Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Group Challenges and Buddy Reads > Over in a Flash - July, 2016

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jul 05, 2016 01:30AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Over in a Flash - hopefully will be a reoccurring challenge.

I stole this idea (with permission) from the SOS: Serious Overload of Series group.

Over in a Flash ~ Cover Hunt & Theme Challenge ~
Duration: July 1st through July 31st.

Rules: Choose at least two (2) of the three (3) options below. (Meaning a minimum of two books.) Color may be the predominant color of the book, or a “pop” of color that catches your eye. Themes are explained. Items may be found on the cover, or the word found within the story-line.

Please feel free to post your book covers, read dates, and star ratings.

You may join at any time during the month. Feel free to do all three, or even more, if you want.

Member Choosing: Lauren, who has been a GoodReads Member since March 2013 and a HEAC member since February 2014, tells us about herself:
“I currently live with my husband in Tennessee, but I grew up in Alabama. I love going to the mountains, laying in hammocks, swimming/hot tubs, and really any activity that is relaxing and allows me to enjoy a good book! I have my Master’s in Library and Information Studies and I am a Children’s Librarian at the local Public Library where I live. I have had my dream job for a little over a year now and look forward to many more years here! I have two precious fur babies that are cats, The Great Catsby and Ritalin (he was my husband’s cat when my husband was in middle school and my mother in law is a Dr. so hence the medicinal name). No twolegged babies of our own yet, but hopefully soon. I enjoy loving on all the babies at our church and the ones that come in the library so they keep my heart full for the time being!

Favorite Genres & Authors: I love juvenile fiction and young adult fiction mostly but I am not set on a specific genre of books. I am kind of a phase reader, as in I have phases where I want to read nothing but Amish until I get bored and then I will read Zombie and Vampire books until I am bored, and then it’ll be non-fictions for a while. So I kind of hop around on what it is I feel like reading at the moment. My all-time favorite author is Robin Jones Gunn; I could re-read her stuff 1,000 times and never get tired of it!”
COLOR: Blue, White, or Red (For the American flag of course!)

JULY THEMES: (1) International Joke Day: {July 1st} - Read a book that is funny or was written by (or about) a comedian. (2) 4th of July: {July 4th} - Read a book where the story is happening in July or a Character gains Freedom/Independence. (3) International Kissing Day: {July 6th} - Read a romance with LOTS of kissing, a book where someone is kissing on the cover, or about finding Prince Charming (b/c sometimes you just have to kiss a lot of toads…) (4) Embrace your Geekness Day: {July 13th} - Read a book that is considered geeky or has a geeky hero/heroine. Or is about your geeky hobbies or interests! (Star Trek, Dr. Who, Wonder Woman, Comic Books/Graphic Novels, etc.) (5) Amelia Earhart Day: {July 24th} - Read a book about a female heroine, adventurer, or a Bad A$$ chick in general! (6) International Friendship Day: {July 30th} - Read a book about best friends or close/good sibling relationships.

ITEMS: July’s Birthstone is ruby. Its flower is the Larkspur. Zodiac Signs are Cancer - The Crab or Leo - the Lion. Also lips, people kissing, fireworks, American flags, geeky symbols (such as Pi, the Tardis, comic bubbles, etc.), toads or frogs, lakes, beaches, boats, or sunsets.

FROGKISSBOAT SUNSETEARHARTAM FLAG FIREWORKSINTERNAT'L FRIENDSHIPLARKSPURRUBY

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jul 05, 2016 01:42AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Blinkie Text Generator at TextSpace.net

Brandilyn		0/6
Brenda 0/3
Divya 0/2
Elaine 3/6
Jackie 0/2
Julianna 0/2
Lara 2/3
Lauren 0/4
Melissa 0/3
Nikki♥ 0/2
Nicole 0/3
Sandra 0/4
Shellii 0/4
Vicki 0/3
Valarie 0/3

0/2
0/2
0/2
0/2

message 3: by Valarie (last edited Jul 25, 2016 12:06AM) (new)

Valarie | 28 comments JULY CHALLENGE COMPLETED!

COLORS: Red, White or Blue - On the Road 07/09 ★★★

THEMES:
➊ International Joke Day: I Am America 07/15 ★★★
➋ 4th of July: Ellen Foster 07/12 ★★★★
➌ International Kissing Day: At Last 07/24 ★★★
➍ Embrace your Geekness Day: Darth Vader and Son 07/06 ★★★
➎ Amelia Earhart Day: Too Big to Miss 07/16 ★★★
➏ International Friendship Day: Cinder 07/16 ★★★★★

ITEMS: comic bubbles - How To Think Like Sherlock 07/09 ★★★

On the Road (Penguin Great Books of the 20th Century) by Jack Kerouac I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5) by Jill Shalvis Darth Vader and Son by Jeffrey Brown Too Big to Miss (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #1) by Sue Ann Jaffarian Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer How To Think Like Sherlock by Daniel Smith

message 4: by Jackie (last edited Jul 31, 2016 06:59PM) (new)

Jackie Happily Ever After Cafe

Group Challenges and Buddy Reads > Over in a Flash - July, 2016

July 1, 2016 to July 31, 2016

Completed 1/2

JULY THEMES: (1) International Joke Day: {July 1st} - Read a book that is funny or was written by (or about) a comedian. (2) 4th of July: {July 4th} - Read a book where the story is happening in July or a Character gains Freedom/Independence. (3) International Kissing Day: {July 6th} - Read a romance with LOTS of kissing, a book where someone is kissing on the cover, or about finding Prince Charming (b/c sometimes you just have to kiss a lot of toads…) (4) Embrace your Geekness Day: {July 13th} - Read a book that is considered geeky or has a geeky hero/heroine. Or is about your geeky hobbies or interests! (Star Trek, Dr. Who, Wonder Woman, Comic Books/Graphic Novels, etc.) (5) Amelia Earhart Day: {July 24th} - Read a book about a female heroine, adventurer, or a Bad A$$ chick in general! (6) International Friendship Day: {July 30th} - Read a book about best friends or close/good sibling relationships.

ITEMS: July’s Birthstone is ruby. Its flower is the Larkspur. Zodiac Signs are Cancer - The Crab or Leo - the Lion. Also lips, people kissing, fireworks, American flags, geeky symbols (such as Pi, the Tardis, comic bubbles, etc.), toads or frogs, lakes, beaches, boats, or sunsets.

Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3) by Jess Lourey Starboard Secrets (Cruise Ship Christian Cozy Mysteries #1) by Hope Callaghan

Only was able to read the Fourth of July book.

message 5: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Hi Lisa Kay, please put me down for 6.
Thanks

message 6: by Brandilyn (last edited Aug 01, 2016 08:50PM) (new)

Brandilyn (brandilynrc) | 233 comments I will try for 6 this month. Hoping to get back into the reading groove now that I am mostly settled in the new house.

6/6 Complete

COLOR:
Blue
Hard as Stone (SoulShares, #1) by Rory Ni Coileain 7/21

Red
Firestorm (SoulShares, #4) by Rory Ni Coileain 7/26

JULY THEMES:
(2) 4th of July: {July 4th} - Blowing Smoke 7/27
(4) Embrace your Geekness Day: {July 13th} - Blame It on the Mistletoe 7/31

ITEMS:
people kissing Acceptance (Forbes Mates, #3) by Grace R. Duncan 7/10
lakes André (Whitedell Pride #22) by Catherine Lievens 7/8

message 7: by Nikki ♥ (last edited Jul 19, 2016 05:52PM) (new)

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments I'm in for 2.

Over in a Flash July 3/2

Blue In the Dark (SEAL Team 12, #2) by Marliss Melton 7/7 - 4.5★
White and Red Sweet Ruin (Immortals After Dark, #16) by Kresley Cole 7/14 - 5★
International Friendship Day Born in Fire (Born In trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts 7/16 - 4★

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 75 comments I'm in for 3!

message 9: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I'm in 3

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 08, 2016 09:21AM) (new)

I'm in for 4!
HEAC-Over in a Flash ~ Cover Hunt & Theme Challenge ~

1/4

JULY THEMES:
(1) International Joke Day: {July 1st} - Can You Keep a Secret?
3 stars
Review: Good fun!
This book pins the idea that all those little mundane secrets we keep can actually add up to an entire, misleading perception about who we truly are.
Chick-lit in every way~light, fun, fast, and funny!

2.)Amelia Earhart Day: {July 24th} - Jane Eyre

ITEMS
3.)Zodiac Signs are Cancer - Magic Bites
4.) American flags North and South

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews North and South (North and South, #1) by John Jakes

Thank you =)

message 11: by Elaine (last edited Jul 07, 2016 06:33PM) (new)

Elaine HEAC - OVER IN A FLASH (July 2016)

FINISHED 6/6

1) RED COVER - To Tempt a Scotsman Victoria Dahl 4****
2) WHITE COVER - Lady Bridget's Diary Maya Rodale 3***
3) BLUE COVER - Jilting the Duke Rachael Miles 3.5*
4) INT. FRIENDSHIP DAY - The Devilish Pleasures of a Duke Jillian Hunter 5*****
5) PEOPLE KISSING COVER - The Scandalous Duke Takes a Bride Tiffany Clare 3***
6) SUNSET COVER - Pleasures of a Tempted Lady Jennifer Haymore 4****

Thanks

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Peters (lepeters) | 80 comments Hey Lisa Kay, it says the person who chose this month was Brenda...
I'm in for 3 this time around! :) I had a couple picked out to go with this one ;)

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 75 comments Over in a Flash
Duration:
July 1 - 31

0/3

Cover: {red} Wicked Appetite
Embrace your Geekness Day: {July 13th} Wonder Woman Unbound: The Curious History of the World's Most Famous Heroine
Amelia Earhart Day: {July 24th} Glory in Death

Wicked Appetite (Lizzy & Diesel, #1) by Janet Evanovich Wonder Woman Unbound The Curious History of the World's Most Famous Heroine by Tim Hanley Glory in Death (In Death, #2) by J.D. Robb

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 249 comments I'm in for 4 this time!! I have to try more if time permits since my daughter Lauren is the member choosing for this month. ;)

message 15: by Lara (last edited Jul 13, 2016 08:46PM) (new)

Lara | 59 comments Over in a Flash ~ Cover Hunt & Theme Challenge ~

One book from each option

Read: 3/3

COLOR: blue: The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1) by Genevieve Cogman 7/1

JULY THEMES: (6) International Friendship Day: {July 30th} - Lingus by Mariana Zapata 7/4

ITEMS: lakes, beaches - Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1) by Tracy Brogan 7/12

message 16: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 671 comments I'm in for 2 this time.

message 17: by Nicole (last edited Aug 23, 2016 10:40AM) (new)

Nicole | 115 comments Me too, I'm in for 3

Completed 2/3

The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1) by Kerrigan Byrne Kissing Day finished 7/21 ★★★★

The Undying King by Grace Draven 4th of July : Independence finished Aug ★★★★★

Cream of the Crop (Hudson Valley, #2) by Alice Clayton International Joke Day

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa In for 3

Blue & Red cover: Lover Be Mine (Legendary Lovers, #2) by Nicole Jordan
Amelia Earhart day: Seduced by a Spy by Andrea Pickens
Boat on cover: Ready for Love (Ready for Romance & Ready for Marriage) by Debbie Macomber

message 19: by Divya (new)

Divya Murugesan Nullathemby (divyamuru) | 3 comments Sign me in for 2!

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Lauren wrote: "Hey Lisa Kay, it says the person who chose this month was Brenda..."

Good Gravy Beans!!!! I am truly very sorry, Lauren. Terrible mistake. I put in your name and link, etc. My apologies. Will 11 puppies make up for it a tiny little bit?

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Welcome to the challenge, Valarie, Jackie, Elaine, Brandilyn, Nikki♥, Brenda, Vicki, Shellii, Lauren, Sandra, Lara, Julianna, Nicole, Melissa, & Divya!

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 249 comments 1/4 Completed 7/5/16

Color: RED (my favorite!)

Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes

5***** One of the best books that I have read in a very long time. Definitely the best this year!!

message 23: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Hi Lisa Kay, finished challenge - see message 11

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa Kay wrote: "Welcome to the challenge, Valarie, Jackie, Elaine, Brandilyn, Nikki♥, Brenda, Vicki, Shellii, Lauren, Sandra, Lara, Julianna, Nicole, Melissa, & Divya!"

Thank you! =)

message 25: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 249 comments 2/4 Completed 7/9/16

JULY THEME: Embrace your Geekness Day: {July 13th} - Read a book that is considered geeky or has a geeky hero/heroine w/ geeky hobbies/Comic Books/Graphic Novels, etc.

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

4**** I thoroughly enjoyed this book beginning to end! Reminds us of first loves and first every things! I picked it up because I wanted to see why some people are wanting to ban it from schools. I still do not understand why!! Unfortunately our children see and hear a lot worse than this on the evening news and in school environments. If you have not read it yet I highly recommend that you do.

message 26: by *Dawn (last edited Jul 12, 2016 11:04AM) (new)

*Dawn (x1f4dadawnx1f4da) | 14 comments HEAC, Over in a Flash ~ Cover Hunt & Theme Challenge ~

Books Used: 3

Rules: Choose at least two (2) of the three (3) options below. (Meaning a minimum of two books.) Color may be the predominant color of the book, or a “pop” of color that catches your eye. Themes are explained. Items may be found on the cover, or the word found within the story-line.

Please feel free to post your book covers, read dates, and star ratings.

You may join at any time during the month. Feel free to do all three, or even more, if you want.

JULY THEMES:
(1) International Joke Day: {July 1st} - Read a book that is funny or was written by (or about) a comedian.
(2) 4th of July: {July 4th} - Read a book where the story is happening in July or a Character gains Freedom/Independence.
Rock Her Inglath Cooper, 7-4-16 (4-1/2*) review More than one character gains independence (in more than one way).
Rock Her by Inglath Cooper
(3) International Kissing Day: {July 6th} - Read a romance with LOTS of kissing, a book where someone is kissing on the cover, or about finding Prince Charming (b/c sometimes you just have to kiss a lot of toads…)
No Limits Lori Foster, #1 Ultimate, 7-8-16 (4-1/2*) The MCs wait for a complete physical relationship but spend a lot of time kissing. This is important to the plot.
No Limits (Ultimate, #1) by Lori Foster
(4) Embrace your Geekness Day: {July 13th} - Read a book that is considered geeky or has a geeky hero/heroine. Or is about your geeky hobbies or interests! (Star Trek, Dr. Who, Wonder Woman, Comic Books/Graphic Novels, etc.)
(5) Amelia Earhart Day: {July 24th} - Read a book about a female heroine, adventurer, or a Bad A$$ chick in general!
(6) International Friendship Day: {July 30th} - Read a book about best friends or close/good sibling relationships.

Driving Me to You (London Loves Series Book 1) by Julie Farrell
Driving Me to You Julie Farrell, #1 London Loves, 7-2-16 (3*) - People kissing on cover.

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Finished my first book. Been really struggling to find reading time lately.

Blue on cover: Lover Be Mine (Legendary Lovers, #2) by Nicole Jordan

message 28: by Lara (new)

Lara | 59 comments I'm done!

Read: 3/3
COLOR: blue: The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1) by Genevieve Cogman 7/1
JULY THEMES: (6) International Friendship Day: {July 30th} - Lingus by Mariana Zapata 7/4
ITEMS: lakes, beaches - Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1) by Tracy Brogan 7/12

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 249 comments 3/4 Completed 7/19/16

July Theme: International Kissing Day: {July 6th} - or about finding Prince Charming (b/c sometimes you just have to kiss a lot of toads…)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

4**** I read this again in honor of my daughter Lauren who adores it & is the member choosing for the month. I think that I enjoyed it a lot more than I did in high school!!lol

message 30: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments All done. I ended up doing three.

Over in a Flash July 3/2

Blue In the Dark (SEAL Team 12, #2) by Marliss Melton 7/7 - 4.5★
White and Red Sweet Ruin (Immortals After Dark, #16) by Kresley Cole 7/14 - 5★
International Friendship Day Born in Fire (Born In trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts 7/16 - 4★

message 31: by Lara (new)

Lara | 59 comments Yea Nikki!

message 32: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I have finished "Over In A Flash" Theme Colors:
Red Cover= Tears Of The Renegade by Linda Howard
Blue Cover= Red Night (Vampire Files Trilogy Book 1) by R.K. Close
White Cover= Lord Of My Heart (Dark Champion #1) by Jo Beverley
Theme Zodiac Sign- Leo, Lion:
Lion Eyes (Shifters Unbound, #7.25) by Jennifer Ashley

message 33: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments Lara wrote: "Yea Nikki!"

:)

message 34: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 115 comments Finished The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1) by Kerrigan Byrne Good read 4★

message 35: by Lara (new)

Lara | 59 comments Yea Vicki!

message 36: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) Lara wrote: "Yea Vicki!"
Thanks!!!

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 249 comments 4/4 Completed 7/28/16

ITEMS: July’s Birthstone is ruby. (Ruby is name of character)
Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty

3***
This was my first book by Liane Moriarty. I am not yet sure if it will be my last. I did not connect with any of the characters & had to force myself to finish. I found it very slow and quite honestly, BORING!! It seemed to drag on & on !! By half way I just wanted it over & done!! I was expecting so much more from the description and her popularity!!

message 38: by Lara (new)

Lara | 59 comments Yea Sandra! Too bad you didn't really enjoy that book.

message 39: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 249 comments Lara wrote: "Yea Sandra! Too bad you didn't really enjoy that book."

Ikr! Life is too short for bad coffee or books!!lol

message 40: by Julianna (last edited Jul 29, 2016 03:03PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 671 comments HEAC Over in a Flash Challenge
Duration: July 1, 2016 - July 31, 2016
Completed: 2/2 - All Done!

1.Color (Red): One Summer by Karen Robards (7/7)★★★★★

2.Theme (International Kissing Day): His Comfort and Joy by Jessica Bird (7/18)★★★★1/2

One Summer by Karen Robards His Comfort and Joy (The Moorehouse Legacy, #2) (Callie/Grace/Walker Brothers/Moorehouse series, #5) by Jessica Bird

message 41: by Chris (last edited Jul 31, 2016 07:09PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 266 comments July - Better late than never :-)

Blue- The Ex by Alafair Burke Never Never (Never Never, #1) by Colleen Hoover Never Never Part Two (Never Never, #2) by Colleen Hoover Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland

Red: NYPD Red (NYPD Red, #1) by James Patterson The Duchess of Love (Duchess of Love, #0.5) by Sally MacKenzie NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

White: The Bartered Bride (The Bride Trilogy, #3) by Mary Jo Putney The One You Want (The Original Heartbreakers, #0.5) by Gena Showalter The China Bride (The Bride Trilogy, #2) by Mary Jo Putney Last Call (Cocktail, #4.5) by Alice Clayton

message 42: by Brandilyn (last edited Aug 01, 2016 08:51PM) (new)

Brandilyn (brandilynrc) | 233 comments Okay I did end up finishing... barely. July was a crazy month.

Brandilyn wrote: "I will try for 6 this month. Hoping to get back into the reading groove now that I am mostly settled in the new house.

6/6 Complete

COLOR:
Blue
Hard as Stone (SoulShares, #1) by Rory Ni Coileain 7/21

Red
"

message 43: by Lara (new)

Lara | 59 comments Yea Brandilyn!