What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > YA: People trapped in a room or being required to follow directions.

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 860 comments My 13 year old daughter is looking for books with characters who have been trapped in a room or building and are trying to escape and/or are being required to follow odd directions.

If anyone watches Pretty Little Liars, she's getting this idea from the last (2?) episode(s) of the 5th season where the characters have been kidnapped and brought into a locked building and are being required to act in certain ways.

She'd be looking for YA books, with either male of female protagonist.

I've suggested or she's read
Maze Runner
Variant
Gone
Wither

Thanks.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
13 Little Blue Envelopes YA, but I think more for the older teen. (view spoiler)

message 5: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 277 comments I'm showing my age, but a few by Lois Duncan and Joan Lowery Nixon would fit. Down a Dark Hall has teens trapped in a boarding school, they are being made to follow directions in their sleep. The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore is a kidnapping. The Name of the Game Was Murder is a teen take on an Agatha Christie locked room mystery classic.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "House of Stairs"

Yes! I second this! It's on my TBR list. :)

message 7: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 860 comments Thanks for the suggestions. I too have been wanting to read House of Stairs, but alas it's not at our library.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37540 comments Mod
Shanna_redwind wrote: "Thanks for the suggestions. I too have been wanting to read House of Stairs, but alas it's not at our library."

They have used copies at Amazon for $.01 plus 3.99 shipping. Or even cheaper Abebooks for $3.48 free shipping.

message 11: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 73 comments I third House of Stairs. An old book, (I read it in the 70s) but it is creepy as heck.

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valeriekemp) | 273 comments When You Reach Me involves following instructions but she might feel it's too young for her.

message 13: by Yue (new)

Yue | 137 comments Liar Game, Volume 1 is a manga and she will love it.

message 14: by Kaion (new)

message 15: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2037 comments "Instructions" is a short story by Bob Leman - I'm not sure it's online though.

message 16: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 860 comments THanks for the suggestions. Looking into a bunch of them.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen | 262 comments Battle Royale by Koushun Takami - because some kids are stuck on an island and told to fight to the death

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - because some kids are stuck in an arena and told to fight to the death

Ender's Game - because some kids are sent to a space station to train to fight aliens and they rise through the ranks by playing capture the flag type games against one another

The City of Ember - because a city full of people is stuck in darkness and their resources are running out, which compels a few kids to look for the way out

Coraline - because a little girl gets stuck in another world behind the walls of her new home and she has to do whatever "Mother" says

The Magicians by Lev Grossman - because some kids go to a Magic school and in the second half of the book get stuck in a world reminiscent of Narnia, the setting of a popular children's book

Princess Acadamy by Shannon Hale - because girls from all over the kingdom are rounded up against their wills and trained to be princesses so the kingdom's prince can choose one of them as a bride

Howl's Moving Castle - because a girl gets a curse stuck on her and has to live in a weird magician's house to get it off and the magic there seems to have a mind of its own

Ella Enchnated - because a girl has a gift bestowed upon her from birth that makes her have to obey any command

A Wrinkle A Time - because a brother and sister end up in a weird world where the bad guy makes every one live in a very automated and controlled environment

The Giver & Anthem - because in both a young boy lives in a world where everything is very controlled and he starts to think that things could be different

The 100 by Kass Morgan - because a group of kids are sent to Earth who was thought to be uninhabitable and the rest of their people are stuck on a space station over the Earth's surface with dwindling resources

Tom's Midnight Garden - because the protagonist is stuck living at his aunt and uncle's for a while and at night he discovers a garden that isn't supposed to exist

The Westing Game - sixteen people are stuck somewhere and tasked with figuring out a murder, the one who figures it out inherits the dead man's fortune

The Egypt Game - because a few kids find a hideout and make a game based on Egypt with a lot of rules

Egg Monsters from Mars by R.L. Stine (from the Goosebumps series) - because a girl gets stuck in a mad scientist's lab

The Comet's Curse - because some kids are on a space station that is doing intergalactic travel

Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass - because a young girl is stuck in an odd world where there are actually no rules (at least not any that make sense)

If your daughter is not in high school I would be careful letting her read The Magicians or Battle Royale.

message 19: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (conservio) | 97 comments I second pretty much all of Karen's list.
If she's allowed to read...., well dark novels I'd recommend Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews. It's about 4 kids locked in an attic for about 4-5 years. However, it is quite a dark novel with themes of child abuse and incest. I read it when I was about 14.

message 20: by Stevie (new)

Stevie Fill | 7 comments The Forbidden Game by LJ Smith - this one is about a group of teens who are trapped in a game by the "Prince of Shadows" and they all have to face their fears.

Also she may like the Dark Secrets Series by Elizabeth Chandler, they are quite dark and "thriller-y" however definitely gripping.

message 21: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 5 comments Raevyn wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "House of Stairs"

Yes! I second this! It's on my TBR list. :)"

And another vote from me. One of my fondly remembered childhood reads. Ended up buying an old copy a few years ago.

message 23: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (epicfunsize) | 77 comments The Special Ones
The Bunker Diary - though this one is for a little older audience!

message 24: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Wiseman (gillianwiseman) | 146 comments Run, Hide, Fight Back is set in a shopping mall where there is a terrorist incident/shooter. Scary, but I think a younger teen could read it.

House of Stairs is incredibly creepy.

message 25: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Wiseman (gillianwiseman) | 146 comments Naomi Novik's newest book, A Deadly Education is set in a very dark version of Hogwarts, which no student can leave without battling his/her way past monsters to graduate. Many fail.

message 26: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (ryancan564) | 58 comments Reverie superhero teens who find themselves in other people's dream fantasy and must follow the plot of dreams in order to escape without causing chaos