Start by marking “Winter Moon (Walker Papers, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Winter Moon (Walker Papers, #1.5)

Winter Moon (Walker Papers #1.5)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  2,883 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
This collection of science fiction & fantasy tales includes 'Moontide' by Mercedes Lackey, 'The Heat of the Moon' by Tanith Lee & 'Banshee Cries' by C.E. Murphy.
Published November 1st 2005 by Luna Books

To ask other readers questions about Winter Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Moon

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderMagic Study by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderCast in Shadow by Michelle SagaraSea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
LUNA Books
124 books — 166 voters
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareThe Long Winter by Laura Ingalls WilderSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonThe Winter's Tale by William ShakespeareUncle Fred in the Springtime by P.G. Wodehouse
The Four Seasons
285 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

The Flooze
Being a fan of Murphy's Walker Papers series, I've suffered from grave confusion throughout the last two books, thinking: What battle with a banshee? When did Billy almost die? WHAT is the deal with Joanne's mom? What in the middle realms is this lady talking about?

Some digging uncovered the novella "Banshee Cries" which Murphy labels Walker Papers 1.5. (Don't you hate it when authors make shorts required reading?)

This was a worthwhile addition to the series, exploring the reasons behind her mo
Mike
I recently found this book on the shelves of my local used bookstore. Of course I bought it; I'm a huge Mercedes Lackey fan, and I was pretty sure, standing there in the store, that I'd read some of Tanith Lee's stuff, too. And then I read it. It wasn't bad. But...how to put this...?

I'm glad I got it at half price.

With collections like this, I prefer to rate the individual stories and then average their scores, so this review is for the stories themselves rather than the book.

“Moontide,” by Mer
Myridian
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book consists of three novellas by three different authors, Mercedes Lackey, Tanith Lee, and C E Murphy. None of the three really spoke to me in the way I was hoping for.

Lackey had been one of my favorite authors as an adolescent and I was looking forward to a little bit of guilty pleasure, escapist reading. Unfortunately the characters didn't feel well drawn out enough for me and too much happened for it to be a satisfyingly described novella. It is true that by the end of the story I wan
Althea Ann
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
*** "Moontide" - Mercedes Lackey
If you're a fan of Lackey's work in general, you're bound to like this. A young woman, Moira, is summoned home from her fosterage by her estranged father, Lord of a cold sea-keep. Little does he know she's been trained in spycraft and assassination at the King's court. But Moira guesses that her father has some plot up his sleeve, and his plans might be worse than just marrying her off to a cruel pirate.
The plot progresses without any real surprises, and the gener
Djaz
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved the first two stories but couldn't get into the third. Connecting with the third story in this collection is hard without having read the novel it draws characters from. Despite that, the female characters are strong women who have amazing adventures, and I'm glad authors craft women I admire.
Kate
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
This collection of three books was a mixed bag. The first story was fine. A little predictable and cutesy, but fine. The second story was wonderful. Tanith Lee has a fabulous way of creating dreamscapes in her writing. The third story was so bad I didn't bother to finish the book. All in all I'd suggest reading the middle story and ditching the other two.
Samantha
May 05, 2007 rated it it was ok
I bought this book to read the story by C.E. Murphy, which is part of her Walker Papers series. I enjoyed that story quite a bit. Of the other two stories, I only read one of them, the one by Mercedes Lackey, which was okay. I didn't even try to read the one by Tanith Lee because I know that her writing doesn't agree with me.
Chichipio
Aug 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Only read Banshee Cries by C.E. Murphy. I think this is the perfect length for her stories. Same amount of plot and character development, less than half the whining and other annoying things. Definitely better than the second and third full length books of the series.
colleen
Nov 17, 2007 rated it liked it
read 12.30.05
I liked the Walker Papers story best but the other two were also good.
Mireille
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I only read the C.E. Murphy story. I was not interested in the other 2 stories; I just needed my fix until I could get my hands on the next "Walker" papers!
Bonnie Jennings
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Not many anthologies where I like all the stories - this one I loved all three.
Shandra
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is really three novellas, or maybe one short story and two novellas? (I'm not sure if the Mercedes Lackey story is long enough to be a true novella.) I picked it up because of the CE Murphy story, as I'd noticed a gap in my knowledge of the Walker Papers series, which I recently finished. This fills in a bit of that, which was nice, even if I'd already inferred it from the books. I do think it would be hard for people to just jump into this novella without having read the first Walker ...more
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
What better unifying symbol for a collection of fantasy romance novellas than the moon—that silver disk so often associated with women and female spirituality? Likewise, what better symbol if the publishing house just happens to be Luna Books, the fantasy imprint of Harlequin. In what seems an almost too-perfect fit, one of its November 2005 releases is Winter’s Moon, a collection of three novellas.

I’ll confess that it wasn’t the title that caught my eye on this volume. It was the authors, in p
Tracy
Only Banshee Cries
Elizabeth Richardson
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novellas
Winter's Moon is comprised of three novellas that each explore stories focusing on the power of the full moon. That powerful thread weaving them together still allowed for three completely different, yet enjoyable stories and the book made for a fairly quick read.

Moontide, Mercedes Lackey (4 stars)
Heart of the Moon, Tannith Lee (5 stars)
Bansee Cries, C.E. Murphy (3 stars)

----------

Moontide (4 Stars)

Moontide was a charming, quick mystery with fantasy elements. The first pages came across as a bit
Kathy Davie
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Three short stories of the supernatural and the moon during winter.

Series:
"Moontide" (Five Hundred Kingdoms, 1.5)
"Banshee Cries" (Walker Papers, 1.5)

The Stories
Mercedes Lackey's "Moontide" is mostly well-written with a clever young woman who takes charge of her own destiny and thwarts the kingdom's enemies. I have one niggle about it. If Moira only has a few capsules to contact the countess, why is she using them up so fast? I do love that she doesn't care about the Fool's deformity!
"Do not thin
Cherie
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
"Moontide" by Mercedes Lackey
This is my first Lackey story even though I've got her Diana Tregarde mysteries waiting here on Mt. TBR that I haven't read yet. In this novella, Lackey takes us to the land of her Five Hundred Kingdoms and tells the story of a sea keep's daughter who's been sent off to fostering for most of her young adult life. While there, she was trained as an assassin and one of the "Gray Ladies". Her skills come in handy when she returns home to find her father entertaining a p
Kelly
A compilation of three short stories by three popular fantasy novelists. All three stories have the similar theme of the power and purpose of the moon.
In Lackey's "Moontide", a daughter returns home to spy on her father for the king only to find her father corrupted by a dangerous pirate lord. She finds herself working along side a jester with whom, in the end, she falls in love.
The story is very Lackey-esque, with a lot of detail put into the surroundings and a well-built back story. However,
Tracy Riva
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of three stories, titled Winter Moon by Mercedes Lackey, Tanith Lee and C.E. Murphy. All three were romances, with varying touches of fantasy. In some cases only a few characters or situations were truly magical, but in others nearly the entire story was fantasy. All three of the novellas were very interesting. They are Moontide by Mercedes Lackey, The Heart of the Moon by Tanith Lee and Banshee Cries by Catherine Murphy.

I liked the fact that none of the novellas
Rachel
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The first story by Mercedes Lackey is meant to take place in her world of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, minus the power of The Tradition to force things a certain way. The only clue the I found that could indicate that this story would fit in the Five Hundred Kingdoms is the presence of the Fool. Other than that, it simply read as a good fantasy plotline, with equal parts romance, intrigue, and adventure. The story wrapped up nicely, with no loose ends, but I would love to read a full novel about t ...more
Janice (Janicu)
Jun 24, 2008 rated it liked it
I picked this up because I love Tanith Lee, and I've also read and enjoyed Mercedes Lackey's work, so the idea of 3 novellas centering around strong young women, magic, and the winter moon was interesting. I'd never read anything by C.E Murphy before, but I wasn't disappointed. The first story, "Moontide" by Lackey, centers around Moira, a young girl summoned back home to a sea keep by her father from an unusual finishing school. Her father expects a demure young woman, but Moira has hidden stee ...more
Shannon
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Moontide by Mercedes Lackey **** An estranged daughter is summoned home to be used for his purposes. Her father is unaware that the child he sent away has become a savy, strong woman, with plans of her own. - This never felt like a short story, the characters and setting were well developed and for the most part, it flowed along at a good pace.
Heart of the Moon by Tanith Lee ** A warriro woman is sent to a mystical island, but is it for penance or peace? - I couldn't find anything endearing abou
Suz
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was a collection of three writers - Mercedes Lackey, Tanith Lee, and C.E. Murphy. They all had the moon as a theme to tie them all in together. I got this book because of Lee (in fact, I didn't realize it was three novellas).

Moontide, the first novella, is Lackey's, and I quite liked it. Useless girl-child is sent away by her misogynist father, gets fostered/raised by an awesome woman who trains her ladies to be more than they seem. She uncovers a plot, ends up taking everything for h
Alice
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Three stories.
Mercedes Lackey - Moontide - [Short Story (longish)] Set in the 500 Kingdoms but "the tradition" isn't involved.
Main Characters: Moira Ferson - the daughter of the Lord of the Sea-Keep of Highclere and one of the Countess Viridian's Grey Ladies (whom I like from the very begining. and Kedric one of the King's Fools, as well as Moira's father, Lord Ferson, and the Pirate Prince Maasid.
Moira and Kedric must counter the actions of Lord Ferson and Prince Maasid to prevent treason and
Denise
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers
Mercedes Lackey's novella, Moontide, is placed in her Five Hundred Kingdoms world. Her protagonist, Moira na Ferson, is called home from fostering by her father and finds herself plunged into a situation that forces herself to lay claim to her own small magics. Treason beneath the winter moon and an unexpected partnership. -- I've been a fan of Mercedes Lackey for years and enjoyed this new novella immensely.

Tanith Lee's The Heart of the Moon is the tale of a cursed warrior priestess. Forced to
Summer
Apr 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
This is a book of three novellas, one each by three authors. I got it to read C.E. Murphy's story, Banshee Cries, and then read the other two as well to try out those authors, both of whom I've heard good things about.

I think traditional fantasy is just not so much my thing. I hesitate to say that, because my brain throws up all these "hey, yes you do!" and points out all sorts of fantasy that I love, and that I grew up loving, but none of them are really what most think of when they think strai
graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst)
I've only read the second story by Tanith Lee so far because I wanted to read at least one of the books in Lackey's Five Hundred Kingdom series before I got to that one. For the first fifty pages, The Heart of the Moon was slow going, but after that it got progressively better and interesting. I think it would be nice to read about Cliro's burgeoning powers. I'd give it a four out of five.

Moontide by Mercedes Lackey was an absolutely wonderful story! After reading The Fairy Godmother, I went on
Meredith
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I am going to review each of the short stories separately.

Moontide by Mercedes Lackey
This the short story that I wanted to read of the three. I've read a lot of her books and this story was good. I liked that is subtle and not over the top when it comes to magic. To me reading this one was worth the book (though I did check it out from the library, so the only payment was time).

The Heart of the Moon by Tanith Lee
I haven't read anything by Tanith before (to my knowledge) and I won't be likely to
Andrea
As with many short story collections, this was a mixed bag. I am big fan of Mercedes Lackey and her story “Moontide” had all the elements of her classic writing – adventure, strong female character and a little unexpected love. I adore love stories that are sort of incidental to saving the day and this story was a great read. Tanith Lee’s offering “The Heart of the Moon” was much more cerebral, exploring themes of forgiveness of self and absolution. I liked the more dream-like and mystical eleme ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #213 - Winter Moon 1 1 Dec 19, 2014 09:03PM
Goodreads Librari...: Yet More Fixes 3 34 Mar 29, 2012 05:13PM
  • No Dominion (Walker Papers #7.5)
  • Silver's Lure
  • Rhiana (Changelings, #3)
  • Sword and Sorceress VII
  • The Destined Queen (Umbria, #2)
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Walker Papers (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)
  • A Garrison Report: Magic Hath An Element
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3)
  • Rabbit Tricks (Walker Papers #3.5)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • Forgotten but by a Few
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)

“it took Coyote a very long time indeed to show up, or that he looked distracted when he did. How a dog could look distracted, I didn’t know, but there you had it.
“I’m not,” he said for the umpteenth time, “a dog.”
5 likes
“She hissed, right there behind my ear, and I had the horrible idea she was spitting maggots into my hair. Why maggots were a problem when I was about to be dead, I didn’t know, but the idea completely grossed me out.
“In the womb I heard you die, for no one lives when a banshee cries.”
I wasn’t just going to die. I was going to be rhymed to death. That simply wasn’t fair.”
5 likes