Start by marking “Wanted” as Want to Read:
Wanted

Wanted

(Wanted #1-6)

What if everything in your life was out of your hands and those around you propelled your fate? Your girlfriend left you for your best friend; your boss gave your job to someone better. What if then, after all this, someone gave you back total control? What if he revealed you were the next in line to join a secret society of super-villains that controlled the entire ...more
Published November 27th 2007 by Image Comics (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wanted, please sign up.
Emily The "radioactive condom" probably contains Kryptonite. (Calling any tight stretchy container a condom is fairly common slang.) Opening a box with…moreThe "radioactive condom" probably contains Kryptonite. (Calling any tight stretchy container a condom is fairly common slang.) Opening a box with glowing green Kryptonite to subdue him was extremely common back in the Golden Age. On second thought, it may also contain Green Lantern's ring...

As for the cape, that was instantly recognizable...
(less)

Start your review of Wanted
Anne
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
So.
Eminem is a supervillain.

description

Ok, so you know the movie with James McAvoy & Angelina Jolie filled with physics-defying car chases, nonsensical things like curving the bullet, and Morgan Freeman fucking with some ancient loom of destiny? Well, if you think that's what you'll be getting here, you'll be sorely disappointed. Because as retarded as the plot sounded, there was a hefty dose of entertainment value there.

description

Nope. This is an entirely different story altogether.
ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.
In fact,
Patrick
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good story. (I'd expect no less from Millar, who is a great writer.) It's tight and well-contained. A stand alone story that is dense without being too busy.

That said, there's some pretty toxic stuff in here. There's a lot of lot of equally good comics out there that I'd recommend before this one, as they don't reinforce/glamorize some of our culture's darkest tendencies, and this one does.
Will M.
This is another clear example of why you shouldn't listen to most criticisms about a novel/graphic novel that you're interested in. I bought this without knowing that most of my friends hated this, and that there was a movie made already. I just read the short synopsis at the back because the cover looked fucking great. Months later, I ended up picking this up from the top of my bookshelf, and managed to enjoy the hell out of it.

This is not one of those cheap crime shit that you get most of the
David Schaafsma
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Maybe this 'being evil all the time' crap’s just starting to feel a little forced.” –Wesley.

A kind of alternative, inverse history of superheroes from the perspective of multiple super-villains, and in particular, one all-time loser turned bad-ass guy named Wesley, whose Dad, The Killer died and left him his super-villain legacy. I don't usually like comics with covers that look like this, and with some tasteless minor characters called Shithead, and so on, but there's a point to that, they are
Ali
Jun 17, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
I'm relieved to hear the upcoming movie, Wanted, is only "loosely" based on this comic - that gives it at least a chance to not suck completely.

Wanted, the comic, does suck completely. That's not a particularly nuanced assertion, but it's true. Almost all of it is plagiarized from other sources, not even subtly. Its most notable unplagiarized theme is the completely unexplainable racism that runs through it. The point of the comic is that supervillains make up a secret society running the world.
Brooke
Sep 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
A friend of mine recently told me that the movie (with Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman) was better than this book. I had liked the movie, but I was skeptical, because how often does a movie version improve things? By my count, only twice so far (that would be The Prestige and The Children of Men). When I picked this up from the library, I briefly flipped through it and noticed that the Angelina Jolie character is actually black in the book. Oh Hollywood, I thought, you are so white and ...more
J.G. Keely
Sep 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, reviewed, capes
Millar wrote his crude, violent anti-hero romp twenty years too late. While grittiness is still prized in 'grown up' comics, Millar has apparently mistaken 'mature content' for 'maturity'. Of course, he's not the first to fall into this trap. We've all seen television, movies, and books that place a premium on sex and blood, but presented with all the sophistication of a sniggering teen.

Millar does not have the wit to present these issues seriously, nor are his plotting or characterization
Ryan
Mar 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
I usually like Mark Millar (The Ultimates is absolutely epic) but Wanted is really bad.

A friend of mine often says if you want your protagonist to be a villain, he's got to somehow charm the audience. So even when he's on a murder spree, readers will be like, "Oh, but he's so dashing!"

Wesley Gibson has the personality of a sulky thirteen year old. The sort of kid that shoots up his high school. Wow, how interesting. He's so anti-establishment, he says "fuck" in every panel. Hey wait: does that
Bryce Wilson
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
It's hard to imagine a more UnPC book then this.

It has a super villain made entirely of shit, the line "I Don't Fuck Goats I Make Love To Them." and ends with the novel literally sodomizing you, the person who shelled out money for it.

It's like Bret Easton Ellis and Chuck Palinuik collaborated on a "superhero" book and kept trying to one up eachother. It's pretty fucking awesome and I had a blast.
Nicolo Yu
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comixology
Mark Millar has made a career in comic books and movies creating stories where the bad guys win, and win big. I may have not read his complete bibliography, but his stories like, Nemesis, Old Man Logan, Jupiter's Legacy, and even his first arc on Ultimate X-Men where he had Magneto publicly humiliate George W. on the White House lawn. It all started with Wanted.

Wanted is set in a world where the super-villains got organized and overpowered the superheroes and established a new world order. With
Cheese
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The front cover of this book is a picture from the film, which I think is Millar's big f*** you to the film, because it was not the original cover!

I loved it. It's so un PC it's unreal, I think that's why I like it. Cop killing, hero killing, Radom killing, living shit and lots of sex! Nothing gets more in your face than this comic.

This could never be made into a real film. I'm happy the film sucked balls!
Arun Divakar
Aug 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
So here are some of the things I found in this comic :

1.The main protagonist Wesley Gibson behaves like a teenager on the worst day of his mood swing and uses the ‘f’ word on every alternate panel that he appears in.

2.A sort of ultraviolent legion of supervillains (who are not as timid as their DC counterparts) kills people by the hundreds and never gets noticed by anyone.

3.If you are a much bullied and harangued individual then you should break free and kill everyone who ever irked you.

4.The
Jan 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: absolutely no one in all the multiverse
Lame. The main character (with a stupidly striking resemblance to that most hardcore of rappers, Eminem! *dies*) goes from being the world's biggest loser to...the world's biggest loser! I was captivated, but what I was captivated by was my intense desire to kick Not!Eminem in the balls, shoot him in the face, and be done with the damn thing. I have no problem liking characters who are frankly irredeemable, murderous bastards, I'll excuse a lot for said characters, and I love an excessively ...more
Dan
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like a lot of people misinterpret this story. While it's meant to be wildly entertaining on a superficial level (and succeeds) it's also a sort of satire.

Grant Morrison, who knows Millar, expressed this same point about Wanted in his book Supergods.

I don't think it's a shallow dark tale like everyone is saying. The last line of comic that solidified my opinion on this, albeit in a very crass way, reads, "This is my face while I'm fucking you in the ass!"

It feels like the point of this was
Julio Bonilla
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A henchman with Down Syndrome??? That's a plus, being that I have ADD and am double-jointed due to trauma.

The graphic novel takes on a totally different direction than the movie. Plus, Wesley, who resembles Eminem, references(narrates) 1980s action flicks in the climax. Hey, I used to play a song repeatedly in my head whenever biking circa a decade ago! Did I mention Fox resembles Halle Berry?

Ill D
Oct 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Pulling back the curtain to reveal the ugly truth(s) behind the charade, Watchmen poignantly deconstructed comics as the puerile, spandex laden fantasies they always were. And since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Mark Miller decided to do his own take on Moore’s sacred tome. Heavily inverted and saturated with edginess, this ostensible tribute comes across as an insult more than anything.

Light-years from the stellar quality of Watchmen, Miller’s work wanes pathetically in
Clint
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-2018
This was fucking amazing! Super ultra violent and offensive. I really think this comic, which was published in 2004, would really run into problems with the pc police today. I loved the movie, but his was in some ways better. The plot is way more complicated, with alternate realities and a world-wide hypnosis that happened in 1986 and made us all forget that there had ever been superheroes, all of whom are now dead or slaving away in menial jobs to the satisfaction of all the super villains, who ...more
Brittany
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Only difference between a nightmare and a dream is how big your balls are, b****."
—The Fox, "Wanted" comic by Mark Miller, JG Jones, Paul Mounts

I always love strong females that have potty mouths, aren't too cliché, and don't care what others think of them. Owning your personal power is a theme I love to see written about.

Wow. This grew & grew on me! I was so excited when my fiancés' friend heard I liked the movie and thought I'd maybe enjoy the comic. Well, I did! "Wanted" was graphic,
L. McCoy
Damn. I really wanted (I couldn’t resist) to like this book but holy shit, it has it’s problems.

What’s it about?
Wesley has a kind of crappy life. His boss is a racist bitch to him, his girlfriend is fucking other guys, his father wasn’t around when he was growing up, all kinds of stuff. Well, he’s about to get training to become a super villain #1.
description
(Well, okay, not as cool as these villains. RIP Stefan. Always number one)

Pros:
The story is interesting. This book is pretty much about an illuminati
Brad
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I re-read this after watching the trailer to the James McAvoy, Angelina Jolie, Morgan Freeman movie adaptation and... this story of a cubicle drone who becomes a super-powered killer still holds up pretty well.
When The Killer (a Tommy Lee Jones look-alike) is killed, his girlfriend (Halle Berry) inducts his son (Eminem) into a super-criminal fraternity that secretly rules the world.
This book is bursting with cool, filmable scenes, like Eminem shooting flies with a revolver. Or The Killer being
Seth T.
Jul 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
As an example of the internet's new favourite word, Bildungsroman, Millar's super-villain crime spree Wanted is pretty much tit-for-tat. We follow its mopey hero (loosest sense applies) as he, well, butches up—emigrating from the country of the pissed-upon and hopelessly downtrodden to the utopian society of the Real Men and the hopelessly hedonistic.

Wesley is a real downer of a character. Spineless, misanthropic, and racist. A veritable cocktail of a social disease. Throw in a soul-sucking job
Joshlynn
May 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-and-comix
Wanted is awful. It's asinine, puerile, ignorant, and not even that entertaining. The much-lauded ending is some of the most laughably impotent metafiction I've ever encountered. Millar's writing is almost always the crayon-fisted work of a hack. The man is pathetic. But for whatever hideous masochistic reason I couldn't put this son of a bitch down. Take from that what you will.
Jim
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
A nice one time read graphic noveI. Wesley's outfit is cool
Jesse A
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
My comic man crush on Mark Millar continues.
Elizabeth
Okay, this is not Punisher Max. If you read the review of Punisher Max there are lots of passage you can just copy and paste in for Wanted - the stuff about strength being represented as the ability to rape, as being as racist as you please, as exalting in everything from genital mutilation to cannibalism. But this is not Punisher Max. This has a point. There actually is a point to Wanted. And that's the best thing that can be said for it.

Wanted is about what if the bad guys won? What is the
Jonathan
Aug 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
There is something eerily reminiscent in the style of Wanted to the writings of an adolescent school shooter. At one point in the story, the main character brags that while some of the other characters can ride sound waves or walk through walls, he's just good at killing people, and that's fine with him. Swell. From start to finish Wanted is an adolescent power trip for disturbed teenage boys. Anyone else is going to find the graphic novel either dull or silly (at times it is both).

Every page of
Rituraj Kashyap
It's Eminem and Halle Berry against the world. (Read the book to find out :P)

Wesley lives a miserable life, with a cheating girlfriend and the constant rebukes of his boss. But he cannot do anything about it, because he doesn't want to confront them. Then one day he gets swept into the world of supervillains...yes, there's a cabal of supervillains that has divided the world among its five members, kinda like The Godfather. Anyway, Wesley's life changes and he becomes The Killer, an expert
Nikolay Nikiforov
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Stupid, but fun, kind of a Clockwork Orange for retards. Kudos for not swerving from the message. The movie was gutless nonsense.
catechism
Jul 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Tanja L
Jun 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
What was the point of this? I cannot believe Brian K. Vaughan thinks the ending was "the bravest, most interesting finale to a comic ever". It was a twist ending just to be edgy. It might have had a greater impact if it wasn't preceded by a pointless, racist, sexist story that made the main character lose every ounce of credibility. You're left wondering why you would put any weight into what he says. His idea of living your life to the fullest is killing and raping people for no particular ...more

• 30 Days of Night, Vol. 1
  • Joe the Barbarian
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 2: Kitchen Irish
  • Aliens: Defiance, Vol. 1
  • Sweet Tooth: Deluxe Edition, Book Two
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, ...more

Wanted (6 books)
  • Wanted 1 (Italian Edition)
  • Wanted #2 (of 6)