The Reading Challenge Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Readathons > The Last Readathon of 2015 - What Are You Planning to Read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments This is the thread where we can discuss which books we are planning to read for the Last Readathon of 2015. The Readathon will run from 12:01 a.m. on December 25th to 11:59 p.m. on December 31st.

message 2: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) I am off for about half of that time so I am hoping to get much more reading done. I do plan on reading the last three books by Victoria Laurie to finish out the year. They are quick and fun reads.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'm having my readathon all month long and so far have just finished The Rosie Effect and am almost done with Watership Down so we'll see what I read after that.

message 4: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 436 comments Betrayed
The scent of jasmine
The stand

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 09, 2015 12:29PM) (new)

I probably will start reading The Fifth Gospel on December 26th or 27th, in between cleaning up the house after Christmas festivities. I need to finish the book by mid-January and am not sure if it will be a fast or slow read.

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 563 comments Well, I will be in the middle of my 3 week readathon at the time so will probably contribute whatever I am reading. I am stacking up big fat books with a gleeful eye to the 23rd when I finish work.....

message 7: by Beth (last edited Dec 26, 2015 05:31AM) (new)

Beth | 200 comments I'm not going to plan specific books because I always go off track with them, so I'll read whatever, probably something related to Christmas/probably still what I'm reading now knowing me!

The books I am currently reading are:

That risen snow
Early one morning
Talking to the dead

Books Read:
Red Queen

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 563 comments Oh The Fifth Gospel sounds good!

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Deborah wrote: "Oh The Fifth Gospel sounds good!"

On my TBR as well, but not for this challenge. I'll be finishing up some challenge list books for sure and books that I have been reading awhile to hopefully bump up my numbers for the year. I'm 11 books behind schedule!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Deborah wrote: "Oh The Fifth Gospel sounds good!"

Thanks Deborah. It wasn't my personal selection but I am hoping it will be interesting.

message 11: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) It looks like I might also squeeze in Haze by Deborah Bladon which is suppose to be out today. I am signed up for her newsletter so I am just waiting to get that email that says the book is live on Amazon. I put it as an event on my personal calendar so to wake up to that notification this morning was just glorious. Now when I get the email from Deborah's newsletter that will be the best part of my day.

message 12: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra (chibisuke) | 266 comments I'm going to do the same thing as Beth. Just reading whatever looks worth reading, but as I barely have any time lately I'll probably still be reading the same things as I'm currently reading...

message 13: by Cindy (last edited Dec 10, 2015 02:09PM) (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments I will probably read Mugby Junction by Charles Dickens. They are a collection of four short stories. Amazon recommended the Signalman and I wanted to read the other 3. My second book will be Help the Poor Struggler by Martha Grimes. I forgot I owned a copy of this book.

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 106 comments I'm hoping to finish off reading Alamut and Doctor Who: Big Bang Generation. Then I plan on reading Doctor Who: Deep Time.

message 15: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I'm off work all that time, yay! I'll finish Agent 9, if I don't get it done this week. It's my last book for the PopSugar challenge. And then I want to read Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress in time to participate in the group discussion here. If I finish both of those, I'm not sure what I'll pick up but I have plenty to choose from around here of course!

message 16: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Only a few days to go before the start of the readathon! It's a busy time of year so I'm trying to get as much done as I can to really take advantage of the readathon. I received the new fully illustrated Harry Potter so I will be diving into that one first.

message 17: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4719 comments Mod
Oooo! That sounds amazing! Now I need to track down the illustrated Potter. Perhaps it will be a merry Christmas to me!

message 18: by Scarlet (new)

Scarlet I'm planning on reading Red Queen Beautiful Disaster MILA 2.0 and A Tale of Two Cities if I don't finish it before!

message 20: by Dora (new)

Dora I'll probably try to finish Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and The Iliad by Homer

message 21: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
I adore both of those books Dora! I might actually start The Odyssey in the new year...

Mrs. Dalloway was one of the first real classics I read, that got me into majorly reading in my spare time.

message 22: by Dora (new)

Dora Holly, at the moment I'm at the Book V, but when I finish it, I'll probably like it as much as you :D A truly epic story (no pun intended)!
The Iliad was a result of a really long, but failed buddy-read, we planned to read The Iliad, The Odyssey and then Ulysses within three months, I guess we were too ambitious...
I even wanted to start the new year with epic poems only, but I've seen you cooked up some pretty interesting mini-challenges ;)

message 23: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

That is beyond impressive... Yeah, I can imagine that could fail spectacularly... Did anyone manage to complete it?

If, when you've finished The Iliad, you want to give The Odyssey a go, send me a message or something. I'd love to do it as a buddy read!

message 24: by Dora (new)

Dora I think one person will pull this through, she wanted to read Ulysses and was looking for buddy readers for months, at least we gave her a little push :)

When it comes to The Odyssey, expect me in February ;)

message 25: by Tina (new)

Tina Choy | 51 comments Probably A dance with dragons or A Woman of Substance. it will be a miracle if I can finish A Dance with Dragon by end of the year.

message 26: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 436 comments I want to finish the stand by the end of 2016

message 27: by Violet (new)

Violet (violaine) I want to read two books by Benjamin Black (aka John Banville), "Elegy for April" and "Christine Falls"; "Ariel" by Sylvia Plath; several books by Ryu Murakami that I have had on my Kindle for ages; "Meridian" by Alice Walker... And then I don't know actually, I want to leave room for impulse readings and last-minute decisions so I try not to plan too much. Just enough to get started. I feel excited!

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth I plan to read:

The Pride of Chanur - CJ Cherryh
Barefoot Gen, Volume One: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima - Keiji Nakazawa (comic)
We3 - Grant Morrison (comic)
The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain - Charles Dickens

But I have some other books around in case I change my mind.

message 29: by LadyElena (new)

LadyElena | 27 comments This is an excellent idea... I've been stuck with a book by John Niven "The second coming" since July. I started it but I can't seem to finish it. I guess this is what I need to go on with it :) Good luck everyone

message 30: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I'll be visiting a friend in New Orleans, but I'm going to try to finish my "Haunted" list...

1) Nicholas Nickleby
2) Indigo by Kayla Parent
3) One of Ours by Willa Cather
4) The Red Tent
5) The Martian

Plus I have a physical copy of Fingersmith, just in case I can't recharge during travel. :)

message 31: by Evan (new)

Evan (perfect_leaves) | 97 comments I'll be happy if I can get through Purity (Johnathen Franzen) and Jasmine Falling (Shereen Malberbe). The Franzen book is almost 600 pages, so that'll be a challenge in and of itself (I'll give myself bonus points for also finishing The Girl On the Train as well though).

message 32: by Clare (last edited Dec 24, 2015 02:06PM) (new)

Clare  (clarebears) | 275 comments Ive had terrible toothache this week so i have let my reading slip a bit. I would like to read

1) twelve deaths of christmas by jackson sharp
2) snowflakes on silver cove by holly martin.

message 33: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I'm not sure how much of a chance I will get to read tomorrow but wanted to wish everyone luck. A few hours to go - let's close out 2015 with a bang!

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 14 comments I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this! I'm hoping to finish Ex Libris (which I've been rereading on and off), finish Wood Wife (ditto), and read one of my new Christmas books.

message 35: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments I'm looking forward to starting Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeiffer & finishing Fifth Business by Robertson Davies. Then my Popsugar challenges 2015 will be done!

message 36: by Gaijinmama (last edited Dec 25, 2015 01:12AM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 13 comments Merry Christmas everyone.
Today I'm working on these books:
Written in My Own Heart's Blood
Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder--From Childhood Through Adulthood
A New Literary History of America
I haven't done much with this group or with Challenges in general this year, but I'm jumping into this one. I've decided to just keep track of how many pages I've read and try to finish up all the books on my Currently Reading shelf.
I always read one fiction book and at least one non-fiction book simultaneously. So far, at 6 p.m. on the 25th, I've read a total of 49 pages today. I may make it to 100 by the end of the evening...in cases like this, insomnia is my friend!

message 37: by Beth (last edited Dec 25, 2015 01:36AM) (new)

Beth Just read We3 by Grant Morrison at 1:35 am on the 25th. I really liked it, 4 stars.

message 38: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Merry Christmas!

I read a single chapter of Nicholas Nickleby before falling asleep but it's a start. :D

message 39: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1535 comments Mod
Beth- How do you like Red Queen? I think I may start next year with that.

I am not getting overly ambitious this time with work schedule and all. Finish Plague Dogs and Threads of A Web(ARC excited for it to actualy come out)

message 40: by Margriet (new)

Margriet Assen | 51 comments Merry Christmas! I am reading Schoolland by Theo Thijssen at the moment! A diary of a school teacher.

message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth | 200 comments Jenny wrote: "Beth- How do you like Red Queen? I think I may start next year with that.

I am not getting overly ambitious this time with work schedule and all. Finish Plague Dogs and Threads of A Web(ARC excite..."

Argh, sorry I've only just seen this and omg its great! I've nearly finished it and it's fast paced and great and omg, You should really decide to read it , and if you don;t decide to read it straight away I'd love to read along with you because it has honestly been one of my favourites from this year. I can see how it relates to the selection series and the hunger games but apart from that I love what I've read and I'm so excited for the sequel!!!

message 42: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1535 comments Mod
Uh oh... I did not like the selection a whole lot... is there better world building and more action at least? I already bought red queen cause it sounded good, so I'd be more than happy to do a readalong :-)

message 43: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 209 comments I'm hoping to make as much progress as I can in Gone with the Wind

message 44: by Deborah (last edited Dec 30, 2015 12:31AM) (new)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I read 9 whole pages of The Fifth Gospel today. Given the fact I didn't think I would get any reading done at all today, I guess that is a good thing.

Clare- I hope your toothache feels better.....

message 46: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Worked my way through several chapters of Indigo (by Kayla Parent) while I sat in the airport. Amazon needs to hire more ebook editors.

message 47: by NzingaMarie (new)

NzingaMarie | 34 comments Trying to finish up these last two books I've been working on so I can start the new year off fresh. Was only able read 53 pages today, but that's a decent start :)

message 48: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

So far I've read 132 pages of We Will Be Shelter, an amazing anthology of poems on various aspects of social justice. It's edited by my favourite poet, so I knew it was going to be good!

I'm also half way through An Uncommon Reader, which I started before the readathon. Would love to get this little book finished today. Its hilarious.

message 49: by Beth (new)

Beth | 200 comments Jenny wrote: "Uh oh... I did not like the selection a whole lot... is there better world building and more action at least? I already bought red queen cause it sounded good, so I'd be more than happy to do a rea..."

ah there isn;t many elements of it, just the process in which the main character comes to be in the situation

one the back of the book it says "Red Queen is a clever blend of The hunger games, The selection, Graceling and Divergent" and that was said by Starburst but I don't really think it is.

There is plenty of action and world building, halfway through I managed to get myself into the dreaded reading slump, I managed to pick it back up and was hooked again. So far there's been a couple of action packed scenes, but it hasn't just been focused on world building or action, I feel that there is a fair balance within it.

I'd be honoured to do a read along with you for it especially before I/we get our hands on the second one

message 50: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Just finished The Uncommon Reader. A wonderful little book!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.