Start by marking “Reverie” as Want to Read:
Reverie

Reverie

Inception meets The Magicians in the most imaginative YA debut of the year!

All Kane Montgomery knows for certain is that the police found him half-dead in the river. He can’t remember how he got there, what happened after, and why his life seems so different now. And it’s not just Kane who’s different, the world feels off, reality itself seems different.

As Kane pieces tog
Published December 3rd 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire

Start your review of Reverie
Kai
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, owned, favorites
"Just because something is imagined doesn't mean it isn't dangerous."

tbh all you need to know is that the main character is so gay his superpowers manifest as rainbows.

I did not see that coming. The charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent of it all. Reverie is a force of nature and you have no idea what epic kind of fantasy you're wading into. Moreover, it's unapologetically queer and magical as fuck. But the most important thing: this is fantasy at its finest. Imaginative, original, real.

Let's
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer
I wanted to love this one SO badly because Ryan is an absolute gem on twitter, but this just did not work for me. I had such a hard time wrapping my brain around the reveries and an even harder time connecting to the characters. Everything just felt disjointed and messy and I am SAD. Brb while I cry myself to sleep bc I didn't love this book like I thought I would

Buddy read with Julie <3
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Well, that was different.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Ryan La Sala
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Quality, gay drivel! A+ queer nonsense!
Phil Stamper
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
drag

queen

sorceress

I AM SO READY FOR THIS
Amy Imogene Reads
3 confused stars

I feel like I simultaneously understood this novel and completely lost the plot.

Writing: ★★★★
Plot: ★★ 1/2
Pacing: ★★★

I wanted so, so badly to love this queer-driven novel that marketed itself as a Inception meets The Magicians. Some of the reviews of Reverie are works of art in their own right, they read like this book is a thrill-ride, a rollercoaster of imagination, and a complex story filled with heart.

I both understand where they are coming from and wish that I had read THAT
Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 28, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest
Recommended to Chelsea by: Sourcebooks
"Inception meets The Magicians, except with better wigs and a maniacal drag queen sorceress attempting to unravel the reality of Connecticut (yes, the state) and replace it with something…well something better than Connecticut.

description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Larry H
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
When you read as much as I do, at times you wonder whether there are still books out there which are totally original, because quite often books tend to feel similar. And then a book like Ryan La Sala's Reverie comes along, which truly knocked me on my ass with its originality, camp, and downright craziness. I marveled at La Sala's storytelling and the creativity of this story, which is billed as Inception meets The Magicians .

"Reveries are what happens when a person’s imagined world
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

I wanted to love Reverie by Ryan La Sala so much!

Reverie has a wonderful cover that draws you in immediately. The plot mentions a boy and a fantasy world that revolves around dreams. Everything I hoped this book would be – it wasn’t.

Kane is a gay teenager who is trying to pick up the pieces of his life back together after an attack leaves him with no memories of the past. He is in the search of who he is and who he was, and he discovers an a
Umairah | Sereadipity
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was the embodiment of a rainbow

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 4.5/5

Reverie was one of the most imaginative, chaotic and unique novels I've ever read. It was a wild, wild roller coaster ride of a book but also one that I feel will resonate with many readers and I enjoyed it very much.

"We are all people between worlds."

The protagonist was Kane Montgomery, a boy who woke up half-dead in a river nearby a burnt down mill with no memory of how it happened or most of his life before. H

Cardan Greenbriar
did somebody say "better wigs"
and "queen sorceress "
and "lgbtq"
and do judge a book by its cover?
Angelica
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
First, let me just say that I love this cover, especially in person. Also, let me say that I had the pleasure of meeting the author last year and he seemed like such a cool person.

Second, let me say that I didn't really like this book, despite really wanting to.

I wanted to love this. I looked for any way that I might rate this higher because I really wanted to be more enthusiastic about this novel, but sadly, my heart cannot in good conscience give this novel more than two stars. Two stars on Go
Isabella
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, lgbtq
to sum it all up: drag queens, dreams, magic and gays
Dennis
This may have been the most campy and ridiculous story I've ever read (in the best way possible), but I loved Ryan La Sala's debut fantasy novel, Reverie ! It was such an original story that gave me Inception and X-Men vibes and I was immediately put in a trance by the story. Reverie will be released December 3, 2019—thank you Sourcebooks Fire for my review copy in exchange for an honest review.

This young adult novel focuses on high school teenager Kane Montgomery and how he maneuvers th
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
2.5/5, rounded up because a) so much queer rep, and b) I freaking love the concept of an evil drag queen.

“Kane shoved down his curiosity, knowing it was useless to expect a drag queen to do anything other than exactly what she wanted.”

When I heard that a book existed where the “evil queen” trope has been transfigured into “drag queen sorceress,” I just knew I had to read it. And it’s a YA fantasy being compared to Inception and full of fabulously queer characters? It sounded like such an exciti
Schizanthus Nerd
The act of crushing a dream can’t be minimised. At best, it’s mean. At worst, it’s murder.
I need to stop getting sucked into book hype vortexes. I keep expecting too much and winding up disappointed, unsure if the let down is real or a result of the height of the pedestal I placed the book upon before I read the first sentence.
“Reveries are what happens when a person’s imagined world becomes real. They’re like miniature realities, with their own plots and rules and perils.”
I absolutely ad
Zoe Stewart (Zoe's All Booked)
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: default
What's this, a new YA fantasy that was wholly disappointing? Colour me surprised! In all seriousness, this book has restored a bit of my hope in YA fantasy. No sign of a love triangle, no unadvertised romance that takes over the plot, I can hardly believe my eyes.

I did find myself a bit confused as to how the Reveries worked, but that was pretty much the only thing that was lacking for me.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jun 06, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Love the synopsis

but

the cover is crooked af

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Bee
Whew, this was very very gay. It's like a magical drag queen vomited rainbows and cupcakes all over this book. And you know what? It was absolutely fantastic. Reverie has been one of my most anticipated reads ever since I first heard about it and it did not disappoint. It was beautiful and magical and not like anything I've read so far.

I really felt for Kane as he tried to put his life back together after a strange accident. He's lost a lot of memories and everything feels strange. I was right t
The Nerd Daily
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Tasha Leigh

Okay, Reverie was frankly my most anticipated novel of this year except for maybe Darkdawn by the King of Stab himself, Jay Kristoff. But that’s neither here nor there. Reverie starts off with Kane, a gay teenager, and his sister Sophia attending a crime scene because Kane lost his memory after stealing and crashing his father’s car into a building and then a creek. Sibling sarcasm ensues and everyone annunciates with jazz hands, whil
Acqua
Reverie is a story about the importance that dreams and fantasy have in people's lives, and how balancing them with reality is just as necessary. It's a story that gets on a deep level why the idea of escaping to a kinder world is so tempting to queer teenagers, but one that is also about learning to not run away from reality.

I think it's important to state that a significant part of my problems with this book come from me wanting it to be something different than what it was. At first, I though
Melissa
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so amazing, really. Not enough words to describe the amazingness of it all.

So many queer characters. The main character's power is shooting rainbow etheral from his hands. That's awesome! And his nemesis is a drag queen. And his love interest. OMG I loved that book!!

The reveries are little universes within themselves, with a mind of their own. Don't try to challenge it (and Kane is sooooo good at that *facepalm*).

Seriously, this book breathes rainbows and queerness, and it's FANT
Mel (Epic Reading)
Well, I hate to say this but Reverie is a bit of a mess. It's sad because Ryan La Sala seems great online and is adorable in general. However none of that can make up for this poorly put together teen novel. All the right elements exist here, and then some, including: a clueless and unreliable lead boy, a strong villain, a cast of supporting characters, a unique concept, lots of action, sibling in peril, magic, etc. And yet it's put together in such a haphazard way that there's no coherency, con ...more
☙ nemo ❧
this has a lot of good ideas, such as the concept of a "reverie", a dream-like state that can pull people into it and have devastating consequences. unfortunately, i think the book failed to deliver on its promise.

kane made some stupid, illogical decisions such as trusting/not trusting certain people that made absolutely no sense and were clearly there only for the furthering of the plot. the plot itself was veryslow-going at first, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but even when it picked u
Robin Graber
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer-as-hell
I should start off by saying, believe the hype. This book was simply fantastic. The premise felt new and the idea of reveries and building worlds was fascinating. And there was queerness everywhere you turned. And even though there were several times I wanted to slap Kane, I was still always rooting for him. But my favorite character was Dean, which I won't say much about so as not to spoil, but I loved his entire story. And don't even get me started on the drag queen. At the end of the day, thi ...more
Caidyn (NO LONGER ACTIVE; he/him/his)
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

DNF at 32%

Honestly, I just couldn't get into the book. The world never captured me and I found it pretty confusing. I loved the writing and the characters interested me, but I was too confused to keep going. I'll definitely try another book by this author, but this one wasn't for me.
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
Yeah no ma'am.

This felt so underdeveloped and it was trying to be unique and offer something new to fantasy, but it was just confusing. The characters weren't fleshed out well at all and just yikes, I'm glad it's over.
Melissa (thereaderandthechef)
*Thanks to Sourcebooks Fire for the review copy in exchange of my honest opinion!*

I LOVED this book! Reverie was one of my highly anticipated reads of 2019 and you cannot imagine my happiness at it being as amazing as it sounded.

Reverie follows Kane Montgomery as he pieces together clues and dreams as to why he was found almost dead in a river, but now dealing with unimaginable worlds that materialize out of nowhere. 😍📚 It is queer, it’s fun, and incredibly EPIC!! (Also, drag queens!!!!)

Side no
Lost in a Book
May 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wtr-mm
I’m unable to resist this descriptor...

Drag. Queen. Sorceress.

Yasssss. *grabby hands*
Lance
"He thought of the gloomy, covert life so many queer people were forced to live as they found another one in time and a world that could not adjust to them. He thought of secret meetings and secret names, and the secret sadness that grew like mold in the humidity of a life kept closed."

"The reverie was not just dreams and whimsy, like Kane had thought. It was a person's psychology, rendered in vivid fantasy."

ARC obtained at the Sourcebooks Booth at Bookcon 2019.

4.5 Stars rounded up, but f
ILS Period 1 2020: Book Spotlight-- Reverie 1 1 Jan 22, 2020 10:35AM
ILS Period 7 2020: Book Spotlight-- Reverie 1 1 Jan 22, 2020 10:35AM
Period 4 ILS 2020: Book Spotlight-- Reverie 1 1 Jan 22, 2020 10:32AM

• A Madness of Sunshine
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • What Happened That Night
  • Reputation
  • Tiger Queen
  • Your Destination Is on the Left
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Anyone
  • The Okay Witch
  • Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • Nexus (The Androma Saga #2)
  • Suggested Reading
  • People of the Lake
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Full Disclosure

Articles featuring this book

As dedicated readers already know, some of the best and most innovative stories on the shelves come from the constantly evolving realm of y...
“If you look at most female archetypes—the mother, the virgin, the whore—their power comes from their relation to men. But not the Witch. The Witch derives her power from nature. She calls forth her dreams with spells and incantations. With poetry. And I think that’s why we are frightened of them. What’s scarier to the world of men than a woman limited only by her imagination?” 7 likes
“What’s scarier to the world of man than a woman limited only by her imagination?” 5 likes