The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2015 > 25.9 - Dakimel's task: Diversify Your Reading

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 06, 2015 03:30PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
25.9 - Dakimel’s task: Diversify Your Reading

I'm excited by the momentum in recent years towards diversification in publishing. My GR 'read' shelf consists primarily of female authors, and I've made it a priority to seek out male authors with diverse ethnic backgrounds. But to step up my reading diversity, and to spread the fun of diverse reading, I'm zeroing in on diverse female authors for this task.

Read two books, each by a female author with a diverse ethnic background and/or culture. Both books can be by the same author, but at least one must be a new-to-you author.

For the purposes of this task diverse ethnic backgrounds and/or cultures means:
** Asian-Indian - authors whose origins are from Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Afghanistan, Pakistan or Sri Lanka
** Asian-Pacific - authors whose origins are from Japan, China, Indonesia, Macao, Malaysia, Taiwan, North or South Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Trust Territories of the Pacific or the Northern Marianas.
** African - authors who have origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa.
** Hispanic/Latin - authors who have origins of Hispanic/Latin heritage, defined as the the following regions: Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean Basin
** Middle-Eastern/North African - authors who have origins in Turkey, Iran, the Arabian Peninsula, Egypt, or the Maghreb
** Native/Indigenous People - authors who have origins in the cultures of the North American Indian, Eskimo, Aleut, Native Hawaiian or Oceanic Aboriginal peoples.

Some of my personal favorites: Sonali Dev, Hanya Yanagihara, Toni Morrison, Ruth Ozeki, Beverly Jenkins, and Louise Erdrich.

And here are some lists to browse for more ideas, but remember to verify all SRC requirements, as well as task requirements, before claiming a book: Romance by Women of Color, Fantasy by Women of Color, Contemporary Black Women's Literature, Fantasy Novels by Women of Color, Mystery and Detective Novels by Women of Color

Books with the genre Sequential Art (Comics, Graphic Novels, Manga) are allowed for this task as long as they fit all other SRC requirements.

Required: Link to the author as well as to the books you are claiming. If the author’s Goodreads data doesn’t indicate that she is a female with a diverse ethnic background, provide an outside verification link.

Required: State which author is new to you.

Not required but fun: if you enjoyed your reading, signal-boost the author somehow (review the book here and/or elsewhere, mention the author on social media, tell your book club.)

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments #tryagain

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Would Amy Tan fit this task?

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments nice task Melanie/Dakimel

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments I think I got mine

The Inheritance of Loss - female/indian author/new to me

and a Nalini Singh - born in singapore

message 8: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Will these authors work?

Ang Li There's not much info about her on Goodreads, but here's the Wikipedia link. She's from Taiwan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Ang_...

Leila Aboulela, from Sudan

Victoria (RedsCat) (redscat) Love this task <3

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Thanks Dee & Victoria - I'm excited to pick my reads, too.

All the authors mentioned so far are approved!

message 11: by JennRenee (last edited Dec 06, 2015 08:08PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments can I clarify what origins mean.. is that family or roots from that country or the author themselves from that country.

message 12: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments The authors I am thinking of are
julue kagawa The Immortal Rules- of japanese decent https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_K...

and Legendby Marie lu- born in china

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim | 664 comments Would Priya Parmar fit this task?

Thank you.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim | 664 comments How about Ann Mah?

Thank you.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments How about Dana Stabenow, born in Alaska?

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments JennRenee wrote: "can I clarify what origins mean.. is that family or roots from that country or the author themselves from that country."

Family / Roots is grand - the author can be born wherever!

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Elizabeth wrote: "How about Dana Stabenow, born in Alaska?"

I don't see anything on her profile / website / wikipedia to indicate she's not white. If she's got Native American heritage (or anything else other than white) & you can provide the link, please retry!

message 18: by Trish (last edited Dec 07, 2015 01:22AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments Are biographies and memoirs okay? I've been meaning to read I Am Malala for a while, and it seems like it should fit this task.

Also, what about Aliette de Bodard? She was born in the US, lives in France, but has Vietnamese ancestry.

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Trish wrote: "Are biographies and memoirs okay? I've been meaning to read I Am Malala for a while, and it seems like it should fit this task.

Also, what about Aliette de Bodard?..."

Sure, any genre is okay, and both authors are approved! (but get your tissues ready before you read I Am Malala.)

message 20: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Dec 07, 2015 11:11PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments This task looks familiar......didn't we do this back over the summer? or something similar? :)

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments There have been other diversity tasks, as I recall, but then again, there are 2 or 3 'outside winter scenes on cover' tasks this time, too.

It's the only one I can remember that specifies both diversity & a female author (I remember a female author one from a few cycles ago). I've been doing the challenge for just over a year, though, so this might be a duplicate from before then. I think no matter what we do, it's hard to find a completely original task!

Anyway, there are always more diverse books & authors to choose from!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1155 comments Melanie wrote: "There have been other diversity tasks, as I recall, but then again, there are 2 or 3 'outside winter scenes on cover' tasks this time, too.

It's the only one I can remember that specifies both di..."

Yeah I know :) mine is one of them this time... with the Christmas decoration on the cover.

It was Catherine T's task from Summer 2015 and I enjoyed it so glad to see it come around again :) I have several female authors from the approved list that I haven't read yet on my TBR so this will definitely help me get them read....YIPPPEEEE (not to mention that I will also add a few more) LOL

Yes, I must agree with you. It is very hard to come up with an original task. I tried to come up with something different involving Christmas and covers but I just drew a big blank so I just decided to let it go. I figured it would help out a few members who are anxious to read the Holiday books.

message 23: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments Melanie wrote: "Sure, any genre is okay, and both authors are approved! (but get your tissues ready before you read I Am Malala.) "

Consider me warned!

message 24: by puppitypup (last edited Dec 08, 2015 03:44PM) (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Would Courtney Milan
Courtney Milan work for Asian Pacific ethnicity?

I found an article by her where she talks about being half-Asian. http://romancenovelsforfeminists.blog...
(Look at the 8th or so paragraph, that starts with "even though the race part has rarely shown up")

message 25: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments puppitypup wrote: "Would Courtney Milan
Courtney Milan work for Asian Pacific ethnicity?

I found an article by her where she talks about being half-Asian. http://romancenovels..."

Totally - and I can't believe I forgot to include her in my list of favorites when I posted the task!

message 26: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1792 comments Verifying Janice Y.K. Lee (The Piano Teacher) for Asian/ Pacific

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Julia wrote: "Verifying Janice Y.K. Lee (The Piano Teacher) for Asian/ Pacific"

Indeed!

message 28: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2110 comments Regarding: Everything, Everything (2015) by Nicola Yoon

"Nicola Yoon grew up in Jamaica (the island) and Brooklyn (part of Long Island). She currently resides in Los Angeles, CA "
She was born in Jamaica and is of African ancestory (at least partially, see photo)
Nicola Yoon

Which category would she fit? Thanks!

message 29: by Melanie (last edited Dec 26, 2015 05:15PM) (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Deedee wrote: "Regarding: Everything, Everything (2015) by Nicola Yoon

"Nicola Yoon grew up in Jamaica (the island) and Brooklyn (part of Long Island). She currently resides in ..."

Doesn't matter *which* non-white category the writers fit, so long as she does. I'll list her as approved.

message 30: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Hi,
I was browsing the Romance - women of colour list and I see The Nanny Plan by Sarah M. Anderson. Am I missing something? I wouldn't be able to use this book correct? Not everything on the list fits the requirement...just want to double check.

message 31: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Hina wrote: "Hi,
I was browsing the Romance - women of colour list and I see The Nanny Plan by Sarah M. Anderson. Am I missing something? I wouldn't be able to use this book correct? Not everyt..."

Right - the lists are guidelines, but are not vetted for accuracy. I don't see any indication that Anderson is non-white, so you'd have to pick someone else (or show me a link proving I'm wrong!)

message 32: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Melanie wrote: "Hina wrote: "Hi,
I was browsing the Romance - women of colour list and I see The Nanny Plan by Sarah M. Anderson. Am I missing something? I wouldn't be able to use this book correc..."

That's what I thought. Thanks for letting me know Melanie.

message 33: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Going with Nalini Singh born in Fiji according to her GR data.

She's new to me as of this season (read #1 in one of her series just a few days ago), so I would be right in assuming I could binge on #2 and #3 for this task?

;) Not that I don't have a list of others.

message 34: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Morgan wrote: "Going with Nalini Singh born in Fiji according to her GR data.

She's new to me as of this season (read #1 in one of her series just a few days ago), so I would be right in assuming ..."

Yep, binge away! Have fun - she's great.

message 35: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I have read two good books, Negroland: A Memoir by Margo Jefferson and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin. I can find nothing other than the pictures on their link that indicate any ethnicity. Can you verify either or both of these? Thanks. (I know--I should have checked before I read the books.)

message 36: by Tiffany (last edited Jan 19, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Tiffany Burke | 1 comments I know that Margo Jefferson and N.K Jemisin are both black women. I have met them both are lovely individuals

message 37: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Donna Jo wrote: "I have read two good books, Negroland: A Memoir by Margo Jefferson and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin. I can find noth..."

Both approved! (Sorry for the delayed response.)

message 38: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Thank you, Melanie.
And thanks, Tiffany, for your affirmation.

message 39: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Jan 29, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Hi, I need your help/approval, please. I'm having a devil of a time trying to find external links.

Both Authors are new to me.

Book 1: Asian -Pacific Chinese
The Third Son by Julie Wu

From Wu's Blog

I interviewed him[her father] again, during the time I was dashing his hopes for my future as a physician by attending graduate school in opera. Before I left his house, my father, a wonderful amateur singer himself, declared that artists were parasites of society.

All Chinese parents just want their children to be doctors, I said derisively.

That’s not true! He said. I didn’t want it for your sister and brother. Only you.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show... about 1/4 page down

Book 2: Native/Indigenous People - Native Hawaiian

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanya_Y...

NOTE: If Book 1 is approved, I won't add the copy of Wu's blog in my post on the Completed Task Do Not Delete Thread, just the link.

Thanks

message 40: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Anne (Booklady) wrote: "Hi, I need your help/approval, please. I'm having a devil of a time trying to find external links."

Both are approved!

message 41: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Whew! Thanks Melanie :-)

message 42: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 737 comments Would Zoraida Córdova work? She was born in Ecuador.

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Hina wrote: "Would Zoraida Córdova work? She was born in Ecuador."

You know it!

message 44: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1145 comments Would these authors work:
Nnedi Okorafor
Octavia E. Butler

message 45: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Yes, both approved!

message 46: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 399 comments Please can you confirm whether Sandra Benitez is ok?

Her GR and wiki pages don't specifically mention her background, but according to wiki she won the 2004 Hispanic Heritage Award for Literature. The awards are described as honoring the contributions of Latinas/os.

message 47: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Lagullande wrote: "Please can you confirm whether Sandra Benitez is ok?

Her GR and wiki pages don't specifically mention her background, but according to wiki she won the 2004 Hispanic Heritage Award ..."

Also approved - y'all are giving me so many great new authors to investigate in this thread!