paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

What have you read?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I've created this thread so that peeps can post what they've just finished. It's a great way to get new recs and spread the word about books you either hated or loved. :D

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments I just finished THE STRAW MEN, by Michael Marshall, 2 BETA reads, and A TIME TO DIE, by Caroline Mitchell. (5* and 3.5*, respectively) THE STRAW MEN will be number 2 on my "best of 2015 list" (yes, I'm already narrowing them down, and the top 2 are in place...) ;)

message 4: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finished Long Black Coffin Long Black Coffin by Tim Curran by Tim Curran. Very creepy ghost story that actually gave me a shiver or two. Loved it!

You can read my review at

www.kenmckinley.wordpress.com

message 5: by Char (new)

Char I've been meaning to read those Michael Marshall books for a long, long time now.
I just finished reading The Stones of Muncaster Cathedral: Two Stories of the Supernatural and it was most excellent. (Also very short, so that was nice!)

message 6: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finished Savage Species Savage Species (Savage Species, #1-5) by Jonathan Janz by Jonathan Janz. If you're a fan of Layman, you'll love it.

Also finished Broken Sigil Broken Sigil by William Meikle by William Meikle. Meikle hits another home run in only 50 some pages.

If you're interested, you can read my reviews at www.kenmckinley.wordpress.com

message 7: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finishing 2015 with a flurry.

A Shrill Keening A Shrill Keening by Ronald Malfi by Ronald Malfi

The Hallow The Hallow by Keith Deininger by Keith Deininger

Cold as Hell Cold as Hell by David Searls by David Searls

If you're interested, you can read my reviews at

Www.kenmckinley.wordpress.com

message 8: by Maxine Marsh (last edited Jan 01, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Maxine Marsh | 703 comments Mod
Dipped into one of my Humble Bundle purchases and just finished Parable of the Sower Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1) by Octavia E. Butler .

It was very good.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I started the Hellspawn series and finished Hellspawn #1 by Brian Michael Bendis Hellspawn #2 by Brian Michael Bendis & Hellspawn #3 by Brian Michael Bendis .
I also started the Spawn Origins series and have finished the issues for the first volume. Spawn #1 by Todd McFarlane Spawn #2 by Todd McFarlane Spawn #3 by Todd McFarlane Spawn #4 by Todd McFarlane Spawn #5 by Todd McFarlane & Spawn #6 by Todd McFarlane .
I also finished Nausea by Ed Kurtz 4*, The Ape's Wife and Other Stories by Caitlín R. Kiernan 2* (meh), Nailbiter, Vol. 2 Bloody Hands by Joshua Williamson 4* and Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco 4.5*

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Kate wrote: "I started the Hellspawn series and finished Hellspawn #1 by Brian Michael BendisHellspawn #2 by Brian Michael Bendis & Hellspawn #3 by Brian Michael Bendis.
I also started the Spawn Origins series and have ..."

LOVED Burnt Offerings!

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "Kate wrote: "I started the Hellspawn series and finished Hellspawn #1 by Brian Michael BendisHellspawn #2 by Brian Michael Bendis & Hellspawn #3 by Brian Michael Bendis.
I also started the Spawn Origins ser..."

So creepy and unsettling, slow burn horror at it's best. :)

message 12: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finished Tortures of the Damned Tortures of the Damned by Hunter Shea by Hunter Shea. A very solid entry in the crowded Post-Apocolytpic Horror genre.

If you're interested, you're welcome to read my review at
Http://kenmckinley.wordpress.com

message 13: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finished two absolutely killer tales

Wolf Land Wolf Land by Jonathan Janz by Jonathan Janz

And

They Rise : A Deep Sea Thriller They Rise A Deep Sea Thriller by Hunter Shea by Hunter Shea

If you're interested, you're welcome to read my reviews at:

Http://kenmckinley.wordpress.com
Http://intothemacabre.booklikes.com

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Nicole wrote: "I reading the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls also The Secret Of Crickley Hall"

Is the Pride and Prejudice one any good?

message 15: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Kate wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I reading the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls also The Secret Of Crickley Hall"

Is the Pride and Prejudice one any good?"

I was wondering the same thing. Recently saw the preview of the movie and wondered if it was worth reading?

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I finished Birthdays for the Dead by Stuart MacBride , Hellspawn #11 by Steve Niles Hellspawn #12 by Steve Niles Hellspawn #10 by Steve Niles Hellspawn #13 by Steve Niles Wormwood Gentleman Corpse, Volume 1 Birds, Bees, Blood & Beer by Ben Templesmith and Wanted by Mark Millar

message 17: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finished Zero Lives Remaining Zero Lives Remaining by Adam Cesare by Adam Cesare. A fun read, especially for those of us that grew up draining quarters in the arcades in the 80s.

If you're interested, you can read my review at:

Http://kenmckinley.wordpress.com or

message 18: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Just finished Book # 7 of the Stephen King Challenge, The Long Walk The Long Walk by Richard Bachman .

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "The Devil's Woods The Devil's Woods by Brian Moreland, and Toplin Toplin by Michael McDowell"

How was The Devil's Woods??

message 21: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Kate wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "The Devil's Woods The Devil's Woods by Brian Moreland, and Toplin Toplin by Michael McDowell"

How was The Devil's Woods??"

Really liked it! That "creepy" feeling never let up. You expect "something" to happen around every corner!

message 22: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finished Desolation Desolation by Kristopher Rufty by Kristopher Rufty. It doesn't break any new ground, but it is a decent slasher tale.

You can read my review, if you're interested @

message 23: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Kate wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "The Devil's Woods The Devil's Woods by Brian Moreland, and Toplin Toplin by Michael McDowell"

How was The Devil's Woods??"

Really..."

I'm going to have to check out Devil's Woods!

message 24: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finished Prince of Nightmares Prince of Nightmares by John McNee by John McNee. Nicely reminiscent of Clive Barker.

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Ken wrote: "Finished Prince of Nightmares Prince of Nightmares by John McNee by John McNee. Nicely reminiscent of Clive Barker.

If you're interested, you can read my re..."

Great comparison!!

message 26: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Just finished Hell's Bounty Hell's Bounty by Joe R. Lansdale by Joe R. Lansdale. Cowboys and zombies!

If you're interested, you can read my review at

message 27: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finished book # 8 of The Stephen King Challenge - The Dead Zone The Dead Zone by Stephen King . What a great, great story!

If you're interested, you an read my review at

message 28: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Another quick read that was just kinda "Meh"...

Skinshift Skinshift by Lisa von Biela by Lisa von Biela

As always, if you're interested, you can read my review @

message 29: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finished Northwoods Northwoods by Bill Schweigart by Bill Schweigart. Excellent tale that blends X-Files with Ojibway folklore.

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
I finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson Clive Barker's Nightbreed Vol. 1 by Marc Andreyko Clive Barker's Nightbreed Vol. 2 by Clive Barker Clive Barker's Nightbreed #9 (Clive Barker's Nightbreed 9) by Marc Andreyko Clive Barker's Nightbreed #10 (Clive Barker's Nightbreed 10) by Marc Andreyko clive barker's nightbreed #11 by Marc Andreyko clive barker's nightbreed #12 by Marc Andreyko

message 31: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finished Salvage Salvage by Duncan Ralston by Duncan Ralston. Not a bad first novel. A hallucinating ghost story set in a small town in Ontario that was flooded with the construction of a hydroelectric damn 30 years ago.

As always, feel free to check out my review at:

message 32: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 34 comments Finished Midnight Rain Midnight Rain by James Newman by James Newman. Great first novel by Newman.

If you're interested, you can read my review at

message 33: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I didn't see a thread for physical books that we have read and want to pass along to others so I am going to post this here. If anyone would like this book (in US), let me know and I will send it to you. I don't keep any books that aren't on my kindle anymore.

I just finished one called Anatomy of a Haunting: The Nightmare on Baxter Road Anatomy of a Haunting The Nightmare on Baxter Road by Lee Strong by Lee Strong.
It was a great haunted house/ghost story book.
Here is my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 34: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Vicki--that one is right up my alley, if nobody else wants it. :)

message 35: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis It is yours... :)
PM me your address and I will send it out.

message 36: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 600 comments Vicki wrote: "It is yours... :)
PM me your address and I will send it out."

YAY! Thank you, Vicki!!