Start by marking “Mugby Junction” as Want to Read:
Mugby Junction

Mugby Junction

Charles Dickens, collected his celebrated ghost story, The Signalman, and short tales by Charles Collins, Hesbah Stretton, Andrew Halliday, and Amelia Edwards. Arriving at Mugby Junction to escape his unhappy past, "Barbox Brothers", so named for his luggage enscription, befriends a workman and his invalid daughter, and explores the seven lines of the junction. He meets th ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Hesperus Press (first published 1866)

To ask other readers questions about Mugby Junction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mugby Junction

Start your review of Mugby Junction
Katie Lumsden
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable Victorian read, with some great stories in.
Debbie Zapata
Dec 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gutenberg
Well this was a disappointment for sure. Except for the first two sections, called Barbox Brothers and Barbox Brothers & Co., I only skimmed the book and have to call it a DNF. I was reading this for two reasons: I had seen somewhere that it was about trains, which I love; and it was also supposed to be a Christmas tale for a Read Dickens At Christmas mini challenge.

The trains were well represented throughout the book, with the best descriptions coming in the early pages of Barbox Brothers. I n
Vittorio Ducoli
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Davvero questo è Dickens? È Dickens (cit.)

L’ultimo capitolo della mia personale trilogia di Dickens non è dedicato ad un grande romanzo, ma ad alcuni degli scritti minori che formarono il cuore dell’attività letteraria dell’autore inglese nell’ultimo decennio della sua vita.
In stretta continuità con l’esperienza di Household Words, il popolare settimanale da lui fondato nel 1850, che dovette chiudere per una disputa con la casa editrice, nel 1859 Dickens fonda All the Year Round, periodico su cu
Pete daPixie
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Mugby Junction is another collection of short stories, the first four from Charles Dickens and the latter four written by Andrew Halliday, Charles Collins (brother of Wilkie), Hesba Stretton and Amelia Edwards. These were first published in 'All the Year Round' in 1886. A similar collection to 'The Haunted House'.
In June 1865, some eighteen months before writing these stories, Dickens was involved in one of the earliest rail disasters, when due to maintenance work on the line his train was derai
Anneloes
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-reader
I should read more short stories.
Nynke
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars
Simon
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some of what is best about Charles Dickens and much of what is worst. The worst of Dickens still beats the pants off most everything else.
An Odd1
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Dr Who Encyclopedia 2011 says Dr Who's favorite short story is "The Signalman" by Charles Dickens, the fourth found in 1898 "Mugby Junction" at gutenberg.org, 8 chapters, first four by Dickens. I call it fantasy for the three ghosts, mostly sentimental.
1 Barbox Brothers - is the company name, enscribed on two suitcases, that despondent "young Jackson" takes on. Grown so bitter after his girl and best friend elope together, fearing his next birthday, he folds the business and hits the rails to Mu
Jason
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dickens fans
Recommended to Jason by: Dickens Christmas Collection
1-1-17:

Read in this compilation: A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Classics, and I just found out I've been gypped! I was all proud that I had managed to get this in before the end of the year, and I discover this is supposed to be eight chapters, but I have only the first four. Those were written by Dickens himself, and the last four by other people. Here I am, telling this person who wanted to know what I thought of these Dickens collaboration things that I'm going to help her out with her
Matt
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Got this off Gutenberg for the famous ghost story The Signalman, which is good but perhaps undeserving of its exalted status. The rest is very meh. Dickens opens well until the story hinges on a ridiculous coincidence. The remainder of the stories are forgettable, although the mystery of the man and the shaving mirror is engaging. I believe this was written as commercial magazine filler and it shows.
Carl Nicholas
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had never really read many short stories until Mugby (read Rugby) junction. The character development is sublime in so few pages. It has to be said that while you don’t have to be one to enjoy these three stories, being a rail enthusiast really helped my understanding of the functions of the characters and reading about them from the time itself was very interesting.
James
Nov 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Began very similar in style to 'The Signalman', hugely entertaining and fun, but, oh boy did this deteriorate very quickly. By the last chapter, I really thought and figured, 'what was the point of it'. Overall, very disappointing.
Dan
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
interesting stories. Got to read two of them. There are supposed to be 6, three by Dickens and three by others. Got to read two of the Dickens. The version available on Hoopla quit before the last ten pages. Other free versions seemed to have the same problem.

Priya
Oct 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Lovely short stories all connected by a train station
Elena
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories using the railways as a metaphor for life, change, and choosing which path to go down.
Tim Orfanos
Ο Ντίκενς και οι συνεργάτες του καταπιάνονται με τον κόσμο και την 'ατμόσφαιρα' των αγγλικών τρένων και σιδηροδρόμων, ωστόσο, μόνο οι μισές περίπου ιστορίες έχουν ενδιαφέρον ('Ο σηματοδότης', 'Σπίτι χωρίς καθρέπτες', 'Το περιοδεύον ταχυδρομείο', Ό μηχανικός' και 'Μπάρμποξ Μπράδερς και ΣΙΑ), ενώ οι υπόλοιπες δεν έχουν ιδιαίτερη ουσία, ούτε μπορούν να εξιτάρουν το αναγνωστικό κοινό. Ωραία η σκέψη να εκδοθούν οι ιστορίες, αλλά, ίσως, θα έπρεπε να γίνει επιλογή.

Βαθμολογία: 3,3/5 6,6/10.
Chris Malone
I read this short gem over two days, and enjoyed the first two sections, especially the evocation of the railway. The odd coincidences later in the story were too neat for me, and the bedridden character was too bright and simpering. Then the final section deviated from the original narrative completely, which didn't work for me. Maybe it worked when Dickens published it as part of a collection, but as a standalone the story ran in the wrong direction, with a well-crafted opening, an interesting ...more
Melodee
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 19th-century, british
Mugby Junction is about a young man who is fleeing his birthday for reasons not enumerated. As expected, he meets some people and forges a relationship with them. Basically, he is learning how to be a better member of society. I was disappointed that this tale did not have the usual development of characters that I am accustomed to seeing in Dickens. With the exception of the sketch tacked on the end, there is not much of Dickens' usual hyperbole and sarcasm. I felt the ending was a little too ...more
Dave Morris
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it
An interesting curiosity, this; a curate's egg; a shared world that Dickens created and then threw open to his friends. The framing story is a typical Dickens seat-of-pants concoction, and doesn't really work, but "The Boy at Mugby" and Andrew Halliday's "The Engine Driver" are both fresh, vibrant, semi-reportage pieces that seem to show the influence of Henry Mayhew - though Halliday was a playwright, so maybe he always wrote his prose that way.
Roberta Trevisan Marques de Souza
Awkward. Hahahahahahaha!!!
Cryssilda
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Que dire.... j'ai lu la fin plus qu'en diagonale..
Ereck
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Four and a third stars, but I'll round up because the collection is under-appreciated by overly expectant readers here.
Mark
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
In trying to rediscover Dickens I found a book I could absolutely relate to. Superb. If only it was longer.
AdiaMarie

• A Friend from England
  • Sadler's Birthday
  • The Passion
  • The Tin Can Tree
  • New Boy (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • Shuggie Bain
  • A Shropshire Lad
  • Travels with My Aunt
  • The Oresteia: Agamemnon, The Libation Bearers, The Eumenides
  • If Morning Ever Comes
  • The Murder of Harriet Monckton
Charles John Huffam Dickens was a writer and social critic who created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the twentieth century critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and short stories enjoy lasting popularity.

Dicke