Into the Forest discussion

Previous Group Read Nominations > Polls are up for the next group read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
Unicorns won by a horn!

Let's have your unicorn themed nominations for the group read.

Our categories are Adult, YA, and original tale/collection.

All books/tales must be unicorn themed and based on or inspired by fairy tales, folklore, or mythology.
After a week of nominations, we'll set up the poll for the final choices.

message 2: by Katy (last edited Feb 29, 2016 10:48AM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments I don't know if this quite fits the original collection or not, (and if not I will not be offended)

My nomination would be The Lore of the Unicorn by Odell Shepard

It is available free online at several different sites and also in book form.

And also: The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle but I don't know if it is adult or YA.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3658 comments Mod
I would consider The Last Unicorn adult (the novel, not the movie. Though I enjoy the movie just as much no as I did when a kid). It could be read by teens, but I think it was intended for adults. I remember being surprised when I read it for the first time as an adult, that it was an adult novel. However, I see it's listed on many best YA fantasy lists! Other thoughts?

message 4: by Margaret (new)

I found this list of unicorn books, if anyone needs suggestions: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
Birth of the Firebringer or The Firebringer Trilogy. Birth is the first one, but it is quite common to find the one volume edition. It is YA.

message 6: by Margaret (last edited Feb 29, 2016 05:29PM) (new)

YA: A Plague of Unicorns by Jane Yolen
Collection: The Unicorn by Lise Gotfredsen

I couldn't find an adult novel at my library. The closest I could find is The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch, but the unicorn is apparently an allegory for the main character. Should this count, or no?

Edited to add adult nom: Unicorns!

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
Margaret wrote: "YA: A Plague of Unicorns by Jane Yolen
Collection: The Unicorn by Lise Gotfredsen

I couldn't find an adult novel at my library. The c..."

There is an adult collection Unicorns!

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Chris wrote: "There is an adult collection Unicorns! "

That looks awesome! So many good writers. While my library doesn't have it, it's only a penny on Amazon, so, I'll nominate it for adult (or second your nomination).

message 9: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis Here's a YA novel that looks promising Into the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce Coville. My library has this one, so it may be easy to find. It's actually the first in a series.

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane | 5 comments I'll have to nominate Ariel

message 11: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Louwagie | 236 comments I would classify The Last Unicorn as adult as well. It's considered a "classic" of fantasy literature and was published at a time when YA wasn't a very distinct genre of its own, meaning it was most likely written for a general audience. It just happens to have YA appeal (I read it for the first time when I was 16).

I'd like to nominate Unicorn Highway for the adult read, and Zombies Vs. Unicorns,Rampant, and Phoebe and Her Unicorn for YA. For original tales I'll nominate Nancy Hathaway's The Unicorn.

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Then I'll count The Last Unicorn as my adult nomination and will nominate Black Unicorn by Tanith Lee for young adult. I've been meaning to read more by Tanith Lee.

message 13: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4438 comments Mod
For the adult novel I nominate The Wandering Unicorn by Manuel Mujica Láinez
I am aware it's out of print, so before anyone votes for it, they should check to see if it's available first.
I've had pretty good luck with interlibrary loans, so I'll take the risk.

I don't know about a YA novel yet.

For original tales I'd like to find out if there are any old legends or tales which the tapestries The Lady and the Unicorn were based on. Does anyone know?

message 14: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier is a newer book based on the tapestries. But I don't think that the experts know for sure the meaning of the tapestries -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lad...

message 15: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Jalilah wrote: "For the adult novel I nominate The Wandering Unicorn by Manuel Mujica Láinez
I am aware it's out of print, so before anyone votes for it, they should check to see if it if it's available first."

I was also going to nominate The Wandering Unicorn for Adult. I found my copy at a used bookstore years ago.

Lacey wrote: "For original tales I'll nominate Nancy Hathaway's The Unicorn."

The Unicorn is available at my library so it gets my vote for Original Tale/Collections.

As for YA, I'd like to nominate The Secret Country by Pamela Dean.

message 16: by Jalilah (new)

Kathy wrote: "The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier is a newer book based on the tapestries. But I don't think that the experts know for sure the meaning of the tapestries -- htt..."

That looks intriguing! I like more realistic historical fiction that has an underlying mythic theme. Do you think it fits?

Leah wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "For the adult novel I nominate The Wandering Unicorn by Manuel Mujica Láinez
I am aware it's out of print, so before anyone votes for it, they should ch..."

If you like, vote for The Wandering Unicorn and I'll switch my nomination to The Lady and the Unicorn!

message 17: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Jalilah wrote: "Kathy wrote: "The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier is a newer book based on the tapestries. But I don't think that the experts know for sure the meaning of the tap...That looks intriguing! I like more realistic historical fiction that has an underlying mythic theme. Do you think it fits?..."

I haven't read it so I don't know if it fits or not -- just one of those books on the edge of my radar.

message 18: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 286 comments Kathy wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "Kathy wrote: "The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier is a newer book based on the tapestries. But I don't think that the experts know for sure the me..."

I've read The Lady and the Unicorn. In my opinion, there is almost no mythic content and it's not one of Tracy Chevalier's better books.

message 19: by Wolf (new)

Wolf Ostheeren (hazelwolf) | 70 comments Dear me, you've been busy! And there are already so many books I'll have to read, regardless of our choice.

I'd like to nominate Unicorn Mountain. It's been years since I read it but I remember it as an interesting book that should be worth a discussion. And those among as doing the challenge could use it as LGTBQ. I was thinking of Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World for a moment, but I've read that several times already without developping a theory what the unicorns mean and I don't want anyone (especially me...) losing their mind discussing it.

Would Ariel be YA or Adult? If it was YA, I'd support that as I've already ordered it. But I'd also like to throw the titles of Elidor and The Little White Horse in, as those are classics.

For original/collection I must admit I'd have to do some research first. I'd love to put together some bestiary entries for us to read but I'm not sure I can do this in the coming two weeks. One thing I just found is this, which looks not too bad and would be free: http://www.sacred-texts.com/etc/lou/i...

message 20: by Jalilah (new)

Shomeret wrote: " read The Lady and the Unicorn. In my opinion, there is almost no mythic content and it's not one of Tracy Chevalier's better books.
.."

Thanks for letting us know! I've liked a lot of the books you've suggested, so I am not going to nominate The Lady and the Unicorn!

Do you know anything about The Unicorn?

message 21: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 286 comments Jalilah wrote: "Shomeret wrote: " read The Lady and the Unicorn. In my opinion, there is almost no mythic content and it's not one of Tracy Chevalier's better books.
.."

Thanks for letting us know! I've liked a ..."

I know nothing about Iris Murdoch's The Unicorn, but some reviews make it sound potentially interesting. On the other hand, I have read Unicorn Mountain. It's really intense, but I thought it was wonderful.

message 22: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Wolf wrote: "...One thing I just found is this, which looks not too bad and would be free: http://www.sacred-texts.com/etc/lou/i... ..."

That is a free version of my nomination.

message 23: by Wolf (new)

Wolf Ostheeren (hazelwolf) | 70 comments I don't remember much about the Murdoch, only that I was madly disappointed that there was so little Unicorn in it.

@Kathy: Oh, sorry. I haven't checked out all of the nominations yet, but I'm going to do so before voting!

message 24: by Wolf (new)

Wolf Ostheeren (hazelwolf) | 70 comments Has anyone read The Seventh Unicorn? Not nominating, but it looks like an interesting novel around the tapestries.

message 25: by Jalilah (new)

Kathy wrote: "Wolf wrote: "...One thing I just found is this, which looks not too bad and would be free: http://www.sacred-texts.com/etc/lou/i... ..."

That is a free version of my nomination."

Wolf wrote: "collection I must admit I'd have to do some research first. I'd love to put together some bestiary entries for us to read but I'm not sure I can do this in the coming two weeks. One thing I just found is this, which looks not too bad and would be free: http://www.sacred-texts.com/etc/lou/i...

I second this nomination for the Original Tales category!

message 26: by Leah (last edited Mar 03, 2016 05:44AM) (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Wolf wrote: "I'd like to nominate Unicorn Mountain. It's been years since I read it but I remember it as an interesting book that should be worth a discussion. And those among as doing the challenge could use it as LGTBQ."

Ooo, Unicorn Mountain sounds good!

This is one of the reasons I love group reads so much: even though only one books wins, I always get several new books I've never heard of before to add to my to-read shelf.

message 27: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Wolf wrote: "I don't remember much about the Murdoch, only that I was madly disappointed that there was so little Unicorn in it.

@Kathy: Oh, sorry. I haven't checked out all of the nominations yet, but I'm go..."

No sorry, I am excited that you picked the same book as me!

message 28: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments This group has the most fun nominating books in all of my groups! And always add to my TBR list.

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 901 comments ooo -- unicorns! I like unicorns, I've even published a story about one. . . .

But for nominations, I second The Last Unicorn for adult; a classic of the fantasy genre.

And Stardust by Neil Gaiman for YA.

message 30: by Mary (new)

message 31: by Melanti (new)

Lacey wrote: " Zombies Vs. Unicorns,Rampant, and Phoebe and Her Unicorn for YA. ..."

Could you narrow that down to one nomination, pretty please?

Wolf wrote: "Would Ariel be YA or Adult? If it was YA, I'd support that as I've already ordered it. But I'd also like to throw the titles of Elidor and The Little White Horse in, as those are classics..."

I think Ariel is adult. Did you want to nominate Elidor or The Little White Horse?

message 32: by Melanti (last edited Mar 04, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Kathy wrote: "This group has the most fun nominating books in all of my groups! And always add to my TBR list."

I agree! Nominations are always fun.

Okay, here's what we have so far.

Original tale/collection:
The Lore of the Unicorn by Odell Shepard
The Unicorn by Lise Gotfredsen
The Unicorn by Nancy Hathaway

YA:
Birth of the Firebringer by Meredith Ann Pierce
A Plague of Unicorns by Jane Yolen
Into the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce Coville
Black Unicorn by Tanith Lee
The Secret Country by Pamela Dean
Elidor bu Alan Garner

Adult:
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
Unicorns! by Jack Dann
Ariel by Steven R. Boyett
Unicorn Highway by David Lee Jones
The Wandering Unicorn by Manuel Mujica Láinez
Unicorn Mountain by Michael Bishop
Stardust by Neil Gaiman

As always, let me know if I somehow skipped someone's nominations!

message 33: by Jalilah (new)

That looks correct for me, except for those books where it's not clear if they were nominations or not;

Zombies Vs. Unicorns
Phoebe and Her Unicorn
Elidor
The Little White Horse

Yes, please everyone, nominate no more than one book for each category, otherwise we have too many books.

message 34: by Margaret (new)

I consider Stardust by Gaiman adult.

Looks like a great list!

message 35: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 852 comments Margaret wrote: "I consider Stardust by Gaiman adult.

Looks like a great list!"

Yes, I agree.

message 36: by Jalilah (new)

Margaret wrote: "I consider Stardust by Gaiman adult.

Looks like a great list!"

While I don't remember reading anything in Stardust that might not be suitable for a young adult, I agree the style and pacing are more like an adult novel.

message 37: by Melanti (new)

I went ahead and moved Stardust over to the adult side of things and when Lacey and Wolf narrow down their YA nominations, we'll be more or less even in choices.

message 38: by Wolf (new)

Wolf Ostheeren (hazelwolf) | 70 comments Unicorns are not that important in Stardust, are they? I can remember only one scene... And are there any in The Wandering Unicorn? (Not that I really mind; I love Stardust and can read it any time for any reason and Melusine is just as intriguing as unicorns)

Sorry for the double nomination, it was not really meant that way. I really thought Ariel was YA and just name the other two for everyone's growing tbr. Now that I think about it again, I'd really like to reread Elidor though and discuss it with people, so I will nominate that, after all, if still possible.

Great list! I'm enjoying this so much! I'm really glad I found my way here.

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan Chapek | 217 comments I know almost nothing unicorns, nothing about any of these books (except the Beagle, which I read long ago and have forgotten), and many of the authors are new to me, too--so I'm excited.

But I may leave the voting to those of you who know more and already have some preferences.

message 40: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 901 comments Hmmm. I'm going to start a thread elsewhere about unicorns in fantasy. . . .

message 41: by Jalilah (last edited Mar 05, 2016 05:28PM) (new)

Melanti wrote: "Lacey wrote: " Zombies Vs. Unicorns,Rampant, and Phoebe and Her Unicorn for YA. ..."
Could you narrow that down to one nomination, pretty please?
Wolf wrote: "Would Ariel be YA or Adult? If it w..."

I think for YA I'll nominate The Little White Horse. We currently have one less book in YA and it looks like it might be good.

message 42: by Jalilah (new)

Before I put up the polls, can anyone please suggest any other original fairy tales featuring Unicorns?
Thanks in advance!

message 43: by Melanti (new)

Okay, we're getting down to the wire, so I picked one of Lacey's nominations for her... I don't like Zombies much and the pink cover makes my eyes hurt, so I'm choosing Rampant to add to the polls.

I went ahead and threw on the Grimms tale to the original tale/collection list too - just in case.

message 44: by Margaret (new)

I found a folktale that could count as an original tale--The Fair Maid and the Snow White Unicorn, a Scottish folktale. Can be read here: http://www.allaboutunicorns.com/legen...

message 45: by Melanti (new)

Okay, barring any last minute additions, the polls are up!

message 46: by Wolf (new)

Wolf Ostheeren (hazelwolf) | 70 comments Umm... Where? :)

message 47: by Melanti (new)

Ah, sorry!
The link to the poll is in the upper right hand side of the desktop version of the site, but it isn't there on the app. Not sure about hte mobile version...

Here's some direct links:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 48: by Wolf (new)

Wolf Ostheeren (hazelwolf) | 70 comments Thank you!

message 49: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Louwagie | 236 comments Melanti wrote: "Lacey wrote: " Zombies Vs. Unicorns,Rampant, and Phoebe and Her Unicorn for YA. ..."

Could you narrow that down to one nomination, pretty please?"

Sure, I'll narrow down to Phoebe and Her Unicorn. I think it's more "middle-grade" than YA, but it's a quick read and we haven't done a graphic novel.

message 50: by Jalilah (new)

Lacey wrote: "Melanti wrote: "Lacey wrote: " Zombies Vs. Unicorns,Rampant, and Phoebe and Her Unicorn for YA. ..."

Could you narrow that down to one nomination, pretty please?"

Sure, I'll narrow down to Phoebe..."

Sorry Lacey, the polls are up already! Hope you don't mind!

« previous 1