2017 Reading Challenge discussion

By author born same year as you > Description and Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne (librarianguish) | 636 comments Mod
This folder is for a book by an author born the same year as you.

One way to find them is to Google authors born in ---- (the year you were born).

You may have to sort through a list of famous people to find one. Lots of famous people have written books, but they may not show up in a list of authors.

Also, it just occurred to me that some of the younger members of the group may not have a lot of authors to choose from. Hmmm... we'll all try very hard to help you find somebody, or come up with an alternative if it's just impossible.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 280 comments For 1963 I was thinking of either using either Michael Chabon or Laurell K. Hamilton. Possible Shiver of Light.

I used this site to go through to find authors I liked. It is a quote site, but it got me started for finding authors.

http://izquotes.com/authors/search/bo...

message 4: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 118 comments So far I've found two possible reads for this category Soundless & Gods Behaving Badly

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 229 comments I had a really hard time finding any authors born in 1978! If anyone can help with this, I am up for suggestions. Right now I have selected either "Jennifer's Body" by Audrey Nixon, Diablo Cody(Born 1978) or "Algoma" by Dani Couture.

message 6: by Amy Beth (last edited Dec 30, 2015 07:14PM) (new)

Amy Beth | 41 comments Here's a link to the page I used to find authors born in 1969. It's still set for 1969, but you can move forward or backward. You can click on the authors' names for more information.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/yea...

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 229 comments Amy Beth wrote: "Here's a link to the page I used to find authors born in 1969. It's still set for 1969 but you can move forward or backward. You can click on the authors names for more information.
http://www.fant..."

Great thank you Amy Beth! I think I am going to go with "Feed" by Mira Grant.

message 8: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) I'm going to have a hard time with this category, since I was born in 1993. I don't think there are many 22year-old authors out there. Since I'm aiming for tier 1 (even though I'll probably end up filling more categories), this could be a category that I'll skip.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Amy Beth wrote: "Here's a link to the page I used to find authors born in 1969. It's still set for 1969, but you can move forward or backward. You can click on the authors' names for more information.
http://www.fa..."

That is an excellent site! I've just discovered the Deborah Harkness was born in 1965, and I'm wanting to read her nonfiction book, The Jewel House Elizabethan London and the Scientific Revolution by Deborah Harkness . It will work perfectly for this category!

message 10: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) Amy Beth is a true life saver! Not only I managed to find a YA author born in the same year as me, she is Australian and her book trilogy, Halo, can be used in both categories I was struggling with!

message 11: by Amy Beth (new)

Amy Beth | 41 comments I'm so happy that site is proving helpful!

message 12: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie (amsjob) I found one book on my shelve by an author born the same year as me - 1959 - so it has to be this one - Tusen olevda liv finns inom mig by Tomas Sjödin

message 13: by Madison (new)

Madison | 7 comments Does anyone else have suggestions on how to find an author by the year they were born? I tried the two suggested websites and didn't really find anything. I've also done my own search and not found any good books. My birth year is 1994 so the age will be about 21. Still pretty young so that's probably why I'm having trouble!

message 14: by Margo (new)

Margo  (dandylines) I initially misread this category ! I thought it was book published in the year I was born. 1946 was a mostly downer year for publishing. Lots of military, surviving the war or the camps type stuff.
So glad it is authors born the same year as me. That still will be old authors but nevertheless a better choice.

message 15: by Margo (new)

Margo  (dandylines) Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Does anyone else have suggestions on how to find an author by the year they were born? I tried the two suggested websites and didn't really find anything. I've also done my own search and not found..."

Can you search it on Amazon or Google?

message 16: by Madison (new)

Madison | 7 comments Margo wrote: "Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Does anyone else have suggestions on how to find an author by the year they were born? I tried the two suggested websites and didn't really find anything. I'..."

Google was the first thing I tried. Over the last hour (yes, I've spent an hour on this), I've found only 2 authors born in 1994, neither very well-known or with great reviews. Not for the first time do I wish I was a few years older!

Is there a way to filter like that on Amazon? That would be amazing, but I think it's unlikely.

message 17: by Margo (last edited Jan 04, 2016 08:34PM) (new)

Margo  (dandylines) Deepak Chopra
Born in 1946.
One of my favorite spiritual authors. He has also written fiction.
I will probably read "Lords of the Light" or "Daughters of Joy", or "Soulmate", though if I am feeling like some non-fiction I may try his book on Mohammed or Buddha.

ps - once I found some sites to look for authors, this was fun. I found out that Donald Trump and G. W. Bush were both born in 1946. Depending on your politics you will laugh, cry or something in between.

message 18: by Amy Beth (new)

Amy Beth | 41 comments Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Does anyone else have suggestions on how to find an author by the year they were born? I tried the two suggested websites and didn't really find anything. I've also done my own search and not found..."

Goodness, yes, 1994 seems tough. Lots of athletes born that year, though! Hmmm....I wonder what a good alternative might be?

message 19: by La_mariane (new)

La_mariane | 36 comments For those born in 1984, here are a few authors (I've never read anything they wrote, but it seems interesting, or it can help with other categories in the challenge):
Helen Oyeyemi (her plays sound really interesting)
Marissa Meyer (retold fairy tale)
Karan Mahajan (stories set in India)
Marie Lu (YA)
Juan Gómez Bárcena (I could find only one novel, The Sky over Lima, that sounds like it can also fit for the "book about books" cateory).

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Does anyone else have suggestions on how to find an author by the year they were born? I tried the two suggested websites and didn't really find anything. I've also done my own search and not found..."

Check out the site recommended above - it's really useful! http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/yea... (this is the link to 1994)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/years/ (all years listed)

message 21: by Margo (new)

Margo  (dandylines) Amy Beth wrote: "Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Does anyone else have suggestions on how to find an author by the year they were born? I tried the two suggested websites and didn't really find anything. I'..."

I assume you tried the Goodreads website and Amazon.
I finally came up with some other suggestions just by googling authors born in (year of birth). The google did not say what they have written but it was a start.

message 22: by Margo (new)

Margo  (dandylines) Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Margo wrote: "Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Does anyone else have suggestions on how to find an author by the year they were born? I tried the two suggested websites and didn't really fin..."

google filter: type author a plus sign then the year
example: author + born in 19..) or put in more conditions such as author + year of birth 19..) + mystery

message 23: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Regan | 119 comments Mod
Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Does anyone else have suggestions on how to find an author by the year they were born? I tried the two suggested websites and didn't really find anything. I've also done my own search and not found..."

Goodness, what a challenge. I came up with one, whose birth date I can't find, but who was said to be 18 in an article written on 24 Nov 2013. Her name is Beth Reekles, and there's at least one book by her on Goodreads.

I'll keep looking for you, as I will have an easy time with my 1951 birth date. I didn't find any magic way to look, just Googled very young authors.

message 24: by Madison (new)

Madison | 7 comments Thanks to all three of you! I spent hours looking (I'm still on winter break and have nothing better to do) and only found a few that honestly sounded quite horrible. I saw where Beth Reekles is coming out with another book in 2016 though that maybe I'll like more so thanks Nancy :) And I'll have to try your suggestion Margo! I already did a pretty intensive google search (where I found 2 authors) but didn't use those exact filters. Mary - I did check that out and I only wish that it was authors who died the year you were born instead since that would give me so many more options! Haha.

message 25: by Margo (new)

Margo  (dandylines) Deepak Chopra's The Angel is Near
author born in 1946. One of my favorite spiritual authors.
Also considering "The 13th Disciple" or one of his books on Hinduism, Buddhism, or Mohammed.

message 26: by Linda (last edited Jan 05, 2016 07:11AM) (new)

Linda Wagner | 28 comments Considered this exciting news...JK Rowling was born in 1965. Since she is also writing under the name Robert Galbraith, I will be using the 3rd book in the Cormoran Strike series. Have loved the first 2. Its called Career in Evil.

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Thanks for the helpful links! For the year 1978 I picked Feed by Mira Grant. It's a post-apocolyptic everyone is dying from disease type of book. Right up my alley! Also, James Franco was born in '78 and has lots of books to pick from.

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 229 comments Melissa wrote: "Thanks for the helpful links! For the year 1978 I picked Feed by Mira Grant. It's a post-apocolyptic everyone is dying from disease type of book. Right up my alley! ..."

I am reading the same one!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Reading A Spot of Bother which rather conveniently had already been bought, Mark Haddon being born in 1962.

message 30: by Teresa (last edited Jan 10, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

Teresa (teremazon) This category will force me, once and all, to acquaint myself with the über-famous JK Rowling, who was born in 1965! I have never read a single of her books and it is about time, ladies and gentleman.

Harry Potter, here I come!

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling

message 31: by Nancy (new)

Teresa wrote: "This category will force me, once and all, to acquaint myself with the über-famous JK Rowling, who was born in 1965! I have never read a single of her books and it is about time, ladies and gentlem..."

I hope you have as much fun as I did. I had never read anything of hers until last year's challenge, when the category "a book with magic" sent me her way. I think I'll be able to work her into this year's challenge, too. Enjoy!

message 32: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Johansson (dakkster) | 215 comments 1981, looks like I will finally have more of a reason to read one of my Cecelia Ahern books.

message 33: by Teresa (last edited Jan 13, 2016 06:05PM) (new)

Teresa (teremazon) @Nancy, I had Harry Potter shortlisted for the "magic" category last year too, but I got side tracked with The Night Circus, which I actually found quite disappointing, d spite the hype. I could also choose any Harry Potter for the "book that I saw the movie, but not read the book", and I actually liked all the movies.

message 34: by Sarika (new)

Sarika (_sarika_) | 62 comments I will be either Åsa Larsson (I think I have one of her books just sitting on my shelf, unread and neglected) or Jodi Picoult.. I've wanted to read The Storyteller for ages..

1966 is my year. Can't believe I will be 50 this year. And a mum of a three-year old.

message 35: by Peabody (new)

Peabody Nancy wrote: "Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Does anyone else have suggestions on how to find an author by the year they were born? I tried the two suggested websites and didn't really find anything. I'..."

I'm the same age as you and i'm also drawing a blank.
Did you end up finding anything good?

message 36: by Madison (last edited Jan 19, 2016 08:52AM) (new)

Madison | 7 comments Christina wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Does anyone else have suggestions on how to find an author by the year they were born? I tried the two suggested websites and didn't really fin..."

Books for 1994 (in case anyone missed the previous conversations).

This Star Won't Go Out
This Star Won't Go Out by Esther Earl
A collection of the journals, fiction, letters, and sketches of the late Esther Grace Earl, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 16. Photographs and essays by family and friends will help to tell Esther’s story along with an introduction by award-winning author John Green who dedicated his #1 bestselling novel The Fault in Our Stars to her.

Radio Silence
Radio Silence by Alice Oseman
This book doesn't come out until February, and the author has a few books out already, but they're just not my cup of tea. Radio Silence sounds promising though.

Positive: A Memoir
Positive A Memoir by Paige Rawl
In this compelling and compulsively readable memoir, nineteen-year-old Paige Rawl tells the story of how she was mercilessly bullied in middle school...and how she overcame the ordeal to change her world for the better. (Paige Rawl was born HIV-positive).

Beth Reekles
Beth Reekles
Beth Reekles also has a few books out.

I'm most likely to read one of the memoirs, but I may wait a bit into the year just to see if something else pops up. If you ever find a good one Christina, let me know!

message 37: by Peabody (new)

Peabody Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Christina wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader) wrote: "Does anyone else have suggestions on how to find an author by the year they were born? I tried the two suggested websites and..."

Thanks!! I didn't see Positive that looks more promising then the other ones. Yeah the YA romance seems to be what they like to write and it just isn't anything that I would like.

message 38: by Anne (new)

Heh. I changed my mind for this category - I just finished Not My Father's Son A Memoir by Alan Cumming Not My Father's Son: A Memoir by Alan Cumming, who it turns out was also born in 1965.

I highly recommend it for the memoir category!

message 39: by Yana (new)

Yana (mrscashmoney) | 5 comments Suggestions for 1987?

So far I've found:

Elizabeth Smart
Amanda Knox

message 40: by Madison (new)

Madison | 7 comments Yana,

Alexandra Bracken is one of my favorite authors (born in 1987). She wrote a great YA science fiction trilogy and just came out with a new book as well. The first trilogy is kind of like X-Men mixed with the Underground Railroad (really strange comparison, but pretty accurate).

I would link to it, but I'm on my phone!

Amanda Knox would definitely be an interesting read.

message 41: by Nancy (last edited Jan 27, 2016 08:40AM) (new)

Yana wrote: "Suggestions for 1987?

So far I've found:

Elizabeth Smart
Amanda Knox"

Here's a website that has 10 in addition to the ones you mention. I'll keep my eyes open.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/yea...

message 42: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinskelly) | 16 comments I had a hard time finding a book for this category, just because I had a difficult time identifying an author. But then I learned that Sara Bareilles (the singer) wrote a book of essays about specific songs and how they related to her life:

Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song

And she was born the same year as I! I'm very excited about this one, because I LOVE her music.

message 43: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) I had no idea Sara Bairelles wrote a book! I love her music and it would be interesting to find out more about the inspiration for some of her songs!

message 44: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicamdawn) | 19 comments Anyone got any ideas for 1991? I've tried searching 'authors born in 1991' but I keep getting lists of actors that don't mention books in the bios or people who DIED in 1991.

message 45: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 118 comments Jessica wrote: "Anyone got any ideas for 1991? I've tried searching 'authors born in 1991' but I keep getting lists of actors that don't mention books in the bios or people who DIED in 1991."

Samantha Shannon? Also a few more here https://www.fantasticfiction.com/year... (you need to scroll down the page)

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jld451) | 34 comments Anyone recognize any of the authors listed for 1973? https://www.fantasticfiction.com/year... I could burn hours trying to single one out or I could gamble on a recommendation. The latter sounds more exciting.

message 47: by Linda (new)

Linda Wagner | 28 comments Jennifer wrote: "Anyone recognize any of the authors listed for 1973? https://www.fantasticfiction.com/year... I could burn hours trying to single one out or I could gamble on a recommendation. The latter so..."

If you have not read Watership Down, it would be a good choice. Excellent book.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Anyone recognize any of the authors listed for 1973? https://www.fantasticfiction.com/year... I could burn hours trying to single one out or I could gamble on a recommendation. The latter so..."

Wow, so many writers and so few that I know. The only one I've read (from the year you were born) is A Lee Martinez. I've read only one (I think) but three on my to-read list. Not much of a recommendation I'm afraid, as I only gave one star the one I did read!

message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicamdawn) | 19 comments Jennifer wrote: "Anyone recognize any of the authors listed for 1973? https://www.fantasticfiction.com/year... I could burn hours trying to single one out or I could gamble on a recommendation. The latter so..."

Cassandra Clare is famous for her The Mortal Instruments series (and all the series connected to it). I haven't read The City of Bones (TMI #1) in awhile, but I don't remember it being bad if you wanna read something supernatural.

James Dashner is behind the Maze Runner books, but the books - in my opinion - are pretty awful compared to the movies based on them. I don't recommend them.

message 50: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Watership Down is a must read!!!!! One of my all time favorite books. I have read it at least 5 times!!!

« previous 1