The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 505 (505 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (last edited Mar 22, 2016 02:10AM) (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments

Team Hello Kitty

Team Members:

Autumn (captain)
Pigletto (Lori) (co-captain)
Lisa
Rachel
Dima
Veronica
Savannah
PNJ Dreams (Janet)
Ashley
Treavor
Snowtulip

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

Perks Moderator | 472 comments reserved

message 3: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

message 4: by Perks Moderator, Know-it-all (new)

message 5: by Dima (new)

Dima | 434 comments WOOHOO! A new team.... Hello everyone!

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) Hello!

message 7: by Autumn {Seasoned Reader} (last edited Feb 28, 2016 04:26AM) (new)

Autumn {Seasoned Reader} (seasonedreader) | 27 comments Hi guys!! Really looking forward to getting to know everyone and reading some good books! Xx

message 8: by Dima (new)

Dima | 434 comments I started reading last night Four Blind Mice for our 4 card

message 9: by Veronica (last edited Feb 28, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Veronica (veraj121) My name is Veronica, I live in Queens, NY, and work for a major utility company in NYC as administrator for their Occupational Health Dept. I am a wife and mother of two ladies ( 22 & 16). I am an avid reader. This is my first time participating in Uno. I look forward to meeting and reading with everyone.

I will a read book for the SKIP card. The book is Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter. Could use the title for P or the first name for K. I will start this book March 1st as suggested.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Dima wrote: "I started reading last night Four Blind Mice for our 4 card"

You can only count books started after the challenge begins.

message 12: by Dima (new)

Dima | 434 comments Pigletto wrote: "Dima wrote: "I started reading last night Four Blind Mice for our 4 card"

You can only count books started after the challenge begins."

I just started it when I saw the team spreadsheet and saw that the first one is number 4. and I only read two pages of it anyway.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

◈◈◈Perks UNO cards◈◈◈
O (Zero)
Read a book that:
- has a 0 or Zero in the title
- has a title starting with Z
- has an author first name or surname starts with Z
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with Z
- is set in a place name starting with Z
- is a "stand-alone" book (i.e. not part of a series)

1 (One)
Read a book that:
- has a 1 or One in the title
- has a title starting with O
- has an author first name or surname starts with O
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with O
- is set in a place name starting with O
- is book 1 in a series

2 (Two)
Read a book that:
- has a 2 or Two in the title
- has a title starting with T
- has an author first name or surname starts with T
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with T
- is set in a place name starting with T
- is book 2 in a series

3 (Three)
Read a book that:
- has a 3 or Three in the title
- has a title starting with H
- has an author first name or surname starts with H
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with H
- is set in a place name starting with H
- is book 3 in a series

4 (Four)
Read a book that:
- has a 4 or Four in the title
- has a title starting with F
- has an author first name or surname starts with F
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with F
- is set in a place name starting with F
- is book 4 in a series

5 (Five)
Read a book that:
- has a 5 or Five in the title
- has a title starting with I
- has an author first name or surname starts with I
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with I
- is set in a place name starting with I
- is book 5 in a series

6 (Six)
Read a book that:
- has a 6 or Six in the title
- has a title starting with S
- has an author first name or surname starts with S
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S
- is set in a place name starting with S
- is book 6 in a series

7 (Seven)
Read a book that:
- has a 7 or Seven in the title
- has a title starting with V
- has an author first name or surname starts with V
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with V
- is set in a place name starting with V
- is book 7 in a series

8 (Eight)
Read a book that:
- has an 8 or Eight in the title
- has a title starting with E
- has an author first name or surname starts with E
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with E
- is set in a place name starting with E
- is book 8 in a series

9 (Nine)
Read a book that:
- has a 9 or Nine in the title
- has a title starting with N
- has an author first name or surname starts with N
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with N
- is set in a place name starting with N
- is book 9 in a series

Skip
Read a book that:
- has a title starting with K or P
- has an author first name or surname starts with K or P
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with K or P
- is set in a place name starting with K or P
OR you can choose to "skip" reading a book for this cards (and get no points for this card)

Draw 2
Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)

Reverse
One member of your team must read a book another team member has already read

Wild
Read a book that can fit any of the requirements for cards 0-9

Wild draw four
Read any book!

◈◈◈Points◈◈◈
For each book read to match a 0-9 card, the team gets 20 points
For each book read to match a Skip or Reverse, the team gets 25 points
For each book read to match a wild or Wild draw four card the team gets 30 points
For each hand completed, the team gets a bonus 15 points

IMPORTANT
-Books must be more than 100 pages in length and Children's books and Graphic Novels can not be used unless by word count they can be verified as more than 25,000 words using arbookfind.com

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Dima wrote: "Pigletto wrote: "Dima wrote: "I started reading last night Four Blind Mice for our 4 card"

You can only count books started after the challenge begins."
I just started it when I saw t..."

Cool. I just didn't want you to read something and then it not count.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Hello everyone, I have never played this game before and I am still a bit confused. We are on hand 1 correct? and what are our cards? I am not sure what book to read. Any suggestions on better understanding this would be great. Hope I don't slow us down.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Has anyone on our team read Assuming Names by Tonya Thompson?

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) Hey Lisa,

Click the team spreadsheet located under the listed names. This is where you will find the cards forc each hand. Right now we are on hand one. You can pick your card to correspond to the book you want to read for that hand. Right now it looks like cards 4 & Skip was selected.

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) I hope the explanation makes sense

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Veronica wrote: "Hey Lisa,

Click the team spreadsheet located under the listed names. This is where you will find the cards forc each hand. Right now we are on hand one. You can pick your card to correspond to the..."

Thank you. I was interested in the Reverse card. I just sen a message to see if anyone has read "Assuming Names" by Tonya Thompson. If so I wanted to choose that book. I have not read it yet

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Veronica wrote: "I hope the explanation makes sense"

Thank you it does, how do you choose what books to read. I see 4 and skip are taken per your previous message. If I want to take the Wild Card do I have to have permission? for Instance if I want to choose the wild card and I want to read "Glass Sword" by Victoria Aveyard because it fits into #7 do I have to clear it with anyone? Or just say I am reading it? or If I want to use the Reverse Card and need to know if someone in our group has read "Assuming Names" by Tonya Thompson, what is the best way to find out if someone has read it? How do we log who is playing what card? Sorry for all of the questions.

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) So far we haven't asked for permission. First come first serve? I know we just stated which one we wanted to do. If there is any special order or format, we haven't been told as of yet

Autumn {Seasoned Reader} (seasonedreader) | 27 comments Hi guys!

So I'm team captain, and literally have no idea how to play this. I will certainly take any help I can get and hopefully we do great! And if anyone has done it before and wants to step in as captain, please do let me know, otherwise, let's get this party started!!

xx
Autumn

Autumn {Seasoned Reader} (seasonedreader) | 27 comments Veronica wrote: "My name is Veronica, I live in Queens, NY, and work for a major utility company in NYC as administrator for their Occupational Health Dept. I am a wife and mother of two ladies ( 22 & 16). I am an ..."

That's perfect Veronica! I've put it in the spreadsheet...

message 25: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) Autumn wrote: "Hi guys!

So I'm team captain, and literally have no idea how to play this. I will certainly take any help I can get and hopefully we do great! And if anyone has done it before and wants to step i..."

Hello,

This is my first time also. But I don't mind trying to figure this out with you

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Ps and from the looks of things (not that I am stalking other teams....... or am I? ) we are way behind other teams.... lets get things as organized as possible Good luck Kitties!

Autumn {Seasoned Reader} (seasonedreader) | 27 comments Thanks Veronica! :)

So let's get down to business everyone! I've got Veronica down for the SKIP card, what is everyone else doing? I'll make my selection based on what's left...

Autumn {Seasoned Reader} (seasonedreader) | 27 comments Lisa wrote: "Ps and from the looks of things (not that I am stalking other teams....... or am I? ) we are way behind other teams.... lets get things as organized as possible Good luck Kitties!"

Oopsie, do you know when this thing started Lisa? I just was able to get things sorted and thought it was starting on March 1st. Clearly, I'm a little disorganised, sorry ladies!

message 29: by Lisa (last edited Feb 29, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Autumn wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Ps and from the looks of things (not that I am stalking other teams....... or am I? ) we are way behind other teams.... lets get things as organized as possible Good luck Kitties!"

Oo..."

No you are right it says the game starts March 1st but if you go back to the team threads you can see lots of teams chatting and planning. That is all I meant. I just found out I was on a team as most of us probably have sorry :)

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Autumn wrote: "Thanks Veronica! :)

So let's get down to business everyone! I've got Veronica down for the SKIP card, what is everyone else doing? I'll make my selection based on what's left..."

I can do one of two things so far. I can either do the wild card to read "Glass Sword" by Victoria Aveyard because it fits with #7 or the Reverse if anyone has read "Assuming Names" by Tonya Thompson I would like to read that one as well. Also if someone can guide me on posting my to read list for the game that would be great help

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

This is my 1st time playing too.

Ok, so we have a maximum of 13 hands to complete in March. The more hands/cards we complete the more points we get (which is the point of the game). We can complete the cards in any order but we need to be careful about ensuring that we do complete hands as we would need to complete hand 1 before we would earn points for hand 2 and so on.

I've taken a look at a few threads for other teams for this year and last year. The popular way of doing this is that everyone pretty much reads what they want to (either randomly or with a specific card in mind) and when they've finished a book they post here with what cards it fits. The captain then puts them in the spreadsheet in the best slot - harder options or slots to ensure we finish a hand. The good news is that books aren't locked in until the end of the month so we can move them around the slots to ensure we get the most points.

The scoring system is similar to some of the challenges I've played in Nothing But Reading Challenges. You can pretty much read what you want with some targeted reading around the harder options.

Another tip seems to be to leave filling in the easier options (Wild and Wild Draw 4) until last as it's easy to find books for these. So, if Lisa reads Glass Sword it would be better to use it for a later hand as we have several 7 cards rather than use it for a wild card in the 1st hand.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Autumn wrote: "Hi guys!

So I'm team captain, and literally have no idea how to play this. I will certainly take any help I can get and hopefully we do great! And if anyone has done it before and wants to step i..."

I'll ask to be co-captain. Most other teams have one and there does seem to be quite a bit of work re keeping track and completing the spreadsheet.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

My first book will be: Bird Box by Josh Malerman

Fits:

0 - stand alone
1 - character Olympia
2 - character Tom
4 - character Felix
6 - character Shannon

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "Has anyone on our team read Assuming Names by Tonya Thompson?"

I haven't read that one. You could read it for card 2 - author's name begins with T.

Autumn {Seasoned Reader} (seasonedreader) | 27 comments Pigletto, that would be great, thank you! I've got the spreadsheet up and running, just waiting to fill it in with everyone's selections. So far, we've got Veronica with SKIP and Lisa with either a WILD or REVERSE. Anybody want to help her decide?

Autumn {Seasoned Reader} (seasonedreader) | 27 comments Lisa wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Ps and from the looks of things (not that I am stalking other teams....... or am I? ) we are way behind other teams.... lets get things as organized as possible Good luc..."

No worries Lisa, I think a lot of us are in the same boat in terms of getting ourselves here only recently. :)

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Pigletto wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Has anyone on our team read Assuming Names by Tonya Thompson?"

I haven't read that one. You could read it for card 2 - author's name begins with T."

so we don't have to complete hand one before moving on to hand two? I only ask because I don't see a 2 in hand one.

message 38: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 3173 comments Pigletto wrote: "I'll ask to be co-captain. Most other teams have one and there does seem to be quite a bit of work re keeping track and completing the spreadsheet. ..."

Sold! Thanks Lori. I'll send you a request from the mod account so you can join the captains group

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "Pigletto wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Has anyone on our team read Assuming Names by Tonya Thompson?"

I haven't read that one. You could read it for card 2 - author's name begins with T."

so we don't have..."

We can start on the 2nd hand.

message 40: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Williams | 19 comments Hi! New to this!!

message 41: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) Question..shouldn't we try to finish one hand at a time so we can ensure we get the points?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Veronica wrote: "Question..shouldn't we try to finish one hand at a time so we can ensure we get the points?"

The issue with this is that people read different amounts and at different speeds.

message 43: by Lisa (last edited Mar 01, 2016 06:34AM) (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Let me go through my library again and see if I can find anything that fits in hand one. If not I will start the two books I mentioned and just to be clear. Skip is taken on hand one, I thought someone also mentioned taking 4? Can someone confirm? Then piglettos book will work with 0,1,2,4,6. So that leaves (for hand one) 3, Wild, and Reverse. IS that true guys?

message 44: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Williams | 19 comments Im reading Cinder right now. After work Ill look through and come up with a list of what ill read this month. i usually read between 8 and 12 books a month. maybe we should all make a list of books we hope tonread and their cards they can match? so we know whose doing what and what is done. or is their a spread sheet somewhere like that?

message 45: by Lisa (last edited Mar 01, 2016 07:03AM) (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Savannah wrote: "Im reading Cinder right now. After work Ill look through and come up with a list of what ill read this month. i usually read between 8 and 12 books a month. maybe we should all make a list of books..."

Savannah did you start Cinder for the challenge or were you already reading it? I ask because I have read that book and if you are just starting it today for the challenge you can be the reverse card since I have read it. spread sheet is at the top of the thread. Captain and co captain are filling it in as books are completed.

Autumn {Seasoned Reader} (seasonedreader) | 27 comments Ok, so can each of you write just what card you are reading for and the book you chose and I'll start filling in so you can take a look at the spreadsheet. Thanks!

message 47: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Williams | 19 comments Started it this morning! So yeah reverse card is cool. and Okay I see the top spreadsheet now.

message 48: by Lisa (last edited Mar 01, 2016 07:23AM) (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Autumn wrote: "Ok, so can each of you write just what card you are reading for and the book you chose and I'll start filling in so you can take a look at the spreadsheet. Thanks!"

If no one has taken the wild card I will read Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard. starting it now. Or if someone else needs it I can do card 3. and read "Her Last Tomorrow" Just let me know.

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (skottiesgerl) | 94 comments Savannah wrote: "Started it this morning! So yeah reverse card is cool. and Okay I see the top spreadsheet now."

Yaay. reply to Autumns thread asking what card you are reading and mention that I have read it and you are using the reverse card

message 50: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) Pigletto wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Question..shouldn't we try to finish one hand at a time so we can ensure we get the points?"

The issue with this is that people read different amounts and at different speeds."

But should we skip hands? We have to make sure one is complete before we get credit for the other. we can skip to the second hand before reading anything in the first hand?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11