The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 30.2 - Ms. Anderson's Task: My Own Words

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Aug 18, 2015 04:24AM) (new)

Sandy | 16173 comments Mod
30.2. Ms Anderson's Task: My Own Words

As some of you know, I'm a writer, and in the past two years I've published my first two books, both of which have been well-received by strangers, friends, and students alike. Now, off to work on my next one!

Read two books, from two different options.
REQUIRED: Indicate the options you chose.

Option 1: In honor of my first book, a novel-in-verse, read a book with the genre "Poetry" on the main page. As per the SRC rules, more than one book may be used to make up the 100 page requirement.

Option 2: In honor of my second book, a gamebook fantasy novel, read a book from this list: Adult Choose Your Own Adventure Books. Please note: not all books on this list meet SRC requirements.

The book must be read completely, covering all outcomes.

Option 3: In honor of my current writing project, read a book with the genre "Childrens > Middle Grade" on the main page. Please note: All SRC requirements for childrens books apply.

Option 4: Finally, in honor of my AMAZING editors and readers, who willingly dissect everything I write and aren't afraid to tell me when it's drivel, read a book by an author* with one of the following names: Catherine, Daniel, Evan, Jean, Melissa, or Seth. No variations. The name can appear as first, last, or middle name, but it must be part of the author's name as it appears on Goodreads.

*Only authors that are identified as authors (or a default blank in the author role field), co-authors, or contributors may be used for tasks involving author information. Other roles or functions such as editor, illustrator, artist, translator, introduction, designed by, foreword, preface, assistant or afterword may not be used for author-sourced tasks. Ask about other roles identified in a Goodreads record in the season's General Questions help thread.

message 2: by Megan (last edited Aug 17, 2015 05:32AM) (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Option 1
Yes
Under the Mesquite
No

Option 2
Yes
No

Option 3
Yes
Inside the Shadow City
The Giver
Messenger
West of the Moon
Zia
No

Option 4
Yes
No

message 3: by Megan (last edited Aug 16, 2015 08:28AM) (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Leaving the relevant parts of the Children's Book Rule from the SRC Rules post and the AR Bookfinder link here for easy access :D

http://www.arbookfind.com/default.aspx

4. Any book that has "childrens" or "kids" listed as a genre on its main page MUST be validated in the following manner:
a) The book MUST be found on AR BookFinder and/or AR BookFinder UK. ISBNs may be entered.

b) Books with an Interest Level (IL) designation of LG are NOT allowed for points in the SRC. The AR BookFinder UK equivalent for LG is LY.

c) Books that have an IL designation of MG+ or UG may be used with no restrictions (other than general SRC and specific task requirements). The AR BookFinder UK equivalent for UG is UY. However, you must state the IL designation when you post the book.

d) Books that have an IL designation of MG MUST ALSO have a BL of 5.0 (or higher) AND AR Pts of 7.0 (or higher). The AR BookFinder UK equivalent for MG is MY.

All AR Bookfinder information including scores MUST be posted when the book is claimed for points or no points will be awarded (You can copy the AR BookFinder ratings)

message 4: by Sandy (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Hello!

Could I get Inside the Shadow City (Kiki Strike,#1) by Kirsten Miller verified for Children's > Middle Grade, please? Thank you!

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Cait wrote: "Hello!

Could I get Inside the Shadow City (Kiki Strike,#1) by Kirsten Miller verified for Children's > Middle Grade, please? Thank you!"

It's good. Enjoy!

message 7: by Teodora (new)

Teodora Paslaru | 76 comments Can I get The Giver verified for Children's > Middle Grade, please?

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Teodora wrote: "Can I get The Giver verified for Children's > Middle Grade, please?"

Yes. I love that book! I read it every year :D

message 9: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Please verify Messenger for Children's > Middle Grade, thank you!

message 10: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Can we read a Ellen Hopkins Book for option 1?

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Camilla wrote: "Please verify Messenger for Children's > Middle Grade, thank you!"

That will work (saved by the MG+). Enjoy!

~~~~~

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Can we read a Ellen Hopkins Book for option 1?"

You can! As long as the genre "poetry" is on the main page, you're good.

message 12: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Just getting genre verified for: West of the Moon

IL: MG - BL: 5.2 - AR Pts: 7.0

message 13: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Megan wrote: "Camilla wrote: "Please verify Messenger for Children's > Middle Grade, thank you!"

That will work (saved by the MG+). Enjoy!

~~~~~

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Can we read a Elle..."

cool thanks

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3762 comments Please verify for Option 3 - Childrens>Middle Grade
Zia (Island of the Blue Dolphins, #2) by Scott O'Dell

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Morgan wrote: "Just getting genre verified for: West of the Moon

IL: MG - BL: 5.2 - AR Pts: 7.0

Looks good! :D

~~~~~

Book Concierge wrote: "Please verify for Option 3 - Childrens>Middle Grade
Zia (Island of the Blue Dolphins, #2) by Scott O'Dell"

Approved!

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3762 comments Please verify for Option 1 - POETRY on main page
Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Please verify for Option 1 - POETRY on main page
Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall"

Approved. I liked this one, too.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments Could you please verify The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More for Option 3?

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Could you please verify The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More for Option 3?"

Approved. Looks good, too!

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments Megan wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Could you please verify The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More for Option 3?"

Approved. Looks good, too!"

Thanks!

message 21: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1784 comments Just clarifying Option 4: The name has to be an exact match, not included in larger word?

My understanding is that The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans or Wonder Woman: The Complete History by Les Daniels would not work because of the S on the end of the name. Is that right?

(I wasn't necessarily planning to read either of those, but wanted to check early on.)

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Julia wrote: "Just clarifying Option 4: The name has to be an exact match, not included in larger word?

My understanding is that The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans or [book:Wonde..."

You're right, the names must be exact.

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7686 comments what are the odds i'd actually find one of the adult choose your own adventure books already on my pile...lol

message 24: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 908 comments Could I get this verified for Children's>Middle Grade? Right now, it's at the bottom. Thanks!

Jacob Have I Loved

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Dee wrote: "what are the odds i'd actually find one of the adult choose your own adventure books already on my pile...lol"

That's awesome! Which one? :D

~~~~~

Ann A wrote: "Could I get this verified for Children's>Middle Grade? Right now, it's at the bottom. Thanks!

Jacob Have I Loved"

Approved!

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Hey, everyone! Just so you know--I'm going to be leaving tomorrow (the 20th) for vacation. I won't be back until the 25th, and I won't be checking my GR messages or anything while I'm away. I promise I'll answer any questions when I return! Have a great time planning for the challenge! :D

message 27: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2392 comments genre verification for Silver On The Tree Childrens-Middle Grade please

(IL: MY - BL: 6.0 - AR Pts: 14.0)

Thanks!

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7686 comments Megan wrote: "Dee wrote: "what are the odds i'd actually find one of the adult choose your own adventure books already on my pile...lol"

That's awesome! Which one? :D

it was the Jayne Rylon one - Pick Your Pleasure (is 19th on the list right now)

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Catherine wrote: "genre verification for Silver On The Tree Childrens-Middle Grade please

(IL: MY - BL: 6.0 - AR Pts: 14.0)

Thanks!"

Replying in Ms Anderson's absence - genre Childrens>Middle Grade is noted.

message 30: by Ava Catherine (last edited Aug 22, 2015 11:33AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments May I get a confirmation that Ingo by Helen Dunmore has been shelved Childrens > Middle Grade by 18 users? ( when you return)
I am afraid it will slip away.
It has a MG+ designation on AR.

Thank you.

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Connie wrote: "May I get a confirmation that Ingo by Helen Dunmore has been shelved Childrens > Middle Grade by 18 users? ( when you return)
I am afraid it will slip away.
It has a..."

Children>Middle Grade genre noted.

message 32: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Thanks, Sandy!

message 33: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 422 comments Please note The True Confessions Of Charlotte Doyle for option 3. Thanks.
IL: MG - BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 8.0

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Valerie wrote: "Please note The True Confessions Of Charlotte Doyle for option 3. Thanks.
IL: MG - BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 8.0"

Children>Middle Grade genre noted

message 35: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Please verify The House of the Scorpion as childrens>middle grade. It's at the bottom of a long genre list.
IL: MG+

message 36: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Diane Whitney wrote: "Please verify The House of the Scorpion as childrens>middle grade. It's at the bottom of a long genre list.
IL: MG+"

You're good. Enjoy!

message 37: by KSMary (last edited Aug 30, 2015 12:25PM) (new)

KSMary | 819 comments Please verify The Graveyard Book for Opt 3 Children>Middle Grade
IL: MG+ - BL: 5.1 - AR Pts: 10.0
OR
Peter and the Starcatchers
IL: MG - BL: 5.2 - AR Pts: 13.0

Not sure which one that I will use.

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments KSMary wrote: "Please verify The Graveyard Book for Opt 3 Children>Middle Grade
IL: MG+ - BL: 5.1 - AR Pts: 10.0
OR
Peter and the Starcatchers
IL: MG - BL: 5.2 - AR Pts: 13.0

Not sure..."

Both are approved. I liked The Graveyard Book better, personally, and the MG+ means you don't need to post the BL/AR Points for it. They're both good, though.

message 39: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 819 comments Thanks, Meagan! I was kind of leaning towards The Graveyard Book

message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Could you verify Scat for Children's > Middle Grade, please? Thanks!

message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Could you verify Scat for Children's > Middle Grade, please? Thanks!"

Approved. Enjoy! :D

message 42: by Sandy (new)

Please verify The Finisher as Childrens>Middle Grade.

Thanks!

message 43: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Sandy wrote: "Please verify The Finisher as Childrens>Middle Grade.

Thanks!"

Looks good. Enjoy!

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Megan wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Please verify The Finisher as Childrens>Middle Grade.

Thanks!"

Looks good. Enjoy!"

Thanks!

message 45: by puppitypup (last edited Sep 18, 2015 12:37AM) (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Please confirm for Option 3

A Horse Called Hero by Sam Angus

And for Option 4, two possibilities
The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1) by Daniel O'Malley
The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

Cherish by Catherine Anderson
Cherish by Catherine Anderson

message 46: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments puppitypup wrote: "Please confirm for Option 3

And for Option 4, two possibilities
[bookcover:The Rook|1352..."

All approved! Enjoy :D

message 47: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments Option 3: The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan Childrens > Middle Grade

Option 4: Lady Be Mine by Catherine Spencer

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Claire wrote: "Option 3: The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan Childrens > Middle Grade

Option 4: Lady Be Mine by Catherine Spencer"

Lady Be Mine is approved for the name Catherine.

The Titan's Curse is not approved--while it has the correct genre, it doesn't fit the AR rule (must be BL 5.0 or above; this book is only 4.2). Surprisingly for how long they are and how convoluted they can be, almost none of his books fit the AR rule >_> However, if you want to read something by him, the book Guys Read: Other Worlds does fit the rules and contains one of his short stories.

message 49: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Silly question, but I want to make sure this book is ok for the task.

For Option 4, you mention the name Jean.

Will this author work?

Jean Teulé

I ask because in this case it's a French name, and the author is a man

Thanks!

message 50: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Pia wrote: "Silly question, but I want to make sure this book is ok for the task.

For Option 4, you mention the name Jean.

Will this author work?

Jean Teulé

I ask because in this case it's ..."

That's fine, even though the author is a guy. It's spelled the same, which is what matters :D

« previous 1