Start by marking “Ember (Darkest London, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Ember (Darkest London, #0.5)

Ember

(Darkest London 0.5)

Prequel to Firelight.

After a fire consumes the Ellis family fortune, the beautiful and resourceful Miranda finds herself faced with an impossible dilemma: enter a life of petty crime or watch her family succumb to poverty. But once her fiancé learns of her descent into danger—and of the strange, new powers she's discovered—saving her family may come at the high price of he
Published January 31st 2012 by Forever Yours

To ask other readers questions about Ember, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Hollis
I'm no stranger to Callihan's writing and this has bumped along up and down my tbr for aaaages. A recent push from seeing some buddy reads had me dipping my toe into this sorta-prequel set of mini scenes to set the tone for the Darkest London series and the characters and I am intriiiiigued. Though I bet a lot of this will make more sense later. Still, I liked. I'm looking forward to more.
♡Karlyn P♡
This short story made me want to read Firelight over again! I read Firelight last month and it stayed fresh in my memory, but reading Ember has brought that book back to life for me. It was so good.

Ember's time line take place between the prologue and chapter 1 of Firelight. While not necessary to read prior to Firelight, it will give readers a better understanding of how Miranda ended up in the situation she did, and explain how Archer has struggled with his curse and ailment.

Ember also gives
Isabella - Madly in Love with Books
Buddy Read - I am really glad that my GR friends gave me the advice to read this novella before I start the series Darkest London. It shows us, how the characters in book one meet and it does in a formidable way.
The setting and situation was rather gloomy and the atmosphere was written so well, I could feel the fog settling on my skin. I was drawn in by the writing in no time and I am convinced that I will enjoy this series tremendously if the writing style stays at this level.

What we get to k
Jonetta
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story really should be read as a companion to Firelight as they play off of each other rather well. I read it after the first book but think it would have been more helpful to read it first. It will be the preference of each individual reader to decide.

I liked learning the back stories of Miranda and the events that were pivotal in shaping her and her destiny. As for Archer, it filled in the spaces around the time he was away from London. It's exotic, sensual and eerie, all very fitting fo
Sam (AMNReader)
reread 3/5 And this original still stands:

______________________________
An engaging prequel/novella. Obviously I'm on to read Firelight straight away.
Melindeeloo
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
If you are at all interested in reading Firelight I wouldn't suggest reading Embers first. Even though it is touted as a prequel, Ember reads for the most part like deleted scenes - you know the kind of scenes a good author writes to develop a character's back story, but then religates to the cutting room floor in order to make their finished work stronger. This is especially true for Miranda's part in Ember, her parts just flesh out things that are mentioned in passing for Miranda in Firelight. ...more
Bubu
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hr, read-2017, pnr, 4-stars
Update 03/18: b-r with Joanna, Sam and Isabella

***********

Original Review: 02/17

Although marked as 0.5, thus indicating it's a prequel, Ember is rather an assortment of deleted scenes, covering the years between the prologue and the actual story of Miranda and Archer in Firelight.

It also explains a few things that were mentioned in the main book only ever in passing, if at all.

And, of course, it shows that Miranda and Archer never really stop thinking of each other after that one fateful encount
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Ember is labeled as the prequel to Firelight, the first book in the Darkest London series, but as many others have said, it doesn’t read like a prequel. For me it’s more of a companion to Firelight, because most of this novella takes place after Archer and Miranda have already met. What Ember does is fill in the gaps, answers questions about what both were doing before the events that brought them together again in Firelight.

This is one of the better novellas I’ve read, and had me wanting to go
Joanna Loves Reading
Great writing, and interesting characters. This is a companion novella to Firelight. On its own, I don’t think it amounts to too much, but it is great when paired with the novel. Buddy Read for the series with Isabella, Sam and Bubu!

Loved this:

”We’re all monsters, luv. Each and every one of us. So happens some of us have prettier faces to hide behind is all.”

And this:

”A cat cornered will use her claws. And why shouldn’t she, eh? You’ll find yourself thankful for that fire again one day, mark me.
Jill
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it

Come back to me, Archer.

Though Ember is a prequel to Firelight, in my opinion it's probably better to read this after Firelight. This short story fills in some of the details of the lives of Archer and Miranda, set (mostly) after their first meeting. The narrative alternates between Miranda and Archer's stories.

Miranda's timeline is set solely during 1881 in London. We see Archer travelling the world starting in 1879 in Egypt through the following three years to Central Mexico and the USA, and f
AH
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it

Ember is being marketed as a prequel to Kristen Callihan’s debut novel Firelight. Ember doesn’t really feel like a prequel per se, instead it is more of a companion book that fills in some of the gaps in Firelight. As many reviewers have already said, Ember is more like the bonus and deleted scenes from Firelight.

How should you read this series? Ember first or Firelight first? I think I had a richer reading experience because I read Firelight first, then Ember. I was already familiar w
Cathy (cathepsut)
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Entertaining prequel to Firelight, the first book in the Darkest London series. It revolves around Miri and Archer, same as Firelight. I would recommend reading Firelight first, as the prequel is quite spoilerish and would give too much away of the revelations in Firelight. Nice addition though, if you want to find out more about the time between Miri's and Archers first meeting and their wedding.

Fairly well plotted, with alternating POVs. Some suspense, some sex. Pretty rudimentary world buildi
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
This book should really be called #1.5 instead of .05. You'll be much better off if you read Firelight first before reading this book. Ember takes place shortly after Miranda and Archer initially meet and covers the years afterwards until they are reunited. Overall, I loved it. Except one thing.... I want more!
Stacie
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
3 1/2 "Curious" Stars!

Well... hmmmm. I really don't know about this one. This book feels like an unresolved mystery. But I think it's simply because it is written as an extended prologue. Therefore it has my curiosity peeked! I'm pretty sure I'll read book 1 Firelight. Happy reading!
Linda
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
A prequel to the first book in the Darkest London series, Miranda grew up with guilt from a tragic event that has her doing everything to make it up to her father. At the same time we get to see Archers quest for a cure, and to return to the woman hes claimed and payed for.
Wets your appetite, and I cant wait for my chance to start Firelight!
PNR and feelings, quick, short read.
Bookphenomena (Micky)
2.5 - 3 stars

This really didn’t add a lot in my opinion, maybe because I read it after book one. I was pretty bored at times.
Theresa
4 Stars... This novella chronicles the years where Miranda Ellis is a pickpocket to survive her dire circumstances while being engaged to her best friend but not her soulmate; and Lord Archer is traveling abroad in search for a cure for his unknown “illness” all the while maintaining watch over the enticing Miranda... Both holding on to one another through intense but elusive dreams, neither realizing that the stranger met years before is the key to their salvation... Beautifully written with in ...more
Sophia
I loved the Darkest London series from start to finish, but I managed to miss one of the novellas. I was keen to go back for the prequel story that told how it all began for Miranda and Archer.

Ember skipped the actual meet up for Miranda and Archer, but instead told the story of what occurred after he left her that night and up until the point he claimed her. The story was told in split narratives and time lines so that it went back and forth between the pair.

Miranda ekes out an existence pickp
new_user
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chase down Kristen Callihan's Firelight with the Ember novella. You won't be disappointed if you like deleted scenes or behind the scenes glimpses into nom-worthy titles, but Ember's allusions to scenes in Firelight mean more if one's read Firelight first, prequel or not.

For example, Firelight readers may have wondered about Miranda's relationship with Martin or the years between Miranda and Archer's reunion. Ember answers those questions, elaborates on certain motivations and turning points in
Dija
As far as novellas go, Ember is one of the better ones out there. But despite it being the prequel to Firelight, I wouldn't recommend reading it in that specific order, becase frankly, Ember isn't nearly as captivating. Most especially if you're meeting Miranda and Archer for the first time. If I'd read this before Firelight, I might have never gotten around to the latter because Miranda comes across as meek and impressionable and Archer as slightly insane and obsessed in this one.

Nonetheless,
Karishma
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Best read after Chapter 4 of Firelight but definitely not before the prologue of Firelight.
Priyanka
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very very excited to start this Historical Paranormal series. Onto the book 1!
Heather C
I just recently read Firelight and LOVED it soooooo much that I’m trying my best to clear my review schedule so I can move on to Moonglow as soon a possible.  The other night I was looking for something quick to read while on the elliptical and remembered there was a prequel to Firelight

WARNING WARNING WARNING — DO NOT READ EMBER BEFORE READING FIRELIGHT!!!!

Now that I’ve said that I can move on…

One thing I loved about Firelight was that I had so many questions throughout the book that were slow
Amy
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads, 2016
Great intro to this series!

I'm not always the biggest fan of novellas, but I really enjoyed this one. I was pulled into the story immediately. I loved the world the author has created. I am very intrigued by Archer and Miranda and cannot wait to get my hands on the next book in this series!
Dina
Note: I received this eARC from the publisher via NetGalley. That had no influence on my review/rating.
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
Reviewed for Wickedly Bookish

This companion novella to Firelight fills in that three year time lapse at the beginning nicely. Readers who enjoyed the first book in the Darkest London series, and couldn't get enough of Miranda and Archer will find this informative. There were many things left unexplained about Miranda and Archer's time apart in Firelight like (view spoiler). I definitely wond
Ember is published as a prequel novella to Kristen Callihan's debut novel Firelight but to be honest I think you're probably better off reading it after the main story. I absolutely loved Firelight and I really enjoyed getting a bit more background information about the main characters in Ember.

We get to see what happened to each of them in the three years between their very first meeting and when they marry. It was interesting to see more about how Miranda met Billy and to see just what caused
Jen Davis
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
For those of us who just couldn't get enough of Archer and Miranda in Firelight, there is just a little bit more of their story to share. "Ember" is characterized a prequel novella, but I'd consider it more like a companion piece highlighting a string of events leading to Archer & Miranda's reunion.

Most of those events are referenced in Firelight, which make them familiar, though enjoyable to read in more detail. We get a closer look at Miranda's failed engagement and how she met Billy, as w
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
I absolutely LOVED Firelight. Firelight had so many things happening & briefly touched on things that needed more info.

This book just had to be. It explained all the small things that were briefly touched on in Firelight, so I think in order to get the full effect of this story, it is still important to read firelight first. I appreciated this book much better that way.

You get to find out about the warehouse fire; what happened with Archer in Egypt; Miranda & Martin'r relationship &
willaful
Although technically a prequel to FL, Ember will probably be most enjoyed by those who are already fans of the first book: the two main characters of the story never meet (except in a supernatural dream), so as an introduction, it might feel like too much of a teaser. It's a quick read, abut 65 pages of fast-moving story in my ebook edition.

Ember describes the events after Ash and Miranda's first meeting in the prologue of Firelight, and what led to Ash returning to claim Miranda as his bride. S
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Turning Pages At ...: Ember (Darkest London 0.5) 11 13 Jul 26, 2016 07:17AM

• Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Once Upon a Wicked Night (Donovan Sisters, #1.5)
  • Lord of Fire and Ice
  • The Price of Temptation
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Warriors of the Rift, #1)
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
  • Her Christmas Pleasure (The Merry Widows #2)
  • Forever a Lady (The Rumor, #2)
  • A Season for Sin (The Sinful Scoundrels #0.5)
  • The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Unwilling (The MacLauchlans, #2)
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish
Kristen Callihan is an author because there is nothing else she'd rather be. She is a RITA winner and three-time nominee and winner of two RT Reviewer's Choice awards. Her novels have garnered starred reviews from Publisher's Weekly and the Library Journal, as well as being awarded top picks by many reviewers. Her debut book FIRELIGHT received RT Magazine's Seal of Excellence, was named a best boo ...more

Darkest London (7 books)
  • Firelight (Darkest London, #1)
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3)
  • Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)
  • Evernight (Darkest London, #5)
  • Soulbound (Darkest London, #6)
  • Forevermore (Darkest London, #7)
“You resist your fate. Let go and trust that the wind will take you where you need to go. Follow the signs.” Archer” 0 likes
“We’re all monsters, luv. Each and every one of us. So happens some of us have prettier faces to hide behind is all.” On” 0 likes