Start by marking “Radio Silence” as Want to Read:
Radio Silence

Radio Silence

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  30,557 ratings  ·  6,780 reviews
This is a previously-published edition of ISBN 9780007559244

What if everything you set yourself up to be was wrong?

Frances has been a study machine with one goal. Nothing will stand in her way; not friends, not a guilty secret – not even the person she is on the inside. Then Frances meets Aled, and for the first time she's unafraid to be herself.

So when the fragile trust
Published February 25th 2016 by Harper Collins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Radio Silence, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jess Radio Silence is actually in the same universe, and the same town, as Alice's first book. If you read Solitaire, then go back to Radio Silence you get…moreRadio Silence is actually in the same universe, and the same town, as Alice's first book. If you read Solitaire, then go back to Radio Silence you get a couple good little character interactions between the two stories characters. (less)

·  30,557 ratings  ·  6,780 reviews

Start your review of Radio Silence
chai ♡
Do not pity the dead, Harry, pity the living, and above all those WHO HAVE NEVER READ THIS BOOK.

This book was like, the spiritual equivalent of eating a perfectly toasted bagel. It was so so good and so adorable and I feel so soft on every level of metaphorical interpretation. I honestly just want to SCREAM about this book and these characters forever and let that be my career. I swear I have such a obsessive personality and once I like something I invest my entire livelihood into it and forget
Alice Oseman
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
RADIO SILENCE is my second YA novel! It features:
- a high-achieving teenage girl who believes her future lies in academia
- her learning that sometimes there are other paths through life and learning to embrace her passion for art
- the shy, mysterious creator of a science-fiction audio drama podcast
- a friendship between a boy and a girl where they don't fall in love
- a critique of the way the education system brainwashes teens into believing that if they don't get good grades, they're destined f
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
TW: mental illness, animal abuse
This was excellent and hit so close to home on many levels. Highly recommend the audiobook!
Zoë
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This hit so close to home, and I loved it. A heartfelt book that I would recommend to any person who has struggled with mental illness, academic pressure, and figuring out your own path. New favorite!
Elle (TheBookishActress)
description
description
“People move on quicker than I can comprehend. People forget you within days, they take new pictures to put on Facebook and they don't read your messages. They keep on moving forward and shove you to the side because you make more mistakes than you should.”

There’s something so authentically millennial about this book. It’s in the sense of loss. The exploration of detachment from parents and of abuse. The music choices - London Grammar and The 1975’s Chocolate are mentioned on the same page.
Melanie
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: kat

“…please just call me Radio. Radio Silence. I am, after all, only a voice on a radio, and there may not be anyone listening.”

Radio Silence is the best contemporary book I’ve ever read. Full stop. So, buckle in, because this is going to be a full-gush review, because this book was everything. And holy shit did it blow all my expectations out of the water.

I normally give a brief synopsis about the book I’m reviewing here, but Radio Silence almost feels too personal for me to even type
Cindy Pham
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m pleasantly surprised by how authentically Oseman portrays teenagers, academic pressure, fandom, and friendships. The dialogue is organic instead of forced, the themes are universally relatable, and the purely platonic friendship is very genuine. The pace throughout this book is nicely done with several points of tension throughout the story. The diversity is weaved in naturally. Overall, this is a solid book that is sure to hit home for many teenagers. The main reason why I’m not rating this ...more
C.G. Drews
Okay, wow, I did not expect to be entirely absolutely utterly IN LOVE with this book. I mean, I am a dragon??? This is a contemporary??? What is going on with this universe. But this book totally took my entire heart and it was so freakishly relatable I had moments where I was like "Excuse me, dear author, STAHP READING MY MIND THIS IS GETTING WEIRD". So that was amazing. And just....ajfdskaldfads. I have feelings. I have like nine feelings. What is going on with this universe.

#VulcanCaitBreaksD
Cristina Monica
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friendship, lgbt
The easiest five-star-rating I gave this year to a YA book. I was going to say to a book, forget the YA thing, but ‘‘Kings Rising’’ got a five stars from me the moment I finished reading the first sentence. Damen & Laurent forever and ever.

The friendship between Frances and Aled is definitely what I liked best. Or maybe not. It’s hard to pinpoint the most impressive thing about this book, honestly. The pacing is fabulous (such short chapters!), the atmosphere is great, the humour is uplifting, t
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I have a complicated relationship with YA contemporary books. I find that they're often quite fluffy in an empty kinda of way and often overhyped.

With that said, I think this one was great and completely get it. Great representation, great friendships and overall attaching characters you will feel for.

Recommend it!
Ariel
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I'd read this as a teenager. Alice Oseman so delicately and personally delivers a story about enjoying creativity and seeing life as having more options than solely "go to University."

We follow Frances, a girl who is dead set on going to Cambridge... even though she doesn't really seem to understand why she got on this path in the first place or remember why it matters so much to her. It's always been her plan, so it must have been the only good option, right? When she gets involved in a
jessica
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i absolutely tore through this. i actually dont think ive ever finished a book so quickly. just the effortlessness and ease of this story is really something. most likely because the pacing is on point, the storyline is good, and aled. oh my gosh. aled is so innocent and wholesome. i honestly kind of wish the story was told from his perspective instead.

but can we hear it for boy/girl friendships that actually STAY a friendship!? its sooo refreshing to read about this kind of relationship and i
✨    jamieson   ✨
Me: time to talk about Radio Silence!

*clears voice*

Me: ARRRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I cannot, literally cannot emphasis to you how much I freakin adore this book with all my heart

Radio Silence is a book I've seen promoted around, especially by my friendos Amelie and Tasha and I expected to enjoy it but what I didn't expect was to fall down a radio silence hole never to be seen again

“In Distress. Stuck in Universe City. Send Help.

emma
Look at me posting it up!!! Find this review hereeeeee: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...
---------

What. Is. This. Book.

Like...how do I review a book if I don’t know my feelings on it? AND HOW DO I DECIDE WHAT MY FEELINGS ARE IF I DON’T KNOW WHAT IT IS?

Okay. Let me go with the old classics and start off by stating what I know: a synopsis and the few concrete opinions I have.

So in this book we follow Frances, a studying machine who is a huge fangirl of a podcast (for a podcast? What is the
Whitney Atkinson
This book missed the mark for me, but also helped me solidify the fact that I don't think I enjoy fandom books anymore. This book focuses a lot on a fictional podcast and fanart and fandom, and I just found it more cringy than relatable. I liked Aled, so I wish this book was about him rather than Frances. I just couldn't relate at all to the storyline, and the overarching conflict of the characters not wanting to go to college ended up being so flat with such an easy solution--then don't?

I'm su
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*4.5/5

I honestly can’t tell you how long it’s been since I stayed up too late, not even realizing what time it was because I was so desperate to finish a story. Brilliant.
Nat
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diverse-reads
“Hello. I hope somebody is listening.”

Radio Silence has been on my wishlist for ages, so I figured the time has come to pick it up. And wow was time right.

We follow Frances Janvier's final school year. Frances has always been a study machine with one goal, elite university. Nothing will stand in her way; not friends, not a guilty secret – not even the person she is on the inside.

Frances is obsessed with Universe City, a YouTube podcast show about a suit-wearing student detective looking for a wa
Nick
Sep 24, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
this is everywhere
Kai
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, owned, 2016
"Everything's better under the stars, I suppose. If we get another life after we die, I'll meet you there."

4.5/5 stars

A girl pretending to be someone else entirely. A boy who can peel away her layers. A friendship so deep they'll never want to lose each other. And secrets that could destroy it all.

I've you've read Solitaire or Radio Silence you'll know that she's one of us. Movie and book nerd, internet and 90's kid, passionate procrastinator, feminist, possibly awkward. Which is the main reason
chan ☆
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
"if you like it, then it is brilliant."

shit y'all. i'm honestly at a loss for words when it comes to this book. as with many books, i was influenced by another person to read this one. specifically by kat of paperbackdreams on youtube. if you watch her, you'll understand the expectations that i had going into this.

it wasn't at all what i expected. i didn't know much about the plot going in, purposefully. but i didn't expect a book about a girl in her senior year of high school & a boy with an an
Kayla Dawn
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
3,5* - this was so great up until the "showdown" happened. Realistic characters and relationships, a compelling writing style and a great message. But ugh the ending was so over dramatic and unrealistic.. It kinda ruined the book for me tbh.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
THIS WAS SO GOOD EXCUSE ME WHILE I CRY FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS
amy ☂︎
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, lgbtq-rep
💭jus thinking..... can you take legal action against fictional characters?? because carol last needs to rot in jail for the rest of her life

i've literally never wanted to fight a nonexistent person more, like i’ve hated a lot of characters but you really take the cake CAROL

anyways i liked this book a lot but i feel let down because of the hype it received. (thanks for nothing goodreads asshats! stop hyping books. disappointment is imminent when you have sky high expectations). regardless a bea
may ➹
you know those books you feel like you were put on Earth to read? this is it. this is one of those books

wow. I feel like this book was written about me, and written for me. I love everything about it and you all are missing out if you haven’t read this masterpiece

// buddy read with gay driver & cortical reader
daph_pink

©ctto

Hello. I hope somebody is listening …”( next time you wanna make me cry just say this line to me)
• Every book I have ever read , listen to me you all should envy this book, because it took my heart away the way none of you ever did!!!
• Don't get too jealous okay , I don't want to wake up in middle of night!
• Yeah so Radio silence (calm down*s creaming*)

• I FUCKING LOVE THIS BOOK AND ITS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!

•you see the book cover , look into her eyes , now you have my photo , look into my
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡
❥ 5 / 5 stars

This book is just 474 pages long but I don’t know why I feel attached to it this much.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is just so damn important! The best coming of age, young adult book I will ever read.

It's just so real.

I started reading this one with no expectations. Good or bad, I was not going to care. I just jad to read it. The book has been slowly getting its audience ever since it got published.

This book is just not about the dilemma of the young who are getting into University and handling social media. This book is more than that. It talks about passion, the difficult situations the younger g
Romie
I honestly never thought that picking this book up would mean finding a new favourite book only 3 days into 2018. And yet … also why did I wait so long? To think I could have read this little masterpiece a year ago is absolutely mind-blowing. I’m the worst.

I read this book with one of my best friends and in a way it reminded me of us. Of our friendship. Maybe that’s why this book is so special to me, because it felt like reading about my life.

Frances is someone who, since the moment she learned
Claudia Ramírez
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
They were all so precious I love them all.
✨    jamieson   ✨
“And I’m platonically in love with you.”
“That was literally the boy-girl version of ‘no homo’, but I appreciate the sentiment.”

I have already done a full review of this book the first time I read it and if you're interested in reading that you should do so. It'll give you my in depth thoughts on this book and explain why I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

This is a reread, because I fucking love this book so much. So I'm just gonna do a dot point review TO EXPRESS MY EMOTIONS. Thanks

🌟 first of all this book
Drop Everything A...: Radio Silence 2 22 May 30, 2020 04:27AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Radio Silence by Alice Oseman - Restarting April 25th 2020 95 167 May 02, 2020 04:21PM

• Red, White & Royal Blue
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Sadie
  • We Are the Ants
  • Felix Ever After
  • The Poet X
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Autoboyography
  • Eliza and Her Monsters
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Wilder Girls
  • Girl Made of Stars
  • Pumpkinheads
  • With the Fire on High
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Alice Oseman is an author/illustrator and was born in 1994 in Kent, England. She has written four YA contemporary novels about teenage disasters: SOLITAIRE, RADIO SILENCE, I WAS BORN FOR THIS, and LOVELESS. She is also the creator of LGBTQ+ YA romance webcomic HEARTSTOPPER, which is now published in physical form by Hachette Children's Books.

Alice’s first novel SOLITAIRE was published when she was