaze which is due out February 2013.

***

Immediate thoughts on 7/23/2012:
Profile Image for *The Angry Reader*.
1,350 reviews292 followers
August 26, 2018
**updated review - Aug 26, 2018**

Welp. That went better the second time.

I have no idea what pissed me off the first time. Sometime (like with SEP books) when I go back on the reread I clearly see what aggravated me. This time I read banter and flirting between 2 people with good reason not to like one another. No clue why that set me off.

Anyhow.

Kristen Callihan is working her way up the “favorite authors” ladder. This was on firmer footing than the first book bc less world-building, more defined characters plus I knew what I was getting into.

I suspect I’ll be bingeing this series. Either back to back or with a few other books in the mix to heighten the anticipation.

Shout out to Sam for getting me to read this. She knows what she’s talking about.

**original review - April 9, 2018**
I couldn’t finish it. Bicker bicker bicker bicker. There’s a fine line between pithy commentary and maybe-you-should-just-shut-up.

Profile Image for Laura.
Author 14 books593 followers
February 27, 2013
Review posted on Demon Lover's Books & More

3.5

I loved Firelight, I love Kristen Callihan’s writing, the dark gothic tone, yet, I didn’t love Daisy. At least not at first. Now don’t get me wrong, I did like the book, I just didn’t love it. I feel like so much of the plot was dragged out. That worked in Firelight, it added to the mystery and suspense. I didn’t think it worked as well here. In fact, I think it made the plot slow down.

Ian was a sad figure, a good match for Daisy, though. But again, I didn’t really love him. I didn’t like how he wouldn’t take responsibility for his position. I get the reason why, but on the other hand, I kinda don’t. His story is so sad, and what happened to his son is horrible, but I don’t think running away is the answer, as he found out.

The were attacks that are scaring Londoners are getting worse, and Ian realizes it’s not a random pattern. The were is hunting and Daisy is next on the list. The clan chief is doing nothing and denies having a rogue were, yet Ian has seen glimpses of it. Daisy has seen it up close. Yet Ian’s king denies it. Why is that?

I’ve read through some of my friends’ 5 star reviews, and the funny thing is, I agree with everything they said, but I just couldn’t get into this book. It seriously took me months to get around to finishing. I was stuck around page 36 forever. Once I passed that point, I did get more into it. In fact the last third of this book is fantastic and action-packed. I never realized that who I thought was the villain of the piece, wasn’t.

The banter and the description is where this book shined. I mean really, really, you need sunglasses to look at it type of shined. I can’t find another author who grasps this gothic vibe like Callihan does. It’s a beautiful and vivid world she’s created and I can’t wait to read more.

I look forward to Poppy and Winston’s book, and like I said, I really love the writing. But I think I didn’t like Daisy and Poppy very much at all in Firelight, and it’s hard for me to change my pov and let them be heroines now. I’m trying though, and with what Winston and Poppy went through, I don’t see their HEA being easy at all.

***ARC courtesy of netgalley.com
Profile Image for Ferdy.
944 reviews1,085 followers
August 4, 2012
Spoilers

Moonglow is book two in the Darkest Londen series, it focuses on Daisy, the sister of the heroine (Miranda) in the first book. After finally coming out of the required mourning period for her despised husband, Daisy is finally able to have fun and live her life the way she wants. On Daisy's first night back into society, she and her would be lover are attacked by a werewolf. Daisy finds herself in danger and soon realises that she may not be as normal as she thought she was.
Werewolf Ian Northrup/Ranulf is having difficulty performing in the bedroom and is tiring of his long immortal life. That all changes when he comes across a werewolf attacking Daisy. Ian is instantly attracted to Daisy and when he realises that the mad werewolf is attacking women with Daisy's scent he sets about finding and destroying the wolf before Daisy is harmed.

-The storyline, worldbuilding and side characters were quite good. There were parts that I did find predictable but it was still fairly entertaining. The world is expanded and we get to meet other supernaturals and see how they all fit in and interact with each other. The addition of the new supernaturals should make future books more interesting and richer.

-I was put off by Ian and Daisy's romance, mainly because Ian used to think he was in love with Daisy's sister, Miranda. It's just not romantic that he once tried to seduce Miranda.
I'm not sure I can believe Ian's love for Daisy when up until meeting Daisy he thought he was in love with Miranda. How can I be certain of his love for Daisy when he doesn't know his own heart? When he's fickle, unsure and indecisive? When his strong feelings for someone go away as quickly as they started? When he gives away his heart so often and easily? Ian's former feelings and desire for Miranda tainted his romance with Daisy. If Miranda had chosen Ian instead of Archer, I'm doubtful that Ian would have even fallen for Daisy.
Daisy and Ian's romance seemed more based on lust than love. There was just something missing from their relationship.

-I was disappointed with Daisy, she didn't seem as lively and confident as she had been in the first book. It was annoying how insecure, helpless and needy she was. Ian had to save her too many times and I was pissed by how she let Ian bulldoze his way into her life and let him dictate what she should and shouldn't do. I didn't like that she lusted after Ian so soon after he flirted with and made innuendos towards her sister. It was sad how Daisy was jealous of Miranda and Lena's relationship with Ian. I would have liked Daisy to have been more confident and less whiny and insecure.
I found it unrealistic that Daisy didn't have any kids after being married for 6yrs. Her husband hated her when he found out she wasn't a virgin so he apparently stopped sleeping with her - AS IF. Daisy's supposed to be beautiful, of course he would have still slept with her even if he hated her, the least he would have done is try and get an heir out of her. I've noticed that the heroine can never have kids from someone other than the hero, yet there's loads of heroes in PNR/UF fiction that have kids from someone other than the heroine - It's such BS.
I lost respect for Daisy when she left Poppy whose husband was dying just so she could have sex with Ian - ugh. Where's the loyalty and support? The fact that she chose to have sex with a guy she knew for a few weeks rather than comfort her distraught sister wasn't romantic, it was disgusting.

-I'm sick of heroes that sleep around, behave badly and that think of noone but themselves - it's not attractive. However as Ian is good looking we're meant think he's misunderstood, tortured and just needs the love of a good woman. If Ian was fat and ugly everyone would think he was vile and disgusting. Why are YA/PNR/UF authors obsessed with mansluts?! Ian being a manslut added nothing to the story it only made the romance seem less believable. Guys that sleep around don't want to settle down, they like being with different girls each night.

-Poppy's reasons for not telling Miranda and Daisy what they were, made no sense. I mean Miranda already knew she was a firestarter, so Poppy not telling her why she could start fires, was just dumb. She knew Miranda felt like there was something wrong with her and that she felt alone - so what harm would there have been to tell the truth??Miranda had a right to know and keeping it secret was pointless and caused Miranda unnecessary suffering. Telling Miranda the truth would have helped her, she should have armed her sisters with knowledge instead of keeping them in ignorance. Miranda and Daisy forgave her too easily and Poppy didn't even seem to regret not telling them sooner.

-One thing I love about the series so far is that the heroines aren't blushing virgins - they've actually had enjoyable sexual experiences before meeting the hero. It's so refreshing.

-A lot of the british slangs/britishisms didn't flow well or weren't used in the right context - reading some of the odd dialogue just jarred me right out of the story.

I didn't enjoy this book as much as Firelight mainly because of Ian and Daisy's underwhelming romance. I thought the glimpses of Poppy and Winston were more engrossing and I'm actually looking forward to reading their book.
Profile Image for ✩ Yaz ✩.
472 reviews1,097 followers
November 11, 2021
5 - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

"I swear on my soul I won’t let your love go to waste. With everything I am, I give it back to you in return. I shall keep you and love you till my last breath.”

Moonglow is the second installment in The Darkest London paranormal romance series set in Victorian London.

Like the first book, this book had mystery intrigue, swoon-worthy romance and a fantastic paranormal aspect.

What's different is that the book shifts its focus to werewolves.

A shiver of feeling danced over him. The moon. That glorious seductress. Her power pulsed through him like so much wine. She fueled him, and in return, the beast stirred.

I found that to be a pleasant surprise. I'm not the biggest enthusiast when it comes to paranormal creatures like a werewolf but the author knows how to fit them in the right place within the story.

The world-building maintains its lushness and unlike other Victorian-era books I've read, this one dampens their glow and adds a dark tone to London befitting the eerie atmosphere in the book.

Daisy and Ian are such a dynamic duo! A tortured hero and a widow whom was a victim of abuse by her former husband. I enjoyed their amazing sexual tension and banter. Their chemistry was sizzling right from the moment they met.

“This is madness, Ian. You know that, don’t you?”
“And yet it is the only thing that has ever felt completely right.”

The story's main plot follows a series of gruesome murders by a vicious killer that may likely be anything but human. With both being somehow connected to the murders, Ian and Daisy form a duo for a quest to investigate these murders and will they be willing to accept the secrets both are hiding? Will these murders uncover a dark truth that may shatter them?

“We’ve both lived in fear for so long, denying what we are to the world, to ourselves. And what good has come of it? I don’t want to live that way anymore, Ian.”

Another thing I was impressed by was the highlight on a STD which is not something I find often in the books I read and I liked the way it was handled even if briefly. The devastation of it was raw and deeply felt.

I think I liked this as much as the first book, the threads of the story sort of felt loose midway and I felt a little lost but I found my way back.

“We are all imperfect creatures, love. I don’t want perfect. I just want you.”

The slow-burn romance was done splendidly.

There were many emotional moments in the story that kept tugging at my heart, the last 30% portion of the book especially made me teary-eyed. Despite the flaws in this book, I know it did the job when my emotions are stirred.

I look forward to continue this series even though each book can be read as a stand-alone they are connected in a way.

This series is making develop a fondness for paranormal romances, a genre that I wasn't much into.
Profile Image for Jen Davis.
Author 7 books694 followers
July 31, 2012
I loved Firelight. When I found out it was the first in a series, I wondered how Kristen Callihan could possibly duplicate such an arresting and unique story in a sequel. The short answer is: she doesn't try to. Yes, Moonglow is set in the same world, with overlapping characters. But Daisy has a decidedly different story to tell than her sister did. And Ian is nothing like Archer. Their story is singular, and that is a good thing.

As the book opens, Daisy is coming out of mourning from the death of her horrible husband. She is finally free to find happiness and passion. She is just getting started, by trysting with a handsome man outside of a party, when she witnesses a werewolf attack. Her companion is killed and she is injured. That's when Ian swoops in and brings her to his home.

Ian is Lycan, but he lives apart from others of his kind. He recognizes the scent of wolf at the scene of the attack and must make sure that Daisy does not spread the word of what she has seen. As she recovers, the two pick up a flirtatious banter --that is, until he realizes she is Miranda's sister and she figures out that he is the oaf who tried to interfere with Miranda's relationship with Archer. They plan to go their separate ways, but when it's revealed the rogue wolf is targeting women who share Daisy's scent, Ian realizes she'll only be safe in his care until he can track down the killer.

Ian carries the tragedies of his past like a boulder on his back. A failed romance. A lost child. They make him afraid to open himself to love. Beyond that, there are pack politics at play, which put him and Daisy both in danger.

Callihan has taken the world she built in Firelight and expanded it, introducing new supernatural creatures to mingle with the old. At first, I wondered why she was introducing so many threads, but then she wove them all together, showing they were relevant from the beginning. There was nothing predictable. She surprised me and excited me with the werewolf arc... and still managed to answer old questions and reveal new truths about Daisy and her sisters.

The tone and the atmosphere is very similar to the last book, which I was happy about. It's still got that wonderful dark, gothic feel. A London that is a contrast of rich lushness and dank grime. The environment was almost like its own character in the book.

I enjoyed the romance between Ian and Daisy. It was really nice to watch them overcome their old hurts to let each other in. The sexual tension was good and the love scenes were steamy. The resolution was unexpected and satisfying. Plus, we've got the set up for Poppy's story. I'm curious to see how that will play out, since she is already married to her hero and so much has already happened between them.

Very good.

*ARC Provided by Grand Central Publishing
Profile Image for Irene Sim.
689 reviews76 followers
June 8, 2017
Did I complain for the lack of paranormalcy in the previous book? Oh, boy. The second book had in it supernatural beings that I haven't heard before. What exactly is a GIM? What was the angel-like, transluscent-ice creature that appeared to Wilson? Werewolves, shifters, vampires, elementals, lycans, ghosts, they all made an appearance in the story some more involved than others - only Mary bloody Poppins was missing hoping around in her Carouzel horse.
 photo marypoppins_zpsx6xrn26k.jpeg

I am intrigued beyond measure for where the story will evolve in the next books.
And in addition an amazing couple Ian and Daisy.
Profile Image for Lana Reads.
439 reviews163 followers
June 26, 2022
*2nd read*
Gosh, I remember loving this one back in 2019 and it did not disappoint this time.

Loved Daisy, loved Ian so much (nothing gets better than a redeemable bad boy from a previous book), their chemistry burned through the pages.
I'm off to the next one. Bye.
Profile Image for Fani *loves angst*.
1,616 reviews229 followers
April 5, 2017
This is the story of Ian MacKinnon/Earl Ranulf and Daisy, Miranda's sister, whom we both met in Firelight. As readers of Firelight already know, Ian -as well as the entire Ranulf clan- is a werewolf while Daisy's a very ordinary human unlike her talented sister. Unlikely as the relationship between them seems, since Ian in the first book was more of a villain than a hero and also infatuated with Miranda, Daisy's forced to accept his protection when she becomes the -almost- victim of a werewolf's attack. Daisy knows better than to trust Ian after the way he tried to ruin her sister's marriage, but she can't help being attracted to him and slowly but steadily, coming to like him when she sees he's more than a handsome facade. Ian on the other hand is impressed by her strength, her intelligence, her courage and her will to live the way she -and not the society- desires. Though she's physically very different from the women he usually favors, he can't ignore her lush figure and sexuality anymore than he can deny his own heritage: that of the destined leader of the Ranulf werewolf clan.

Sadly this did not come up the first book's brilliance. The protagonists though likable were not as well developed as Archer and Miranda and I never felt deeply moved by their woes and scarred past lives. Simply said, I was more intrigued by the secondary characters of this story like Winston Lane & Poppy (which I hated -until I reached the epilogue- for withholding such important information from her sisters without good reason), Lena, Lucien and mostly Talent, than the actual hero and heroine. Even though I was initially charmed by the instant and easy connection between Ian and Daisy, the fact that Daisy left her sister when in pain to go and start an 'honest' relationship with Ian, only to forget telling him who she really was until he asked days later, was the beginning of the end for me. The fact that their relationship was also based too much on lust didn't endear it to me either, as well as .

The mystery though, the action, the smooth writing style and the glimpses of London's secret world of supernatural beings, kept my interest alive and I'm looking forward for the next book in the series hoping the main characters will have more 'flesh' on them.

ARC provided by NetGalley
Profile Image for Melanie.
515 reviews139 followers
August 14, 2012
I loved this one!

In 'Firelight' Kristen Callihan introduced us to a gritty Victorian-Gothic London where historical and paranormal romance collided with the thrill of a great mystery. Now, in 'Moonglow' we are returned to this riveting 'Darkest London' and KC has again wowed me with her unique take on the supernatural - just when I thought I knew all about werewolves, Callihan takes keyboard in hand and rewrites the "noble" Lycan creatures.

Moonglow picks up about a year after Miranda and Archer's story, with her outwardly fun-loving, newly widowed sister Daisy narrowly escaping with her life after a vicious attack by a werewolf. Ian Ranulf, Marquis of Northrup, exiled werewolf and previously enamored with Miranda, steps in to protect Daisy from the mindless creature who appears drawn to Daisy's scent. What follows is a harrowing adventure where both Ian and Daisy must accept who and what they are - as their feelings for each other grow from attraction into love, trust and respect.

While 'Moonglow' didn't have as much of the mystery/thriller element that was inherent to 'Firelight', KC still gives us lots of surprises. I loved that she clears up some questions that remained from 'Firelight' regarding Miranda's special powers. The biggest surprise, however, was how things all work out in the end... Based on "well-known" werewolf-lore I thought I knew where the story was heading in terms of the HEA... boy, was I wrong! Instead, Callihan delivers an alternative that was staring me in the face pretty much the whole time, but I was too blinded by pre-conceived notions to see. Well played Ms. Callihan! Well-played, indeed!

I can't wait to find out what's in store in the next installment, 'Winterblaze'... Poppy and Win have some definite issues to resolve before reconciliation!

Profile Image for Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews).
1,694 reviews870 followers
October 7, 2015
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

Sequel Syndrome strikes again! I had been looking forward to reading this direct follow-up to Callihan's engaging and fun first novel, Firelight, for months now. Upon randomly stumbling across and loving the first in the Darkest London series earlier this year, I was eager to see where Callihan would take her version of London run amok with the supernatural. First seeing this up on NetGalley, the anticipation of a good book when I was approved.. all added up to a lot of pressure and excitement on my part...which never really panned out here in Moonglow. A lot of the charm, the fun, the inventiveness that made the first so memorable and easy to read is missing here. I must admit that I really struggled to finish this, through the predictable plotlines, the meandering plot, the boring sections when nothing happens, though my ARC was only 300 pages. I've gone back and forth with my rating for this - from a 1.5 to a 2.75 to a 2.5 and then finally settli9ng a "2". It's not horrible, but it's just not good, either. Other fans of the first and the series don't seem to be nearly as disappointed as I was, but this is going down as my biggest let-down in months. It had so much potential, so much momentum from the first, and Moonglow utterly squanders both.

I hate the disappointment that often comes so easily to a series of books, usually right where Moonglow is in sequence - the volume between the first inception of a series and the finale of it all. The concepts that were so creative in the first book of Darkest London, just don't have the benefit of the originality, and so it falls to the characters and plot to make up for the lack. That never happens here. Never. Instead of the fresh concept of paranormal curses like what plagued Archer, Moonglow is just another romance novel werewolf tale. I wanted to like the two lead protagonists in Daisy Ellis and Ian Ranulf, but I never invested or connected with either person. It, that ineffable quality some characters possess to make you like them even against your will (see The Hound, Jaime Lannister, etc.)just wasn't there for me. Not for Ian the charismatic, dark anti-hero of Benjamin Archer that I so easily fell under the sway of before. From a villain in the first book to the hero of the second, MacRanulf just fell entirely flat in his presentation, his character and his actions. I also couldn't buy his motivations and change of character from one book to the next. An anti-hero or a man with a dark past is one thing, but the Ian from Firelight was an ass, one I hated, and I therefore couldn't (wouldn't?) buy into his Poor Noble With A Troubled Heart act here in book two. Callihan did her work too well with the first novel with his character for me to see him as sympathetically as she tries so hard to paint him here.

Daisy, his obvious love interest from the first book, had plenty of sass but it felt forced, and disjointed when with her lover. Their tart, acerbic banter could be amusing on occasion, but for the most part, left me cold and disbelieving of their affections for one another. I don't even have a lot to say about Daisy. She was there, she did what she had to move the book along.  She's blah, meh, milquetoast to the tip of her blonde head. I missed Miranda's fire, excuse the pun. The third person POV doesn't really do any favors for either lead: perhaps had I read inner monologues and thoughts I would've cared at all more. I certainly  liked that Daisy was independent and had a mind of her own, but I just couldn't connect with her. I wanted both her and Ian to mature the hell up and act like adults instead of the "I like him/her so I am going to be as rude, inscrutable, cold and mysterious as possible" act that went on for far too long. This isn't young-adult literature, people. This is a romance novel with supernatural elements: please stop with the teenage melodrama and wishy-washy bullshit.We all know you're going to fall in love and bang - please don't make the read there unbearable. When the romance finally did happen along, proceeding as we all knew it would, I had issues; partially due to their weird interactions leading up to that point, but I wasn't into it. The two complement each other well, sure, but I just didn't care about their love lives, their sex scenes or, above all, their angst over the other. If I don't care about either character independently, why would I care when they're together? Oh right: I don't and I didn't.

The mythology of the weres and the lycans is weak. I can't think of another way to put it. It's not explained nearly enough and seems to be ridiculously arbitrary. See? I have many, many questions upon finishing this...none of which are even close to be answered. All that mess adds up to a very unsatisfactory read, full of holes and problems; showing a novel that doesn't take the time to flesh out its own world and lore. I also have to note that this has a Scottish werewolf pack with members named Maccon, Conall, and a beta named Lyall. That doesn't sound at all familiar to fans of Gail Carriger's delightful Parasol Protectorate series, does it? Noo, not at all. Coincidence, or homage? Either way, it's too close to home for yet another alternate supernatural history of England to name their wolfen members such names.

Too much of the plot here was predictable, when it even cared to make an appearance (which was rarer than the female lycans mentioned in passing.) I called two of the key twists long before they happened, to my immense chagrin. I don't remember the first novel's plot as being this transparent and was surprised at how obvious a lot of the "mystery" was to the reader. A little more authorial sleight-of-hand to camouflage the clues would've gone a long way. Long stretches of boredom permeated my one-day read of the novel; sections filled with the annoying back and forth of the main character, with absolutely no plot advancement. Seriously, for like 75 pages, everyone forgets there is a mad, murderous werewolf on the loose. Other elements just felt stuffed in, randomly, like the GIMs, who don't serve any real purpose til the end... That whole bit just seemed like lazy writing to me - an easy out to fix a plot point. I expected more from what was there - without the side filler and angst, this would've been a much stronger, more enjoyable read.

I'm torn. I like to finish what I start, but I don't know if I will be continuing the Darkest London series with the third Ellis sister installment: Winterblaze. Kristen Callihan has an easy style, but I was not happy with this latest effort. Much weaker, much less original, much less detailed, and with much more off-putting leads, than Firelight, Moonglow was big swing and a miss. Callihan is 1 for 2 so far, and only time will tell if I give my disappointment time to cool.... and  choose to pick up the third.
Profile Image for Jenn (The Book Refuge).
1,567 reviews2,260 followers
March 23, 2022
Really great second book in the series. This one involving werewolves and Lycans and more paranormal beings.

Again it did drag a bit through the middle but ended very strong.

4 Stars
2 on the spice scale

TW for Domestic Abuse and Terminal Illness, loss of spouses and Mentions of Suicide
Profile Image for Kathleen.
1,291 reviews29 followers
April 27, 2020
4.5 stars, cuz I love me a werewolf, and this author writes well.

I first read the prequel, Firelight. It's wonderful, so I wasn't expecting to like Moonglow even more. But I did. It felt more emotionally grounded, less cerebral. But it's win-win any way you look at it, because Miranda and Archer from Firelight play a good sized role in this book.

Main characters: Ian is a Scottish lord and a Lycan, a shifter who fears letting his inner wolf out, and has never done so. He should be the Lycan clan leader, but he stepped down years ago after his wife died. Daisy is overjoyed to be a widow. With an affinity for all plant life, she skillfully creates unique blends of perfume. Like her sister Miranda, Daisy has special powers, unbeknownst even to her.

The characters' actions were consistent with their past behaviors and presumed values, with only a few exceptions (like when Daisy did not stay by Poppy's side when her husband Winston was near death, or when Poppy kept the family secret to herself, causing needless distress).

Plot in a nutshell: Together, Ian and Daisy try to find the mad wolf who is killing women who wear Daisy's personally blended perfume. The wolf is hunting Daisy, too. Ian is determined to protect Daisy, whose floral scent is embedded in her skin and can't be washed away. At the same time, Ian must confront his dysfunctional and corrupt Lycan wolf pack, whose leadership he abdicated decades ago. Towards the end, he learns a terrible truth -- the cost of his abdication. It brought me to tears.

Relationship development: Both Ian and Daisy have been sorely mistreated by spouses who vowed to love them. They find each other, and it really is beautiful. I loved Ian and Daisy, and was not bothered one bit by Ian's amorous attention to Miranda in book 1. Watching these two proud but lonely individuals develop a loving bond was just delightful. The author does such a nice job with relationship development, and while the sexual tension is always present, it is not a substitute for the development of trust, loyalty, honest intimacy, etc. Daisy is tough, earthy, and compassionate. Ian is rascally and devilish, but he feels deeply. I loved that Daisy held her own with the powerful Ian and learned to embrace her powers. I also loved seeing Ian's inner wolf get some loving compassion from Daisy, until Ian learned to trust that side of himself. However, I felt shortchanged at the end, and wanted more time with Ian in his wolf form. I wanted to see the wolf get his season in the sun, romping with Daisy.

Suspense: The plot kept me guessing. High marks for tension. The scene at the Highgate cemetery was outstanding! I felt I was there, with a crazed wolf on the loose. Loved the scenes where Daisy used her special powers, especially the scene at the mansion with the horribly vicious wolf attack. Lots of plots twists. One of them literally had my jaw drop. One or two resolutions were not welcome; they made me quite sad.

World building? Some new stuff added onto the world created in book 1, specifically the SOS society, the elementals, and the GIMs. Not an overwhelming amount of new development. Easy to absorb into the schema.

Gore? Yes, lots!! Heads rolling, limbs flying, blood gushing. Not my cup of tea, so I sped through these parts, but essential to the plot and not gratuitous.

Sex? Yes, but not until the time was right, after trust and emotional intimacy had been established. The sexual tension builds nicely throughout the book, but it felt passionate and emotional, not cold or mechanical. The scene in the carriage ride was totally steamy (but I had to chuckle for poor Ian!)

Caution! Vaguely written spoiler, describing the book's biggest flaw:

Language and typos: Some typos, but only a handful. I found it easy to sink into the narrative -- no writing mannerisms got in the way. Dialogue flowed. However, there is far more religious profanity than I like (compares unfavorably with Patty Briggs, Jayne Ann Krentz, C. S. Wilson, Julie Garwood, Linda Howard, etc).

In sum, a superior story! A superior series!!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 842 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.