Start by marking “The Lady and the Unicorn” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  38,219 ratings  ·  1,798 reviews
A tour de force of history and imagination, The Lady and the Unicorn is Tracy Chevalier’s answer to the mystery behind one of the art world’s great masterpieces—a set of bewitching medieval tapestries that hangs today in the Cluny Museum in Paris. They appear to portray the seduction of a unicorn, but the story behind their making is unknown—until now.

Paris, 1490.  A shrew
Published December 1st 2004 by Penguin Books (first published 2003)

·  38,219 ratings  ·  1,798 reviews

CatarinaG
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Laura Ana T.
Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful!
I found Lady and the Unicorn even better than Girl with a Pearl Earring. I felt utterly transported to the middle ages and immersed in a very good tale, immaculately told.
As she did with The Girl With the Pearl Earring, Tracy Chevalier takes a classic work of art and artfully spins a tale inspired by the original which becomes an original itself.
It was specially fascinating living among the Brussels weavers and coming to understand the magnitude of their task. One
Julie
In the same vein as her book Girl with a Pearl Earring, The Lady and the Unicorn is a fictional account of the story surrounding the creation of the famed Lady and the Unicorn Tapestries, now housed at the Musee national du Moyen-Age (Musee Cluny) in Paris. This topic was particularly intriguing to me, since I'd seen the tapestries in person back in 2001.

While the book provides a really interesting up-close look at the design and weaving processes, I could have done with out the rest of the stor
Stavroula P.
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Από τα καλύτερα βιβλία που διάβασα το τελευταίο διάστημα!! Το ξεκίνησα εχθές με μία επιφύλαξη αλλά σήμερα που το συνέχισα διαψεύσθηκα. Η Chevalier ξεδιπλώνει μια ιστορία , με τα ελάχιστα στοιχεία που είναι γνωστά από ιστορικής άποψης, με αριστοτεχνικό τρόπο. Οι ήρωες, τα γεγονότα, όλα μπλέκονται μεταξύ τους με τέτοιον τρόπο ώστε μοιάζουν με ενιαίο σύνολο που πράγματι κάποτε συνέβη και δεν φαίνεται να αποτελούν αποκύημα της φαντασίας της συγγραφέως. Οι σελίδες κυλούν πολύ εύκολα και ενώ από την μ ...more
Morticia Adams
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
I hope someone has pointed out to Tracy Chevalier that if you are going to have seven different narrators for your story, you really need to give each of them a distinctive voice. This is a major failing of this novel, which I found plodding and flat, and lacking in any genuine exploration of character or motivation. The harsh working lives of the weavers are described in some detail but the description doesn't connect with the characters. And also, if you are going to use the first person in a ...more
katherine brown
Jul 24, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who want to waste their time on a terrible book
What I learned from this book is I should never ever read anything by this author ever again. A friend of mine was enthralled by The Virgin Blue and requested I read it. Although I hated it I thought I'd possibly give The Lady and the Unicorn a chance since I love art history. Sadly, I cannot say I liked a single thing about this book. I hated the plot, story, characters and writing style. Hated.
Janice
Jul 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: schlock
If I ever read the word maidenhead again in a novel, I will vomit from the flashback of reading this book.
Chrissie
I am impressed. I never thought this book would be as lovely as Girl with a Pearl Earring: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...! First let me just explain that this is a book of historical fiction. In the Museé National du Moyen-Age we can today see the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries. They are six tapestries, each representing one of our five senses:
sight, sound, smell, touch, taste and the sixth, that one is known as Á Mon Seul Désir, for these words are found woven there. In English the
Helvry Sinaga
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sekumpulan permadani ditemukan pada tahun 1841 oleh Prosper Mérimée, seorang dramawan, sejarawan, dan arkeolog Prancis bersama dengan temannya, George Sand. Mereka menemukannya ketika menginap di Château de Boussac Prancis tengah. Ternyata permadani itu bukan sembarang permadani, itu adalah permadani dari abad pertengahan yang akhirnya membawa kontribusi besar pada sejarah abad pertengahan Prancis.

Siapa sebenarnya perancang atau pembuat permadani ini sebenarnya tidak diketahui. Tracy Chevalier '
Ena Hasečić
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Prvo, ali ne i zadnje druženje sa Tracy :)
Lizzy
Was hoping to enjoy The Lady and the Unicorn after reading Burning Bright a few years earlier, which is, to be honest, far superior to this. After the action moves away from the Le Viste family, it kind of goes downhill from there. Nicholas is thoroughly unlikeable as a character (whether this was meant to be deliberate or not, I couldn't tell). The only interesting person was Genevieve de Nanterre. Also, what's the deal with Chevalier missing out on the chance to use Jean Le Viste's narrative v ...more
H.A. Leuschel
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've always wondered about the intricate process of creating a tapestry and in this book I felt like the author had taken me by the hand and patiently brought the creation of six tapestries to life for me, drawing me into the world of fifteen's century Paris and Brussels. Artists, cartoonists, dyers, weavers, seamstresses and financiers were all involved in the creation, months of preparations and planning were followed by months of weaving. In among this interesting setting, we're introduced to ...more
Pequete
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
3.5 stars. I really liked the description of the weaving process of the Flemish tapestries, starting with the drawings, the daily lives of artisans and nobles, and to imagine life in Brussels at that time. I kept this book so I could read it while visiting the city and it was great to visit some of the places described in it. This being said, I would have liked the book to have more historical information and less romance, which at times even seemed a bit cheesy...
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: CatarinaG
The story of The Lady and the Unicorn is quite interesting: according to the author they were rediscovered by Prosper Merimee in 1841 and he found them in poor condition. Georges Sand became their champion, writing about them in articles, novels and her journal. In 1992 the French government bought the tapestries for the Musee de Cluny in Paris - where they still hang, restored and in a specially appointed room.
I didn't enjoy this book as much as The Girl with a Pearl Earring. And certainly Chri
Blodeuedd Finland
Everyone was kind of an idiot in this one.

We have the stuck up nobleman who thinks he is all that.
We have the artist who thinks he is god's gift to women. Ugh, what an ass. I wanted to slap him.
The nobleman's stupid daughter, God, what an idiot.

Then we moved on to Brussels to see the tapestry being made. Ok, that family was better. The daughter was better, but still, oh girl.

I think the only sane person was the maid for the rich family. Sure she made mistakes too, but, I understood her.

But the b
Sarah B.
Mar 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: given-away
Sotiris Karaiskos
In this book the writer returns to the very successful recipe of Girl with a Pearl Earring and writes a fantastic story about the creation of a well-known artwork. The execution of the recipe is quite different, as many different situations are woven in the story and the narrative is from different angles, but the result is just as positive, although I certainly prefer the first. The book is distinguished for the same virtues, with the author showing us in a very nice way the life at that era an ...more
NocturnalBlaze
Leggendo La dama e l'unicorno mi sono trovata di fronte a una narrazione piacevole, che riesce a coniugare bene la descrizione di un interessante periodo storico (la fine del 1400 in varie zone d'Europa) con un altrettanto curioso elemento artistico, creando un connubio che è probabilmente ciò che questa autrice riesce a presentare al meglio.
L'aspetto che ho più apprezzato all'interno del romanzo è sicuramente l'attenzione che ho percepito nel delineare il contesto in cui la vicenda si svolge,
Ceilidh
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Incredibly clunky and just flat-out dull. If you've read Girl With a Pearl Earring you can pretty much track where this story's going to go. It's very predictable and the sexual subplots were laughable in places. Sorry, Ms Chevalier, but this was just not worth my time, even for the really lovely scenes describing the tapestries (and those tapestries are amazing. Seriously, google them).
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, art, france
Surprisingly not having very much at all to do with unicorns, this novel is a very well-written interpretation and fictional explanation for the famous tapestry of a lady and a unicorn in France.
Pamela
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here is another cleverly written historical novel about a great piece of art by the author of Girl With a Pearl Earring. This time it's the making of the famous Lady and the Unicorn tapestries. Not much is known about them in reality. They appear to have been made sometime at the end of the 15th century in Flanders and are thought to have been commissioned by a member of the La Viste family. There are six in all and they tell a story of taming the unicorn by a series of noblewomen. They also rep ...more
Kelsey
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Tracy Chevalier
New York: Penguin, 2004
250 pp. $23.95
0-525-94767-1
“The Lady and the Unicorn,” written by Tracy Chevalier, is a historical fiction novel about medieval French tapestries which depict a woman seducing a unicorn. Although not much is known about the tapestries, Tracy Chevalier has written an excellent love story based on the few known facts. Jean Le Viste, a French nobleman, commissions a Parisian painter, Nicolas des Innocents, to create a set of six tapestri
Mia Prasetya
Ini yang disebut dengan a great historical romance novel!

Buku dengan latar belakang Perancis tahun 1490 bercerita tentang Nicholas yang ditugaskan bangsawan kaya untuk membuat permadani demi merayakan kenaikan pangkatnya. Tidak hanya itu novel ini juga menceritakan sepak terjang pelukis berbakat namun genitnya yang tidak ketulungan dengan berbagai wanita yang ia temui. Mulai dari anak bangsawan yang menyewanya sampai anak gadis tukang tenun permadani.

Uniknya, Lady dan Unicorn diceritakan dari su
Zorana Mitrović
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Роман спада у жанр драма/љубавни, међутим, сви они који очекују неку срцепарајућу љубавну причу - разочараће се.
Трејси Шевалије није писац љубавних романа, она је неко ко се заинтересује одређеним уметничким делом, занатом, историјском личношћу или догађајем, затим се посвети њеном проучавању, детаљном истраживању и прикупљању информација и на основу тога исплете љубавну/породичну причу како би читаоцима на најбољи могући начин представила предмет своје фасцинације.

За разлику од великог броја
Jackie
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jean Le Viste commissions painter Nicholas des Innocents to design six tapestries that will be hung in a grand hall within his magnificent Paris home. Jean is a conniving, deviously ambitious nobleman with a depressed wife and three daughters. The oldest daughter, Claude is beautiful and falls head over heals for Nicholas. Of course, this love is not meant to be, as Claude is nobility and Nicholas is just a mere painter, not to mention a womanizer and scoundrel, yet he is deliciously appealing. ...more
Emma
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book reminded me of why I typically try to have as few preconceptions about novels as possible -- I avoid the summaries on the inside flap/back cover, rarely read reviews past the first few lines, and never examine cover art too closely. Otherwise, I start forming expectations of plot lines, style, and tone for the book, and usually end up (perhaps unfairly) disappointed when the book doesn't measure up.

All that to say, I've seen the tapestries on which this book is based, and I was really
Yana
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
A set of medievel tapestries hang today in a chamber in Paris,portaying a women's seduction of a unicorn. The story behind the tapestry is unknown, but Tracy Chevalier weaves fact and fiction to help us unfold the story with her book,"The Lady and the Unicorn".
The story takes place in 1490, Paris about a French nobleman who commisions six tapestries to be made, celebrating his rising status in court. He hires Nicolas des Innocents to design them, but Nicolas adds his own twist to the work and
Jean Marie
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes it's those little books that you find on the discount shelf for $2 that are the best. I really didn't know what I was getting myself into with this book, I had never heard of these tapestries before I read the book.
The books mixes the fiction and the history incredibly well so well that I found myself looking up the names to see if they were purely fiction or had actually lived. The main character, aside from the tapestries themselves, Nicolas de Innocents is the painter of the origin
Mónica Cordero Thomson
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excepcional novela que conjuga tapices, amor e historia. Es incríble la capacidad que tiene esta autora de presentar personajes tan diversos (con personalidades y ambiciones diferentes, muchas veces marcados por su estracto social) y enlazarlos en una sola historia.
Lo que más me gustó sin duda, es el estudio previó que hizo la autora de todo el proceso que conllevaba un tapiz, y también la iconografía de los símbolos, que además plasmó de una manera muy natural en la novela.
Altamente recomendabl
Miriam Cihodariu
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: usa, france, belgium
You can tell from the first few pages that the author really did her homework on the history of tapestries. Everything is very well-documented, from how exactly a tapestry was made to the usual way a Belgian workshop was organized and run. (The best medieval workshops for tapestries were in Belgium).

It's lovely that Tracy Chevalier thought of a way to explain the famous unicorn tapestries in Cluny and how they came to be. Her knowledge of the art world in Paris and how everything was commissione
Michele
Jun 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Oh! What a Tale She Weaves

This is my favorite kind of book. One to pick up, savor each word and never want to put down. Chevalier has a rich imagination, basing this historical fiction on an existing series of fine tapestries with questionable (undocumented) history, and telling the story through (nearly) all involved in their creation.

We begin with the painter, Nicolas des Innocents, who conceptualizes the stories and major symbolisms of the work. A womanizer, he's brash and vain, yet his charm
Play Book Tag: The Lady and the Unicorn / Tracy Chevalier. 3.5 stars 1 10 Aug 25, 2017 07:56PM
favorite parnormal book and why 6 76 Sep 17, 2014 01:16PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Lady and the Unicorn 1 6 Jun 09, 2013 12:36PM
Art Club: MONTHLY BOOK READ & DISCUSSION: October 2011 :) 18 48 Dec 06, 2011 06:27AM
  • In the Company of the Courtesan
  • I, Mona Lisa
  • The Illuminator (Illuminator, #1)
  • The Passion of Artemisia
  • Sunflowers
  • The Ruby Ring
  • Portrait of an Unknown Woman
  • Holy Fools
  • The Last Great Dance on Earth (Josephine Bonaparte, #3)
  • I Am Madame X
  • The Witch of Cologne
Born:
19 October 1962 in Washington, DC. Youngest of 3 children. Father was a photographer for The Washington Post.

Childhood:
Nerdy. Spent a lot of time lying on my bed reading. Favorite authors back then: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madeleine L’Engle, Zilpha Keatley Snyder, Joan Aiken, Susan Cooper, Lloyd Alexander. Book I would have taken to a desert island: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.

Educa
“I didn't move. I've learned from years of experience that dogs and falcons and ladies come back to you if you stay where you are.” 10 likes
“Warp threads are thicker than the weft, and made of a coarser wool as well. I think of them as like wives. Their work is not obvious - all you can see are the ridges they make under the colorful weft threads. But if they weren't there, there would be no tapestry. Georges would unravel without me.” 4 likes