David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Book Talk > Favorite Reads of 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
What were your favorite books you read this year?

message 3: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Seriously, I don't know what's up with Goodreads sometimes. I don't have the Languages of Middle Earth in my post AT ALL, even when I go to edit it, and its missing a few books I did put in. UGH Here's the missing ones.

The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3) by Leigh Bardugo

message 4: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Dec 01, 2015 07:26AM) (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) My favourite NEW books that are not re-reads:

Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1) by Tiffany Schmidt Great crime novel!
Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor Fantastic end to that series!!!
The White Rose (The Lone City, #2) by Amy Ewing Made me eager for the next book! ^-^
The Lord of Opium (Matteo Alacran #2) by Nancy Farmer Sad that the series was only two books. :(
The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass Was a very interesting concept for a series. Overall very enjoyable and loved, loved how pretty the dresses on the cover were!!!
Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop Vision in Silver (The Others, #3) by Anne Bishop Very interesting series! A little light on the romance for me but I overall really enjoyed it and am eager for the next book!
Going Down in Flames (Going Down in Flames, #1) by Chris Cannon I always love books about dragons and this one was a really good one! :)
The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone, #2) by Lori M. Lee Loved, loved, loved the concept of this book! The second one was a bit of a let down but overall again very good! :D
Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1) by Kelly Keaton I always love books about Greek mythology and I highly recommend this one! :)
Shutdown (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #21.75) by Laurell K. Hamilton Dancing (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #21.5) by Laurell K. Hamilton I was very happy to find these side stories online! I was sad when I first discovered they only existed as e-books but was lucky and found them online! :D
Unremembered (Unremembered, #1) by Jessica Brody Amnesia books can go either way and this was one of the good ones. :)
Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard This was an up and down book for me but overall won me over. ^-^
Shadow Scale (Seraphina, #2) by Rachel Hartman I was disappointed at the ending for this one but the rest of the book was so good that I forgave it.
When by Victoria Laurie Fantastic! Simply fantastic!
Ice Massacre by Tiana Warner Very surprising twist at the end! I'm glad I read it!!! :)

message 5: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Bookbuyer wrote: "My favourite NEW books that are not re-reads:

Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1) by Tiffany Schmidt Great crime novel!
Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor Fantastic end to that series!!!
[bookcov..."

I read Ice Massacre last year and LOVED it. Can't wait for the next one!

message 6: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman - this whole series was phenomenal
Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin - same for this trilogy
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson - and this one
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert - very emotional and beautifully written
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness - can't wait for the movie!
Tidewater A Novel of Pocahontas and the Jamestown Colony by Libbie Hawker - I'm a sucker for Pocahontas stories and this one was awesome
Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1) by Rachel Caine - books. LOVE.
Billy Joel by Fred Schruers - such a good biography
Catherine the Great Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie - this one too! LOTS of research.
The Secret History A Novel of Empress Theodora by Stephanie Thornton - awesome book about someone I never knew existed
Fun Home A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel - wrecked me
Blue is the Warmest Color by Julie Maroh - also wrecked me
Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael Crichton - SO GOOD
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - Love this world!
Owl and the Japanese Circus (Adventures of Owl, #1) by Kristi Charish - snarky MCs ftw
Locke & Key, Vol. 1 Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill - this whole series was fantastic

message 7: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Bookbuyer wrote: "My favourite NEW books that are not re-reads:

[bookcov..."

Red Queen was on my list too! Gods & Monsters I read last year, but it was one of my fave books EVER, it was a great conclusion! Seriously epic!
I've read The One, although it didn't make my favorites list. I still liked it, though.
The rest of those I have not read, I may have to put them on my TBR!

message 8: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman - this whole series was phenomenal
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson - and this one
[bookcover:Molo..."

Some great ones there! I also loved Ink and Bone, although it fell just a bit short for me to make it to my faves list for the year. But it was a great story!

message 9: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie yeah it would make the honorable mentions if this was a Top Ten, but it got 4-4.5 stars from me so it's on there :)

message 10: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "yeah it would make the honorable mentions if this was a Top Ten, but it got 4-4.5 stars from me so it's on there :)"

Jenny wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman - this whole series was phenomenal
[bookcover:The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo|2429..."

I've been meaning to get that so I'm glad that you both liked it. ^-^

message 11: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Jenny wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "My favourite NEW books that are not re-reads:

Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor Fantastic end to that s..."

:)

message 12: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 738 comments Can't believe it's already nearing the end of 2015! Some books I've enjoyed this year:

Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby Yes Please by Amy Poehler The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days, #3) by Susan Ee The Alex Crow by Andrew Smith The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness True Grit by Charles Portis 100 Sideways Miles by Andrew Smith To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han Stand-Off (Winger, #2) by Andrew Smith All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2) by Libba Bray Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman When I Was the Greatest by Jason Reynolds All American Boys by Jason Reynolds

message 13: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "My favourite NEW books that are not re-reads:

Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor Fantastic end to that s..."

I'm not actually sure there is one. O.o It left off as if there would be but I don't see any indication that it's a series or that it will be turned into one. :(

message 14: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Can't believe it's already nearing the end of 2015! Some books I've enjoyed this year:

Icefall by Matthew J. KirbyYes Please by Amy PoehlerThe Bone Clocks by David Mitchell[bookcover:Cha..."

Seraphina is one of my fav's as well but I it was a re-read for me so I didn't count it. ^-^

message 15: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 949 comments Gonna have to think about this one. While I do, I'm dedicating this post to my surprise book of the year

Sidekicks by Jack D. Ferraiolo

It wasn't my favorite read, but the one that took me by surprise. I did not expect it to be what it was, which was amazing. It looks like a little kid's superhero story, and it just isn't. It's decidedly YA, up to and including sexual awkwardness. If you search for it on Goodreads, it's only the third book with the title. I only picked it up because I still needed an S for the ABC challenge and saw it and said what the hell? should be a fast, easy read.
Ended up being a 5-star for me. I've talked 2 others into reading it, both loved it.

I highly recommend this book.

message 16: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Can't believe it's already nearing the end of 2015! Some books I've enjoyed this year:

Icefall by Matthew J. KirbyYes Please by Amy PoehlerThe Bone Clocks by David Mitchell[bookcover:Cha..."

Some good ones on there that I can't wait to read!

message 17: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Tommy wrote: "Gonna have to think about this one. While I do, I'm dedicating this post to my surprise book of the year

Sidekicks by Jack D. Ferraiolo

It wasn't my favorite read, but the one that took me by surp..."

Cool Tommy! Sounds like something I would like :)

message 18: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments I can't believe the year is almost over! I'll have to consider what my favorite books of 2015 are!

message 19: by Storm (new)

Storm Arashi (stormarashi) | 1130 comments Contaminated (Contaminated, #1) by Em Garner The Heir (The Selection, #4) by Kiera Cass The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken Famous Last Words by Katie Alender The Third Twin by C.J. Omololu Shutter by Courtney Alameda Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1) by Anna Banks Vivian Apple at the End of the World (Vivian Apple, #1) by Katie Coyle Vivian Versus America (Vivian Apple, #2) by Katie Coyle The Schwa Was Here (Antsy Bonano, #1) by Neal Shusterman Hungry by H.A. Swain

All of these. Just... All of these were fantastic

message 20: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

The Darkest Minds! So good! And I did like The Heir much better than the first 3 books in the series!

message 21: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I just finished Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo and have to add it to my favorites list!! LOVED it!

message 23: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Black Feathers (Black Dawn, #1) by Joseph D'Lacey
The Book of the Crowman (Black Dawn #2) by Joseph D'Lacey
Syncing Forward by W. Lawrence
Killing Katie (An Affair With Murder) (Volume 1) by Brian Spangler
Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi
Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1) by Octavia E. Butler
The Memory Box by Eva Lesko Natiello
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
Fahrenheit 451 (for some reason proper book link doesn't come up)

message 24: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Kynndra wrote: "Air Awakens (Air Awakens, #1) by Elise KovaFire Falling (Air Awakens, #2) by Elise KovaThe Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams ChimaGolden Son (Red Rising Trilogy, #2) by Pierce BrownThe Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh[bookcover:The Long Way ..."

Magonia was so good!

message 25: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Nancy wrote: "Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Black Feathers (Black Dawn, #1) by Joseph D'Lacey
The Book of the Crowman (Black Dawn #2) by Joseph D'Lacey
Syncing Forward by W. Lawrence..."

LOVED Ready Player One!

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Oh gosh! Great thread! I'll have to think about this one and come back with my list. ;)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Kynndra wrote: "Air Awakens (Air Awakens, #1) by Elise KovaFire Falling (Air Awakens, #2) by Elise KovaThe Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams ChimaGolden Son (Red Rising Trilogy, #2) by Pierce BrownThe Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh[bookcover:The Long Way ..."

Sleeping Giants!!!!

message 28: by Janie (new)

Janie (sj_ellis11) Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2) by Stephanie Perkins Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey Faking It (Losing It, #2) by Cora Carmack Perfected (Perfected, #1) by Kate Jarvik Birch Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3) by Stephanie Perkins Split Second (Pivot Point, #2) by Kasie West

^^All my 5 star ratings :)

message 30: by Wanderlust_Wanz (new)

Wanderlust_Wanz | 1 comments A Darker Shade of Magic (A Darker Shade of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Gathering Darkness (Falling Kingdoms, #3) by Morgan Rhodes Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves, #1) by Morgan Rhodes The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2) by Mary E. Pearson The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1) by Helene Wecker Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas Legacy of Kings (Blood of Gods and Royals, #1) by Eleanor Herman Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Wolf By Wolf (Wolf By Wolf, #1) by Ryan Graudin Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Frozen Tides (Falling Kingdoms, #4) by Morgan Rhodes

Books I thoroughly enjoy so far in 2015!!^^

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Leigh wrote: "Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3) by Jennifer EstepThe After House by Michael Phillip CashWinter Moon by Mercedes LackeyIced (Fever, #6) by Karen Marie MoningLight My Fire (Dragon Kin, #7) by G.A. Aiken[bookcover:American Sniper: The Autobiogra..."

Yay for Magic Breaks and The Ask The Answer!

message 33: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Sarah Jane wrote: "Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2) by Stephanie PerkinsSpirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle MeadThe 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick YanceyFaking It (Losing It, #2) by Cora CarmackPerfected (Perfected, #1) by Kate Jarvik Birch[bookcover:Bloodlines|8709..."

Loved Isla and Lola!

message 34: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Leigh wrote: "Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3) by Jennifer EstepThe After House by Michael Phillip CashWinter Moon by Mercedes LackeyIced (Fever, #6) by Karen Marie MoningLight My Fire (Dragon Kin, #7) by G.A. Aiken[bookcover:American Sniper: The Autobiogra..."

WOW Leigh, you had a lot of good ones this year!

message 35: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Some great fantasy WL!

I just realized I never put An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir on my list, and it should be there!

message 36: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

WOW! 2 of my recommends made your list Heidi! Out of the Easy and Keeping the Castle :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Jenny wrote: "WOW! 2 of my recommends made your list Heidi! Out of the Easy and Keeping the Castle :)"

Yuppers! Thanks Jenny :)

message 38: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 403 comments Jenny wrote: "Leigh wrote: "Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3) by Jennifer EstepThe After House by Michael Phillip CashWinter Moon by Mercedes LackeyIced (Fever, #6) by Karen Marie MoningLight My Fire (Dragon Kin, #7) by G.A. Aiken[bookcover:American Sniper: ..."

I did and the year isnt done yet.

message 39: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1) by Barry Lyga , Game (Jasper Dent, #2) by Barry Lyga , Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas , Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer , Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer , The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3) by Rick Yancey , The Final Descent (The Monstrumologist, #4) by Rick Yancey , The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness , UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman , UnSouled (Unwind, #3) by Neal Shusterman , UnDivided (Unwind, #4) by Neal Shusterman I think that's all of them! :D

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments All great picks Harlee!

message 41: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments Thanks Heidi! I've read a lot of great books this year and it was kind of hard to pick favorites lol

message 42: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie oh great choices Harlee! I plan on starting the Jasper Dent series in 2016 (and the Monstrumologist and Knife, finally)

message 43: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Bookbuyer wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "My favourite NEW books that are not re-reads:

[bookcover:Dreams of Gods & Monster..."

I talked to Tiana after I read it and she said she's working on a sequel ;)

message 44: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "My favourite NEW books that are not re-reads:

[bookcover:Dreams..."

YAY! I'm wondering if she'll continue with the end twist or not. ^-^

message 46: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments @Ashley I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! :)

message 47: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Bookbuyer wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "My favourite NEW books that are not re-reads:

Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1) by Tiffany Schmidt G..."

She better, that was my favorite part! LOL

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Oda wrote: "The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning, #1) by John StephensCold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1) by Jennifer EstepChantress (Chantress, #1) by Amy Butler GreenfieldCharmed (The Witch Hunter, #2) by Michelle KrysHounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin HearneEndgame (Night School, #5) by C.J. Daugherty[bookcov..."

I loved several of these too - including Ready Player One, Emerald Atlas (must listen to the audio because Jim Dale narrates :), Aerenden, and Aristotle. Good picks!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "oh great choices Harlee! I plan on starting the Jasper Dent series in 2016 (and the Monstrumologist and Knife, finally)"

Ashley the Monstrumologist and Jasper Dent were both great on audio. I read Knife in print because it was not on audio at the time but one of my favorite narrators narrates it so I am sure it is great.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "Oda wrote: "The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning, #1) by John StephensCold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1) by Jennifer EstepChantress (Chantress, #1) by Amy Butler GreenfieldCharmed (The Witch Hunter, #2) by Michelle KrysHounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne[bookcover:Endgame|17978..."

I first thought, I hadent read any good books,this year. Turns out I read a lot of them :D

« previous 1