Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Archives Retired Folder Threads > Collecting Dust June 2014 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by MK (last edited May 31, 2014 12:39PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments This is a monthly challenge for those readers who have had books forever on their TBR list.

This challenge will help you get those books finally read.

If you wish to participate then from your TBR bookshelf list 5 books that you would like to read for the month of June. The next member who comments will pick two choices from your list. You are only obligated to read 1 of those books, but you may choose to read both. Once you read it, let us know and you may add your review or link to your review!

RULES:
1) If you would like to participate, please sign up by May 31st, 2014.

2) Choose 2 books from the person's list that commented before you. First in, is last to pick - First person to sign up, please pick books for the last person to sign up :).

3) Each participant will have the entire month to read their book(s), post their rating and review. And tell us what you think of your book in this thread.

Let's have fun reducing our TBR piles*.

(link to May 2014)

*Books can be any of your TBR books, not restricted to classics.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited May 02, 2014 06:31AM) (new)

Rachel Hi Daisy!

My picks for your to brush off the dust on your bookshelf are I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and
Empires of Food: Feast, Famine, and the Rise and Fall of Civilization

Hope you enjoy!

My picks are:

1. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
2. A Mighty Heart by Sarah Crichton
3. A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
4. Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger
5. The Help by Kathryn Stockett

message 6: by Tytti (last edited May 06, 2014 05:43PM) (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Connie, I choose for you:

a) A Leaf in the Bitter Wind (because that sounds interesting)
and
b) Rhett Butler's People (because GWTW <3)

Because I am thinking of reading Crime and Punishment with you guys, I thought I'd let you choose something short for me to read "with" it. These are some of my shortest BookCrossing novels (so I can clear my bookshelf a bit):

1) The Blue Bedspread by Raj Kamal Jha

2) Hytti nro 6 by Rosa Liksom
Finlandia Prize winner, about a train journey a young woman makes across the Soviet Union.

3) Lapinvuokko by Enni Mustonen
About a young woman during WWII. She loses someone during the Winter War, works for Germans in Lapland during the Continuation War and I suppose gets in trouble during the Lapland War.

4) The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

5) The Hot Rock by Donald E. Westlake

(Is it possible to do this twice? I might need some help for choosing a book for May and I missed it... :-P)

message 7: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Tytti wrote: "...(Is it possible to do this twice? I might need some help for choosing a book for May and I missed it... :-P) "

Sure, just post two lists, and label one May, and the other June, and ask the next person who joins to be so kind as to choose twice for you :). Post your May pick in the May thread, if you come back to post reviews.

message 8: by Alissa (last edited May 07, 2014 08:33AM) (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Tytti,

I'll pick two for you for May! just list your May list =)

Here are your two for June:
Lapinvuokko by Enni Mustonen
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

Here are my five choices:
1.)The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
2.)The Call of the Wild by Jack London
3.)The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
4.)The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
5.)Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

message 9: by Tytti (last edited May 07, 2014 08:59AM) (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Alissa wrote: "I'll pick two for you for May! just list your May list =) "

Thanks, I have to remember that. Though maybe with Solitude I'll have enough already... I am a slow reader. (Especially because I am reading another book set in Lapland during the Continuation War (1941-44) and I have to finish that one before starting Lapinvuokko. So I'll have to see which one I read first.)

message 10: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Tytti wrote: "Alissa wrote: "I'll pick two for you for May! just list your May list =) "

Thanks, I have to remember that. Though maybe with Solitude I'll have enough already... I am a slow reader. (Especially b..."

totally understand! I manage to read one of my Collecting Dust books but not the second one just yet. And I'm also going to read Solitude this month!

message 11: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (shoegirl81) | 68 comments Alissa, I choose for you:

The Handmaid's Tale and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

My five choices are:

1. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
2. The Storyteller (Jodi Picoult)
3. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Brontë)
4. Fingersmith (Sarah Waters)
5. The Wind in the Willows (Kenneth Grahame)

message 14: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 537 comments For Edīte:

I pick either How We Decide or Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions because they both sound like something I might enjoy as well.

My list for June:
1. Middlemarch
2. Wuthering Heights
3. Rebecca
4. Invisible Man
5. Gone with the Wind

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

For Matt I choose Invisible Man (because you picked it for Aprilleigh and you could compare notes :)) and Cities of the Plain because it sounds interesting.

My list for June:

Tender Is the Night
A Study in Scarlet
Frankenstein
The Catcher in the Rye
The Moonstone

message 16: by Joana (last edited May 16, 2014 12:53PM) (new)

Joana For Caroline I pick Frankenstein (I'm currently reading it and find it quite interesting) and The Moonstone , which is also on my TBR.

Lolita
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
Slaughterhouse-Five
Chronicle of a Death Foretold
The Moonstone

message 17: by Kalyn (new)

Kalyn | 11 comments For Joana I choose The Moonstone(sounds very interesting) and Slaughterhouse-Five(great classic). Good luck and happy reading!

My list for June:
Wonder
Still Life with Bread Crumbs
Night
True Colors
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie | 632 comments For Kalyn I chose: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Night - happy reading

I would like to read from the following list:
Lolita
Crime and Punishment
This Body of Death
About a Boy
The Fault in Our Stars

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
Hey all. I just realized that I should be the one to choose the last person's books for this month. I'll be out of town then, MK, can you cover for me? Thanks

message 20: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Kathy wrote: "Hey all. I just realized that I should be the one to choose the last person's books for this month. I'll be out of town then, MK, can you cover for me? Thanks"

Just got your PM, Kathy. No worries! The last two months the same thing happened, the first person wasn't here on the last day. Happy travels :)

message 21: by Connie (new)

Connie Cote Just finished the first of my 2 collecting dust books for June. I have had it for 5 years so I'm glad I finally found an excuse to open it. It is Rhett Butler's People . It tells the story of Rhett's childhood and growing up etc. I am a big Gone with the Wind fan so it was very interesting to me to read about all the events from it from a different perspective. It was one of those books that I couldn't put down. I would highly recommend it for any GWTW fans.

message 22: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Nice! wtg, Connie!

This is the challenge I *really* need to make time for, because I'd like to read all those books I collected over the years, that I never got around to :p.

Thinking I might have to take a pass on June, too, though. But if so, last pass for me! I'm going in to the dusty stacks after that :D

message 23: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Connie wrote: "I am a big Gone with the Wind fan so it was very interesting to me to read about all the events from it from a different perspective. It was one of those books that I couldn't put down. I would highly recommend it for any GWTW fans."

After Scarlett I am very suspicious of these books... So I am interested but not sure if I want to read it.

message 24: by Connie (new)

Connie Cote Tytti wrote: "Connie wrote: "I am a big Gone with the Wind fan so it was very interesting to me to read about all the events from it from a different perspective. It was one of those books that I couldn't put do..."

This one is set during the same time period - not a sequel. I found that much of it mirrors the events of GWTW just from Rhett's perspective rather than Scarlett's. Having said that, I didn't mind Scarlett. Not great but not horrible.

message 25: by MK (last edited May 31, 2014 12:19PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments One more day to sign up for June Collecting Dust Challenge :).

Tomorrow signups for June close, and July open. To join the June challenge, pick two books for Julie, from her list of five, and post your own list of books for someone to choose from for your TBR challenge books.

message 26: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments MK wrote: "If you wish to participate then from your TBR bookshelf list 5 books that you would like to read for the month of April."

You might want to correct that...

message 27: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Tytti wrote: "You might want to correct that..."

Thanks! Fixed :)

message 28: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Jul 04, 2014 02:47PM) (new)

message 29: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lindy-Lane wrote: "my list for june:
..."

Welcome to the challenge, Lindy-Lane :)

Whoever joins next will choose two for you. And you should choose two for Julie.

message 30: by MK (last edited Jun 01, 2014 10:29AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lindy, would you like to choose for Julie? I'll be back in a bit to choose for you. :)

June Dusty Challenge is closed to new challengers. Looking forward to the reviews!

The July Dusty Challenge is now open. Signups at this link - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 31: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lindy and Julie both need books chosen.

Would anyone like to choose for one of them? I feel like I shouldn't choose for two :p

message 32: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Lindy chose for Julie already. She just edited her old message. Of course I could choose, too, but they are so not my genre... :-P

message 33: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Tytti wrote: "Lindy chose for Julie already. She just edited her old message. Of course I could choose, too, but they are so not my genre... :-P"

ahhh! ty, I didn't see she edited. ty, Tytti and ty, Lyndi!

Okay, I'll go browse your books, Lyndi :D bbiab

message 34: by MK (last edited Jun 01, 2014 03:03PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lindy-Lane wrote: "my list for june:
Until Proven Guilty by J.A. Jance
The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
The Other Woman by Jane Green
Abigail by Jill Eileen Smith
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare "

Lindy, I choose for you:

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
&/or City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Happy Reading!

Looking forward to the Percy Jackson review especially. I have had book #1 on my kindle forever! I need to read it someday ...

message 35: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I finished my first book of the CD Challenge- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

"Oz" is quite interesting... and a little disturbing! Haha. I just love that its indeed a classic book- I didn't realize it was written in 1900. And i love that one of the most popular movies of all time was based on a series of children's books.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished my first pick for June - The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. I really enjoyed this one, although it does go on a bit before we get to a conclusion. (Poirot would have solved the mystery in half the time!)
Also, the tiny printing in my copy made it a bit hard going.

message 37: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Matt wrote: "Here is my review for the second book of my June Challenge, Cities of the Plain. I wish that I hadn't read this book, because then I would always have the possibility of experiencing i..."

Love those kinds of books. Added to my list to read.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Second pick done - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

I hate to say it but I really didn't enjoy this. I actually found it fairly boring. Beautifully written, but ultimately dull.

message 39: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Caroline, I’m sorry you did not like Shelley’s Frankenstein. I found the story to be compelling and I agree it’s beautifully written. What I found most interesting was that the monster seemed to have more humanity than his creator. I liked it.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't hate it, there were parts that really grabbed me and I thought it was really well written but maybe because I was overly familiar with the story before I started I was expecting it to be something that it wasn't.

message 41: by Tytti (last edited Jun 20, 2014 09:17AM) (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments I know I have that one book to read... I just keep finding other interesting books to read...

Has any of you Frankenstein readers read The Golem? "A superbly atmospheric story set in the old Prague ghetto featuring The Golem, a kind of rabbinical Frankenstein's monster..."

message 42: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Tytti wrote: "I know I have that one book to read... I just keep finding other interesting books to read...

Has any of you Frankenstein readers read The Golem? "A superbly atmospheric story set in ..."

I haven't, but I voted for that one in the poll this month. It looks interesting :)

message 43: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments MK wrote: "I haven't, but I voted for that one in the poll this month."

Yeah, I noticed. :-P (It's funny actually, that not even the secret polls are that secret... Poor programming)

I think I have heard the name somewhere but never knew it was an actually story/legend. Maybe on my trip to Prague...

message 44: by Edīte (new)

Edīte How We Decide was withdrawn from publication by its publisher because of falsified content. So I skipped this for good, I can read another kind of fiction.
Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions some of the content overlaps with Malcolm Gladwell, it is good because I like writing of Malcolm Gladwell.
What I took away from book?
(view spoiler)

message 45: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Finished Dave At Night. I mostly enjoyed this story. Not my favorite of Levine's though. And I am unsure about certain pieces of the story. What purpose does labeling Dave as "Jewish" serve? I can see only token pieces that relate to his being Jewish -- I don't think it added anything to the story. Also the cruelty in the orphanage seems a bit over the top when Dave prefers to stay. Good beginning of a story, but not quite what I usually expect from Levine.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I just finished reading my first DOS book Into the Wild.

I gave the book 3 out of 5 stars:

"Now I walk into the wild!" Into the Wild is a more in depth look of Christopher McCandless, the young man who decided to abandon society and live off the land after graduating college in the 1990s. Originally, an article in Outdoor magazine, John Krakauer was able to write more in depth and analyze what happened to Christopher McCandless. A boy who named himself as Alexander Supertramp with a bright future ahead of him would die so tragically by human error, and by the one thing he despised in the world...starvation. I would say Into the Wild is a cautionary tale as Krakauer describes a few more wild and brave men who decided to live off the land as well. Slow, yet interesting at times, I can see how this book inspired a movie.

message 47: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I love reading these reviews. I just wanted to say, I don't comment on every review cuz I'm afraid I over comment sometimes :p

But I love the reading them!!

Come on Dusty Challengers, let's have the rest of the June reviews :D

message 48: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments I am still reading, just started it last week...

message 49: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Tytti wrote: "I am still reading, just started it last week..."

:)

message 50: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Jun 30, 2014 10:29AM) (new)

Bob | 4779 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "I just finished reading my first DOS book Into the Wild.

I gave the book 3 out of 5 stars:

"Now I walk into the wild!" Into the Wild is a more in depth look of Christopher McCandless,..."

I read this awhile back. I found Mr. Supertramp to be arrogant and ignorant. Arrogant to think he was to smart to need any advice from his family, friends, or especially the locals who knew the dangers. His ignorance comes because he acted on his arrogance. I’m not saying he deserved to die, but he’s defiantly no folk hero, just a stupid kid who did not survive a mistake.

« previous 1