Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2016 discussion

Challenge Levels > Mr. Bennet's Library 101+ Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,613 (2613 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 52 53

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 1167 comments Mod
Mr. Bennet says, “For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?”

Please post updates in separate comments. Books and book cover links may be utilized by clicking the 'add book/author' link above the comment box.

message 2: by Talia (new)

Talia (kneyda) | 217 comments Sophia wrote: "Mr. Bennet says, “For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?”

Please post updates in separate comments. Books and book cover links may be utilized by ..."

I am aiming for Mr Bennet again!

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Look at you go, Talia! As much as you read, I don't even think adding a few more levels will hold you back. :)

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika (eureeka75) | 167 comments I am aiming for Mr Bennet level again, since I will be over 100 JA books by the time this yr ends. Besides, I still have a huge TBR list that keeps growing!!! LOL

message 5: by Sophia (new)

That growing TBR pile...groan. Woohoo, go for it, Erika. Look forward to seeing you go the distance.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (vesper1931) | 19 comments I will be trying for Mr Bennet again - so far in 2015 I have read over 100 JAFF books, a couple hundred unpublished fan fiction stories and at least 150 crime books - I was hoping to sleep in 2016 but I can't resist the challenge. Does mean I will have to buy some books next year.

message 7: by Sophia (new)

Sleep is overrated anyway, Susan. LOL!

message 8: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya Susan wrote: "I will be trying for Mr Bennet again - so far in 2015 I have read over 100 JAFF books, a couple hundred unpublished fan fiction stories and at least 150 crime books - I was hoping to sleep in 2016 ..."

One of my favorite quotes is by George R. R. Martin,

"Sleep is good, he said, but books are better."

message 9: by Sophia (new)

Oh, I like that quote!

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Fitzwilliam Darcy An Honourable Man
is free today on kindle Unlimited.

message 11: by Talia (new)

Talia (kneyda) | 217 comments Happy New Year! I will be rereading a lot of books this year I think. I started already with:

Memory: Volume 3, How Far We Have Come: A Tale Of Pride And Prejudice: Loved this series. I finished the other 2 last week.

Dearest Friends: A Jane Austen Inspired Novel: Is the sequel out yet?! I need it! Jane! Mary! What will happen?!

message 12: by Sophia (new)

Haha! Yes, I need that sequel, too, Talia.

I loved the Memory series. It was one of my first JAFF adventures in reading.

Hopefully the rereads will be as good the second time. I'm planning to re-read P&P in the annotated version.

message 13: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Those sound wonderful! The sequel to DF is in
the works..

message 14: by Talia (new)

Talia (kneyda) | 217 comments Sophia wrote: "Haha! Yes, I need that sequel, too, Talia.

I loved the Memory series. It was one of my first JAFF adventures in reading.

Hopefully the rereads will be as good the second time. I'm planning to re-..."

I have a question. Each notification I get from goodreads says: "There may be more new replies, but this is the only notification you will receive until you visit the discussion again." There is no quote from what was actually posted just that message again and again. I checked my settings and I am set for individual emails from posting. Is there a way to change this?

message 15: by Talia (new)

Talia (kneyda) | 217 comments Claudine wrote: "Those sound wonderful! The sequel to DF is in
the works.."

Yes, but I need it like yesterday. It is too good! I got Rumours & Recklessness: A Pride and Prejudice Variation to read after reading your blog post. Thank you for the recommendation!

message 16: by Sophia (last edited Jan 02, 2016 05:15PM) (new)

Sounds like something Sheila asked me. I'm not getting that stuff, Talia, so I'm thinking Good Reads IT department must be doing some tweaking of things that is messing stuff up. Maybe it will fix itself in a few days. But I only know how to change the settings with in the personal page account by editing my personal stuff which is probably where you go to adjust the settings, too.

message 17: by Talia (new)

Talia (kneyda) | 217 comments Sophia wrote: "Sounds like something Sheila asked me. I'm not getting that stuff, Claudine, so I'm thinking Good Reads IT department must be doing some tweaking of things that is messing stuff up. Maybe it will f..."

It never happened on the old list but has happened since I joined this list so it has been every message for a while. I will see if I can figure it out. :)

message 18: by Sophia (new)

I am sorry that its being annoying, Talia. It's not doing it to me so I'm not sure what's causing it. I hope it irons out for you since it sounds annoying.

message 19: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Yes, but I need it like yesterday. It is too good! I got Rumours & Recklessness: A Pride and Prejudice Variation to read after reading your blog post. Thank you for the recommendation!

You're welcome!! Is this one, R&R, really good?

message 20: by Talia (new)

Talia (kneyda) | 217 comments Sophia wrote: "I am sorry that its being annoying, Talia. It's not doing it to me so I'm not sure what's causing it. I hope it irons out for you since it sounds annoying."

I fixed it. It happens if you set it to individual emails instead of "all". "All" is not digest that is digest.

message 21: by Sophia (new)

Now, I learned something, too. Thanks, Talia.

And good that its no longer a problem.

message 22: by Talia (new)

Talia (kneyda) | 217 comments Sophia wrote: "Now, I learned something, too. Thanks, Talia.

And good that its no longer a problem."

Thank you so much for having the group again. I appreciate how much work you put into it.

message 23: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments Claudine wrote: "Yes, but I need it like yesterday. It is too good! I got Rumours & Recklessness: A Pride and Prejudice Variation to read after reading your blog post. Thank you for the recommendation!

You're welc..."

I loved it...

message 24: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments You loved it Barbara?

message 25: by Sophia (new)

Talia wrote: "Sophia wrote: "Now, I learned something, too. Thanks, Talia.

And good that its no longer a problem."

Thank you so much for having the group again. I appreciate how much work you put into it."

You're welcome! I feel like the one who should be thanking everyone for joining me. It makes reading so much more fun to have people to share it with.

message 26: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 146 comments Claudine wrote: "You loved it Barbara?"

Don't ask me details, lol, been reading too many P&P variations. But, I gave it 5 stars, so I must have loved it! But, I know I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

message 27: by Sheila (last edited Jan 02, 2016 09:08PM) (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and will post a review tomorrow. I cannot believe that with all the WONDERFUL variations out there that Hollywood chose a book with no redeeming qualities in my opinion. About 90% is Jane Austen's canon. There is not even a GREAT adventure against the living dead/the zombies. It is canon with a few words added here or there, a sentence, a paragraph. Some of Elizabeth's characteristics are changed - she is now blood thirsty when affronted by someone. Some words spoken are out of context and everyone seems to ignore them. OK I have to save the rest of my comments for an official review - tomorrow. Way over priced as it is not creative at all.

message 28: by Talia (new)

Talia (kneyda) | 217 comments Sheila wrote: "I just finished reading P&P and Zombies and will post a review tomorrow. I cannot believe that with all the WONDERFUL variations out there that Hollywood chose a book with no redeeming qualities in..."

I preferred Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. ;)

message 29: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Only read this one b/c of the movie being released next month. I don't usually like to read of these creatures in JA books. Although Mary Lydon Simonsen did a really good job with werewolves in Mr. Darcy's Bite

message 30: by Sophia (new)

Bummer that the zombie book wasn't more original and not just tacked onto P&

message 31: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Lynne | 21 comments Well, guys, the title of it is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. That pretty much says it, doesn't it? I think I'm probably more forgiving because I read the compilation before I found JAFF. At that time I had not read a variation, so it being canon was fine with me. Plus, my husband bought it for me. He has his The Walking Dead collection, so this was like a marriage of two worlds for us. I'm so excited about the movie. I just know I'm going to end up shouting at the screen.

message 32: by Sophia (new)

LOL! And this is true, Pamela. Actually, I have enjoyed several blended genre Austenesque reads including werewolves, vampires, ghosts, and magic with P&P and a few others including one that inserted the vampires into the original P&P text. Still on the fence whether I'll get to a zombie one as that is the paranormal blend that squigs me out the most. :)

message 33: by Paige (new)

Paige | 32 comments Sophia wrote: "LOL! And this is true, Pamela. Actually, I have enjoyed several blended genre Austenesque reads including werewolves, vampires, ghosts, and magic with P&P and a few others including one that insert..."

I find zombies off-putting, myself, too, but I know they are currently a huge cultural phenom. I am okay with other paranormal blends. For some reason, I do want to see the PP&Z movie, even though I don't want to read the book. I hope it won't be too gruesome and disappointing for me. I am hoping for a bit of stylized camp. :-)

message 34: by Sophia (new)

We are in the same camp, Paige. I am curious about the movie and less so about the books.

message 35: by Ceri (new)

Ceri | 224 comments I feel the same about P&P&Z as you do, Sheila. I read it a few years ago. It's an interesting idea for a mash-up, zombies in a very polite and rigid society rather than a dystopian style setting like you'd expect, and as a book it was ok, though I found myself skimming huge chunks of it as I read it not long after a Pride & Prejudice reread and a lot of the text is Austen's. It seems unlikely that so little changes, but I suppose that is part of the joke, the contrast of a polite book set with savage zombies. It seems a shame to me that this is the book they chose to adapt when there are things out there which as so much more original and inventive, but I would still quite like to see the film.

message 36: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Yes, the movie looks amazing and I think they chose it because zombies in general are so big right now! I wish someone at BBC would already just write a series titled "The Darcys of Pemberley," and let us have a dose of brilliantly gorgeous JAFF every week on TV!!!

message 37: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Join me at Just Jane 1813 for a yearlong journey into Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." The more, the merrier, as I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and ideas!

http://justjane1813.com/2016/01/03/we...

message 38: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) I thought P&P&Z was what in Hollywood they call “high concept.” Sadly, high concept all too often translates as “one-joke,” and for me that’s what the book was. I giggled over the first 30 pages or so and then got over it.

I don’t object to its being “canon”—the humor lies, as Ceri points out, in the juxtaposition of polite society and the mayhem. I thought the first trailer for the movie played on that juxtaposition really well, the official trailer much less so. Still and all, have to see the movie—with a bunch of Austen-loving friends.

message 39: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Claudine wrote: "Yes, the movie looks amazing and I think they chose it because zombies in general are so big right now! I wish someone at BBC would already just write a series titled "The Darcys of Pemberley," and..."

I am so with you there. Last year was the 10 year anniversary of the last P&P movie adaption (with Keira Knightley) and I was wishing for a new version (maybe with David Gandy as Darcy). So I almost got my wish. I am sure the paranormal craze (Twilight, Vampire Diaries, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, etc.) is hugely responsible for this choice but I could go for the Hallmark Channel adapting some more of these books. They are showing Unleashing Mr. Darcy on January 23rd so why not do more of that?

I will see the movie as "I must have my share of the conversation".

message 40: by Claudine (new)

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 | 224 comments Yes Sheila and Abigail, I want my share in the conversation too! I will see the movie as soon as it opens and Teri's movie looks good too.

But I need a series!! Someone has to write one for us!! I need a long and winding piece of JAFF to watch over and over and to discuss with all of my JAFF friends!! If only I could write a screenplay... Andrew Davies, can you hear me?

message 41: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Amen, sister, amen!!! LOL

message 42: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments Sheila wrote: "I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and will post a review tomorrow. I cannot believe that with all the WONDERFUL variations out there that Hollywood chose a book..."

Do give a try to the prequel and the sequel, though! (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After). They are from a different author, Steven Hockensmith, and are hilarious!

message 43: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments I did read the prequel and posted a review. I am 80% done the sequel and it is the best of the 3 and I plan to finish it today and will post a review.

message 44: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 70 comments Sheila wrote: "I did read the prequel and posted a review. I am 80% done the sequel and it is the best of the 3 and I plan to finish it today and will post a review."

Yes, the sequel is my favourite, too. :)

message 45: by Paige (new)

Paige | 32 comments Sheila wrote: "Amen, sister, amen!!! LOL"

I second that amen!

message 47: by Sophia (new)

You are so tempting me to set aside my aversion to zombies with that review, Sheila. :)

message 48: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments Like I said to Claudine..."I must have my share of the conversation" so that when the movie is released I will be able to comment half-intelligently! LOL

I would not be reading about zombies except for the movie.

message 49: by Sophia (new)

That would definitely be my big motivation. I watched the previews and decided that I will have to see it at home if I do see it so I can hide under my afghan if I freak out. Haha!

message 50: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (sheilalmajczan) | 700 comments If it follows the book there is nothing really scary about it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 52 53