Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Archives Retired Folder Threads > Collecting Dust March 2014 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
This is a monthly challenge for those readers who have had books forever on their TBR list.

This challenge will help you get those books finally read.

If you wish to participate then from your TBR bookshelf list 5 books that you would like to read for the month of March. The next member who comments will pick two choices from your list. You are only obligated to read 1 of those books, but you may choose to read both. Once you read it, let us know and you may add your review or link to your review!

I think you know the rules by now.

Let's have fun reducing our TBR piles.

message 2: by Daisy (last edited Feb 03, 2014 05:02PM) (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) 1. Fables, Jean de La Fontaine
2. Lost Illusions, Honoré de Balzac
3. The Unfortunate Traveller and Other Works, Thomas Nashe
4.An Ethiopian Romance, Heliodorus
5. The Princesse de Clèves, Madame de La Fayette

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie Cote Daisy,

For you I choose Fables and Lost Illusions. I haven't read either but have been meaning to read some Balzac.

My list of 5 is:

1) So Big by Edna Ferber
2) The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
3) Trying to Save Piggy Sneed by John Irving
4) Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
5) If Morning Ever Comes by Anne Tyler

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie Cote Bookworm wrote: "I don't know any of those Daisy, however, the two i choose would be 'The House of the Seven Gables' and 'If Morning Ever Comes'!

It's not Daisy you are choosing for, it is me, Connie. I chose for Daisy. Now my job is to try and read the 2 you chose for me and someone else will choose 2 off your list for you to read. Thanks for your choices. these 2 have been sitting in a TBR pile for awhile.

My List of five are:

1. Persuasion by Jane Austen
2. Tess of the D..."

message 5: by Diana S (last edited Feb 05, 2014 08:12AM) (new)

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

message 9: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

message 10: by Andrea (last edited Feb 24, 2014 12:43PM) (new)

Andrea Bob,
I am choosing Of Human Bondage or The House on the Strand for you to read in the month of March.

I took the top 5 that have been sitting on my TBR list the longest:
The Book Thief
Moloka'i
The Historian
Cutting for Stone
These Is My Words

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Daisy, as you were the first to post your books for March; will you choose for the last person again? Thanks

Anyone else in for March? February ends on Friday!

message 12: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I'll be sneaking in on the last day again ;-)

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

:) LOL

message 14: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments heh ~

message 15: by MK (last edited Feb 28, 2014 05:17AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Andrea wrote: "...I took the top 5 that have been sitting on my TBR list the longest:
The Book Thief
Moloka'i
The Historian
Cutting for Stone
These Is My Words "

Andrea, I'll be right back with your choice. Still clicking through the titles ;-).

And for my books, here are my remainders from February, plus an addition:

1. Oh, Waiter! One Order of Crow!: Inside the Strangest Presidential Election Finish in American History, by Jeff Greenfield
2. The Time in Between, by Maria Duenas
4. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford
5. The House At Riverton, by Kate Morton
6. The Valkyries, by Paulo Coelho

Brb! :)

Edit ... Ahhh that was hard! I changed my mind six times! Great books. I'm surprised I'm not choosing The Book Thief, because I just finished it myself (and loved it!). But... for your two books, Andrea, I choose:

· Moloka'i, by Alan Brennert, and/or
· The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova

(I almost changed my mind again, when I was typing title name in the add book dropbox!

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea MK wrote: "Andrea wrote: "...I took the top 5 that have been sitting on my TBR list the longest:
The Book Thief
Moloka'i
The Historian
Cutting for Stone
These Is My Words "

Andrea, I'll be right back with yo..."

Thanks MK! So funny about the Book Thief…I was secretly hoping someone would pick that one but I'm very happy with your choices and I'll probably read both of them!

Who is supposed to pick for you? Last day of February….

message 17: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments D'oh! Now I wish I did pick The Book Thief! I really had a hard time deciding between your books, Andrea!!

If no one else signs up by morning, then Daisy is supposed to pick for me since she was first. But if she doesn't wander in tomorrow morning, I'll be happy with anyone picking :-)

message 18: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments I am currently stuck in the middle of The Historian. Still 400 pages to go... And it's already abridged! It has its good parts but should have been shortened even more.

message 19: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Tytti wrote: "I am currently stuck in the middle of The Historian. Still 400 pages to go... And it's already abridged! It has its good parts but should have been shortened even more."

that sounds like a good book!

message 20: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments MK wrote: "that sounds like a good book!"

Well it's thick. If it were very good I would have finished it already... IMO it's not good enough to be 845 pages long.

message 21: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments heh ... I hear ya, Tytti.

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Tytti wrote: "MK wrote: "that sounds like a good book!"

Well it's thick. If it were very good I would have finished it already... IMO it's not good enough to be 845 pages long."

Thanks for clearing things up for me Tytti.

I'll read Moloka'i first, then The Book Thief which will also knock-off the letters M and B in the A-Z challenge. I'll squeeze The Historian in at the end of March if I have any time left.

message 23: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments So far, I've only ever managed to finish one of my tbrs in the 'collecting dust' challenge. If you know off THREE~! wow, that's impressive :D

message 24: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Andrea wrote: "I'll read Moloka'i first..."

My friend gave it four stars so it's not bad and I'd like to finish it because it IS actually almost scary at times (for me anyway, I don't read horror). It's just moves on different times so I feel there is too much repetition. And it's great if you like travelling.

message 25: by MK (last edited Mar 01, 2014 03:19PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments March is closed to new signups (signup for April is here!). Let's have some fun reviews, happy reading :).

Will some kind Samaritan please pick a tbr from my list for me, por favor? Danke! :)

message 26: by Tytti (new)

message 27: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Thankyou, Tytti! (And, yes, of course!)

message 28: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments I took a look at that Riverton book in a store some time ago, someone recommended to people who like Downton Abbey.

message 29: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I read her The Forgotten Garden for the January Collecting Dust Challenge, and enjoyed it very much.

message 30: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

So I loved A Monster Calls, I really had no idea what the book was really about. Well worth my reading time.

message 31: by Connie (new)

Connie Cote I read one of my books for this challenge - If Morning Ever Comes . I was rather disappointed in it. The characters were rather bland and the story wasn't that interesting. I have read other Ann Tyler books that I have enjoyed so was looking forward to this one. Oh, well! At least it won't be taking up room on my shelf any more.

message 32: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Nice job, Kathy and Connnie! Finishing early. I started mine the first day or two -- then an avalanche of books came in at the library, so I had to set it aside until the end of the month.

I've read one Ann Tyler, Connie. Thx for steering me clear of a bland charactered one!

Kathy .... skeeryyy!! (I'm such a wimp :p)

message 33: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Yes, but it is not a scary book -- I thought it was too.

message 34: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments huh! I thought it would have been, from the description! Good to know :)

message 35: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
It's the last week of the month and I have finally started Of Human Bondage, I should finish before the end of the month, but there's not a chance of reading The House on the Strand, so back on the shelf it goes. Reading was limited this month 14 days spent on Moby-Dick; or, The Whale and five days out of town for business has left a big hole in my reading. Its hard to catch up once you fall behind.

message 36: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Yes, I am still not done with Moby Dick. I plan to get back to it this week.

message 37: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Bob wrote: "I Its hard to catch up once you fall behind. ..."

So true! Welcome home. Hope you had a successful trip :)

message 38: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) Bob wrote: "I should finish before the end of the month, but there's not a chance of reading The House on the Strand."

Have you all any idea how many Fables are in Fables de LaFontaine...? Let me tell ya . . . zillions. And, written in 17th century French. And, with multitudinous references to Greek mythology of which I know next to nothing (although my knowledge on this subject is a little less sketchy now).

Which means, like you Bob, my second choice is going back on the shelf.

message 39: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

The goal is to finish one, so hey we are all doing okay here.

message 40: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Tytti wrote: "Can I pick? Then I would choose:

The House At Riverton
and
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet"

Tytti, I'm late! I'm still in-progress with Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, but I'll finish it this month :p