Start by marking “The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More” as Want to Read:
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  16,655 Ratings  ·  857 Reviews
Seven stories of fantasy and fun by the fantastic Roald Dahl.
The Mildenhall Treasure - a true tale of fortune found and an opportunity lost.
The Wonderful Story of Hen
Published September 11th 2001 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1977)

PorshaJo
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this one up after seeing a review on GR and started it almost two months ago. It's a book of short stories and I would pick it up when I needed a quick break from work, current reading, chores, etc. So it taking me two months to read was not a sign of it being boring. All this and I probably had too many books going on at once.

This book contains stories that are quite different from some of the usual Dahl books. Some are pretty short and some are longer, with a total of seven stories. T
Mariah
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mariah by: Matt
This book is made up of multiple short stories by Roald Dahl.
- "The Boy Who Talked With Animals - in which a stranded sea turtle and a small boy have more in common than meets the eye.
- The Hitchhiker - proves that in a pinch a professional pickpocket can be the perfect pal.
- The Mildenhall Treasure - a true tale of fortune found and an opportunity lost.
- The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar - in which a modern-day Robin Hood brings joy to the hearts of orphans - and fear to the souls of casino ow
Didn't everyone try to learn to see through things using the flame trick like Henry Sugar?
Rich Wong
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading one of my all time favorite books or more accurately short stories by Road Dahl. While the story of Henry Sugar is far less known than James and the Giant Peach or Charile and the Chocolate Factory ... as much as I loved those stories growing up, its Henry Sugar that stuck with me the most. And despite having first read this over 30+ years ago, enjoy it just as much as an adult. Highly recommended
Rachel
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Jumping back into Roald Dahl literature has been one of the best experiences in terms of reading this year.

I never considered that I would enjoy short stories so much. Stories that you start and finish before going to bed. Such a refreshing feeling. As a lover of Roald Dahl's stories in childhood, his writing style is one of the most easy to read and grabs-you-by-the-writing-and-plot-and-never-lets-you-go. This was such a great read and overall, my rating was based on my enjoyment.

Ratings for ea
Hilda
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Roald Dahl's books always have wonderful effect on me.

When I read The Witches, I thanked God I didn't meet any witch as a child.
When I read Matilda, I think she's the brightest girl ever.
When I read Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, I believe that there is a very big and magical chocolate factory somewhere in this world.
When I read the Magic Finger, suddenly I have some hatred to these animal hunters.
When I read Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator, I wish that I can go to space hotel as well.
W
Michael Fogleman
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Re-read the main story but I read all of them as a kid. Was poking through the others and found this gem, from Lucky Break:

"Here are some of the qualities you should possess or should try to acquire if you wish to be fiction writer:

1. You should have a lively imagination.
2. You should be able to write well. By that I mean you should be able to make a scene come alive in the reader's mind. Not everybody has this ability. It is a gift, and you either have it or you don't.
3. You must have stamina.
Yuthika
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've always been mesmerised by Roald Dahl - but Henry Sugar holds a special place in my heart. A story I could read again and again.
Neda
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Well I enjoyed this collection of short stories much :) Especially the first two & the last two :)
The Boy who talked with Animals was just a great one & the Hitch Hiker was hilarious :D
The Wonderful story of Henry Sugar was indeed wonderful & the last one which was rather autobiographical was amazing :) Wish these stories wouldn't end..
Rachelle
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After falling in love with Dahl (via Matilda), I read this fantastic collection of short stories. A couple are actually written for adults but were tame enough to transfer well to a younger audience. The tales had such a profound effect on me that I remember them clearly to this day (despite not having read this collection since the umpteenth time when I was in my teens), and I still think fondly about one of them in particular on a regular basis. If I were to be trapped on a desert island with ...more
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you could see with your eyes closed, how would you use your power? That’s what Henry has to decide in one of the seven stories in this extraordinary collection.

"The Boy Who Talked With Animals" >> Is about a young tourist boy at a beach resort who seeks to free a giant sea turtle which has been captured by the hotel management. This sounds like a children's story, but the characterization and the setting are quite adult.

"The Hitchhiker" >> Is an amusing tale about a British hitch
Dolly
This is a wonderful collection of short stories, a collection of tales that could only come from the inimitable Roald Dahl. We read this book slowly, at most one story each night, and savored each one.

That is, until we got to the middle of the book. For some reason, once we came to the title tale, we stopped. cold. As in, couldn't seem to pick the book up again for more than a year. I tried, believe me. I put the book on hold, borrowed it, and even tried to start the story, but we just never go
Julie
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it
I was really torn about giving this 3 or 4 stars. I loved two of the stories especially, but the others were a little more average. The whole collection really wasn't what I expected, after my many years of reading Dahl's books. Unlike his children's books (which is where this book is shelved), there are very few children involved and while the stories do have some whimsical elements they aren't nearly as fantastical as his books. I was trying to decide the whole time if I would have liked the s ...more
Binibining `E (Maria Eleynita)
I enjoyed reading this book. It is a collection of Short Stories. Some of my favorites where:

The Boy who talked with Animals. - I love the turtle!!
The Mildenhall Treasure - which is based on a true story
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar - Sugar Yes Please!! hahaha!!
and
Lucky Break

I love Roald Dahl. I love how his imagination works. I love his books and it is such a great joy to read them. This book tells us of 7 Different Stories which all of them are amazing. I love the story of Henry Sugar and
Andy
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, 2011
This is another book which has sat on various shelves for many months now before finally being completed. The short stories (7 of them) are mainly directed at an older age group though touch on similar themes to his younger work. My copy has a different cover which doesn't appear here.

I've read 'The Hitch-hiker' before and enjoyed it, found 'The Swan' quite dark and disturbing (taking the bullying of his younger books to more dangerous regions). 'Henry Sugar' though felt a little disappointing.
Anna Kļaviņa
4. The Swan
5. The Wonderful Story of Henry
6. Lucky Break nonfiction
7. A Piece of Cake nonfiction

This collection is being labeled by the publisher as teenage fiction which in my opinion it's not. Anyway, grown ups should read this collection too, especially these who only knows Dahl by his children books.

Cristine
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books for kids. I remember my Mom reading it to us as kids during our Cape Cod vacation. I read it with Hope, Gracie and Henry (he loves the name of the book). It is a great story about how people can change & has a metaphysical bent. Read it aloud to a kid.
Maria
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Remembering the joy of reading Road Dahl as a child, I felt very excited when I received ‘The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar, And Six More’ as a birthday present. I read this book eagerly and was not disappointed. With seven short stories to capture the reader; including fiction and non-fiction, Roald Dahl once again writes with imagination, wit and intelligence. His use of description throughout these stories is spot on, enabling the reader to conjure some fantastic images. From a boy who can t ...more
Lara Messersmith-Glavin
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Roald Dahl is one of my heroes. I can't imagine what my internal childscape would have been like without the company of his characters. His work walks a deliciously fine line with the frightening - funny, magical worlds filled with enough perverse imagination to bring out the darkness in wonder. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory always frightened me a little, as did James and the Giant Peach. Something about the uncontrollable and occasionally violent craziness of the former, and the horror of ...more
jill
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lani
Collection of 6 of Roald Dahl's stories, including three non-fiction works. Unsurprisingly, his non-fiction isn't as amazing as his fiction, but it's still pretty excellent. One of the non-fiction pieces is the story of how he became a writer, and Dahl says in it that he doesn't really like to write non-fiction because what he loves about writing is inventing stories. It reminds me of an Elie Wiesel quote that I love (and once considered getting as a tattoo): "God created Man because he loves st ...more
Kate
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was quite surprised when I read this book, after reading all of Dahl's children's stories. The title suggests that these are happy wonder-filled stories. They are, however, written more for adults or at least teens. The title story involves a man who wanted to be able to cheat at cards by "seeing" through them, and goes off on a huge spiritual journey to study with a yogi to learn how to do this. There was another story about a boy who rides a sea turtle.

The story that sticks out most in my m
Earline
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually interested in non-fiction, even Roald Dahl admits he isn't either, but his three non-fiction short stories collected in this book will blow you away.

Out of the seven stories in this book, my favorites would have to be:

"The Hitchhiker" - Loved the ending! did not see it coming! Also the Tales of the Unexpected episode based on this story rawks! Check it out.

"The Mildenhall Treasure" - true story about the two ordinary men who found one of the biggest collections of Roman silver in
Hannah Garden
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yesterday was bright and windy and sunny and I went to Park Slope to meet up with Danny and then Kevin turned up and I hadn't seen either of them in a long time and we all love each other SO DEARLY so there was a lot of grinning and hugs and they are so funny and kind and good, and then Kevin had to go so Danny and I sat in the green cool grass in the park and watched dogs and a beetle crawled on me and then Danny had to go so I went to the comic book store and then it was almost time for Andrew ...more
César Lasso
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brit-lit
El título original de esta recopilación de relatos es The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More. No es de los libros que más me ha gustado de Dahl, pero su lectura entretiene y no perderás nada si cae en tus manos. Una cosa que me llamó la atención es que la mayoría de las narraciones breves de Dahl van dirigidas a un público adulto, pero esta recopilación me parece que también podría ser disfrutada por jóvenes lectores de, pongamos por caso, 14 o 15 años.

El primer relato del libro me pare
baRbRa
Jun 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-wee-bookworm
As you can tell, I loved - still love - Roald Dahl. This was one of my favorite books - one, because it's all short stories and two, I wanted to be Henry Sugar. I even tried the candle bit.

"A Piece of Cake" is also well-worth the read. It's autobiographical and if you've read Boy and his other books about himself, you'll enjoy it too. His life is almost unbelievable. Needless to say, I also wanted to be him too when I was young.
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Roald Dahl's other books but I found these short stories to be lacking.
Bettie☯
Read by Martin Jarvis

Just the titular story, which was enjoyable.
:O)
Dina
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le doy 2,5 porque realmente me ha decepcionado mucho-mucho. Hay varias historias zafias y que me han resultado hasta desagradables. Creo que el Roald Dahl adulto no me va a gustar tanto como el infantil, porque esa "crueldad" de sus historias para niños es demasiado cruda en su versión para mayores...
Minh Trang
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Mình đọc cuốn này lâu dễ sợ, đến hàng tháng trời 😂 mỗi lần lại đọc một xíu.

Trong cuốn này có 7 truyện ngắn, và mình thấy 5 truyện đầu tiên rất rất hay. 2 truyện cuối cùng thì lê thê và thiếu tình tiết quá :'))

Nhưng cũng không sao lắm :)) mình vẫn thích đọc Roald Dahl như thường.
Chalchihut
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not Dahl's best, but he's never even average. It contains three non-fictional writings, which is interesting to read by Dahl when his style is based on fictional stories.

I don't know how many writers can write a story so simply and intriguingly at the same time. It always feels sad to finish a book by him, when the worlds he create feel more real than the reality. His books make me feel butterflies in my stomach.

I already miss this book. I don't think it will be long to read somethi
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain #2)
  • The Animal Family
  • Wicked History Of The World
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • The Ogre Downstairs
  • The Animal Review: The Genius, Mediocrity, and Breathtaking Stupidity That Is Nature
  • Bagthorpes Unlimited: Being the Third Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #3)
  • The Fox Cub Bold (Farthing Wood, #4)
  • D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death (Snarkout Boys, #1)
  • Go Jump in the Pool! (MacDonald Hall, #2)
  • Perloo The Bold
  • The Long Secret (Harriet the Spy #2)
  • The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull (Johnny Dixon, #3)

More about Roald Dahl...
“Some people when they have taken too much and have been driven beyond the point of endurance, simply crumble and give up. There are others, though they are not many, who will for some reason always be unconquerable. You meet them in time of war and also in time of peace. They have an indomitable spirit and nothing, neither pain nor torture nor threat of death, will cause them to give up.” 32 likes
“And it was then I began to realize for the first time that there are two distinct sides to a writer of fiction. First, there is the side he displays to the public, that of an ordinary person like anyone else, a person who does ordinary things and speaks ordinary language. Second, there is the secret side, which comes out in him only after he has closed the door of his workroom and is completely alone. It is then that he slips into another world altogether, a world where his imagination takes over and he finds himself actually living in the places he is writing about at that moment. I myself, if you want to know, fall into a kind of trance, and everything around me disappears. I see only the point of my pencil moving over the paper, and quite often two hours go by as though they were a couple of seconds.” 16 likes