Start by marking “Hard as Stone (SoulShares, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hard as Stone (SoulShares, #1)

Hard as Stone

(SoulShares #1)

Tiernan Guaire was exiled from the Fae Realm a century and a half ago for his brother’s murder. His soul torn in half, he lives by his vows —never to trust, never to love. And if he can only be whole by finding and loving the human with the other half of his soul? He’s content to live broken and half-souled.

Kevin Almstead’s future, the career he’s worked for as long as he
Published May 2015 by Riverdale Avenue Books (first published October 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hard as Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard as Stone

Ije the Devourer of Books
An interesting story but it didn't fully capture my attention.

Tiernan Guaire is exiled to the human realm for the murder of his brother. During the process of banishing him his soul is rendered into two and he is doomed to wander the Earth hoping to find the lost part of his soul which now resides in another.

Kevin Almstead is a weary worn lawyer. Tired of striving to make sense of his career he meets Tiernan at a bar and this is where the adventure starts. Kevin has never been attracted to men
Susan Nicol
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance-reads
I had no idea what I was in for when I started this book. Boy, was I blown away. The story had everything I love - hot sex, wonderful characters, imagination, action that left me breathless and a simple feeling that I really didn't want this book to end. The plot was incredible, the internal conflict in the characters well written and the interaction between the two men both moving and soooo erotic.

I loved the tale of Tiernan and Kevin, coming together in their Soulshare. Tiernan and his 'human'
Becky Condit
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard as Stone is the first book in Rory Ni Coileain’s Soulshare series and as such it is the world building book of the series. We get to know the Fae and their rather complicated, sometimes unlikeable Realm and its rules. The backstory is told in the prologue and some rather unsavory things happen in the past and off page there but it’s the set up to getting us to the present day story.
Tiernan is a fae who has been exiled to the human world. When fae are exiled they are passed through a kind of
Norma
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Hard As Stone’ by Rory Ni Coileain

Beautiful, heart-rending story.

I wish I could give more than 5 stars for this one!

With all the different paranormal romance books I have read that involved the Fae Realm, I never could have imagined one with this perspective. Ms. Coileain has gone where I’ve not seen an author go before, and the resulting story is amazing. Not only are the scene descriptions and dialogue well-written (excellent editing, too!), but the characters were vivid and came across as re
Ashley Groppe
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that likes M/M Romance/Urban Fantasy.
Recommended to Ashley by: Rory Ni Coileain
Hard As Stone by Rory Ni Coileain is one of the most incredible stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Her words transform from simple letters on a page into the most stunning visualizations, captivating the reader from page one. Pick up a copy of this book... You absolutely won't regret it.
Brandi
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was unlike anything I'd ever read, but in a good way. The author wove a few different plots throughout, had a typical opposites attract and really awesome bad guys, in a bad way. My favorite part were the men in the story, Kevin and Tiernan. The relationship started off a hot mess but the end was beautiful. There was also a new interesting twist on Fae and overall it was a fun read.
Nikki
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soulshares
I'm not very good at reviews, so am not writing chapter and verse, but I did feel the book merited a comment. Much like Marmite (which I hate) I either love a book or hate a book and I definitely loved this book. I would heartily recommend it, especially if you are looking for something a little different from the traditional 'boy meets girl' romance.
Morgan  Skye
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rory has built for us an elaborate, rich, and intriguing new world. In this world are malevolent Fae, backstabbing bosses, incestuous siblings (back story only) and murder. This world has magick and powers both in this world and in others. The author spends a good amount of time supporting her very hot love story with a very dense and intense fantasy world full of action and excitement.

Tiernan, our hero, can be difficult to love, especially at first. He is very hard on himself and others, and it
Didi

I'm troubled. This book is the second edition of the same title published a few years ago, and the start of a series that I keen to read. However, this one felt open-ended, not really completed.

The story told of an earth Fae in exile for crime he committed defending his sister's honor, by killing his brother. Thus, the name Kinslayer stuck. The exiling process going through Realm pattern torn his soul apart, and he only got to live his immortal life with half of his soul.

Fast forward
Rian Durant
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Can I put more than 5 stars, please?

This was my reaction when I finished “Hard as Stone” and had to rate it as it truly deserves few more. The first sentence sucked me in and by the end I was completely blown away.

The book caught my attention a month ago but I was reading something else at the time and I left it for later. After reading the short story “Obsidian”, however, I moved “Hard as Stone” straight to the top of my TBR list. I was curious if the author would be able to pull the same per
Curtis
[Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.]

After committing the ultimate crime in the eyes of the Fae, Tiernan Guaire has been exiled to the world of the humans, cut off from the Realm and his people. But in the process, his soul was split in two, leaving him destined to roam until he finds and connects with the human possessing the other half--even if it means eternity. Enter Kevin Almstead, a bright but not very ambitious attorney, who has alw
Wendy F
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I was really looking forward to Hard as Stone. Off the top of my head I can’t think of any M/M Paranormal Romances I’ve read, so the synopsis really had me excited!

Hard as Stone had so much going for it. The plot was very detailed, the history and world building had the basics that could have been expansive. The problem was the writing was just mediocre for me. What I hoped would be a well thought out plot and world got lost in strange phrasing and overly floral writing that was unnecessary. I a
Amy
I received this ARC for an honest review.

I went in to this read completely blind. No background on the story, no history of the author, just opened the book as started reading.

I am so excited to say, I loved this book. The characters were 2 very alpha men, Kevin, a normal everyday human attorney trying to make partner, and Tiernan a kinslayer from the fae world, banished to Earth after he killed his brother.

Taking you on an adventure to the human world, finding his soulshare, and fighting a dem
Ian
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arc
Tiernan Guaire is a Fae in exile. Forced from the Realm into the human world for the unimaginable crime of a brother’s murder, he lives by a century-old vow, to trust no one, and never to allow himself to love or be loved.

Kevin Almstead has just lost his future, to a vote of the partners at his law firm. Trying to escape for an evening, he ventures into Purgatory, the hottest all-male nightclub in Washington, D.C., where he allows himself to be seduced by a stranger with long blond hair and ice-
Diane S.
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was nothing what I thought it would be. The moment I read past page ten I was drawn into the world of the Fae. Tiernan Guaire draws you in and his initial reaction to Kevin makes the reader want to become Kevin just to experience one night with Tiernan.

Well written and detailed in painting the world that Tiernan Guaire comes from. If you are not an avid reader of m/m give the book a try. Rory leaves enough to the imagination so that the story draws in any type of reader.
Hot Stuff for Cool People
This review was originally posted on Hot Stuff for Cool People.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Fae, magic, romance, soul mates (of a sort)- what’s not to love? That’s why I originally requested this book for review. But I hadn’t heard very much about this book, and I’d never read the author before, so I didn’t go into it with too many expectations. I just wasn’t really sure what I was getting into.

Turns out this book wasn’t really what I expected at all. It starts with one
Lisa The Novel Approach
3.5 Stars

I love anything involving the Fae, which meant resisting the temptation of Rory Ni Coileain’s Hard as Stone was futile. It’s an erotic novel that has introduced an alternate reality where Tiernan Guaire and Kevin Almstead discover that falling in love with each other is a dangerous proposition.

Tiernan and Kevin worked pretty well for me as a couple—their chemistry was off-the-charts, no question—and they speak body language fluently. Tiernan is the Fae who was exiled to the human plane
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This review can be found at The Blogger Girls.

Marked as a kinslayer, Tiernan is banished from the Realm and sent to the human world to await the possibility of a souldshare bond. Now, well over a century has passed and Tiernan’s content existence is about to be rocked when he meets Kevin Almstead, the other half of his soul. Kevin’s just been told he has no ambition and passed over, yet again, for a chance as partner at his law firm. He’s not gay but that doesn’t stop him from going to an all-ma
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
4 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Tiernan was exiled from the Fae Realm 165 years ago for the unforgivable act of killing his brother, the Pattern tearing his soul in two and leaving him to roam the human Realm, only half the Fae he was. Tiernan chances upon his Soulshare completely by chance in a club and doesn’t realise it till to late, but how can he accept his Soulshare when he can’t love? Kevin is unhappy; he has just been turned down for
Becky Condit
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kerr
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
description

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for a chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Publish date: 26th May 2015

Full review can also be found on: Paein and Ms4Tune’s Book Blog

I found the concept of this story thoroughly fascinating and I hope to read the rest of the series soon because it's clearly only the beginning of the story. I have to say it was also pretty steamy too!

Kevin put up with a lot from Tiernan, but to be fair, he knew what he was getting into from the star
Ursula
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Jenn's Book Obsession
This was my first time reading anything by this author so I really didn't know what to expect going into this series. But my oh, my.... great chemistry, well written, strong set of characters and HOTT!!!

Tiernan was exiled to the human world for committing murder. He comes with baggage and huge insecurities. He struggles with his feelings for Kevin and goes off and fucks women and men to try to get passed what obviously seems inevitable.

Kevin is looking to drown his sorrows. Turned down yet again
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Just notes:

Oh that was not an appealing lay at all. I know it wasn't supposed to be but yuck.

Very cool that he's going through PTSD from the horrible thing that was done to him rather than him just being sad.

And it was going so well...lack of oxygen might make an orgasm more intense but choking is not sexy and not something that should be spring on someone mid-act. I don't find it appealing at all to read about.

Too much sex but Holy cow! That was sweet and romantic.

Megan Starr
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, kindle
This book is very interesting. I caught me off guard a few times, but I enjoy that because it shows good writing. Charters are likable and I felt like I knew them by the end of the book. There is love and fighting. Some areas were too much on the love for my liking but the action made up for that. I do want to know more about the Fae and a little more about his world, but this is only book one, so I'm hoping there will be more about his world. The last half of the book was my favorite and for th ...more
Kim Turner
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first story that I have read by Rory and I can
honestly say I loved it and I can't wait to read more of her books.

Hard Stone is the first book in her SoulShares series. Yes it is a
m/m story which I absolutely love that genre. I don't know why I just
do. Rory in my opinion does an awesome job of setting up the scenes and
it flowed nicely. The characters left me craving more and the sex was
pretty hot too. I think the trials and tribulations the characters go throug
left me gasping and
Suze
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suze by: Won from author on Elisa Rolle blog
I quite enjoyed this despite it being a genre I wouldn't normally choose (I won this on Elisa Rolle's blog last year).
Tiernan is banned from his home in the Fae realm, destined to roam Earth with only half his soul, unless he can find the human who holds the other half.
Kevin is a lawyer who is just not quite cutting it.
The human side of the story was ok - I did wonder if the yellow coat lady that Kevin sees twice was the Marfach, or if she has more significance somewhere. I did find the weeping
Geneva Handleman
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Rory has created an awesome world of hot sexy males and hot sexy fae. I love the idea of the soul being split by the Pattern and then finding its other half here. This particular couple are especially interesting to me because Kevin has never been attracted to a man before Tiernan.

I tend to read a great deal, and have varied interests, but few authors keep me glued to the page the way Rory does! While some of the finer points of the series do make it easier to understand whats happening i
Night Tempest
This book was sexy and flowed well for the most part. My only complaint comes from the sudden appearance of the enemy that had little to no prior historical reference within what we'd learned from the Fae in the beginning. The enemy was also extremely complicated to understand, maybe that was just me. I did find the concept interesting and the use of ley lines was a creative approach, but the plot became muddled with descriptions that had me reading and re-reading to try and understand. Other th ...more
Cherylanne
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast moving story where all things are possible. The author puts a twist on what I always thought the Fae were. I love the soulshare story. Kevin and Tiernan are an unlikely match but at the same time you can see how they are perfect for each other.
Defiantly a great story gets you involved and rooting for them both.
I would recommend it to anyone that reads paranormal romance and/or urban fantasy.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Black Dog Blues (Kai Gracen, #1)
  • A Shadow of Wings
  • Son of Death (Keepers of the Gods, #1)
  • The Druid Stone (Layers of the Otherworld, #1)
  • Lucky (Putman County, #1)
  • Heartsong (Fae, #2)
  • Eye of the Storm (Lords of Arcadia, #2)
  • Spiretown
  • Miles and the Magic Flute
  • To the Other Side (Terra, #1)
  • Want Me
  • Finn (Endangered Fae #1)
  • A Hidden Magic (Sentinels #1)
  • Songs of the Earth (Sumeria's Sons #2)
  • Dreams (Dreams of Fire and Gods, #1)
  • Goblins, Book One
  • Boots for the Gentleman (Steamcraft and Sorcery, #1)
  • Release (Davlova, #1)

SoulShares (8 books)
  • Gale Force (SoulShares, #2)
  • Deep Plunge (SoulShares, #3)
  • Firestorm (SoulShares, #4)
  • Blowing Smoke (SoulShares, #5)
  • Mantled In Mist (The SoulShares Series, #6)
  • Undertow (SoulShares #7)
  • Stone Cold (SoulShares #8)
“Like what you see, lanan?” 1 likes
“SoulShared. Bonded. Completed. Able to die. And still unable to love. This” 0 likes